Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newby winter clothing guide (for the tight-fisted)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know if you can get Decathalon (Quechua) stuff online or mail order, as it's about a 2.5 hour drive to my nearest store!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is quite a decent web-site but they don't seem to do on-line orders. I suspect Sheffield is your nearest shop.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/autres-rubriques-v2/homepage-stores/index.html

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marmalade, They used to do mail order I recall, but stopped a few years ago. If you ever get to London there is a very good store at Canada Waters in Dockland. I quite often go there if I am in London for work. Even better if you get the chance their French stores are usually cheaper and everywhere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Bish, Yeah I think you're right but from where we are it would probably be quicker to fly to France! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marmalade, I'm going to the Nottm store this Sat. If you know what you want I'd be happy to get it & mail it to you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For cheapish kit, including thermals, how about http://www.skiwear4less.com, were selling Blizzard sets last year for a reasonable price.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very Happy Got a load of great merino gear at very good prices from these people: www.chocolatefishmerino.com All made in New Zealand and cheaper than anyone else's for the same quality. I found out a long time ago that for me at least synthetics don't work. They stink and they don't feel good. Merino gear also seems to last me longer. Some of my stuff I've had for 3 years now and it's still good to go, so it probably works out cheaper in the long run. Howies http://www.howies.co.uk/ also do some nice stuff, if a bit more expensive, but also New Zealand-made, not like Icebreaker who get their stuff made in China (pollution, human rights abuses - no thanks).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CB, cannot see that the womens stuff has the side inserts and gussets that make icebreaker such a great fit though.... a "flat cut" works less well... it is why I've ditched Ecoridge despite liking their philosophy.... Simply does not work as well as the Icebreaker cuts when you are active.... Guys stuff may be less of an issue... but girls baselayers it makes a huge difference
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought two 100% merino wool jumpers in Tesco last week £ 18 each Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
II, it is not the "merino" bit that makes them good (although merino is pretty good stuff)... merino is just a cross bred sheep with some of a certain breed in him.... It is the "superfine" part that makes it work for wicking.... In Oz and Kiwiland those "fine" and "superfine" etc are well defined wool grading... has to meet certain micron sizes on the fibres etc etc etc (OK I did not study wool grading just know the idea from those that did)...

I think I posted all this before btw... with links to info on this...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slightly O.T., why do some posts such as this one "overrun" the right-hand edge of the screen? Is it something to do with the setup of my web browsers (it happens in IE and Firefox) or to do with the way the post has been typed in?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Clive wrote:
Slightly O.T., why do some posts such as this one "overrun" the right-hand edge of the screen? Is it something to do with the setup of my web browsers (it happens in IE and Firefox) or to do with the way the post has been typed in?

There was an URL with a very long address in one of the posts on page 1 (I've changed it now so the page should display normally again), some browsers display these as a single 'word' rather than wrapping them across multiple lines. Posts with large images in them suffer from the same effect. When this happens the browser window 'overruns' to fit it in, meaning you have to scroll the screen across to read the posts.

It can be avoided by either using something like www.tinyurl.com or by using the URL tags in the reply box and giving the link a shorter name.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger wrote:
II, it is not the "merino" bit that makes them good (although merino is pretty good stuff)... merino is just a cross bred sheep with some of a certain breed in him.... It is the "superfine" part that makes it work for wicking.... In Oz and Kiwiland those "fine" and "superfine" etc are well defined wool grading... has to meet certain micron sizes on the fibres etc etc etc (OK I did not study wool grading just know the idea from those that did)...

I think I posted all this before btw... with links to info on this...

These are "extra fine"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II, that is well done then.... I just get annoyed when people say "the merino stuff was scratchy"... yeah it was NOT superfine... could be carpet grade and still be merino!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
II, but that is not a merino grade is it??

* < 17.5 - Ultrafine merino
* 17.6-18.5 - Superfine merino
* < 19.5 - Fine merino
* 19.6-20.5 - Fine medium merino
* 20.6-22.5 - Medium merino
* 22.6 < - Strong merino [4]
ski holidays
little tiger, I can only tell you what it says on the lable "Extra Fine Merino" It does feel very soft however and I am pleased with them Smile
ski holidays
II, ah... maybe italian? I think they sometimes label like that... maybe a translation thing... or they just use other classing ... wracking brain trying to remember... I seem to recall seeing labelling like that before... I think I'm getting alzheimers...
latest report
[quote="little tiger"][b]CB[/b], cannot see that the womens stuff has the side inserts and gussets that make icebreaker such a great fit though.... a "flat cut" works less well... it is why I've ditched Ecoridge despite liking their philosophy.... Simply does not work as well as the Icebreaker cuts when you are active.... Guys stuff may be less of an issue... but girls baselayers it makes a huge difference[/quote]

Well I'm female with definite curves and I don't find a huge difference in fit. Merino has loads of natural elasticity, so all these inserts and stuff don't make that much difference. In fact the extra stitiching involved can defeat the object. Howies stuff is nice, but more basic in cut that the Choc Fish. I've just bought one of the CF Taranaki zipnecks and it fits really well.
snow report
CB, as noted in previous threads I have tried a few different brands(including australian) as has my friend's wife. Friend owns an outdoor gear store... The result of testing by her,me, and a bunch of other friends means he is still getting the Icebreaker although we would prefer to support the Australian wool industry or companies like Ecoridge that use more natural dyes etc...

None of us are a similar build... all of us girls find the Icebreaker stays put better when active... which is important for backcountry skiers, climbers, paddlers, etc

As I said - I love the feel of my Ecoridge... but it just does not measure up on cut... Ditto on "unisex" it is great.. if you are a guy... (now I'm a 10-DD cup and his wife would be a B-C but with broad shoulders and still a defined waist)

I've been wearing this (Icebreaker) stuff for 10 years now and I am happy to try anything on... so far Icebreaker has the better cut of what I've tried... The "trendy" T-shirt type tops the cut does not matter and I'd buy anything... but for a bodyfit thermal top especially long sleeved I'll stick to the Icebreaker... the price is not huge factor as I have worn the current crop for 10 years in both seasons for many different reasons... so they have been worth the money... Have picked some up at 30 or so US dollars IIRC... Just have to keep an eye out year round rather than shop at start of ski season

Enjoy the Merino - I have loved every garment of superfine merino I have ever owned... and besides we are exporting more of it than anyone else - so you are supporting our economy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5238
latest report
Don't be a ski snob. Get yourself down to TK Maxx and grab a high quality last season bargain. I paid £170 for a Rossignol Jacket and Pants both Goretex XCR. I have seen what looks to me the identical kit in Snow and Rock for over £500, I will be wearing this for years, it looks good even on me. Use Merino Smart wool socks though they are pricey but well worth it.

If you have Kids in Kindergarten, get some disposable hand warmers to keep them warm, happy kids = happy holiday.
snow report
great discussion anyone shop Harriton Ladies Clothing i like to now about there quality
ski holidays
Check out M & M Direct (internet only ) - gore tex berghaus salopettes for £69 , Phoenix gore - tex gloves for under £20 , loads more jackets ,etc . Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
KIDS -

we get all-in-one style fleece pyjamas., cut off the feet, then use these over baselayer under the ski suit for our young kids.
we found just wearing base layer, fleecy jumpers and skisuit they still got pretty cold especially on the legs, but having an extra leg layer (that didn't bunch up around the waist like tracksuit trousers would) has really helped them.
snow report
charlesclemens, welcome to snowHead
latest report
Anyone in this area looking for stuff for kids might like to know that Filarinski in Havant have some very good ex hire bits and pieces for £10. Some excellent looking (Colombia) jackets for 6 - 8 year olds, for example. I bought a pair of Colombia trousers for £10. Other places which hire out gear might be worth looking at too. Or indeed, for a once-week a year child, hiring probably makes more sense than buying.
snow report
Hi, and cheers! This is all really useful- just had a nice spree in TKMaxx. Smile
snow report
jackflaps, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You're lucky; they had a right load of old tat in TKM in Waterlooville today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just wondering, what are your views on http://www.mountainwarehouse.com ?
It is cheap and in my opinion they have good value for money. Any other thoughts?
ski holidays
as regards to clothing on a budget for newbies, plus with chidren in mind. I would say give anything with the word gortex on it a miss. It`s really overpriced and is no guarantee of the general quality of other aspects of the garment.

after a while these expensive clothing loses its breathability and water shedding properties and becomes what i call spongetex.

aldi, lidl and tk maxx do good budget ski clothing for newbies and children.
Smile
snow conditions
Masque, I've got a pair of modal jeans I bought about 15 - 20 years ago. Italian I think. Dark grey and very light... I used to wear them clubbing as you could dance all night without getting totally damp as with denim.
ski holidays
Was in a small Tchibo today, and they are selling ski gear at fantastic prices. In particular, men's jackets, saw a really good one, couldn't fault it really, insulated, breathable, everything you could want, £33!! But despite my eldest growing taller by the minute, the XL was just too big Sad

Every cloud has a silver lining...... went into Millets, saw a Peak jacket that said teenager immediately jumped on "Forget it I said, Peak? You're joking!"
But, half price at £107? I agreed to go halves. Then noticed grubby marks on white bits under arms which duly pointed out to very nice manager. We both agreed it had been worn (was bought in Blacks and apparently brought back as "didn't fit" - yeah right, some people rolling eyes ). Anyway the very nice manager gave me another 15% off and the jacket is now being tech washed. Result Very Happy

Anyway it looks like there are bargains to be had at the mo, and I only went into town to buy something for supper tonight.
latest report
Excellent advice and really well informed - thank you! Confirms the adage that £££ does not necessarily equal best quality and much can be done on a budget. I would also suggest that a gator/ turtle fur/ neck warmer is essential - easy to store/ cheap and as we have found sooo warm when it drops below -10 on chairs in Canada/ USA. I had a brilliant windstopper one but left it somewhere when out on motorbike - damn! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Ski clothing is cheaper out of season. Therefore try to plan ahead.
snow conditions
Since this review is for the tight fisted, if anyone is down South, drop by Bicester Village (Retail Outlet, Junction 9, M40). There is a Helly Hensen Outlet Shop that sells top gear at silly prices, especially over the summer. There's also another outlet in Wales. Time and time again I see people rushing to the ski warehouse sales, buying very cheap outerwear, which would be hard pushed to keep anything dry and it goads me when Bicester is only another 10 mins drive where you can buy 10,000, 10,000 waterproof / breathability at the same price or cheaper than what's being offered at these sales.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Nice one Masque, although you could add in the introduction how most of the body's heat is lost through the head, so a helmet (or, if you must, a hat) is essential to keep the rest of your body warm.

I believed that for all my life untill I read some thing that said it was an old wives tale.
I still think your warmer with a hat though.
snow report
Am I the only person here that's not incredibly impressed with Icebreaker? Skied last week in a 260 and it didn't seem to want to breathe/wick much at all, usually ending up very damp. My Polartec 100 top felt much dryer after similar exertions and my longsleeve Canterbury Cold baselayer performed absolutely superbly on hotter days as the sole layer under my Arc'teryx Gore-tex hard shell.
snow report
Quote:

It deserves a note of its own as it's the biggest radiator of heat on your body, about 30% of your body heat can be lost through the head

The heat loss from the head is only 7%- 10% if the head is insulated the same as the rest of the body or if the individual is naked. The often quoted 30% to 50% only applies if the person has good quality clothing, boots, gloves etc and nothing on the head.
Quote:

a certain unmentioned company consisting of "48 stores spread across Australia, New Zealand & the United Kingdom"

A great example of the difference between travel clothes marketed as outdoor wear and the real stuff.
latest report
There's a whole range of cheap(ish) beginner stuff from Trespass which looks good for the money - all the waterproofing and breathability stats seem to be listed on here: www.campingworld.co.uk

Looks like a relatively new ski store but I've used them for camping bits for years and they've always been good. They've got a store near me in Surrey too.

Hit the slopes! Toofy Grin
latest report
There is a lot of Trespass stuff being sold at Kempton Park Market (near M3 Junction 1). One trader has boxes and boxes of clothes etc, all at very cheap prices. I got 3 Trespass summer shirts a few weeks back for £5 (as best I remember, but it may have been £10). Yesterday he has masses of Trespass jackets in many colours and styles.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy