Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski movies this autumn

Poster: A snowHead
As always, Warren Miller's latest ski movie - Storm (correction:Impact) - will tour the nation's cinemas this autumn, beginning 15 October.

Here's the info., with dates and venues, from the UK distributors Black Diamond

But there's also the new movie from Teton Gravity Research - Soul Purpose - which is being screened (only in London it seems) - at Electrowerkz in Islington - also starting 15 October, and then monthly dates through to March. That includes live bands, DJs and VJs, games, prizes etc. No price stated yet.

Check out Teton Gravity Europe and natives.co.uk for more info.

Do I detect some competition from these upstarts to the legend of Warren Miller? Probably best to see both movies!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-09-04 15:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
competition??!!!

the TGR films are always hands down better than the warren miller films...

lets be honest, his commerntary is only 'classic' for maybe one line per film, the rest is just annoying, and the skier usually moves off into some totally nonsensical scene that none of the audience is going to experience.

At least with the tgr films, its all about powder, steeps and just generally skiing which is much more realistic to most of the audience - albeit on a less "eXtreme!" scale....

I know the one I'm gonna see/buy.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David - Storm was last year's film. This year's is impact.

I shall watch as many as I can, either on the big screen (preferable, for the sheer experience) or on video / dvd / whatever I can get
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, nbt. I'd discovered it, and then went blank. 'Impact' is probably his weakest title to date - maybe that's the reason!

I heartily agree with JonL. Warren Miller should have been pensioned off 10 years ago as a commentator. I've a feeling it's remained a family business - that probably explains it. I think the films are still quite strong, although they always seem to just 'follow the money' in terms of where they go to film.

Maybe TGR's movie will prove to be a bit more independently motivated.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its not just where they go, but also what they film, that has the follow the money attitude.

tgr were filming in bulgaria in may - the miller film, if it gets outside of north america, will probly only be to st moritz or the like....

oh, and yes, it is still a family business so yes that probly is the reason!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ok - need to persuade the TGR people to get their asses out of London so the rest of us can see both!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They ride asses?

One scene from a WM film a couple of years back (American English translation - couple years) sticks in my mind - a bunch of skiers coming down a powder field (in the dark as I recall?) towards the camera - nothing special you may think, but yes, the camera guy was skiing backwards down the powder field with a large camera, shooting them coming towards him! Style snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like the TGR trailers and short clips I've seen, and I enjoyed "further" which I think was one of theirs.

I like the films made by Matchstick - "Ski Movie" 1,2 and 3 so far ahev all been excellent

Perhaps we should have a snowheads movie, beer and pizza night somewhere?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any chance any of them is coming to the Milan area too?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
p.s. have submitted a request for Bristol Warren Miller tickets - so nearer the time will see if anyone is up for a South West Snowheads meetup either before or after the show????
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd rather see a compilation of SnowHeads (SlushNuts) videos pulled together and sold on to support the site. If anyone's got some decent tape or digital I think there's enough expertise around this forum to turn this into an income stream for all our benefit.

So if you guys who are heading out this season keep this in mind when dragging out the digicam, who knows we may discover a budding WM.

I'll pay top dollar for a vid of DG eating snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No problem. I'm a vegetarian.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WM productions did try to retire Warren as commentator; the son did 2 of the seasonal movies, and at least one compilation video (Learn to ski better 2?).

Well, they brought him back; not sure it would survive as an institution without him.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Warren Smith's new movie, 'Snow's In the House 3' is being premiered in London just prior to the ski show.

Warren's team have also made a 40 min programme for Eurosport of the 'Saas Fee Ride' event that took place in July. I'll post the transmission dates/times when known.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Assuming you can't wait that long there is Aravis Action, the anti-extreme ski move. Filmed with every expense spared, hell we didn't even spring for a lift pass. Please note: no pin-heads were hurt filming this movie.
ski holidays
I just find all of these ski movies are so formulaic these days. Many of them are devoid of inspiration and ideas and novelty. It's simply a case of here's another big jump and let's act rad, man!

Regis Rolland and Apocalypse Snow-now there's a ski movie! Blizzard of Ahhs was another good 'un because it had a theme.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Assuming you can't wait that long there is Aravis Action, the anti-extreme ski move. Filmed with every expense spared, hell we didn't even spring for a lift pass. Please note: no pin-heads were hurt filming this movie.

Thank you!
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Thanks, nbt.
I've a feeling it's remained a family business

Maybe TGR's movie will prove to be a bit more independently motivated.

Warren Miller Entertainment is far from family owned. It was sold to Time Warner a number of years ago.

As far as TGR goes, if you want to see their movie in YOUR town, contact them. I don't know the details but they will work with you to set up a show if you have or can get a venue. This has been talked about on the TGR board recently. I don't know if this would hold true for Europe, but it might be worth a try. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 7-09-04 8:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
So why haven't Time Warner had the guts to tell the old boy his scripts and delivery are as tired as a dinosaur?
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
So why haven't Time Warner had the guts to tell the old boy his scripts and delivery are as tired as a dinosaur?

Maybe they are tired but it's obviously a formula that has worked for a long time. It makes them MONEY. Also, these films go for a wider audience than just a bunch a fanatics! snowHead What I like the least is the way over the top product placements. It's gotten really gross. When Warren turned it all over to his son things started going downhill (Laughing) in many respects. I still always go to his and any other films showing up in Bellingham, because I just HAVE to!
snow conditions
Trailers now available for download from this address

http://www.warrenmiller.com/wmiller/trailer/index.html

The "large" trailer is 22mb, so be careful. Looks good though. I shall be going to the Manchester screenin on Oct 15th
snow conditions
I'm not sure if we've plugged yet another ski movie for this autumn - Snow's in the House 3. Here's a quick description from the producers:

"The latest Freeriding, New School Ski and Snowboard Film by Warren Smith and Guido Perrini."

"A story of the evolution of Freeskiing and how it has reached it's modern day level. Also an insight into the resort of Verbier and how it helped the freeskiing movement. Historic footage and modern day action makes an awesome flick."

The Premiere is at Prince Charles Cinema, off Leicester Square, on 11 October.

snowHeads is going to need a full-time ski movie reviewer at this rate!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy