Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

McNab courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone done one of these? If so, which course did you do and what did you think?

I am toying with the idea of either one of his Backcountry courses (to learn the backcountry skills and have some serious fun) or one of his advanced skills clinics (to make sure that my technique is everything it should be and learn how to be properly stylish at all times (some hope!))

any views?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-07-04 11:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...........only heard positive things from people who have been. That must be a very good sign!

only downside it's in Chamonix(???), which as a town i don't like, the sliding is excellent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dan, having spent many summers in the Chamonix valley in the days when I did lots of mountaineering, I actually have some fond memories of the place. The chalet they use is in Argentiere rather than Chamonix - which is where we always used to stay and is much more pleasant, allowing you to escape the intensity of Chamonix itself (and the people it attracts).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been told to go to Argentiere if i still want to slide in Chamonix. Making a total career change next year so McNab course might be something to consider before becoming skintish again Puzzled mmmmmmm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mmmm, taking an instructor course and jacking in work gets more and more tempting.............must do lottery!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Tony, I did a "Kommunity" camp in 2002 with a crowd from www.theboarder.co.uk. The camp was excellent.

One of the best things was spending a week with a dozen or so snowboarders of a similar standard (plus McNab and his pro pals) and no novices/skiers to hold you back. That led to a great camaraderie very quickly even though most of us did not know each other to begin with.

Every day we went out and rode in different areas around Chamonix usually taking in some backcountry riding, often only a short hike from the lifts. All the while McNab and his team would be giving us tips, helping us to develop our riding style or iron out bad habits (fixing my stance was a revelation for me). We also did a bit of avalanche awareness education, learned to use transceivers etc.

The camps are very well run and you stay in a chalet run by Neil McNab's sister and her husband which is superbly located opposite the Grand Montets lifts in Argentiere. Food and hospitality is very good and the accommodation is comfortable, though not luxurious.

The Kommunity camp is a mix of all kinds of boarding skills and if I was to go back again (which I hope to) I would aim to do a backcountry course but by all accounts you want to be in good physical shape for these.

I know several others who have been on McNab camps and I have never heard anything but praise for them.

For more information try some of these links:

Guardian article from February 2002.
Neal Champion's diary from the backcountry course in 2000.
Neal Champion's transcript of Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard Magazine article about the same camp.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
playdreamer, cheers for that feedback which is very useful.

I'm still not sure whether to perfect the all-round skills first and then go for the backcountry course, or just assume that my previous riding on and off-piste will enable me to cope with whatever you are thrown at on that course (albeit without some of the style of better riders) and that the instructors can sort out any bad habits along the way.

The decision will probably be made by availability on the courses and whether any of my mates fancy coming along as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went on the freeride course season before last - definately worth doing if a little pricy. Totally changed how I'd been riding. Basically before I was kicking the back leg out and skidding turns all the time. Now I've learnt all about foot steering which has been a massive improvement.
Just riding with some of the UK 'pro' riders can be inspirational.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
how much is it to do his course???
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the backcountry intro course is £865 for the week, which includes the guiding, the half board chalet and a standard lift pass. Does not include flights or transfers.

other courses are slightly different but in that sort of ball park
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy