Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now would chains have made a difference? TAKE 2

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski-touring yesterday from the Col du Granon road and nearing where we had parked, I came across this Landy that had just tried to go that little bit further.

The trouble was where he decided to turn around, when reversing he sunk into a water flow ditch at the side of the road that he obviously didn't know was there!

This was around 14:00 and the snow had really softened up.

I'm back up there this morning so wonder if it will still be there?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 18-02-24 14:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Idiots will be idiots, I supposed, but it's worth noting that those are not winter tyres. I have the superficially similar winter ones on my Landy. Quite a different tread pattern, and presumably a softer compound too, with 3-peak/snowflake markings of course. Whether they'd have helped I don't know but the use of branches like that does imply that they're just not getting any traction, and it just goes to prove that, as we all know, four wheel drive is not a panacea and is no substitute for proper tyres.

Is this road in a designated 'winter tyres or proper equipment required' zone?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chaletbeauroc, you'll have to wait for the next installment (pictures), as I'm currently climbing, taking breaks as more cloud around, so snow will take longer to cook, but you're just not going to believe it Shocked

I'll be about another three hours or so.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Idiot. Clearly didn’t click his poles before reversing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Orange200 wrote:
Idiot. Clearly didn’t click his poles before reversing.

Defenders are a bit basic, do they come with poles as standard ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bet he wishes he had bought a winch for the Landrover instead of those fancy touring skis. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With no diff' lock and M+S tyres (we always regard them as mud+slush) it was enviable. Chains would have helped but only if fitted front and rear.

I've done the sticks/branches under wheels trick but full bows work better complete with needles. How far did it shoot the sticks? Hope nobody got impaled.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When any four wheel drive gets the traction "relieved" diagonally like that one is, then those two lightened wheel will spin while the other two (it's predominantly sitting on) will get zero torque.

More advanced method is to lock centre differential, then gently spin the wheels while applying the footbrake to equal the torque on all four wheels, it'll probably drive out of there with that.

IF it was fitted with a rear differential lock as well as std issue centre fitment, then likely it wouldn't be stuck there, or the driver may have got it further and deeper to really get it stuck Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
.......I'm back up there this morning so wonder if it will still be there?......

Well just could not believe my eyes when I turned the bend Laughing

The Land Rover from yesterday obviously was lonely, so he was joined by another one, in a failed rescue attempt.

Have to say if there's any defence, that these are locals* (the rescue Landy is a local building Company here), and should be used to dealing with snow, but there again not everyone "local" opts to challenge the conditions as these two did, the mistake of the rescuer was to go presumably in the afternoon when the snow was at it's softest, though the weight of them would have seen them sink through to the soft snow below.

By the time I descended back down after my ski-tour both had gone and there were some very big Tonka toy tracks!

* some have Summer chalets further up in the forest
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a mess! Turning circle on a landy isn't big, especially when the diffs are locked.
Dropping the tyre pressure can help but once the wheels have sunk enough that the weight is on the axles and the diff you are snookered! Going to need something big with a winch or a big melt, I think.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thick As wrote:
...Turning circle on a landy isn't big,..

You're right. It's huge!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@adithorp, Indeed. A friend who's a part time bus driver on the IoM came out to Corfu with us last year and on one day was driving my 110 around the tiny roads there (I was feeling a bit crook but the other three wanted to go to the beach). Reckoned he'd have been more manoeuvrable in a 40-passenger bus on some of those roads.

@Weathercam, Did you happen to look at the tyres on the second one? I wonder - were they also thinking that chunky summer tyres would be 'good enough'?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy