Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Zell am See 29/02-05/03

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DIY myself and my wife both boarders but wife is beginner.

Booked flights with ryanair with car parking at Stansted.
Booking.com accomodation pension max and hire car.

Some mix up at the airport where the screens showed the flight was delayed. Checked the ryanair app and it was boarding. Queue mad rush to gate. More confusion with the priority boarding so there was some moaning by a few passengers but got away with just 20 mins delay.

Landed in Salzburg and went to the Alamo which is across the main road from arrivals. 40 mins waiting as only one person on the check in for 3 companies which was a drag but we got lucky and we were bumped up to a bigger car. Lucky as my snowboard bag wouldn't have fit in the Polo I booked, I did plan to remove the boards and fold over the bag but not needed in the end. The drive was pleasant and a shame it wasn't in the day to see the lovely views. Problems on the highway meant we took the b roads. Made it in an hour and half.

Easy check in well the key was left for us at reception. A few drinks and a nice dinner and went back to prepare for the morning.

Hire of boots for my missus was 13e for the day. Bargain. Snowboard hire online came in at 175e for 4 days each but cheaper in resort. Beginner set up was 40e a day. Discounts were offered with more days

General lack of snow meant the canons must have been on overtime. I couldn't get the wife on a group lesson so I took her up and tried being a teacher. Worked out ok got her sliding well and toe edge turns were nice but she couldn't get the hang of the heeledge turns. She was pretty determined but was exhausted by 1pm we decided to go for lunch. Runs were perfect for beginners wide fairly soft which meant some turns were harder but the softer landings were welcomed. A pizza each and that was the end of that so went back for a couple of beers and rest then dinner and a mosey around in the night.

Day 2 I had a freeride clinic booked on the glacier and met my guide at 9am over at kaprun. Had an awesome day working on my technique which helped me a lot. Big shout to michi. We found a bit of pow and got some beautiful lines in. The snow off piste was generally hard packed and crusty but we went through it and found some great spots. Mountain was pretty busy but we avoided the busy chairs going up on t bars and buttons to the top of the glacier. Worked a bit on carving in the arvo. Excellent day as the sun was out but got a bit too warm esp. with avalanche gear on my back got sweaty plus side vis was great.

Day 3. Went out with the wife and got her sliding some more but I emphasized to her the need for proper lessons and she finally agreed. Booked her in for the next day 95e for the day in a group lesson. Not bad I thought plus I can ride hard on the last day and also, less moaning!

Went to tauern spa for the afternoon we purchased a 3 hr ticket which was more than enough. Tbh at 55e each I kind of expected at least a hot tub. Was lovely in the outside pool looking at the mountain though and it eased a few strains.

Day 4. Dropped the wife at skool lol and went for a quick coffee while the group rode on the short beginner slope. I took a few photos and bade farewell. Managed to blast through half the runs by lunch. I got back to the wife and saw her heel turn and do a flat 180!! Wow impressed she was very happy but she also thought the slope was too short and asked a few times if they could go to a better run but the instructor explained it wasn't possible due to this group not being competent enough. We had an awful lunch fries and bratwurst, worst I've ever eaten. Wife had a mushroom soup which didn't taste like anything much. Then I went off again. Made some friends on the lift and had company for the afternoon. Slopes were in great shape and the sun was out so a great afternoon. I think I rode most of the mountain today and in the 4 days had covered almost all of both resorts. The wife was frustrated when I caught up with her as she felt that she should have been taken somewhere else to practice. I convinced her to ride with me to the top of city express and then download, which due to her determination (and stubbornness) agreed. Big mistake as she was knackered after just a few metres then it got choppy so she ended up walking to the lift and up we went to download from the top. We had a quick beer before going back to the ranch.

Food for me was average as I'm not the greatest fan of Austrian/ German style food but the Weiner schnitzel I had twice was great. Goulash soup wasn't great nor was the traditional cheese and pasta type dish. Apres was mostly in town as not really a bar straight off the slopes. Since the home runs were so bad I didn't bother riding home so there may have been something further up. Loads of Dutch and Germans in town everyone fairly jolly so very nice vibe. Quite a few Greeks too plus Brits and Italians.

All in all a great few days in zell different to my usual boys trips but great nonetheless.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks for that -- I'm looking at Zell for next year : is it too small an area for advanced skiers ?? (worried that I may ski it out in a couple of days..)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob wrote:
thanks for that -- I'm looking at Zell for next year : is it too small an area for advanced skiers ?? (worried that I may ski it out in a couple of days..)

its linked to Saalbach / ski circus - a very short bit of the link is ski bus, so you wont be short of terrain. That said, Saalbach is a handier location for easier access to all the Ski Circus, but Zell is better located to take advantage of Kaprun glacier skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lot's of other ski areas within 30-40 mins by car on the Salzburger Superski Pass, if resort ticking is your thing. Maria Alm, Gastein, Pass Thurn, Alpendorf etc. I find it better to drive round from Zell to Saalbach and park at the Kohlmaisbahn (free) and then you can party before heading home.... Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, pretty much what they said, Zell is small for a week but linked to other resorts depending on pass I believe. I saw signs on the mountain for Saalbach so there is access to it. For a few days Zell and Kaprun are great even upto a week depending on how many kms you really want. I could have easily done a couple more days tbh.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of Apres Ski bars around Zell … Canopy, Crazy Dazy, East Orange
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Few answers to some of the questions above

On Slope Apres - There are a couple of places,
Schnapps Hans Alm at the top of the Schimttenhohe has a daily apres party and Breiteck Alm has a lively outdoor umbrella bar, we regularly visit them in the afternoon and then ski to the City express to continue the party in town

Is Zell big enough for a week, it depends on if you are happy skiing the same pistes multiple times, there are some great pistes for expert skiers but in a week you will be repeating them many times, however if your willing to use the buses or have a car as we do a good week would be 2 days in Zell, 2 days on the Kitzsteinhorm and 2 days in Saalbach
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Day 2 I had a freeride clinic booked on the glacier and met my guide at 9am over at kaprun. Had an awesome day working on my technique which helped me a lot. Big shout to michi. We found a bit of pow and got some beautiful lines in. The snow off piste was generally hard packed and crusty but we went through it and found some great spots. Mountain was pretty busy but we avoided the busy chairs going up on t bars and buttons to the top of the glacier. Worked a bit on carving in the arvo. Excellent day as the sun was out but got a bit too warm esp. with avalanche gear on my back got sweaty plus side vis was great.

I’m happy you had a good day with Michi, he’s a top lad and a great character, we’ve had many a great day on the hill with him. I’m always surprised what you can find on the Kitzsteinhorn, even during busy times
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy