Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-season 2006 exercise

Poster: A snowHead
I've just got back from the gym, the leaves are falling, the air is crisp and I can feel the ache for all things snow. How are you getting ready for the coming season?

Me:

20mins: fairly easy for the 1st ten, like a lunatic for the 2nd ten.
Leg extensions: 125lb 30 reps
Calf textension (Stocky you'll have to help me out here):100lb 30 reps
Bench press: 30lb each arm 30 reps
Dumbell curl: 25lb each arm 30 reps
Ones where you flap like a bird (Stocky?): 20lb each arm 30 reps
Lazy stretching machine: all muscle groups I'm aware of.

Followed by: sauna, jacuzzi and the use of mirrors that don't steam (how cool is that!)

Are you still procrastinating, or are you getting it on, so to speak? Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been drinking red wine, eating chocolate and watching Warren Miller films Laughing

On a more serious note - running 5 miles three times a week and playing hockey. I'm found the running to be particularly useful as aerobic - mate who does nothing but weights is always shattered after 20 mins!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saxabar wrote:
Ones where you flap like a bird (Stocky?): 20lb each arm 30 reps

The bird dance or the funky chicken?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, The funky chicken, it goes a little like this one Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saxabar Laughing

On a slightly more serious note - the fittest people I have skied with did hill running. As Boris implys, weights alone doesn't do much for ski fitness. The Herminator only started winning after he changed his rountine away from intensive weights to low intensity aerobic training.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saxabar wrote:
Are you still procrastinating, or are you getting it on, so to speak? Very Happy

I just keep going all year, after you pass 40 you seize up if you stop. I'll start notching it up a bit in early December though.

I also agree with DB, fell runners are stupidly fit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been looking at how much I pay for my gym subscription, and wondering if I might not be better off (and less bored) cancelling the subscription, buying a reasonable bike for town and forest-trail use, and doing a few exercises a t home.

However, for the moment, I plug away at the gym/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, tsk - sell your car and cycle to the gym Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, that's what I did - came to the conclusion that I was paying £30 a month to run or cycle on stationary objects! Amazing how different running on road is to treadmill, do a few streches etc to ensure flexibility. As for weights - not really bothered about them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Your right there. If you do a little running, and want to see improvement in a short time hill reps are the way. It's real lung-popping stuff, but the benifits become obvious pretty quickly. Also because your working very hard for shorter periods, the sort of pounding of the knees that some have mentioned elsewhere today, are less of an issue. I'd say a good warmup prior to the hills is highly recommended though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saxabar wrote:
How are you getting ready for the coming season?Very Happy

No need to do anything extra. I cycle everyday & do approx 10hrs squash training a week Very Happy Skiing is pretty low in the burncount in camparison Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well recently I cut my weekly alchohol units down to single digits (from the high 70's!) but as the season approaches I think the liver needs to get back in training for all those Genepi and Bombardini! Might have to up it to nearer the 40 mark in preparation. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's not just about short term physical strength but balance, stamina, technique, style, movement memory etc.

So get on your ski clobber (inc boots), shake your body down on that garden table and strut your stuff otherwise your Apres Ski table dancing just won't cut it this season (just like last season).

One legged cycling is another good serious suggestion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, cancel the gym membership. Us doing so has so far paid for a Concept 2 rowing machine, and a skiers edge machine, and a few weights, and no one at home ever tells me to stop drinking red wine between spells on the machines. I am still a bit of a lardy for some reason Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been practicing falling flat on my face.. not much exercise required for that

Seriously.. running and some stretches along the lines of yoga
ski holidays
Arno, I have thought about that - partly because it would cost me no more to hire a car for essential trips than owning one.

stoatsbrother, House is a bit small for all that kit. Mind you, younger son has a wooden-framed rowing machine that stacks neatly against wall. Resistance is provided by a paddle moving through water rather than air. Younger son and wife thin machine is a sort of objet d'art when stacked. Trouble is, Mrs a doesn't.

Quote:
and no one at home ever tells me to stop drinking red wine between spells on the machines. I am still a bit of a lardy for some reason

Laughing

Cycling snowheads, how much do winter conditions on the road (ice/salty slush) affect everyday cycling in the winter?
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
achilles, cancel the gym membership. Us doing so has so far paid for a Concept 2 rowing machine, and a skiers edge machine, and a few weights, and no one at home ever tells me to stop drinking red wine between spells on the machines. I am still a bit of a lardy for some reason Smile

ahh the concept 2.. possibly the most fiendish machine designed by man.. try the 2000 metre challenge and the how far you can get in 30 minutes..
snow report
As mentioned above, you really can't beat hill running for aerobic exercise. When in Les Arcs a few months ago I tried doing a run around and above 1800 and nearly died trying. Even hill walking for a month improved my lung capacity no end. In Cardiff we have an enormous park in the middle of town so that does the job for when I fancy a change from the monotony of the treadmill. I'd like to say that I'd made use of the bike and got out to the Brecon Beacons regularly but I only managed it a handful of times Embarassed
snow conditions
I have just got back from my first jog of the season in the New Forest, and it was a lovely day for it too. I only jogged for about 10 mins, so probably only covered a mile or just over. I shall do some sort of other exercise tomorrrow and go again on Friday. I feel pleased with myself for going Little Angel . . . but not sure I'd be so keen on a dull, damp day, that said I hate running in the height of the summer. Confused
snow conditions
saxabar wrote:

20mins: fairly easy for the 1st ten, like a lunatic for the 2nd ten.

Just to qualify, that's for running wink
snow report
IncogSkiSno wrote:
I have just got back from my first jog of the season in the New Forest, and it was a lovely day for it too. I only jogged for about 10 mins, so probably only covered a mile or just over. I shall do some sort of other exercise tomorrrow and go again on Friday. I feel pleased with myself for going Little Angel . . . but not sure I'd be so keen on a dull, damp day, that said I hate running in the height of the summer. Confused

Fair play, I hate running in the hot sun too. I do like it in the rain though, just for the 'eye of a tiger' feeling Very Happy
ski holidays
saxabar, Laughing I should have added that I did some power walking before and after the jogging. My dog kept getting under my feet, and it was only the fact that my mobile fell out of my sleeve that I stopped when I did (excuses LOL). Confused
snow report
Just back from a good 2hr walk with 6 dogs & 2 friends - good long stint of steady exercise! Lunchtime now I think! Very Happy
snow report
achilles wrote:
Cycling snowheads, how much do winter conditions on the road (ice/salty slush) affect everyday cycling in the winter?

Has no effect in The Netherlands . Bikes are the only of form of transport that millions rely on.
We have thousand of km's of dedicated Cycle paths which are even ice treated befor ethe roads get done Very Happy

There is a huge cylcing union here that makes sure the cycle paths are kept in top condtion.

http://www.fietsersbond.nl/urlsearchresults.asp?itemnumber=1
ski holidays
stanton, Plus if it gets really cold you can take shortcuts down the canals yes? wink
snow conditions
We get then get out the Ice Speed Skates & thats when the real fun begins Very Happy

http://www.elfstedentocht.nl/sjablonen/2/infotype/webpage/view.asp?objectID=137

http://images.google.nl/images?svnum=10&hl=nl&lr=&q=elfstedentocht&btnG=Zoeken
snow report
saxabar, are you not bothering with the workout I sent you then??? I am disappointed Crying or Very sad

The calf extensions aren't really that relevant as a prime exercise for improving ski fitness and the 'flapping like a bird' exercise or as we know it in the business the 'lat raise' is again not what I would class as a prime skiing exercise.

The workout I designed works all of the major muscles used in snowsports and in a way that is most beneficial to improving the condition of those muscles in preparation for your time on the hill. All of the exercises you are doing are static, isolation exercises that in no way mimic any of the movement patterns used in skiing or snowboarding.

If you need to discuss anything to do with the workouts feel free to drop me a PM or an email.

If anyone else who hasn't yet seen my workout wants a copy then PM me your email addy and I will send it to you.
snow report
Hmm let's see - little bits mostly.

Playing the saxophone (with rehearsals and gigs I've probably played for about 12 hours in the last 3 days - and being the only girlie in a band of big men with big lungs and having to pull my weight volume-wise means it's proper work!)
1 hour Pilates session once a week, plus exercises at home during the week
1 x swimming session (500 m) a week - I used to swim competitively as a kid so this is "proper" swimming, not just an easy doggy paddle Very Happy
Dog walking
Weights - leg press (15 reps) and knee curl (?) (15 reps) every morning while feeding dogs
And nearer the time I'll start wearing ankle weights round the house, doing leg raises etc while waiting for the kettle to boil

I don't get out of breath on piste, but the powder we were doing last year was more work! That lot may not be enough, but I'll just have to wing it. There just aren't the hours int eh day to do things that require going out of the house specially - it has to fit in with my ordinary routine
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stocky, I will be giving the workout a go but today was the 'ease my way back into it' session doing the kind of stuff I'm used to. Certainly not a wasted effort on your part! Little Angel
latest report
Shock I feel pathetic, all I do is a brisk walk into town when I'm at college, it's good exercise cos it's a hill and quite far, still feel pathetic though lol! Oh, and sailing, on a windy day that's a good workout.
latest report
This is most important for any one intending on doing a season......

1/open fridge/cupboard
2/find beer/wine
3/find bottle opener
4/open bottle
5/ now the excersise bit...................lift arm to mouth
6/drink
7/ prepare liver!!!

physical excersise just stays the same as for all year round, walking the dog often for 3/4 hours but still jsut walking the dog..

spend the first 2 days shredding the back bottom out of the fresh untracked pow ache like mad but from that point in i will be season fit!!!! And as long as i;ve been doiung the above excersise during winter season my liver will be ready too

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
snowangel., Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
snowangel., With you on that one (minus the dog walking - that sounds a bit strenuous Very Happy)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy