Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Old Fartbag wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:
Folks,

can I have your opinion, I'm not experienced and don't know exactly how a boot should fit. If I went to a regular store, tried a boot which seems comfortable and gently tight - no sliding inside, can bend toes up and down but not to sides. Stayed with that for ~ 10 min and felt ok. Tried another one before which after few minutes became painful.

Does that mean much or still very much possible when it comes to real skiing could be a pain ?

It's hard to call from here, but the inner lining will pack down after a while....so if that happens, it "may" prove to be a little big.

So should it be tighter at first ? the clips were mainly adjusted to first or second position, just plenty to adjust to get more pressure
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gustavobs wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:
Folks,

can I have your opinion, I'm not experienced and don't know exactly how a boot should fit. If I went to a regular store, tried a boot which seems comfortable and gently tight - no sliding inside, can bend toes up and down but not to sides. Stayed with that for ~ 10 min and felt ok. Tried another one before which after few minutes became painful.

Does that mean much or still very much possible when it comes to real skiing could be a pain ?

It's hard to call from here, but the inner lining will pack down after a while....so if that happens, it "may" prove to be a little big.

So should it be tighter at first ? the clips were mainly adjusted to first or second position, just plenty to adjust to get more pressure

I think your toes should be lightly touching the front, when not bending your knees.

The boots can feel a little tighter than ideal, to allow them to pack down, to where they are ideal. New boots should fit well enough, that the top 2 clips only need lightly fastened (rather than cranked a bit to have them feel they will give control). IME. Boots that feel very comfortable in the shop, are usually too big.

All I can say is - if your boots loosen out from where they are now, do you think they will be a little big?

Maybe Colin from S4F will see this and give more detailed comment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@nevis1003, So you reject the evidence of the actual stock Decathlon UK were carrying across all their stores in January to substitute some fantasy range that you imagine will be available.

I can play that game - don't waste your money in Decathlon, Tesco will have the total range of every ski boot ever made for £5 max next week.

Just have a look at this years stock it's there now, plenty boots up to £400, put your brain in before you post crap...

As to your farcical skiing claims and remarks about tying people down, grow up....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nevis1003, think that there's greater choice in FR than in the UK - don't seem to have the more expensive boots in the UK.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dobby wrote:
@nevis1003, think that there's greater choice in FR than in the UK - don't seem to have the more expensive boots in the UK.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-785230-ski-and-snowboard/N-278949-product-category~footwear/N-299718-product-type~ski-boots

There's the link, there's all prices up to £400 at the moment, probably more as the season goes on...hopefully Dave Marmite is able to read...and will stop posting garbage...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So knowing what I know about my foot shape and boot shape, and my weight etc, nothing from Decathlon will fit me. What do I do now???? Can take them back all day long, but if they aren't suitable, they aren't suitable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@endoman don't even try mate, we've spent the last 3 pages putting forward this sensible argument and it has no traction at all.

Apparently all bootfitters are shysters and Decathlon, with it's free returns policy, is the only good cop in dodge city.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nevis1003 wrote:
dobby wrote:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-785230-ski-and-snowboard/N-278949-product-category~footwear/N-299718-product-type~ski-boots

There's the link, there's all prices up to £400 at the moment, probably more as the season goes on...hopefully Dave Marmite is able to read...and will stop posting garbage...

Yeah awesome - loving the cross country skiing shoes . There's evidence they really know what's what.

On the other hand it might just be that the UK site is just an automated poor translation of French material and therefore not entirely reliable as to what will be on the shelves of the average UK Decathlon. But as you believe in the mighty Decathlon money back guarantee over all it's pointless engaging with you as you just don't get it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 10-10-17 9:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dp wrote:
@endoman don't even try mate, we've spent the last 3 pages putting forward this sensible argument and it has no traction at all.

Apparently all bootfitters are shysters and Decathlon, with it's free returns policy, is the only good cop in dodge city.

I wasn't going to! LAck of purple font again is my undoing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a few pages ago this was a fairly sensible thread about helping people get the right ski boot....... I'm OUT
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM, just get the popcorn out and enjoy it for amusement value. Yeah, I know you've got better things to do Very Happy Little Angel snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]
nevis1003 wrote:
dobby wrote:

Yeah awesome - loving the cross country skiing shoes . There's evidence they really know what's what.

On the other hand it might just be that the UK site is just an automated poor translation of French material and therefore not entirely reliable as to what will be on the shelves of the average UK Decathlon. But as you believe in the mighty Decathlon money back guarantee over all it's pointless engaging with you as you just don't get it.[/quote

More rubbish, there is 26 different boots there, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/ski+boots
This thread is a great advert for Decathlon....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even less choice if you follow Decathlon's menu system.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-847948-ski-boots

12 boots, 3 Child's, 4 Women's and 5 Men's boots.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nevis1003, nah. bolloxs. Decathlon is great for a good many things but skis boots are not one of them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
so i"m confused,depending on what link you follow there is either 12 boots for sale or 100, the 12 boot link which has wedz is not as good as the 100 boot link which has salomon, nordica and atomic, all very reputable makes.
latest report
@nevis1003, So Mr I live in the alps and am awesome and know everything about boots tell me how

Quote:

Designed for for the expert skier looking for a boot suitable for Alpine skiing and cross-country skiing.
Hawx XTD incarnate the fusion between the best of alpine skiing and cross-country skiing. These adaptable boots are equipped with an elevated flex.

Is in any way an acceptable English description of a ski boot? It is simply wrong using the English interpretation of cross-country skiing.

Now what it actually is is a WTR soled boot with tech inserts. Nothing there about WTR soles not being certified for use with traditional alpine bindings. Gonna be some upset customers needing that money back guarantee when they rely on

Quote:

Also the info section on Decathalon boots is quite informative, it states if it is a large or low volume boot and has flex information. It includes details of walk mode etc and what standard of skier the boot should appeal to.

then can't get them into their XC or regular alpine bindings.

But I really shouldn't do this because I suspect you're just trolling.

For the benefit of our other readers I don't have anything against Decathlon - I think they are brilliant at what they do, have enthusiatic young staff and their Frenglish is sometimes a source of great joy. But what they do isn't being the greatest in depth experts in any field.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-10-17 15:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

But I really shouldn't do this because I suspect you're just trolling.

ski holidays
Anyone had problem contacting solutions4feet? E-mailed and rung. No reply to emails. Phone just permanent engaged tone
snow report
@Mark1863, phones are busy what e mail are you using? we are here and run off our feet just leaving office now as i am about to crack up with some of todays requests
snow report
@CEM, you don't have someone asking to make the boots they bought in Decalthlon that are 2 sizes too big or 2 sizes too small fit do you? I think he may be called Mr Nevis Very Happy
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
@Mark1863, phones are busy what e mail are you using? we are here and run off our feet just leaving office now as i am about to crack up with some of todays requests

Customers requesting some tasteful music to listen to during fitting Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Or that you stop singing while fitting Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
@CEM, you don't have someone asking to make the boots they bought in Decalthlon that are 2 sizes too big or 2 sizes too small fit do you? I think he may be called Mr Nevis Very Happy

Sorry Mr Nevis knows if his boots fit or not, it's the tossers who feel they need somebody else to tell them if they fit or not...
ski holidays
@nevis1003. People are tossers because they don't know how ski boots should fit? Really? Not the sort of purchase you make every day and hardly like buying a pair of shoes
snow conditions
dobby wrote:
@nevis1003. People are tossers because they don't know how ski boots should fit? Really? Not the sort of purchase you make every day and hardly like buying a pair of shoes

What happens in the boot fitters, do they not say, how do those feel, are they a good fit? etc.....does somebody else answer those questions for you or do you answer them yourself?
snow conditions
http://www.powder.com/gear-locker/know-buying-new-boots/
snow report
Erm, if you buy a pair of boots that are "comfortable" when you first try them on they'll be too big after a few days' skiing (if not before).
snow conditions
@CEM,
The email I have always used Colin at
Sent couple of messages
And the phone number on site. Will try again.
Cheers
snow conditions
@nevis1003, Have you ever actually used a pro bootfitter? Not just a salesman in a shop. We know you deliberately aren't getting it but many people who buy the boot that feels really comfortable in the shop end up in a boot that is too big for them. Particularly if they don't understand how liners pack out etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endoman wrote:

many thanks for that. It was interesting to read about flex not being such a big issue as far as he was concerned. My boot fitter had said the same but a number of comments on the site about how important it was for flex rating to be higher for taller/heavier skiers brought some doubt, now happily dispelled.
ski holidays
For as long as I've been skiing (~30 years) people complaining about their boots and having boot problems has been a constant theme. That is not to say there aren't some people who have or can buy a boot off the shelf and never have a problem or don't realise they have a problem or ski in a fashion that the problem doesn't get to them. But there is clearly a need for boot fitters and the paraphernalia they use.
snow conditions
Penry wrote:
endoman wrote:

many thanks for that. It was interesting to read about flex not being such a big issue as far as he was concerned. My boot fitter had said the same but a number of comments on the site about how important it was for flex rating to be higher for taller/heavier skiers brought some doubt, now happily dispelled.

For balance:

I'm tall and heavy. I was in a 110 Flex boot and moved to a 130 Flex in the same model of boot. Same size etc. So fits exactly the same, just stiffer.

It's made so much difference. My boots used to collapse under my weight and I'd be using leg strength to stay upright because the boots couldn't support me fully. The 130s support me fully and all my weight goes into bending the ski - I turn faster and get more grip in my turns.

I 100% disagree that flex isn't an issue. Think about it. The boot interfaces your leg with the ski. You push forward, and the boot converts this into a downward pressure into the ski, bending and thus turning it. If the boot collapses because it's too flexible for the weight being pushed through it, the weight which was meant to be getting sent to the ski is actually just being lost in your body because your movement is being limited by the ROM of your ankle not be the stiffness of the boot.

Bodies come in different sizes and weights. Flex is one main area where one design of boot can be made to fit different people and styles.
ski holidays
Long thread, but FWIW Profeet is a boot fitter with a change of boots policy:

Quote:
'If your ski boots or custom liners continue to cause discomfort after allowing us sufficient opportunities to try and resolve the problem, we will happily exchange them for another model within a two year period from date of purchase. Usage fees apply of 30% of purchase price in the first year and 50% of purchase price in the second year. You will need to pay the difference in value and usage fee along with any other extras purchased.'
ski holidays
vernz1983 wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, But they will just push the foot up, so it will hurt more?

Take them back, get your money back, don't wait to find out on the slopes, they won't change them after that. If they hurt at home, they'll kill you on the slopes.
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
vernz1983 wrote:

Take them back, get your money back, don't wait to find out on the slopes, they won't change them after that. If they hurt at home, they'll kill you on the slopes.

Timely advice, to an 11 year old posting Sad
snow report
@nevis1003, Have you ever actually used a pro bootfitter? Not just a salesman in a shop. We know you deliberately aren't getting it but many people who buy the boot that feels really comfortable in the shop end up in a boot that is too big for them. Particularly if they don't understand how liners pack out etc.

Why are you saying 'we know', are you the queen? Do you speak for the forum?
Anyway, regarding boot fitters, the point you forget is that they are sales persons, bottom line. Their job is to sell you a boot, I'm sure some may be good, but a lot of people end up being given badly fitting boots by "boot fitters". By all means listen to what they have to say but work it out for yourself, it's not hard to measure your own foot and try boots on. I liken boot fitters to car salesmen or any other sales person for that matter, don't be naive about them.
As I said before, if they are that good or caring, where is the guarantee that boots that don't fit can be taken back. Can you answer that question, why don't boot fitters give that guarantee?
Thats why I prefer to buy boots at Decathlon, it is great to be able to take them back for up to 12 months, and there is nothing wrong with putting that on the forum, if you don't like it, or it's not for you fine, but keep your personal remarks to yourself, keyboard skier.
Heres the Decathlon link again, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/ski+boots

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-10-17 9:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
vernz1983 wrote:

This advice might have been of use to him 11 years ago. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@nevis1003,
Quote:

regarding boot fitters, the point you forget is that they are sales persons, bottom line. Their job is to sell you a boot, I'm sure some may be good, but a lot of people end up being given badly fitting boots by "boot fitters". By all means listen to what they have to say but work it out for yourself, it's not hard to measure your own foot and try boots on. I liken boot fitters to car salesmen or any other sales person for that matter, don't be naive about them.

Who has said that this - perfectly valid - point should be forgotten? Not all boot fitters are good. But a good one will pay dividends.
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:

Why are you saying 'we know', are you the queen? Do you speak for the forum?

I think what he means is that more or less everyone else on this thread is saying: go to a bootfitter, they will fit your boots and you're saying, don't go to a bootfitter, they don't have any skills that you don't have so you'd be better off buying from Decathlon then in the event that you get your self-service bootfitting wrong, you can take them back for a refund.

So I think 'we' comes from the fact that you're basically a one man army fighting everyone else.

Quote:

Anyway, regarding boot fitters, the point you forget is that they are sales persons, bottom line. Their job is to sell you a boot, I'm sure some may be good, but a lot of people end up being given badly fitting boots by "boot fitters". By all means listen to what they have to say but work it out for yourself, it's not hard to measure your own foot and try boots on. I liken boot fitters to car salesmen or any other sales person for that matter, don't be naive about them.

This is I think either where (a) you're not understanding what people are saying, or (b) you don't want to understand what people are saying. I suspect a bit of both.

A boots sales shop wants to sell boots. My first boots came from a boots sales shop. The guy gave me 3 pairs to try on. Asked me which ones felt the best. I said these ones. He said OK. He put them in an oven, made me some insoles, put the insoles in the boots, put the boots on my feet, covered them in ice packs, and at the end of the day I as a naive inexperienced boot buyer went home with a pair of 'fitted' boots. Which were not fitted at all, and as it later transpired, very much not the right boots for me. What you're refusing to see is that nobody here is calling that shop a 'boot fitter' because they basically did what you described - gave me some options, asked me which felt best, then sold me the best of what later transpired to be a bad bunch.

My second boots came from a bootfitter. I - and more or less everyone else on the forum - make the distinction on the fact that some professional expertise was involved that could not be performed by anyone. The bootfitter had a good look at my foot and gave me some exercises to demonstrate my range of movement. He looked at the balance/alignment of my foot, to decide whether any sole planing needed to happen to put my boots flat on the floor. (How do you judge this yourself?). He listened to me about my existing feet issues, and produced insoles that actually support my feet properly (where the guy from the first shop failed). When the boots went on, he listened to my feedback in all areas of the boots and made some adjustments to the shell in his workshop. And, on leaving, he told me that I'd still be limited by my range of movement, and gave me some equipment and exercises to perform, to improve my ROM and better utilise the boot. This was based on his professional knowledge in podiatry. Not selling boots.

So if you're going to liken bootfitters to car salesmen... I think you could absolutely liken the guy in my first experience to a car salesman, but I think you'd have to liken the one in my second experience to a mechanic.

Quote:

As I said before, if they are that good or caring, where is the guarantee that boots that don't fit can be taken back. Can you answer that question, why don't boot fitters give that guarantee?

The guarantee isn't always there because the bootfitters have a confidence - from experience - that they will fit properly and not cause pain; or that if they do cause pain they can be fixed rather than refunded. I don't offer a money-back guarantee in my business because I've never had a client sufficiently dissatisfied to warrant giving them their money back.

The other reason I should imagine that bootfitters don't offer a limitless money back on boots is that (a) they can't afford to, and (b) it would open the doors to people taking the P155. What I mean is that Decathlon buy boots in such quantity from the manufacturer that they get huge discounts which reduce the unit cost substantially, and when some get returned they can put them in the skip or on eBay and not worry about it too much. Small independent bootfitters don't get substantial discounts because they buy relatively small quantities of each model. So they can't afford to throw boots away. And in terms of taking the proverbial, there are just too many chancers and dishonest shysters who would clearly 'buy' a pair of boots, take them on a week's skiing and then bring them back and say 'nah sorry mate they don't fit, money back please' and then they've basically had a week's free boot hire at the shop's expense.

Quote:

Thats why I prefer to buy boots at Decathlon, it is great to be able to take them back for up to 12 months, and there is nothing wrong with putting that on the forum

Nobody has ever claimed that there's anything wrong with putting that on the forum. What people are complaining about is your suggestion that all boot-fitters are a bunch of chancers telling you what you want to hear so they can sell boots, regardless of their suitability for you; and that's why buying boots blindly from Decathlon is actually better than seeing a professional tradesman for their advice and expertise.

Quote:
keep your personal remarks to yourself, keyboard skier.

Er, pot kettle? Puzzled
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
Thats why I prefer to buy boots at Decathlon, it is great to be able to take them back for up to 12 months

Just to explore this a bit more....

Here is Decathlons Return Policy

It states:
Quote:

we allow up to 365 days to return your items in the 2 following cases:
- unwanted goods: unused and in their original packaging
- if the product in use is not satisfactory for the intended sport practice

First one I'm not sure helps anyone here. Perhaps you take your boots home, watch the telly with them or walk around the house and then decide they are more uncomfortable than you thought or the wrong size. Wouldn't any shop take them back in those circumstances?

The second one - how is that defined or adjudicated? So I buy some boots, wear them for a couple of weeks on the slopes. They hurt like hell, so I take them back. And they refund you? Really?

Actually when you read on...
Quote:
Based on their assessment (condition of the product and length/frequency of use), our Decathlon team retains the right to accept or refuse the return, and in the case of a return, will choose the adapted solution (repair, exchange, partial or full refund).

Mmmm... sounds to me like you wouldn't get a full refund at all. But maybe someone has done just that...?

Just one other thing to note is that it is for "Decathlon card holders". Now as far as I know the card is free and easy to register for. But perhaps something that might catch a few people out.
ski holidays
@Layne, that returns policy doesn't sound to far from the statutory obligations of the seller under the sale of goods act.

Quote:
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires goods to be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

Fit for purpose means both for their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller

A high turnover store or chain with lots of staff will tend not to bother to contest a 'not fit for purpose' claim because establishing who said what is too much trouble and it doesn't come out of their pockets at the end of the day. The same doesn't apply to specialist shops.

The place I got mine fitted does have a guarantee out of interest,

Quote:
Any ski boots bought and fitted at Glide & Slide come with a Fit Guarantee and any fit adjustments that may be required over the life of the boots are free of charge!

while for example, Solutions 4 Feet are less explicit and Rivington Alpine make no mention.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy