Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newby winter clothing guide (for the tight-fisted)

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps add http://www.skiwear4less.com to your list? Great ski gear at cheap prices!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20091116.index.ar11

Mostly cheap carp but maybe a few nuggets to be had for the first timer/kids.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another source of cheapness is http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ski-snowboard-842891/
French ? store with several across UK now,had a look today and there are some decent items for beginner and the more experienced alike.
Way better than any of the Lidl/Aldi tat but maybe lacking the big name branding for some.
Worth a look. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was in a Decathlon in Boulogne last Thursday. Entry-level ski jackets 40 Euros. No big-name cachet but if you're just trying this skiing lark for the first time...
Also if you (or someone you know) has a Makro card you can Trespass jacket and pants for £50 the set.
Call me cheapskate Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
found this site who seem to do discounted ski clothes. www.mandmdirect.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found this one that has a load of really cheap ski clothing deals - especially some of the packages, jacket pants and baselayers from around £70 the lot. http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aldis annual offering.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week53Sunday09.htm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If Aldi are running true to form there will be a few more loads of ski stuff on special over the next few weeks, and MandM are one of my favorite online stores. Nothing wrong with Aldi/Lidl stuff if you aren't to bothered about the brand names.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just wanted to say thanks so much for this guide - it's been incredibly useful as I have my first winter holiday coming up. I was a bit apprehensive about having the right clothing but this thread has really helped me sort it all out.

In fact I've just got back from Aldi having picked up a couple of the merino base layers - bargain-tastic Smile I also grabbed a couple of the goggles - wasn't sure about the light / dark lenses but for £8.99 i thought it was worth trying both.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just picked up some Aldi Merino wool ong johns and top. Seem as well made as any merino base layer kit I've ever looked at and at £14.99 an item way cheaper than any others I've looked at. Ended up buying a top marked as ladies as I wanted long sleeves and other than sleeve length I couldn't see any difference in the cut in the tops, mens short sleeves ladies long sleeved.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davkt wrote:
Just picked up some Aldi Merino wool ong johns and top ... other than sleeve length I couldn't see any difference in the cut in the tops, mens short sleeves ladies long sleeved.
Hmm, should have looked at that! I may well get one of the long sleeved tops then. Was the sizing consistent in both too?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got merino wool thermals last year and they work great.
Boots were also a good buy this year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is size in inches as well as ladies 10, 12, 14 etc size printed in the tops so I just picked up the right one based on that, think in general from Aldi for a given item of X chest/waist size the S M L etc sizing will show one two lower for mens than ladies, eg mens M = Ladies L or occasionally XL.
Looking at the piccie on the web the neck hole might be a bit bigger on the long sleeve top but feels fine on.
Oh and anyone looking for snowboots either M and M direct or TK Maxx (in Derby at least) are selling some rather nice Karrimor snowboots, MandM about £40 mens £25 ladies TK Maxx £30 ish
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As somone coming back to skiing after over 10 years, thank to all you guys who have posted stuff up. It has really help me make a list. I will be using some of my motorbike gear in Canada, after all!

Cheers

Billy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some nice base layers here at Tog24 £35 reduced to a £10'er.

Pete
latest report
www.boardridersguide.com www.trekwear.co.uk
ski holidays
Thanks alot for the guide Smile
snow report
Quote:

I got merino wool thermals last year and they work great.

Best Merino base layer on the market are also one of the best value - ChocolateFish Merino (http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk). We're using them for our Antarctic effort and for all training in Norway and Greenland.
latest report
Hey yall, great post and informative replies! nice to see we are looking out for the newbies out there : ) also wanted to add that if you are new to snow sports, its a good thing to look for a coat with a powder skirt- this stops the snow from spraying up into the jacket when you fall, which happens to the best of us! It normally has a draw string to tighten when you ski, which makes a tighter fit around your body. Some are detachable through the use of a zipper. If you are new to skiing, make sure the jacket has a skirt! For all the ladies on the slopes, newbies and pros, check out this site to find to find the perfect jacket, its got stuff from Burton, Columbia, Spyder and more
snow report
Quote:

also wanted to add that if you are new to snow sports, its a good thing to look for a coat with a powder skirt- this stops the snow from spraying up into the jacket when you fall,

A fart-bag has the same results Toofy Grin
snow conditions
This site has some good deals on ski wear: http://www.chelstondirect.com/ski-gear/
ski holidays
Costo have more ski gear in, jackets and trousers, Mrs R just bought some shocking pink ones.
ski holidays
It may be just me but last season I thought I would upgrade myself from the basic Decathlon salopettes (as they had become a bit too tight!) and bought some Trespass Protekt ones from Costco. I had to return the first pair I bought as the stiching was messed up on the inside lining of one leg (Costco doesn't have a fitting room).

I should have taken notice of the early warnings that all was not well. Firstly, the tag proudly stated WATERPROOF! WINDPROOF! but did not mention anything about BREATHABILITY. When I happily took my lovely new pair to Hemel for a lesson with Insideoutskiing I noticed that they also felt very damp with condensation inside. I persisted with this pair as I thought it was the inside condition. Unfortunately I found they were still the same on the slopes and it was a real pleasure to take them off as soon as possible (no pun intended Toofy Grin !)

So my advice is to make sure the Trespass tag does state all the functionality that you want. This Protekt tag also had a 3 star rating although I have no idea how the scale works. I did notice skimottaret sporting a rather spiffy pair of Columbia Titaniums so I might have to "upgrade" myself again! NehNeh
ski holidays
streaky, for about £23 I don't know if I would consider them an upgrade wink
snow conditions
My Decathlon pants were 8.99 special offer Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I was wondering if I understand about the jacket advice part.

So one way to go is have a soft shell (to wear if warm) and to combine that with a hard shell (if very cold).

When I am looking for a soft shell, I guess it needs to be wind and water proof but should it have the most insulation?

Then with the hard shell, do we want it insulated at all? or just an extra layer to protect from the stronger wind and cold?
snow conditions
Masque, you are very informative! Another good source for winter sports tech stuff at good prices is www.twoseasons.co.uk. As well as ski and snowboard hardware they have a range of 2S tech fleeces from £5 right up to quality Icebreaker base layers which are hard to beat if you are willing to part with a bit of cash. Thanks Masque!
snow report
TK Maxx have got Sinner Goggles for £19 and various Trespass trousers in, going back for a poke around at lunchtime - some of the girls colours are horrific, shocking pink and all sorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mens Fat Face ski jacket Aspen green shell £190 down to £45 in on-line sale, all sizes, and also Telluride ski pants £100 down to £25 size small - brilliant bargain ski gear, well worth a buy. Not needed by myself but if I was in the market I'd be kitting myself out for £70!!
snow report
Aldi ski stuff in tomorrow

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week52Monday10.htm

All good kit but the merino base layer in particular is fantastic value
snow report
Aldi kids ski stuff in today http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week01Sunday11.htm gloves and snowboots were going fast when I went in to get Sophie, my 15 1/2 year old daughter, some of the kids merino thermals (£9.99 an item) but at least the Buxton branch had loads of all the offers in. Oh and Soph is normally a size 6 or 8 but the age 13-14 thermals are fine (guess the size is based on 14YO boy!) so possibly a bargain there for some of the more petite lady snowHeads

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-01-11 14:57; edited 2 times in total
latest report
wiggle.co.uk have some good merino base layers.
ski holidays
As this thread is rather an old one, there are possibly some websites on here which are long gone, Tchibo sadly being one of them (we have several pairs of socks which are still going strong).
ski holidays
I think a combination of Sport Pursuit, TK Maxx and UniQlo covers most thing nowadays on the cheap ski list.
snow report
Along with Aldi (when the offer appears) and Lidl (ski gear in today)
snow conditions
Picked up a fab billabong jacket down from 140quid to35. Also picked up some bargain pieces on sports direct.com last year.
snow conditions
Ebay is always worth a look, especially if you've already tried the item on for size in a shop first. I managed to get some North Face Monte Ski Pants that were virtually brand new for £25. Some of the outlet stores occasionally have good bargains too. Cheshire Oaks outlet village has Columbia (sic?), North Face, Oakley, Vans, Helly Hansen etc for much cheaper than rrp. I got some A frame goggles 50% off from the Oakley outlet there.
snow report
Any good offers around for jackets and pants, the good ones are slightly too expensive, so trying to find a jacket for around £50
latest report
sn00boarder, have you had a look at tkmaxx?

http://www.tkmaxx.com/sportswear/mens-ski-wear/icat/3101
snow conditions
MeMyselfandI, none in my size, went to my local tk maxx, and they hardly had anything.

On a side note are nevica a good brand?, seems to be some jackets at sport direct.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy