Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
The_catcher wrote:

Thanks, I just don't want to have a boot fitter/ salesman tell me I need all the extra add ons if it's going to bring very little to my skiing/ comfort. I know custom foot beds and injection moulded liners are extra but it seems all the modern boots state they have heat mouldable shells and liners, is this included in the price of the boot and the fitting fee or do you pay extra for this? So confusing.

As you say, modern boots have liners that take the shape of your feet and have shells that are mouldable....what they don't have is a decent footbed, which is why this is worth doing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some shops charge a fitting fee, others include fitting in the price of the boot. Ultimately you're going to be paying for maybe a couple of hours of someones time whichever way they charge for it. I don't think I've seen anyone charging extra for heat moudling on top of the fitting fee.
As @Old Fartbag says decent footbeds are worth considering, also good thin ski socks, rather than great big woolly tube socks.
If you've got somewhere in mind give them a call and discuss your budget with them, they should be able to set your expectations realistically.
You don't have to go mad, but don't buy the wrong boots just because they are on sale.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@The_catcher, I could be wrong but my expectation is that heat forming shells where that’s intended to happen will be included in the price.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CEM,

I'm just curious, having read your clipping up order, how you'd approach a pair of Dalbello Lupos? Very Happy

Cheers
Nick
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks snowheads. So custom footbeds are worth investing in, more overtime at work required Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Covidien-TED-Anti-embolism-Stockings-DVT-Flight-Socks-PAIR-KNEE-LENGTH-L-Reg-E/252969077034?hash=item3ae621c92a:g:72kAAOSw6jNat5f9

These might be worth a try, once you have the correct measurement of your calves.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

So custom footbeds are worth investing in

Probably. See what your fitter says.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A boot fitting report -

My Salomon boots were about 12 yo and showing signs of age, liners knackered etc. Shopping on the internet for boots is bonkers, so off to the shops for me.

Its been a while since I last bought boots, it's fair to say the process is way different now as is the weight of materials!!

Went to a couple of shops in Edinburgh to talk to staff - was not convinced at one shop but liked the attitude at Blues, so got fitted at their place in Rose Street.

Couldn't be better, service wise. Took time measuring my feet, discussing my skiing level, my hip issues, talked about flex etc.

We then tried on a few boots - nothing in the sale suitable, but no point saving £100 on something as vital imo.

Tried on a pair of Fischer Ranger 120 - perfect, if a bit pricey. One good thing was that my existing footbeds were still in good condition.

No hard sell, despite it being a quiet summer day - went home to mull it over and then decided to go for it.

Retuned and did the rigmarole of heating the boots, standing in the pressure machine etc. And that's it.

Post sale?

I can go back for tweaks as many times as I want, including reheating of the shells (within reason), good advice on trying them out in Scotland for a day or so then going back in to discuss ahead of any trip abroad.

All in all, very professional, friendly and well structured approach to boot fitting.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brilliant service as expected from all at www.solutions4feet.com yesterday, Steven did a great job, identifying the best options for my feet and improving the solution with each piece of feedback that I gave. Final result - a happy customer and a comfortable yet correctly sized pair of boots that hold my foot securely and that I am confident fit as well as is possible!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking for advice on best option for me to get custom boots made but the problem is I'm in Dublin! Not convinced by the technical ability or skills of Snow & Rock in Dublin and no real options for testing them out here anyway. Considering flying to London for a weekend and trying to get a fitting done, plus a half day at a snowcentre to see if any tweaks are required. Is this overly ambitious? Or would I be better to wait until I get in resort? Would prefer not to spend half my ski week in a ski shop though .... 🤔 Any other options or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ammo, have you any particular reason to doubt them? I was pleasantly surprised by the young girl who did the fitting for my daughter in Snow & Rock, she was knowledgeable on the subject and was doing all the right things, and asking the right questions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ammo, slightly depends on which resort you are going to.

Generically, I wouldn’t be too excited about S&R either.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nickyj, I bought boots there before which I used for a few years but actually were probably too big and didn't do anything for my skiing. Brought them back to get custom soles which weren't great (according to in resort fitter in Morzine) and they also tried to adjust my old liner but that was a disaster. I don't think they are terrible but if I'm going to spend €500+ on new boots I want confidence in an expert fitter...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, going to La Tania above Meribel next year. So it might be a bit time consuming getting up and down to the fitters in Meribel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm.

If you can get to Bicester and an appointment at solutions4feet that’s probs what I’d do.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Hmmm.

If you can get to Bicester and an appointment at solutions4feet that’s probs what I’d do.

Thanks! Is there a snowcentre close to S4F to test the boots out?
ski holidays
Ammo wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Hmmm.

Thanks! Is there a snowcentre close to S4F to test the boots out?

It's about 30-40 mins drive to Milton Keynes and about 45-60 to Hemel
snow report
Ammo wrote:
@under a new name, going to La Tania above Meribel next year. So it might be a bit time consuming getting up and down to the fitters in Meribel.

La Tania isn't above Meribel, it's around the corner in the Courcheval valley. I am sure there are decent boot fitters in La Tania. It will take up a couple of hours one evening at least. But at least you will have the opportunity to test them out and go back for tweaks during the week. In your situation I think that is what I would do.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Ammo wrote:

La Tania isn't above Meribel, it's around the corner in the Courcheval valley. I am sure there are decent boot fitters in La Tania. It will take up a couple of hours one evening at least. But at least you will have the opportunity to test them out and go back for tweaks during the week. In your situation I think that is what I would do.

Or get the free bus from La Tania to Courchevel 1650 and go to The Boot Lab.
snow report
Thanks all. I've bitten the bullet and booked an appointment with Profeet for a Friday (never got a response from S4F when I messaged them for advice a while back and just not convenient for me!). Will pop out to Hemel for a few hours after to test them, and then if I need tweaks they can be done on the Saturday. That should set me up in a reasonably good place for La Tania, or any other sneaky long weekends I can fit in before then Laughing Laughing I'll let you all know how I get on in November...
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Or get the free bus from La Tania to Courchevel 1650 and go to The Boot Lab.

+1

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier but feel obliged to give a public recommendation to The Boot Lab in 1650 as it may help others.

All the LT seasonnaires I know go to The Boot Lab. I've had no end of problems with boots bought in the UK over the years but S4F (CEM on here) use them as a fitting/fix partner in resort. The Boot Lab have done several tweaks to my current pair (bought from S4F) and always with no hassle or question (or appointment, though I'd expect you'd need an appointment for a full fitting). AFAIK, they also have the reverse relationship - if you buy boots from The Boot Lab, CEM will tweak them for free in the UK.

It's on the bus route but it's also very easy to ski into - just dump/lock your skis in the ticket office and go down the escalator to the high street. The shop's diagonally opposite you (in the back of the New Generation ski school office) and it's also next door to a good bakery for a cheap lunch.

Ammo, IME, unless you've got very easy to fit feet, your chances of knowing if they work or not after a couple of hours in a snowdome are very low, especially if you have zipfits because they take days (or weeks, in my case) to bed in. Most of the tweaks done on my current boots were after several weeks of skiing, not a few hours. Being able to just wander into the Boot Lab is a massive benefit to buying from S4F.

Looking at Profeet's website, it looks like they will only do tweaks in their own store, with a receipt etc. Doesn't seem much use if you live in Dublin.
snow report
@Ammo, if you need tweaks, getting fitted in London wouldn’t be ideal.
Hubert in S&R (assuming he’s still there) is a very good boot fitter, fitted my own and 2 others from my group last year after I got alot of recommendations online. He’s also skied at a high level himself and you can book specifically for him.
I don’t think the snow dome for a few hours will tell you much, they’ll be a bit uncomfortable at the start
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
@Pruman, h there are a number of factors that can change
socks: is the customer wearing the same thickness as at the time of fitting
clipping up: are the boots being done up correctly, upper buckles first and tight,then flexxing a few times then lower clips loosely
the ski: is the binding delta affecting the position of the skier
flexibility: whilst taken into account at the time of fitting this is the responsibility of the individual to stretch, foam roll and do what is needed to give mobility
fitness: the boots get dragged out for a couple of weeks a year (maybe more for the lucky people) whilst the rest of the year they are sat at a desk or in the car and are generally not fit enough to go skiing... its a sport
technique: this is the biggy and nobody wants to admit that they are not as good as they think they are

Just going to quote this bit so that I can find it again. I've been skiing (on and off) since I was three and I've not had someone point out the right way to buckle up boots before. Sounds good and I need to remember to try it!

cheers.
ski holidays
Sorry - probably been asked a hundred times, but does anyone have some good recommendations for boot fitters? Want to get the other (and better skier half) some fitted boots for Xmas for his hobbit feet and not sure where to start. I've heard horrendous things about Snow and Rock. We are based in Essex and work in London... but happy to travel for the right service.
snow report
In the glorious south you can try thewse, I've had good experiances with all at various times.
Solutions for feet in Bicester.
Profeet in Fulham
Bartletts in Hayes
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
In the glorious south you can try thewse, I've had good experiances with all at various times.
Solutions for feet in Bicester.
Profeet in Fulham
Bartletts in Hayes

Thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
Profeet
ski holidays
I'm thinking about getting my first set of boots, what should I be looking for? The first post of this thread looks like it used to have a nice guide for someone like me, but I'm not holding my breath for the update given it was last edited in 2009!

I'm based in Brighton. I know we have a Snow & Rock who do boot fitting. We also have a Mountain Warehouse and Trespass, but I don't think either of them offer boot fitting. We used to have an independent (Surf & Ski), but that's now a pizza restaurant. The first time I'll use them is on the pre season bash in Tignes, am I better picking something up there or will I pay way over the odds by doing that?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thelem wrote:
I'm thinking about getting my first set of boots, what should I be looking for? The first post of this thread looks like it used to have a nice guide for someone like me, but I'm not holding my breath for the update given it was last edited in 2009!

I'm based in Brighton. I know we have a Snow & Rock who do boot fitting. We also have a Mountain Warehouse and Trespass, but I don't think either of them offer boot fitting. We used to have an independent (Surf & Ski), but that's now a pizza restaurant. The first time I'll use them is on the pre season bash in Tignes, am I better picking something up there or will I pay way over the odds by doing that?

Going to JoJo in Nevada Sports (Lac), is certainly a decent option....and adjustments can be made during your stay, if necessary. I didn't find him expensive to use.

Address: Résidence Le Lac, Rue de la Poste, 73320 Tignes,
Phone: +33 4 79 24 10 36

Across the road, there is also Jean-Charles at Ski Fast.
snow report
Hello everyone,

I am going to Finches Emporium in London to buy my first pair of ski boots, anyone has bought from them? What is it like and who should I ask for?

Many thanks.
snow report
Looks like if you live in Sussex you have limited choice unless travelling into London or beyond. I'll try in resort: any recommendations in Arc 1950 or Val Thorens?
ski holidays
thelem wrote:

Sorry to hear that Surf and Ski have closed, as that's where I bought my very first pair of (rear entry) boots. Snowlab at Knockhatch in Hailsham (https://www.snowlab.co.uk/) have been good in the past. My current pair came from Captains Cabin in Sevenoaks (https://www.theski-shop.co.uk) - also very good. Both not too far from Brighton.
snow report
Snow and rock chill factore have excellent boot fitters, fly to Manchester, get boots, ski on them, have them adjusted if necessary, fly home
snow conditions
I have a friend who just moved to Manchester... that might just be a plan. Thanks.
latest report
@LEOMACK, in the Manchester area best fitter is Graham at Rivington Alpine in chorley
snow report
Thanks
snow report
@EjBa id have to disagree that snow and rock in manchester have excellent boot fitters, they sold my wife boots 2 sizes too big for her, following year she took them back for adjustment all they did was chuck a superfeet insole in and told her thats all they could do, this year we went to see Graham at rivington alpine an altogether better experience and highly recommended
latest report
Question. I have K2 spynes with an intuition liner, the boots are actually only a few years old. The normal procedure would be just get new liners when needed right? How often do people do this?
latest report
Bennisboy wrote:
Question. I have K2 spynes with an intuition liner, the boots are actually only a few years old. The normal procedure would be just get new liners when needed right? How often do people do this?

There are two things here:

The liners will compact and degrade over time. There are adjustments and inserts that can be made to counter this. And their functionality may slip. It's a really a question of what you do or can live with as to whether you go for a full replacement.

The plastic of the shell will degrade over time, lose it's structure, strenght. Also the soles will scuff and in particular the toe or heel. All of which can start to have performance issues and in the case of the heel/toe cause binding release issues.

The two above allign to some extent but not necessarily exactly. So it may be for example that you get new liners after 50-80 days skiing and then complete new boots after 100-160 days skiing. But also you may just do the latter.

I've just bought a new pair of boots. My old ones had done around 19/20 weeks of 6 through 8 full days each... so let's call it 140 days. I never replaced the inner. By that time I replaced them the tongues of the inners had split, some of the stitching was coming away in several places and the custom insoles were starting to split. The shell had some sort additional plastic 'runner' attached to the bottom and that was 'warped'. The heel and toe were pretty scuffed though I've seen worse. They were still 'useable' and if I was strapped for cash I could/would have carried on with them but generally speaking that were shagged.

There is an article here that discusses the above and a thread here along the same subject line.
snow report
To add to the ski-boots questions (I have searched, lots about heated liners but...)

Has anyone got/used heated ski boots? We're off boot shopping soon, first timers for buying, and of course I'll take what I'm given according to what the fitter thinks is best etc, but I've noticed they have Salomon boots with integral heated bits. I have a distrust of technology, and a feeling of 'what could possibly go wrong?' Any insights would be welcomed just in case these are the boots for me.

I do get very cold feet (rubbish circulation) so likely to be tempted...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy