Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Split boards, Burton or other?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I like to get out of the resort areas around Chamonix with my board, in the VB or sections of the Haute Route. I've been using snow shoes, but on glaciers they do leave you a little vunerable, and on steep traverses, they can be hard work. Has anyone got any experience of using a split board? Recommendations? Thanks, Guy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heard that the split boards are

1. Not that sturdy.
2. a lot wider than the narrow tracks left by skis on a traverse so a lot of work. (The split is a zig zag so each half is much wider than skis)
3. ruddy expensive.

I don't board but the only boarders I have seen on difficult approach terrain have been on very short skis (look a bit like saw off skis) carrying the board on their back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:

I don't board but the only boarders I have seen on difficult approach terrain have been on very short skis (look a bit like saw off skis) carrying the board on their back.

They'll be approach ski's, see http://www.pistehors.com/articles/backcountry-snowboarding/approach-skis.htm
(never used either them or a split board myself mind)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a good book called Backcountry Boarding by a US doctor called Christopher...... Amazon it.

It's about five years old but is a good overview of things backcountry. He and his gang ride split boards and have lots of pics of them. He's in the NW of the US so tends to skin up volcanic peaks and ride down. The snow seems to mostly firm stuff as opposed to sheer ice or deep powder.

I guess its an equation. Split board if there is a long hike in and the snow isn't waist deep.

K2 used to do a 90cm approachski with their Clicker binding on it. THe perfect solution. But I don't think they ever imported it to EU. Always hankered after a pair!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the links. I've tried snow shoes and I have some access skis. They are just so heavy, and then when you get near the top of the col and you have to carry board and skis, while you climb the last few meters in crampons, it's a real killer. I think I'll get the s165 Burton, anyone used one?

http://www.alpinebeds.co.uk/studio1grepon/index.html[/url]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy