Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Based on Physicsman's calculations for my optimum ski width, I reckon that due to my ever incresing girth, my skis need to increase in girth a bit too for the coming season, especially as I hope to spend a lot more time skiing the backcountry, etc.
I have a few skis in mind to try out including; pocket rockets, rossi scratch BC's, and K2 Seth Pistols (mainly because I like the bases!). Are there any others I should be ading to my demo list? I already have some pisty skis (Atomic SX9s) and general purpose go anywhere skis (1080s), so they don't need to be "all-mountain" ones
Also what's the deal with freeride bindings? I kind of like the idea, as it would seem slightly better than the things you clip in your normal bindings for climbing then take off for decending (saves having to find space for them - they look pretty chunky!). Do freeride bindings work as well as normal bindings on the way down, the ones I have seen look far less sophisticated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stuart, you could try Dynstar Intuitiv Bigs, definitely skis for power days, all too infrequent unfortunately. This season I want to try some Zag skis, they are made by some guys in Bourg St Maurice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
>...Based on Physicsman's calculations for my optimum ski width...

As I said in my response to Maggi in my post of Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:40 am in the thread, http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2166&postdays=0&postorder=asc ,

...don't forget that while my little table may tell you that you get the same float on (approx) 58 mm skis that a 180 lb-er would get on 87 mm skis, you may actually prefer even more float (or less) than that. ...

In other words, my table doesn't give you an optimum, it just gives you a set of equivalent float situations. You have to determine what's the optimum float for yourself. Towards this end, don't forget that I just showed one table as an example of the concept. There are an infinite set of these tables, essentially one for every combination of width and weight, and each gives equivalences to that particular starting combination of width and weight.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For an advanced intermediate these are my favourites,
For all round play on groomed piste and fringe of piste it has got to be the 1080's
Off piste and deep powder PR's
High speed, hard pack or ice Atomic Skiercross

But if I had to buy 1 set (which I wouldn't) it would be scream 10s or 1080's. Two totally different skis but I do love them both
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ditto that.

I've got a set of (old) X-screams and a set of PRs. The Screams are good for pretty much everthing but you virtually have to go off-piste with the PRs 'cos they're cr*p on it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth, even off piste, a softer fatter ski can be unhappy breaking through crust. You are going to Whistler, yes? With that wet snow and those temperature oscillations, I'd look at Volkl Karmas and Atomic Sugar Daddies if you can find them. I just found bolide some older (2001) Explosivs with the longer crust breaker tips.

Hey, you might also like the new 1080 LAB. I just flexed the Candide Thovex model in the shop last night, much tighter and more direct than the 1080 - it might be time for those SX9s to go to the jumble? Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, Yep off to Whistler, I'll add those to my list to demo (there for quite a while so no problem trying them all! Cool )
Do the Salomon LAB skis actually find it into the shops, I thought they were kind of in-house experiments, or were you just lucky to find someone with them? I pressume the shape of the new 1080s hasn't changed much, just beefed up the spaceframe - think I'll still have to keep the SX9s for the gates snowHead
I'll just have to charter a plane to take all my rapidly expanding ski collection!! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth, it's the top racy shop for the area, and there they were, sitting in the line all orange and stuff, slightly narrower than the regular 1080s Shocked and in my size too, blast it all. Flex comparable to the Volkl 6*.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought the Fritschi Freerides last season and use them on my only pair of skis (voelkl v-pro with waist of 83mm) . I do mainly lift served off-piste skiing with the occassional hike or rare skin. the bindings work also well for on-piste skiing. so far I have had no pre-releases.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try Line "Motherships" friend of mine tested them and didnt want to give them back said they where a true all rounder.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bootneck, The Karhu Jak at 120/97/117 (180cm) is a stealth 'Mothership': www.telemarkdown.com has them for $cheap$.

(170cm gets you a 120/90/110 which barely has 100cm2 extra float than the 1080s in the nearest size; stuarth has 1080s already, proving you have to be careful in sizing these things)

Too bad I also want Tyrolia Fusion S12s to replace the Marker ones.

Edited for direct access.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 30-09-04 20:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That link wont work for me comprex dont want to look anyway trying to control my urge to buy more ski's just got some nordica beast's and quite happy with them but there is so much choice i cant help looking longingly at all the nice new shiny ones constantly trying to justify why i'll need 3 or 4 sets of ski's haven't got much willpower when it comes to skiing kit
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peccavi, bootneck, fixed now, so you can keep up with us gluttons. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy