Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling this winter - Covid Passes

Poster: A snowHead
Do we need Covid Passes to travel from the UK to Europe this winter?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@welshflyer, que?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I might still keep my vaccination info to hand when travelling...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not yet
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, well, it's certainly not even being talked about (very much) here ... (not that I'm particularly well informed) ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well we've all got our NHS apps now, haven't we, with the result of every blood and stool test for years.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can see a use for the Oxford colon there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Well we've all got our NHS apps now, haven't we, with the result of every blood and stool test for years.....

It has been postponed again I think, and unless you request it, it will only be future information.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just checked. I have information from a series of 2021 tests but yes, no previous ones!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@welshflyer, in fairness, would it not be more sensible to have a look at the handy gov travel guides than asking random anonymous fools with dodgy senses of humour on the interpipes?

I mean, my opinions include - that vaccine passports are an excellent idea, enforcing hand cleansing compensates well for disgusting people who don't wash their hands after weeing, and that in the interests of slope safety, skiing should require a licence of competence and people should learn on 2m skinny skis (I have a collection of which that I'd be delighted to contribute to the cause) until gaining said licence.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not expecting to need it but the covid pass for travel is on my phone and valid until the end of December. It doesn't accunt for the recent booster and I'm assuming I'll be able to download an update?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@welshflyer, in fairness, would it not be more sensible to have a look at the handy gov travel guides than asking random anonymous fools with dodgy senses of humour on the interpipes?

I mean, my opinions include - that vaccine passports are an excellent idea, enforcing hand cleansing compensates well for disgusting people who don't wash their hands after weeing, and that in the interests of slope safety, skiing should require a licence of competence and people should learn on 2m skinny skis (I have a collection of which that I'd be delighted to contribute to the cause) until gaining said licence.

Just curious, why do you think vaccine passports are a good idea? The last year has exposed the reality and effectiveness of vaccines. A vaccinated vs unvaccinated person poses the exact same risk to the public. It's really just a personal preference at this point.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
squidy wrote:

Just curious, why do you think vaccine passports are a good idea? The last year has exposed the reality and effectiveness of vaccines. A vaccinated vs unvaccinated person poses the exact same risk to the public. It's really just a personal preference at this point.

A vaccine dramatically reduces the effect of serious illness. As a result it will reduce attendance at GPs, EDs and hospital admissions. Overloading of the NHS is a serious public health risk.

So your statement that "A vaccinated vs unvaccinated person poses the exact same risk to the public" is erroneous. An unvaccinated person is more likely to be admitted to hospital with serious Covid illness and there is data to back up this assertion. (https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o5). That unvaccinated person consuming vital NHS resources and affecting the outcomes for other non-covid cases.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NoMapNoCompass, In which case, shouldn't vaccine passports only be compulsory for the over 50s or those with co-morbs, given the risk of serious illness for everyone else (and therefore the chance they would overload the NHS) is tiny.
snow report
Desperately hope not, as both me and hubby will be more than 1 year after our boosters, so doesnt that make us be classed as Unvaccinated according to other European countries? Similarly my 13yr old has only had the 2 doses without a booster so again would count as Unvaccinated?

None of us are allowed to have the additional boosters due to our ages. Only my 16yr old would be as when she turned 16 she was magically allowed that booster.
snow conditions
Swiss Federal Office of Public Health web pages on Travel:

'There are currently no entry restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. No proof of vaccination, recovery or testing is required for entry into Switzerland.'

But if you read the various pages, they do caveat that you should be prepared to carry a vaccination certificate when visiting the country, if you have one, as on a local basis there may be further outbreaks that require various measures. One of which might be the production of a vaccination certificate to enter premises etc.

What I interpret this to mean for me is that it's sensible to bring along my Covid vaccination certificate, as it'll still be valid when I visit. Just as a precaution in case something happens while I'm there. But that for anyone else who doesn't have a valid one, it won't matter.
snow conditions
In some countries like Austria and Spain you may need a mask on public transport and in pharmacies.

Otherwise, thankfully, all COVID restrictions have been lifted. Unless you go skiing in China.
latest report
@squidy, also per @NoMapNoCompass, vaccination at a population level reduces transmission, by manifold mechanisms, including but not limited to reducing the duration of infection. It truly is not a "personal preference".

Vaccination passports, at least as managed in France, were a quite effective means to encourage vaccine take up.

Anyway, far more important and worrying for most people should be that in the unlikely event that I became Elon Musk, and bought all the European skis resorts, I would mandate 2m skinny skis until I deemed skiers adequately proficient.

This would be very amusing for me, maybe not so much for many folks.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 2-12-22 11:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
There was some talk from various "health experts" here at the end of the summer / early autumn of large waves of corona by early winter. If that happened there was also talk (and no more than that) of going back to 3G etc. However that is not how things have panned out and no suggestions now it is going to happen. The issues with vaccinations are the same everywhere ie the number of people who have had a 4th shot are relatively small and most people would not have had a jab in a year or so which would call into question the validity of the certificate. No harm in carrying the current ones around but the chances of needing them are close to zero, plenty of other things to worry about!
ski holidays
HilbertSpace wrote:
In some countries like Austria and Spain you may need a mask on public transport and in pharmacies.

In Austria, this only applies in Vienna. If you are not travelling via Vienna, you will not see many masks at all.
snow report
@munich_irish,
Quote:

had a 4th shot

In France I was offered a 4th shot but told my GP that I'd had a tested & registered (in the app) infection in August and she said that counted just as well so not to bother.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-12-22 11:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
except Masks on public transport and in pharmacies, Hospitals etc i dont think they will do or decide for something more.
The people (at least in GERM and AUT) are a little bit in "Panic Modus" because of the media announcements for black outs, high prices this or that. If comes once again the restictions as 3G , lock downs or something like this i dont know the consequences.
Except that the "market", can not afford once again a Covid Season. They have already too many problems with high prices, personall etc

but it is e personal opinion
latest report
@halfhand, i had my 4th jab last friday, it was showing on my app by this monday.
like you, i am hoping it is not required to be used but i have the travel pass to my phones wallet and it is valid until end the of May 23.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
The issues with vaccinations are the same everywhere ie the number of people who have had a 4th shot are relatively small and most people would not have had a jab in a year or so which would call into question the validity of the certificate.

Yeah, that's true. Don't know if it's the same in Germany, but in Austria anyone can get another booster if they wish, but the campaign to get people to do so has been virtually non-existant so take up is low. Against that, there are still relatively high levels of animosity regarding the vaccine certificates and their implementation, and also that the expiry date is purely political (and has already been extended a couple of times). I believe there are currently some issues regarding hospital visitors, who I think are the last group to still require 3G, as the certificates from last Autumn are now expiring and this is causing problems.
snow report
@terrygasson, Cheers, I hadn't checked the app itself just have the travel pass accessed separately and valid until 29h Dec. Have now updated both and they show expiry 31/5/23.
snow conditions
@halfhand, no worries
latest report
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
squidy wrote:

A vaccine dramatically reduces the effect of serious illness. As a result it will reduce attendance at GPs, EDs and hospital admissions. Overloading of the NHS is a serious public health risk.

So your statement that "A vaccinated vs unvaccinated person poses the exact same risk to the public" is erroneous. An unvaccinated person is more likely to be admitted to hospital with serious Covid illness and there is data to back up this assertion. (https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o5). That unvaccinated person consuming vital NHS resources and affecting the outcomes for other non-covid cases.

Additional to the above (which is a valid point imho) an unvaccinated person is more likely to suffer symptomatically, the symptoms are in many cases the mechanism for spread (eg a cough).**

** To counter this you could argue a vaccinated individual is less likely to suffer symptoms, and ergo less likely to self diagnose or test, and ergo more likely to circulate in the gen pop spreading the virus. But as that weakens my chosen stance I won't mention that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
HilbertSpace wrote:

In Austria, this only applies in Vienna. If you are not travelling via Vienna, you will not see many masks at all.

Better not visit New York. Although mask is not required, most people are wearing it in public places. So those not wearing one can get occasional stare at with a dirty look.

In all fairness, New York has no good skiing. So not a problem for snowheads. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We had our boosters two weeks ago purely to avoid any potential problems while in France, if the number of cases rocket there is a chance( however small) restrictions might be brought in regarding covid passes and then brits might need to get a new jab in france, probably paying for the privilege and then getting it on the NHS app which might be difficult, just easier to get it done,
latest report
robs1 wrote:
We had our boosters two weeks ago purely to avoid any potential problems while in France, if the number of cases rocket there is a chance( however small) restrictions might be brought in regarding covid passes and then brits might need to get a new jab in france, probably paying for the privilege and then getting it on the NHS app which might be difficult, just easier to get it done,

If you’re under 50 in the UK the chance of getting a booster are pretty much nil unless you fall into one of the prescribed vulnerable categories. The NHS won’t give it and you can’t pay to get it privately either, at least from the limited research I’ve done. I imagine other euro countries are similar so I’d be surprised if it comes back in. Maybe PCR/lateral flow before travel at worst. But in general I get the feeling that Europe is just getting on with things, I’ve travelled to Spain a few times in the past year and the restrictions now are minimal compared to just six months ago or so.
latest report
Geneva airport, in October, was full of announcements telling us masks must be worn. And equally full of people with no masks to be seen. There are more mask wearers in my local Tesco.
latest report
Dav wrote:
... the restrictions now are minimal compared to just six months ago or so.
You would expect that at this time of year. But, as in previous winters, there will probably be some virus resurgence over the next 6 months. As in previous years, just keep eye on FCDO advice, be prepared to wear masks, to isolate (and potentially defer return) if you test positive, and check what what your insurance does / does not cover.
ski holidays
ecureuil wrote:
Dav wrote:
... the restrictions now are minimal compared to just six months ago or so.
You would expect that at this time of year. But, as in previous winters, there will probably be some virus resurgence over the next 6 months. As in previous years, just keep eye on FCDO advice, be prepared to wear masks, to isolate (and potentially defer return) if you test positive, and check what what your insurance does / does not cover.

Yeah good shout on travel insurance. I always have an annual policy and I moved to LV as their covid policy was very well rated.
ski holidays
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
squidy wrote:

I'm simply saying that unvaccinated people are not anymore risk to you or the public than vaccinated. The NHS is a completely different topic.
I guess I'm just saying that you should not worry about unvaccinated people while you're travelling as it will not effect you at all.

One thing that does still effects us is not needing a pcr test 24 hours before a flight anymore. We now sit next to people for hours without masks who could have covid. But I guess we needed to move on and live with it eventually.
latest report
squidy wrote:
I'm simply saying that unvaccinated people are not anymore risk to you or the public than vaccinated. The NHS is a completely different topic.
I guess I'm just saying that you should not worry about unvaccinated people while you're travelling as it will not effect you at all.

From my reading, unvaccinated people do have a higher risk of passing it to others, if simply because they have more symptoms and the infection last longer. So the risk is elevated if you’re sitting next to one such.

That said, the increase risk is probably not large enough to worry about for most people. You’re just as likely to get sick from a kitchen staff not washing his hands between washing dishes and preparing for the next meal.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 2-12-22 22:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Everyone is dropping like flies in France at the moment: covid, bronchitus, flu, you name it. I wonder if I'll end up like the Omega man, the only person left working.

Be careful on your ski holidays if you don't want to catch something nasty.
snow report
I've just paid the balance for my ski trip to France in January so absolutely hoping that governments do not start implementing silly rules again.

Personally I just want stay healthy after some recent bad luck with ilness. Had shingles 3 weeks ago which is still clearing up (would not recommend as the back pain was horrendous). And then had a rotten cold last week which turned out to be Covid which made me take a few days off work (first time I have ever had a positive Covid LFT). Not as bad as full on flu but it was still annoying.

Just hoping that I am getting over all the bugs now before my holiday.
ski holidays
@welshflyer, suggest you Google the relevant guidelines for the country you are travelling to, than a stupid question here that cannot be answered or perhaps that was your point to get stupid people like me responding
snow conditions
The original question is pretty pointless. Three years ago no one would have told you that the season would be cut short, and this year we can't guarantee there won't be restrictions applied again.

So all anyone can say is that there are no Covid restrictions on anyone travelling to Europe today - but when planning a trip in the future it would be sensible to have proof of vaccination and a mask available if suddenly required. And travel insurance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy