Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Alan Craggs, very clever, and you managed to fool Ian H!.
This is of course the new chairlift at at Scott Base in Antarctica, replacing the old tow rope .
(Val Thorens is much bleaker).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Hopkinson wrote:

The link over to Orelle involves a bit of a walk back

Not when I did it! Started shuffling uphill through that little gully when the wind got up from behind. I just spread my arms out and I shot uphill, slaloming around those poor sods tying to ski down against the wind towards Orelle Very Happy

OK, then I cheated further & nipped off down the black rather than going back to the blue.

You mentioned Bar de la Marine. I guess you went to the self service area. The restaurant area is worthwhile for a long lunch (esp when it's raining), proper food, proper table service, and, if you are so inclined, the most expensive wine I have ever seen on a menu - €795. This was 2 years ago, about £500 at the time. We went for a slightly more modest Cote du Rhone.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the best things about Val Thorens is the fabulous ski over to my most favourite restaurant on any mountain ever - the Cap Horn above Courchevel 1850. A lovely (not cheap) long lunch where even the waiters and waitresses look like models, and then another good run back to Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I so agree about the Cap Horn. The waiters cruise about in white tracksuits with shades and are really friendly. It's 1850 prices of course, but we shared a massive Moules Frites for €15 and it is a great setting just above the Altiport. An experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here are some piccies from our little trip, featuring a number of snowHeads, sorry about the quality - they are from a single use camera, scanned in by Boots during processing...

Pictures from Val Thorens
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice shots, the quality's fine. Any more to come?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian Hopkinson, Great pickies. I forgive you for the ghastly pic of me coz you have got Tom in typical pose!
As PG says: we want more! (My camera caput Sad )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do have a whole pile more from my disposable and my digital camera, but I didn't want to bore snowHeads with endless snaps or put up less flattering ones of myself or Mrs H - actually I'm already in trouble for the one of Mrs H Shocked ! I'll see if I can rummage out some more this evening...

I got some fine ones of an Alpine Chough which decided to hop around on our balcony on the last day.

I should have got one of PG and family, but there you go...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:
I should have got one of PG and family, but there you go

That's what I was worried about.... Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Cap Horn is wonderful, but when we went it was too early to eat. Still, sat outside in the sun with a few nice drinks Very Happy
Anyone been to the Bel Air at 1650? Went there and was tempted by something called an Iceberg (or poss Island).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've added a couple more photos to the set above...these two off the digital camera...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you go down to Val T today, you're sure of a wonderful time
And those that think that the season is over are in for a big surprise
For the temperatures low and snows pouring down:
Nearly a metre this coming weekend
So now's the time the clever skier has his last trip.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wonder how much pf VT they plan to open next week? There's been some light snow up at VD today, not a great deal, and very windy (south-easterlies)... but might give Espace Killy a go tomorrow, then head for VT on Monday for a final fix.... Never eaten at the 'Cap Horn', after all the excellent reports, I'm tempted!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAVID F - mmm, the Bel Air, my favourite restaurant this season ... maybe you are thinking of the 'ile flottante', meringuey things floating in a sea of creme anglaise? - look very yummy directly in vision as you walk through the door - never got that far though!
Cap Horn - have only ever had dreadful food and service there although I appreciate that's at odds with its reputation. On which subject, there is an apocryphal tale of the Russian mafiosi whose girlfriends, after a long and liquid lunch, entertained the punters by performing an impromptu striptease ... Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
poma, Shocked that swings it for me, to hell with the food.... photos to follow Monday night.....
snow conditions
PG, use your phone to take the pickies and you hopefully wont be spotted. Taking pickies of naked Russian mafiosi molls may result in removal of one or two body parts.
ski holidays
Jonpim, true, the telephoto lens might be a bit of a giveaway.... maybe if I claimed to be the latest Chelsea signing....

(Yeah ok, still, I don't have to say what as, do I)

(I nearly wrote that under some circumstances I would be quite prepared to donate a body part, but.... Wink )
snow report
http://www.pistehors.com/comments/A227_0_1_0_C/

Interesting, I hadn't read this before going, but 'Dutch Week' (final week of season) certainly sums it up. A bar owner I spoke to suggested the Dutch weren't the most extravagant of visitors!.... The marquee next to the 'front de neige' was heaving with bodies, a Dutch group playing every night, drinks were flowing freely, and no doubt cheaply, compared to local bar prices (I couldn't get served because I didn't have any 'tickets', whatever they are, possibly provided by the TO). Though who can blame them, at least this way people who might not otherwise be able to afford a skiing holiday get to spend their week on the snow...

The Dutch boarders on the slopes seemed to greatly outnumber the skiers... never noticed this before.... impressed by their standard of skiing/boarding, seemed to be few beginners...

Hwever not impressed by the hotel, poor service, freezing cold, then radiator turns itself on (no adjustment valve, no way of turning it off) in the middle of the night and I woke up in what felt like a sauna. Wanted to pay my bill at 7.40 but "c'est pas possible", receptionist didn't start work until 8. Asked to leave a couple of bags in reception, "pas possible". Attitude problem, wouldn't go back again (les 3 Vallées***).
snow conditions
PG, maybe you stayed at wrong hotel. IanH I think found his OK, and other friends at 3Valleys Hotel also impressed.
ski holidays
It might just have been an end of season thing, they seemed to be a bit understaffed .... still, it's the first time I've come across a radiator you can't turn on or off! Once stayed in a hotel in Les Orres on the first day of the season, the heating refused to come back on after the summer break... (the Hotel 'Ancolie'). But they went out of their way to make up for the inconvenience. I'd recommend it, ideal place to stay in Les Orres, right on the 'front de neige', owners from Calais if I remember right. (Today's useless bit of information snowHead ).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy