Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you drill new screw holes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a thought. Always felt that my stance is too wide on my board, though bindings set at minimum width. Might be more of an issue now with sore, irritated acl-less knee, too.
Rather than buy a new board - if indeed I can get better/narrower stance; it's a 147 so not too big for me by a long chalk - can I get someone to drill and insert in more screw threads & holes, nearer to the centre (just one more set at the same space might do it)?
I'll cope if not wink
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if you can add inserts.

You can easily do it really old school, with a T-nut, which goes all the way through the board. Not ideal.

New boards are always a good thing though... just check the minimum stance width.
Modern stances are going narrower again, or at least it's been some years since I've had trouble with that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure @ spyderjon could work out a way for you to do it using quiver killer inserts. Issue might be that deck isn't built to accept mounts outside the factory drilled points i.e. no metal matrix or whatever.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While it is possible to adjust, it is hard to believe the narrowest stance is too wide. How wide is the current stance (centre of disk to centre of disk) and how tall are you? What angles are you running?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowrider, centre of disc to disc is 50cm absolute minimum.
Running +/- 12 usually (15 Def too much, prefer 6-9 but hurts knee too much).
About 5 ft 5.
Standard parallel hole board pattern, 4 hole discs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
can you post a picture of the board and they way its currently set up? do your bindings not have any adjustment in the base plate? most have slots that would allow you to get at least another inch or so of reduced stance if set up correctly
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ This - @Grizzler, It's a bit baffling - I just went and had a look at one of the boards I've got which is similar at 150, and I can get the stance width to just under 40cm by using the innermost hole set and turning the binding plates 90 degrees.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent all of yesterday playing with both Burton and Flow bindings & their differing discs, in all kinds of different possible combinations and angles - and with another experienced boarder on hand too. Absolutely no way they'll give less than 50 centre to centre, and that's with the innermost hole pair on nearly the centre line of the binding plate slots (adjustable options, obviously).
Never mind, I can cope.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
how tall are you? without wishing to be personal do you have very short legs (in relation to your body)? what is it about the current stance that feels liek its too wide? do you have a duck stance or are your angles forward? are your highbacks rotated?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As above 5'5". Long back, long femurs, shorter tib & fib. 24 boots. And female, if it matters.
Highbacks are as they are; don't think that they rotate in either set which I have, but can check.
I'm duck, as above, +/- 9-12 ATM. Can't cope with unequals, ride switch a fair bit.
It just feels too wide, simple as that. Plus I feel that it's straining one knee quite a lot too. I can ride and control the board on piste, but it would be better if shorter, more easy to lift, bend, jump etc if shorter & feels more precise control too.
If it gets that bad, I'll just put my skis on instead Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
god dont put skis on!!! what board is it?
Initial thoughts, less angle on each binding could help, try to reduce down by a step on each (assuming each baseplate is 'normal' then each step is 3 degrees, perhaps 6/6 might feel better?
Ill be honest Im not a duck fan, feels un natural to me, but I get that for many it feels right. I go 0/12 personally.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At 5'5" a 50cm stance certainly doesn't seem too wide. Anything narrower would normally make you stand very straight legged and be quite unstable. Unfortunately it sounds like the lack of acl is causing an issue even with what should be an appropriate stance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tried canted bindings?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lack of ACL isn't actually as such the issue, says the physio (but either way, it doesn't like whatever forces boarding puts on it). Probably just the way my leg's made, knee likes dropping in, foot pronated a fair bit (yes I have insoles). It's probably technique too: if I ride switch (i.e. goofy) it's happier; not being used as the heel brake so much, I guess.

It just really does feel too wide, too cumbersome, too much effort required - but interestingly, I do tend to ride very crouched (or crouching), and keep getting told that I should stand straighter. An instructor did say that I looked quite wide too.

Tried straighter binding angles: maybe feels better per se, stance-wise, but definitely does get the knee more - and knee definitely isn't lined up with feet any more, but pointing a good way inwards. Settled on 9-12 as what feels best.
I definitely can't cope with riding unequal angles. Feels terribly unnatural, unbalanced, and I then can't work out switch at all.

No, not tried canted bindings. Worth a thought if I go for another set.

Anyhoos - right now just need more practice, more snow. Was getting quite good at wriggling through the slush moguls last week. Laughing Scotland beckons.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
short answer, no.

The screw bases are set during manufacture.
The base of the thread is epoxied in place and a lot wider.
To get a similar strength the base would need removing etc and the board repressing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy