Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis - Advice for cautious female skier please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I’m looking to buy my first pair of skis. I’ve been on 9 ski trips now during which I’ve rented skis. I own boots which I’m very happy with and it feels the next step is to invest in a pair of skis that I can really learn to use properly and importantly progress more with. We ski twice each season and have private lessons. I’m in my 30s. 162cm and weigh 126lb. I’m fairly fit (run regularly). Despite my number of trips I’d say I haven’t progressed quite as much as I’d like and that’s mainly due to my own psychology holding me back - I’ll have a few great days skiing, then something relatively small will unsettle me (ice, small fall, almost fall) and I’ll go back to being super super cautious, skiing incredibly slowly with no confidence. When I’m feeling good I’m not a fast skier but competent parallel skier and starting to add a few carving turns in as of this year (and looking to progress this further).

I’ve done a lot of reading on skis and think I need a relatively narrow ski, around 150cm in length. The skis I’ve been looking at go between 70-75mm in width.

My questions however are:
How narrow? Can they be too narrow? Is one more stable than another?
Sidewalls - is a full sidewall better than just a partial central sidewall with caps elsewhere?
Does the type of core really make a difference at this level?

Some of the examples I’ve been looking at are:
Head easy joy
Head pure joy - 73mm wide 22/23 season but 24/24 models are 75mm
VÖLKL flair 72

I’m open to all suggestions, tips etc. I’m not looking to be an amazing, fast skier but would love to keep confident, improve and enjoy cruising. I’m not interested in difficult skiing but having fun on the mountains (on piste)

Thanks and sorry for the long post!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DrSJF16, best thing you can do is try some of your shortlist if possible, everyone likes different things when it comes to skis, each brand has its own characteristics, sometimes it is simply the binding has a different delta between two brands which can make a ski feel good great or indeed terrible, in the coming months the shops at the snow centers normally have a demo pool with a few options that you can try and i would imagine there will be some public ski tests with some brands coming up too

of the skis you mention i would go the pure joy or the volkl, others to consider would the the atomic cloud 9 /cloud 11 or the rossignol Nova series, every brand makes something in this category it is just a case of trying to find the one that works for you , its like the driving postion in a car or even the fit of a pair of jeans, some just fit and some don't

sorry to pour some confusion on the search, but so many people will have an opinion on a specific model that worked for them, the point being they are not YOU

good luck in the quest
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My guess is that you are considerably better than you think you are. I would also suggest that you ask on here for any instructor recommendations to the resort you have chosen. Often, the right instructor can bring you on, in a way that exceeds your expectations.

FWIW. I don't think there is much wrong with your thinking.

A length of around 150 seems about right. If staying On Piste, then 70-75mm will be fine. The narrower they are, the quicker edge to edge and reactive they will be.....but the tighter the radius, the more "squirrelly" they will be in a straight line.

Construction will determine how damp and stiff they are or how forgiving. I would look for something with a light wood core and Sidewalls (can be combined with a Cap). The Head Joy series have a very good reputation - and the model that suits, will to a big degree, be down to personal taste.

If possible, I would find somewhere in the resort that will let you try different models and waive the hire cost, if you buy. This purchase will last a good few years - so it's worth getting it right.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-07-23 11:42; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This all sounds very familiar - I'm the same as you, on a good day competent and controlled, on a bad day picking my way down. Like you I put my faith in lessons! Just food for thought - I did a female only ski course last season with Ski Goddess, Katie tinkered with my skiing top to bottom and I felt so much more confident.

On skis, have you tried a slightly wider ski? Only asking because I've found around 80mm to be more stable for me in variable conditions. I also prefer something with a bit of metal stiffness in the core, though not super stiff - so I think core matters. I like to feel grounded. Laughing Horses for courses though! Very Happy

On the skis you list - not skiied the head women's skis but I like the men's equivalent -e-original and e-magnum. Heavy though - think the joy series uses graphene so the skis are lighter. Easy Joy sound like they'd not be up to your skiing (also suspect you're better than you think!)? I liked the Flair, fun. Loathed the Salamon equivalent (W8, W10 etc).

As mentioned above, testing a few in resort is the best way to find what you like. Cautionary tale - I bought the Salamon skis mentioned after one quick run as they 'fitted' my perception of my ability. Hated them, my confidence went backwards, biggest mistake.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with @ElzP, that trying something @80 underfoot is worthwhile, if looking for extra versatility in variable conditions...though at that width, they often (but not always) have an All Mountain profile eg. Front and Back Rocker. You may like that, or you may prefer a pure Piste orientated ski, with a full length Camber.

As said above, it is very difficult to pick a ski for someone else.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 26-07-23 11:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, and most of the advice on skis I have, came from you! snowHead

@DrSJF16, in case it's helpful, I'm looking to buy some skis this season and have a shortlist to try: Volkl Yumi 84, Nordica Santa Ana 82 or 88, and Atomic Maven 86 (a bit lighter but the Maven 93 is fun if a little wide so worth a try).

Stockli Nela 80 also worth a go if you're trying some wider skis!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ElzP wrote:
@Old Fartbag, and most of the advice on skis I have, came from you! snowHead

Blimey - No pressure then. Toofy Grin

I'm glad I didn't lead you astray.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrSJF16, if you can get to Hemel or Manchester, snowHeads runs a couple of ski tests in October. Dates aren't on the "coming events" thread yet but I'd expect they will appear but September or so. These would be ideal for you to try out a bunch of different skis in a controlled, consistent environment without taking time out to do this on holiday. If you do this, try different lengths of the same ski as well since the online length guides are very generic.

I can't comment on specific skis but I'd echo other posters who say ski preference is a personal thing. Reviews can only get you so far, there's no substitute for actually trying them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given your skiing profile I would say owning your own skis is a nice to have rather than a necessity - owning your own skis isn't going to help much with your psychology. If you are spooked by almost falling then that is always going to impede progress. The decision is more about economics/hassle. Having your own skis means having to service and transport them. So consider that. However, if you are set on it - and I'm not saying you shouldn't....

How narrow? Can they be too narrow? Is one more stable than another? Some of us old un's skied on matchsticks! We wouldn't go back. But piste skis don't need too much width. if you are buying a standard piste ski you will be fine.
Sidewalls - is a full sidewall better than just a partial central sidewall with caps elsewhere? It's a play on weight versus performance - full sidewall stronger/more durable but heavier. Partial a good compromise of course. Don't see any reason you need a lightweight ski.
Does the type of core really make a difference at this level? Again you are looking at weight, performance and durability. Again, I don't see you needing to worry about weight too much.

Reading articles like this will help: https://www.gearx.com/blog/knowledge/skiing/ski-construction/

Often you will get what you pay for. Cheaper skis will tend to give a bit less performance and degrade quicker. But there are also trade offs even in the same price range. And as above some people will get on better with one ski than another.

Have you noted which skis you hired and which felt good to you. Unfortunately a lot of people don't do this but it's a good way to learn what works for you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
Given your skiing profile I would say owning your own skis is a nice to have rather than a necessity - owning your own skis isn't going to help much with your psychology.

Owning skis is certainly a "Want", rather a "Need"....but IMV it might help with psychology.

As anyone who has learned to ski knows, Confidence plays a huge role. Picking the "right" skis that closely match your preference,(Brand/Construction/Width/Length/Radius/Profile/Binding Delta/Weight etc), that you get to know inside out (ie. Consistency), have faith that they will do what you want, can tune to your own preferences - could take the gamble out of hiring and instil extra confidence, thus improve the consistency of the skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, you have to factor in that buying skis in the first place is fraught with questions and pitfalls as this thread demonstrates.

And there seems to be a narrative that there are only a couple of skis on the market that will right for you when the reality I reckon is most skis will be fine - especially if you are piste cruising.

Anyway, I am not trying to discourage the OP from buying just testing the logic a bit and putting in some factors to consider both from buying in the first place, what to buy and what to expect as a result.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
@Old Fartbag, you have to factor in that buying skis in the first place is fraught with questions and pitfalls as this thread demonstrates.

And there seems to be a narrative that there are only a couple of skis on the market that will right for you when the reality I reckon is most skis will be fine - especially if you are piste cruising.

Anyway, I am not trying to discourage the OP from buying just testing the logic a bit and putting in some factors to consider both from buying in the first place, what to buy and what to expect as a result.

That is all true.....Though.... Asking questions, doing research, going to a knowledgeable shop, doing demos, asking Instructor - all help with avoiding Bear Traps. It would appear the OP realizes that getting the correct skis is not that straightforward - which is a good start and means that it is less likely they will end up with a poor choice.

IMV. The reward of getting it right, is that you end up on skis that you really like, which can easily boost confidence....however, the wrong skis can do the opposite (If hiring, this isn't an issue, as you simply exchange them).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you for your replies so far.

With regards to instructor - we have a fantastic instructor in ADH but have struggled to find a similar instructor in Courchevel Moriond which is the other place we’ve been visiting recently for our 2nd trip of the season. So any recommendations welcome there!

We’ve considered the logistical side of owning skis and that’s not too much of a concern - fortunately my husband does quite a lot of travelling with his work so we get free extra baggage allowance with BA so won’t have to pay for ski carriage. We also live very close to The Piste Office who do ski servicing too.

I seem to have had a lot of Head rental Skis in the past both in resort and when going to the indoor UK centred - Magic Joy, Easy Joy and REV (?I think it was very old pair in Norway!). I definitely didn’t get on with an Atomic Heaven pair I had in 1650 this year. Just didn’t gel with it. I had a Volkl Flair SC I think last year in ADH but can’t really recall it being particularly good or not good - seemed fairly average I think. Definitely this year’s first holiday was a step forward in terms of learning new carving technique - and I had my most enjoyable day’s skiing too (sunny, light powder, beautiful!)

I’ve always rented intermediate level skis and have never been given a wider ski before. I wonder if sticking lower might be better given I’m keen to keep improving carving/edge? But whether avoiding too low might avoiding the “squirrelling” in a straight line you mention!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good that you have the logistical side covered.

You don't need a ski above the range you are looking at (70-75) unless you want to dabble off piste.

Sounds like you like the Head skis so seems to be definitely one for the shortlist. They seem to have an heavy focus on lightness - which suggests that is a characteristic you like. Makes sense given your profile.

Volkl are generally well regarded but often out of people's price range. I believe the SC you used has metal so very dampening whereas the 72 seems to again be lightness/early intermediate focused so probably a lot more to your liking.

Do you have budget contraints?

If you can get to one of the SH's tests (will be listed here when arranged https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=31) or get the opportunity to test elsewhere that might help to.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrSJF16, the hire shops will usually not give you a wider ski unless you ask - I tend to be very specific with them now and they'd still always be pushing me at narrower 'lady skis'. Laughing Had more success going to on mountain brand ski tests if they're about, or checking if the shop sells certain skis (they might have unsold previous season skis in the rental pool).

I first tried a wider ski in Canada where it's the opposite - they default to wider! Had loads of fun and attributed some of it to the skis (santa ana). I'm firmly a piste skier for now and whilst I'd love to be able to carve properly, my first focus is on making sure I have confidence on any slope in most conditions (ice will always be nemesis!). I can get an edge on a wider ski on part of the turn, and carving will come if I get the technique right at some point. As you mention, I'd rather avoid the squirrels and a bit of width and stiffness suits me for that!

Can't speak for you, but at least part of my skiing issues are mental - alongside a majority issue of poor, unconfident technique of course! So I'm keen to have kit that makes me feel good, rather than what I 'should' have according to marketing/level. From what I've seen a strong, confident skiier can put on any ski, but I'd rather have fewer days of fighting with my equipment. Toofy Grin Don't get me wrong, I've fought with wider skis as well - I do not recommend a Blizzard Brahma on a hangover. Laughing

TLDR: test lots of skis of different width and lengths, work out what makes you feel good, sod the marketing...
snow report
Last year I was having the same dilemma, didn’t know which skis to pick, read all the reviews available and watched tons of utube videos. At the end I went for head real joy. Have to be honest couldn’t feel/notice much of a difference vs my old rossignol on blue pistes but I really enjoyed doing reds ,I felt more in control.
Mind you I still fell five times over the week so don’t expect miracles Very Happy
snow report
Sounds like we are very similar ElzP.
I think trying some out would be a good option so I’ll have a look to see when testing is going to be and if they’ll be having any of them I’m looking at available.

Harrow lady - you’re the first person I’ve come across with actual experience of the Real Joy! I scoured the internet and YouTube to find reviews and struggled!

Re budget - yes and no! I don’t want to pay silly money because really I’m not an aggressive skier who needs a super fancy top of the range ski (and would probably be far worse for it too!) but I’m willing to pay for the right ski for me.

I’m quite interested in the new Tyrolia Protector bindings too and their reduction in knee injuries - particularly given my history!
snow conditions
DrSJF16 wrote:

...but have struggled to find a similar instructor in Courchevel Moriond which is the other place we’ve been visiting recently for our 2nd trip of the season. So any recommendations welcome there!

We've had Scott Frew from Supreme ski.

Other recommendations I've seen are:

Andy from SnowLimits
Izzy Milne - Independent Ski Instructor with a great reputation https://www.facebook.com/izzy.milne.56/
Jamie from TDC

Ski Schools with a good reputation are:

New Generation
Oxygene
Sweet Snow Sports
BASS
Marmalade
TDC Ski
Supreme Ski

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-07-23 18:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@DrSJF16, I just searched which skis? What to buy etc , best skis for piste only etc
very confusing to be honest too many lovely skis to choose from
at the end went for real joy because they are black and I love anything black and were on offer….
snow report
From what I can see, there's been no mention yet of the Oktobertest at Hemel Hempstead and Chill Factore.

@DrSJF16, it might be worth going along to either of these events, that way you can test out a number of brands, back to back in a controlled(ish) environment, and you'll really get a clear picture of what you do and don't like. There'll also be the reps from each of the brands there too who can give you an idea of what might be suitable to you.
snow conditions
@Harrow lady, and I thought I was the only ski ninja - I also love everything black! Genuinely annoyed there aren't more black skis. Laughing
snow report
I quite like the look of the specs of the Nordica Belle 73 new season ski - seems a good mix perhaps?
https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/women/skis/on-piste/belle/belle-73
The Belle 75 also looks pretty good.
snow conditions
@DrSJF16, I've eyed up the Belle for a couple of years, but never found them anywhere to try. Except this test, haven't been but would be fun for a preseason trip... https://www.soelden.com/winter/ski-area/glacier/glacier-testcenter.html

I wonder if anyone o here has been?
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
From what I can see, there's been no mention yet of the Oktobertest at Hemel Hempstead and Chill Factore.

@DrSJF16, it might be worth going along to either of these events, that way you can test out a number of brands, back to back in a controlled(ish) environment, and you'll really get a clear picture of what you do and don't like. There'll also be the reps from each of the brands there too who can give you an idea of what might be suitable to you.

I am getting concerned that Oktobertest may not be happening. There is no mention of it under the Autumn heading on the Forthcoming events page, where it normally would be, and each time I ask if it is I get tumbleweed. I hope it is, my 13yr is finally ready to try different skis and was looking forward to doing so, she previously was happy to just ski.

If it is highly recommended as a route for findig your next skis
snow report
ElzP wrote:
@Harrow lady, and I thought I was the only ski ninja - I also love everything black! Genuinely annoyed there aren't more black skis. Laughing

black skis look great, but they mark up really badly and look well used after very little time . Not a huge consideration for me, but for someone who values the look...
ski holidays
I guess my other question/thought is:
As a female do I have to have a ladies specific ski?
Or would something like the Head Shape V4 be suitable in a 149 for my type of profile and ability?
https://www.head.com/en_GB/shape-v4-315273-set.html
latest report
Zermatt Ski Test
latest report
@DrSJF16, seen it said by many on here that skis don't know of you're male or female! So no - I've enjoyed skiing male marketed skis in short sizes or unisex skis - the head e-series, Atomic Maverick, some fancy green Nordica things that were too much ski but looked the part. Razz

On those though, wouldn't 149 be very short for you at 162 in height? I'm only 152cm and around the same weight as you, and 148 is my minimum, just don't feel comfortable on shorter!

Another thing hire shops like to do is give us really short skis... rolling eyes if you haven't already, might be worth testing some that are slightly longer?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrSJF16 wrote:
I guess my other question/thought is:
As a female do I have to have a ladies specific ski?
Or would something like the Head Shape V4 be suitable in a 149 for my type of profile and ability?
https://www.head.com/en_GB/shape-v4-315273-set.html

You certainly do not "have" to buy a Lady's specific ski....but many manufacturers do have features that can make life easier. They tend to be lighter, less stiff, have the binding a little more forward to account for the different physiology/CoG, come in shorter lengths and have a tighter turning radius.

http://www.guide2skihire.com/article_girls_skis.html

The different design can help if you are light and quite timid.....but as always, it doesn't suit everyone and some female skiers actively avoid female specific skis.
snow report
My wife has always had/purchased "mens" skis.

She has skied since she was a young child though so is a confident skier - all be it, she doesn't ski fast and hard.
snow conditions
@DrSJF16, "As a female do I have to have a ladies specific ski? "

Absolutely not.

How do the skis know how dangly your bits are? Yes, some female marketed skis are a bit lighter/softer/etc., which, frankly I think is rather rude, even misogynistic.

Conversely, one well known manufacturer just gives some models a different name and colours the graphics a bit more pink.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Absolutely not.

How do the skis know how dangly your bits are? Yes, some female marketed skis are a bit lighter/softer/etc., which, frankly I think is rather rude, even misogynistic.

Conversely, one well known manufacturer just gives some models a different name and colours the graphics a bit more pink.

We've had this argument before - It's nothing to do with being rude or misogynistic, but female physiology being different. My link explains it.

Anyway, I suspect you aren't going to change your opinion any time soon, so the answer, I suspect, is for the OP to try the different versions.
snow report
I really dislike the 'pinking' of kit.

All of it could of course be solved if they just made a couple of shorter lengths in the most popular skis - i get really irritated when the shortest length in a ski marketed as unisex is over 160. I hired a pair of old mavericks in 150ish and absolutely loved them. Clearly the shorter length was discontinued, can't get them anywhere. Annoying!
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Absolutely not.

We've had this argument before - It's nothing to do with being rude or misogynistic, but female physiology being different. My link explains it.

Anyway, I suspect you aren't going to change your opinion any time soon, so the answer, I suspect, is for the OP to try the different versions.

Unfortunately the link doesn’t seem to work for me but I would be interested to read it.

I’ve also found out that the very last rental ski I used was a Head Ambition 150 - sounds like an old rental only model (so presuming that’s a male model?)

ElzP - I agree with you! As someone who has never been a girly girl I’m not a fan of a lot of the female ski designs - and yes whilst I want the right ski technically for me I also don’t want to hate the look of it!
latest report
DrSJF16 wrote:

Unfortunately the link doesn’t seem to work for me but I would be interested to read it.

Here you go:

Women aren’t just small men, they’re very different!

When it comes to skiing, these differences can cause problems for females using “unisex” equipment which is really designed for males.

Common examples of these are:

- slow turn initiation especially on steeper slopes

- struggling to control their skis in varying conditions

- skis accelerating out of turn due to loss of speed control

- over rotating of the upper body because they are not finishing the turn correctly resulting in skidding at the end of the turn

- ski tips wander resulting in crossing and not riding flat on the snow when skiing straight

- skiing is more tiring often resulting in early fatigue of front of thigh muscles increased incidence of knee injuries

- weight over tails of ski

- turning and absorbing is more difficult

- bending at waist to get weight forward

Female physiology and biomechanics are very different to those of a man and this is often where the root of the problem lies.

The Reasons

Centre of mass

Female physiology and biomechanics are very different to those of a man and this is where the root of the problem lies.

Females tend to have bigger hips and thighs and shorter legs than men. Men are broader in the chest and shoulders and carry most of their weight above the waist and to the front of their body.

Because of this, a lady skier's centre of mass is lower and further back than her male counterparts which positions a lady off-balance on her skis. Girls can find it difficult to bring their weight forward, over the centre of the skis.

The Problems

So when a lady skier flexes forwards, her weight is over her heels rather than over the centre of the ski. This makes it difficult to pressure the tip of the skis to initiate a turn, especially on steeper slopes and makes the tips more difficult to control.

Girls can feel the tips of their skis are unstable and edgy, or tend to wander and cross, especially when skiing in a schuss.

They often over-rotate their upper body and skid their skis round at the end of the turn because they feel they’re losing control of their speed.

The Q-Angle

A woman’s pelvis is wider than a man's, so her femur approaches the knee at a wider angle - the "Q" Angle - causing a more knock-kneed stance.

To keep her centre of gravity over her weight-bearing foot a girl has to move her pelvis more. This excess hip swing causes over-rotation and forces the tails of her skis to skid at the end of the turn.

Ankle and knee flexion

Women also physically can’t bend as much at the knees and ankles as men can. So they tend to ski in a more upright position, which again makes the tips of the skis difficult to control.

This can make them bend at the waist to bring their weight forward enough to gain control of the front of the ski, but bending at the waist puts them off balance.

Height, weight and strength

Females tend to be shorter, lighter than and not as strong as males and can struggle to flex and bend unisex skis.

So a girl may swing her hips to get the ski to come around which again causes upper body over-rotation.

Girls using unisex skis also have to use a higher percentage of their overall strength than a man would. So they tire more easily, are more prone to muscle and joint fatigue and can be prone to knee injury.

Female ski technology - THE SOLUTION

Female ski technology

In the last few years manufacturers have begun to understand the anatomical and biomechanical reasons female skiers have these problems and have developed specific ladies’ skis which aren't just about flowery graphics.

Female-specific skis address the problems faced by lady skiers:

- by moving the bindings and centre of sidecut forwards

- by ramping the binding up (Delta Angle)

- and by making skis softer, shorter and lighter

Binding Position / Centre of Sidecut

The binding mount point on female skis tends to be 1 to 3 centimeters forward of unisex skis. As well as moving the mount point forwards, some manufacturers move the whole centre of the sidecut in their lady-specific skis too.

This brings the skier’s centre of mass forward and more over the tips, making it much easier to initiate the turn and to maintain tip contact to control the skis throughout the turn.

It also eliminates the tendency to stem and slide the tails to control speed, and reduces the need to use unwanted upper body rotation.

The skier can flow into a turn instead of forcing it.

And when the skier is standing in the proper position on the ski, less raw strength is needed to make the ski turn – which is less tiring.

Delta Angle

Delta angle raises the skier’s heel, moving the centre of mass both upwards and forwards over the front of the skis.

This leads to better pressure distribution on the front of the ski with a girl’s reduced ankle and knee flex and without bending at the waist. . .Which all helps again with tip control and turn initiation.

Flex and torsion

Female specific skis are also slightly softer flexing than the equivalent unisex ski. So it takes less strength, weight and power to bend the ski and effect a carve, rather than a skidded turn.

Ladies’ skis don’t generally need to be as torsionally stiff as unisex models either, as they’re not designed to support a heavy man through the turn.

Because skis are easier to turn they’re less tiring, so a female skier can last longer on the mountain and her muscles and joints aren’t so prone to injury.

Weight

Ladies’ skis also tend to be made of lighter materials than unisex models, so they’re easy to manoeuvre and carry.
latest report
Hmm, whilst I'm totally into technology being advanced to benefit women (or at least equalise situations/make women as safe as men) I'm not totally convinced by some of the above. Like shorter and softer being useful to all women - shorter and softer can feel less stable and exacerbate some of the problems I'd have thought? Certainly perception of control and tip wobble. But as before I suppose it's all horses for courses.

There seem to be other ways to make turn initiation easier - 'full edge control' (who knows, but basically a wider tip/longer edge?) on the stocklis made the nela and laser sc, both pretty stiff skis, very easy to turn without 'male' power...

Anyway! @DrSJF16, if you're skiing twice next year, or have the opportunity of a ski test, I'd just spend that time trying some different stuff, maybe under the guidance of your instructor? You may find that what looks right to you on paper isn't what you want - or you may find you've nailed it on the first week! It's worth paying the top hire price to get more choice, and worth asking for what you want in terms of length or model. snowHead
snow report
@ElzP, I would just make 3 comments - Firstly "Softer", does not necessarily mean "Soft" (there are plenty of stiff Women's skis available); Secondly the article constantly uses the word "Can" and "Tend to", so is absolutely not making the case for "all women"; Thirdly, Women's skis come in a wide variety of lengths (and indeed stiffness) - and length is determined by weight, ability, aggressiveness, turn shape and preference.

The article highlighted above, is to make the case, that the provision of Women specific skis is not pure marketing bollox, but has its reasoning rooted in logic, physiology and biomechanics.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

You could just as easily argue that not having equipment specifically adapted and designed for women's physiology is the rude and mysogynistic view.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I don't think it's all bollox at all, and some stuff - mounting points etc - makes sense, but some seems counterintuitive to me, and some technology is useful on all skis and solves some of the woman specific issues. It all makes for fun discussions though. wink
ski holidays
ElzP wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I don't think it's all bollox at all, and some stuff - mounting points etc - makes sense, but some seems counterintuitive to me, and some technology is useful on all skis and solves some of the woman specific issues. It all makes for fun discussions though. wink

I wasn't really thinking of you. I've been on this merry-go-round more than once. Skullie

I suppose it's quite possible to get the benefit of the female specific features you value, while still getting a high performance ski of the correct length.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy