Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody. I was just wondering if anybody knows a good ski boot fitter either near Sandbach (south Cheshire) or near Wigan? My wife always seems to have trouble with hire boots (we have just got back from a week at Espace Killy - The weather was amazing!!)and we were thinking of getting her a pair.
Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Graham at Rivington Alpine (Horwich) would seem to be closest to you, unless you fancy a trip down the M6 to see COlin @ Solutions4Feet

Edit: PS welcome to snowheads!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to see Colin @ solutions4feet on Friday. The wife and I got shiny new boots and she got a beer! (I was driving Sad ).
Very highly recommended. Gonna try them at the snow dome this week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hot off the press!!! Shona Anderson who was working for Blues in Glasgow will be working for NEVISPORT in Glasgow as of the 1st of November. Best to give her a call to arrange an appointment;- 01413324814. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Snowheads!

I'm looking at getting a new pair of boots, and have my eye on the Head Adaptedge 100.

I've got a few questions though, that are more general, and the guy in the local ski shop, although he did find a good fitting boot, doesn't seem to be able to answer a question without a marketing manual!

I'm 95-100kg Rower/Rugby player build, 6'2" and an intermediate skier (comfortable on all reds, moving onto including more blacks). Will a flex rating of 100 be enough for me, and remain enough for the coming few years (don't want to have to buy a new pair next season)? I will tend to spend between 10 and 20 days on the piste each year, started Jan 2012. (live in Stuttgart so Vorarlberg is about 3h away!)

Would be great to get your opinions on the boot and my requirements.

Bests from the Vaterland,

Alex
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
aevansbw, welcome to the madhouse wink wink in a word NO, you probably should be looking at approx 120 flex with your stats especially as a sportsman who uses power

flex in boots is a highly personal thing and 100 from 1 brand is not 100 from another, if you are in that particular boot you also need to be thinking about foot width/volume, it is a very spacious boot and although works well for a larger volume foot it will not hold a slim or medium foot at all

i van't give you any fitters where you are but i am sure someone will be along with some suggestions of where to go
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

I'm looking to get my first pair of ski boots. I'm a size 10 UK shoe size, 6'1 weigh 80kgs. I would class myself as an intermediate skier, similar to aevansbw above, confident with reds and many black runs with some rare ventures off piste.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Yous
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
youey, welcone tom snowheads

Quote:

Any recommendations?

Go and see a bootfitter close to where you live. CHeck this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68061
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the pointer nbt, it's helped
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I need to buy Mrs provenjohn some new ski boots, now that devonskis seem to have closed I'm not sure where to go Puzzled Want to make sure they they are fitted correctly & also fancy someone having a look at my boots that are about 5 years old, they were never really fitted properly & I've often wondered if they need some custom insoles.
We are based in sunny Devon rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
provenjohn, Devon ski has just been bought and moved somewhere locally, don't have any more info than that at present
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, Thanks, they seem to have gone to ground! I have emailed you Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With Atomic Tracker 130s do the 'Livefit' panels make a big difference to boot fitting? and or stiffness?

I have narrow feet (97-98mm) and ideally would like to source a pair of boots suited to narrow feet and heels. Are the livefit versions more suited to slightly wider feet e.g. 100mm??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Guys, looking for some advice on boot fitting.
As a tall woman with long, wide feet (27.0) I have now developed bunionettes (little toe side) I think due to poor fitting (small) ski boots.
I am a fairly good skier and can tackle just about anything on-piste
Now thinking of going for some Atomics Live-fit 90w on the basis that they are quite wide. Obviously I would like them to be fitted properly - where in central London would be good? Is Snow and Rock OK?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hit and miss in the chains like Snow and Rock for fitting toocold, if you can make it to Biscester http://www.solutions4feet.com/ are among the best in the country. Though forget any preconcived ideas of what boots you want, let the fitter do their job, answer their questions honestly and buy whatever they say will be best for you.
latest report
I'm sure there must be some good shops in London itself. If you're looking a bit further afield, Outdoor Traders now have a shop with bootfitting at the Reading Skiplex, which is probably a bit easier to get to from London that Bicester. (http://www.skiplex.co.uk/indoor-ski-slopes/outdoor-traders.aspx)
snow report
http://www.devonski.co.uk/news.htm

Quote:
Devon Ski Centre is currently being relocated to new premises at Heathfield, Newton Abbot (near Mole Valley Farmers)

Opening details will be posted here in due course.

The new owners can be contacted on :-

07960 833128

latest report
balloonatic wrote:
Hi everybody. I was just wondering if anybody knows a good ski boot fitter either near Sandbach (south Cheshire) or near Wigan? My wife always seems to have trouble with hire boots (we have just got back from a week at Espace Killy - The weather was amazing!!)and we were thinking of getting her a pair.
Cheers!

If you are still in need Chris at Ventura in billings nr Wigan is excellent.
snow conditions
Just replaced Mini Rolls boots, bought as discussed in this thread in 2012 (page 11) at Bartletts, Uxbridge http://www.skibartlett.com/ with a slightly bigger and slightly stiffer pair of Lange RS 70 S.C (read "even more expensive") .

Usual high standards of care and attention, and I did get my Snowheads discount which was nice (Thank you Admin ) but they didn't do any PX on the previous pair despite them being still in the original plastic bags, inside the box.

You never know, there may be a pair of 22.5 Langes on snowHead Buy/Sell any time soon...
snow report
Hi all

I am based in East Yorkshire , can anyone suggest a good shop/ fitting service in this area- link above does not work for me ,I'm afraid

Thanks
latest report
Been skiing 10 years and always hired boots which have never been great. Broke ankle in March this year so decided time to invest in my own boots. Have no clue what to look for. Have local company on doorstep - David Sayer, Yarm, they are also equestrian suppliers so just thinking can you be great at both?!! Anyone heard of David Sayers Yarm and would you recommend? Nevisport Middlesbrough is another option?
snow report
@going downhill fast,
I went to Rivington Alpine, near Bolton, on Thursday. Not sure how far this would be for you but they were excellent at sorting my boot problem out and their customer service was outstanding Smile
latest report
@going downhill fast, Highly recommend Glide and Slide in Otley. Steve has fitted boots for me to a high standard and I've watched them in action with other customers.
ski holidays
Hi all, I bought my boots a couple of years ago after being in painful hire boots. I got them fitted at Snow and Rock, and thought they were great at the time, my feet didn't hurt too much because they were nice and wide and they looked cool, too.

Anyway, now I'm a bit more experience I realised that they're probably not that great for both my feet and my skiing, after all (various reasons).

Can anyone recommend a good, experienced fitter around Manchester? (Not to adjust the current ones but just to start afresh with new ones.) ski hol coming up fast so want to get them broken in!

Thanks!
ski holidays
Is Adlington (Lancashire not Cheshire) close enough?

http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/
snow conditions
Yes altis, it is! I missed that above. Read some reviews, looks like a good place to go. Thanks Smile
snow report
Hi advice please. I've trawled the forum but still need some advice.
I'm looking for a pair of boots for 16yo daughter who's v competent (ski-ied since age 3) but more a piste princess than a mogul queen. Definitely values comfort over performance in boots- some previous holidays have involved numerous visits to the hire shop but once she has had a comfortable pair she is v happy and that can happen occasionally on day one so I'm sure it's not just being difficult. Solomon ladies W80 have been good but I'm wondering if that's a) a bit too soft for her now she's getting stronger and b) a bit obvious- the Fiat 500 option- and could there be something that's better?
So we're going to Decathlon tomorrow, but we are near Captains Cabin in Canterbury so that's an option, or should we buy in resort (cheeky weekend planned to courmayeur early December)?
Any suggestions on style/models as well- she's got quite wide calves from all her sports but quite small (5) feet? Or should we just carry on hiring?
Cheers!
latest report
Go to a good ski shop with a good bootfitter who should be able to sort her out with the right boots for her size, weight, skiing ability etc etc.

I would do this rather than go to decathlon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Doccam, has she stopped growing yet? Buying boots a bit of a waste if they'll only last effectively a couple of weeks...
snow report
I have snapped a clasp on my Tecnica Vento 8 boots. Whilst I would be able to effect some semblance of a repair I would sooner send them to a professional to have this issue fixed and, if such a thing exists, have the boots 'serviced' (other clasps are loose). Maybe even, at the same time, have some insoles fitted.

Who would people recommend to me? Preferably someone in the Sheffield area.
latest report
I've been racing on second hand boots for more than a year now - it has been recomended to me that i should replace the liner with one molded to my foot however the shell of the boot doesn't need to be replaced. Any thoughts on this? Have I been given good advice? Puzzled
snow report
@affectedboat, is the shell correct size? I.e. If you take the liner out, put your foot in till your toes toch the end, how much space between heel and shell?
latest report
Just to update we went down the Captains Cabin route and got some Head next Edge 80's. Cost c£50 more than available on Google search, but free carry bag included and about an hours worth of advice and fitting which I think pretty much evens out the deal. Hopefully they'll fit!
snow report
Can anyone recommend a good bootfitters in the Leeds area? I have interestingly shaped feet and struggle to get a balance between tight enough to maintain control and still having some blood left in my feet when I wear rental boots, so am looking at getting my own! I'd prefer somewhere local so I can try them out at my local indoor slope before heading off on holiday. Thanks!
snow report
@lotllamas,
Many on here speak very highly of Glide n' Slide at Otley for their bootfitting & other services.

I live in Halifax but took the plunge & bought boots fitted by Colin at Solutions for Feet in Bicester, including balancing/shims etc from Andy McCann at the same time. Look at the website. This costs almost the same as a holiday. By a million miles the best fitting boot I have ever had.

I wore mine while ironing before departure to further mould the liners.
snow conditions
Thanks!
ski holidays
@Astraeus, i ordered replacements for my Solomans from Foothills in sheff, they're a Soloman dealer have a look for a Technica stockist and change them yourself!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@affectedboat, is the shell correct size? I.e. If you take the liner out, put your foot in till your toes toch the end, how much space between heel and shell?

2.5cm the boots are 43mm size 9 Smile
snow report
*btween heel and back of boot
ski holidays
Recommend "Racefit" great value
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy