Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK retailers for Spyder skiwear?

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be looking to buy some Spyder skiwear for next season. What retailers in the UK sell Spyder? Snow&Rock sell one or two items from Spyder's range - any other shop have a broader selection to choose from?

Regards

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob, I don't think so.
You might be best to buy from the likes of REI.com in the states, and ship it. Given the current exchange rate, you should still save a few pounds.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
errrr are you sure you want advertise the wearing of Syder skiwear? NehNeh Wink

Saw quite a lot of Spyder gear on the stands at the Daily Mail Snow Exhibition last year, guess you could try there again in a few months? October is it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would that be a catsuit you're after rob@rar.org.uk? Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob, the UK importers are Big Bear Sports in Perivale Middx. See www.bigbearsports.co.uk. They're very helpful I'm sure a call to them will get the info you need.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, only for cavorting around the house, when I'm on the slopes I'll wear something which doesn't make me look like I've been squeezed into a sausage skin!

Dan, I'm not sure of the etiquette around here - am I committing some hideous social gaffe by wearing Spyder?

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, Shame - I've a lovely second-hand bright yellow Spyder racesuit for sale, size very small person (or 10-12 year old)..... Schneider's the race wear of choice at the moment in the Savoie...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, errrr well that's just the feeling/impression i got from some sk=ers commenting on other sk=ers sypder wear last year.

As for Spyder gear, it looks impressive and the price tag to go with it is as well!

As long as it's not a one piece you'll be on the right track Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nothing wrong with a one-piece Spyder!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or indeed a one-piece spider.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any guesses as to my make of jacket Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, which jacket do you have?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've got the Team Venom jacket and it's great - extremely well thought out design & excellent quality. I don't think it's on their web site though. The Venom does not have a quilted liner but is instead just an outer shell. I prefer this as I'm always warm and most other jackets just cook me. I can just add extra layers if needed.

I bought mine in Courcheval 1650 at the end of March in the store's end of season sale. I got about 45% off list. Don't forget that the mark-up on clothing is huge so you should always be able to haggle a decent discount, even in the height of the season - and with Spyder gear being at the top of the market this makes a big difference.

I haven't seen any UK retailers with a decent stock to peruse so you might be better buying on-line from one of the US dealers, plus you'd benefit from the strong pound as Fox suggests. If you want a real bargain buy some Oakleys at the same time.

If you really want to try before you buy then you might have a problem, although it would be worth checking out if Big Bear Sports are going to be at the ski show in October.

If I hadn't bought the Spyder I would have probably bought a Killy jacket. They're certainly equal to Spyder in quality (& price) but more available in the UK & Europe. I tried Peter B's in C1650 & was really close to buying one until I spotted the linerless Spyder lurking on the rack. You can also get good end of season discount on Killy gear also.

Happy shopping, or if you're coming to MK on the 7th I'll see you then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just one question about Spyder or Killy stuff - does it _really_ work or just look pretty? They both seem to have a lot of seams in (at least the jackets I've seen) which even with seam seals surely can't be a good thing, and seemed pretty heavy.
People I've skied with in the US don't seem to have terribly high regard for Killy stuff - just a way of spotting Europeans!!
Think I'll stick with my Arcteryx stuff - now that really works (tested in Whistler and Meribels best and worst) and has that kind of less is more serious skier look (even if like me you're not quite there yet!!) snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth wrote:
People I've skied with in the US don't seem to have terribly high regard for Killy stuff - just a way of spotting Europeans!!

stuart, I hate to disagree with you, but when I was in Alta & Jackson this year, one of my friends had his Killy gear on, and a lot of people were commenting on it - from what I gather, Killy is becoming fashionable again in the US
snow report
Must just have been the ones I was skiing with snowHead
ski holidays
spyderjon, is the Team Venon jacket the one with the liftpass window on the chest? I don't understand why more manufacturers don't include easy ways to display lift passes.

stuarth, Spyder is the best gear that I've worn when skiing. No problems with seams or general waterproofness, lots of useful pockets and other knicknacks (one of my Spyder jackets has a built-in waterbladder and drink tube), it's very robust and if you like the style then it's perfect. Except for the price, because it ain't cheap Sad

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
spyderjon, is the Team Venon jacket the one with the liftpass window on the chest? I don't understand why more manufacturers don't include easy ways to display lift passes.

Because this feature is really only a season-pass holder feature. There are only so many season-pass holders.

At Snowbasin in Utah, for example, they check VERY closely to make sure you cannot easily transfer your day pass to anyone else or any other item of clothing. Take a look at the hand pockets, though. On most decent modern jackets there should be at least one with a loop of shock cord to allow you to put the pass into your pocket and take it out again easily.

Quote:

stuarth, Spyder is the best gear that I've worn when skiing. Except for the price, because it ain't cheap Sad

Spyder-brand layering garments have too much cotton for my taste.

Last Utah trip, we made the organiser leave his Spyder jacket in the SUV. Of a sudden, we got better rental and drink deals. Coincidence? I think not.
snow report
Quote:
Because this feature is really only a season-pass holder feature. There are only so many season-pass holders.

Not sure why this would be for season-pass holders only. Is it because of the pass carrying a photo of the holder? In all the European resorts I've skied any pass longer than three days includes a photo - it doesn't need to be a season long pass to require a photo.

Some resorts are moving towards electronic passes, so having an easy way way to display a photo-based pass becomes irrelevant in those cases.

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
Quote:
Last Utah trip, we made the organiser leave his Spyder jacket in the SUV. Of a sudden, we got better rental and drink deals. Coincidence? I think not.

This is shocking! I think we should immediately start a Spyder Defence League to protect us Spyder-wearers against unnecessary discrimination. Just because you wear Spyder doesn't mean you have more money than sense - I bought all my Spyder kit in sales and eBay auctions!

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, in the US, only season passes have photos on them. The rest vary from one resort to the next, but in many larger resorts, the passes have a bar code which needs to be scanned as you get on the main lifts.
From my experience, electronic passes are best kept in an arm pocket, not the chest, as it is a lot easier to scan them without having to try to twist your body to get it close enough.
latest report
When I worked there, Finches, in Forest Hill, used to stock Spyder - Helix range which is mostly lightweight shells for backcountry use (all terms are from the spyder catalogue by the way), Venom range a mixture of shell and insulation from a newschool perspective, the Platinum range gear such as the coaches jacket with the zip off sleeves and pop-up collar, the classic spyder look, some of the race gear inc. speedsuits and also the Womens equivalents too. Check the website www.finches-ski.com to see what they still have, and contact details for if they are getting what you want in next season.

Only thing people need to be aware of is that they only use coatings, no laminates (at least not that I have ever seen!). Although this is less of a problem these days as coatings are often just as good if you're not doing a full season or aren't particularly hard on you kit, you can get equally as good stuff from the likes of North Face and Helly Hansen for a LOT less money.
snow report
Thanks JonL, I've not been to Finches before, so I'll keep an eye on them next season.

Regards

Rob
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Is the Team Venon jacket the one with the liftpass window on the chest? I don't understand why more manufacturers don't include easy ways to display lift passes.

Yep, that's the one. I'm so pleased with it that I'm thinking of getting another identical one before Spyder go and do what most manufacturers seem to do when they've a great product - 'improve it' some more and end up ruining it!

The lift pass pocket on the chest is damned useful. I used it in Saas Fee recently with their 'scanner type' passes going through the turnstyles without any problems or the need for contortions etc. For photo type passes it's also really easy for the lift staff to see as you approach them.

JonL, thanks also for the Finches tip-off.
snow report
Try here as they appear to be stockists.
http://www.kim4snowandbike.co.uk/SPYDER_Jackets.htm
snow report
Peter B,

What's a die-hard Killy man like you doing looking at Spyder jackets Puzzled
snow report
Spyder now has corporate partners.

I especially like the blurb:
Quote:
This will be helpful as Spyder pursues new opportunities to broaden our product line to include multiple seasons and other action sports

Now, for those who remember Spyder SpeedWIRE, will this be the new future of "Dutch speed stripes?"

I envision a sports world of Tony Chachere with a definite motto of "Use it on Everything!"
ski holidays
Hi Rob - yes Finches normally stock a good range of Spyder gear - it's our local ski shop. M Coins was SO into Spyder stuff last year, had to traipse round everywhere trying to get what he wanted. Also found a good ski gear shop next to the Bromley dry ski slope - the guy there has a good range of stuff and quite often discounted (he gives me the creeps though Madeye-Smiley - sorry if he is actually someone here!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy