Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-trip exercise taper

Poster: A snowHead
I have been working pretty damn hard in the gym since around Christmas. I have been alternating a three way system of a session of aerobic (rowing, treadmill, cycling) for 30-45 minutes; a session of upper body weights and a session of legs and glutes. I have been pushing low weights, high reps. Core strength as been addressed three times per week also.

At what point do you taper off the effort prior to a given event?

I am away and will be skiing on Sunday afternoon. I have been working hard in the gym this week up til today but feel at some point I need to stop or at least go easy.

Anyone got any knowledge of tapering?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-02-07 18:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My plan would be to have 2 clear days without training before skiing and on my last gym session do some aerobic work but at a lower level than normal and a good stretching session.
This is based on listening to my body, I normally train every other day and if I have an extra day then I'm pretty fresh.
A more scientific tapering would be appropriate for something like running where you maybe build up to running 20 miles in the weeks before a marathon and then start to reduce then in the week or so before the race. With your 30 - 45 you probably don't find that you're too knackered from the last workout each time anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zebedee, okay fair comments. But why wouldnt you give yourself a flogging of a workout as you have 2 days to recover prior to hitting the slopes?

OR why wouldnt you do a light, light workout the day before you go, with a light workout the day before that and a proper workout 3 days prior. (does that make sense?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think that there's any real need to taper down your exercise prior to a skiing holiday. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, but I do turns. You don't. Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think runners start their taper about 3 weeks before, apparantly you don't lose your fitness that quick and the rest actually helps to improve your performance. The last few sessions that might try to squeeze in would have minimal effect on your fitness anyway compared to what you've done until now. If you give yourself the flogging wink then all you're really doing is depleting your energy stores. The light workouts would probably be ok but I'm not sure what benefit you'd get form it.

You've done the hard work, have a couple of days off, eat well and you'll be full of energy when you hit the slopes Smile I'm jealous. Smile

Anyway that's what I'd do, if you read up on it you'll find that you've already left it too late to start tapering because it's only a few days 'til you go.

Enjoy it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi wrote:

OR why wouldnt you do a light, light workout the day before you go, with a light workout the day before that and a proper workout 3 days prior. (does that make sense?

Certainly it makes sense if they're light aerobic workouts without much chance of muscle fiber damage. Combined with stretching, sounds like a plan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zebedee wrote:
The light workouts would probably be ok but I'm not sure what benefit you'd get form it.

Keep his muscles from deconditioning so that he doesn't have to go through elaborate slow-paced warmups to reach his previous fitness levels. The word is taper, not stop.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tapered right off the gym exercise during the two weeks before my holiday. The final week I just spent doing lots of fast walking up and down hill (trying to keep up with my dogs) and some "non over exerting" stretching. My reasoning is that it's stupid to risk ripping a muscle or damaging a knee just before going on a skiing holiday!

The walking keeps the legs, body and mind fit. The stretching keeps things flexible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The stretching keeps things flexible.

I always feel that's the most important of all, for most of us, but don't forget to stretch in the evenings, after you stop.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tapered off the gym exercise about 3 years ago, but I think that was a bit too early for my last skiing trip!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wouldn`t have thought tapering was necessary prior to skiing.

Marathoners taper (for 2-3 weeks) because they have spent 12-18 weeks (usually) in hard training. The body is knackered. The muscles are subject to micro-tear damage. The taper permits muscles to repair themselves and the body to fully restock with glycogen. Rested muscles and a full glycogen load is crucial when running 26 miles.

A number of studies indicate that the key to a good taper consists of reducing mileage but maintaining a fair degree of intensity.

A 1/2marathon probably requires a week`s taper. 10k and below no more than a few days.

Whislt you gym sessions sound hard, it is likely that you can recover in a couple of days.

Personally, I` d swop the gym sessions for a few trips to the pub.

Hav a good trip. All that core stability stuff sounds v useful.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
exercise Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled whats that Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beetle wrote:

Personally, I` d swop the gym sessions for a few trips to the pub.

I find that the reverse taper is required for pub trips as a skiing holiday approaches, you don't want to let yourself down when you're out there. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zebedee, Totally agree! It's not safe to go skiing after a big session that finishes at 4 am if you don't prepare first! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
zebedee, Definately taper up for the bar. This is a very much overlooked area for ski holiday training. Personal capacity must be increased everyday for 2 weeks prior to the trip. Just take the last day off to allow the liver a chance to consolidate its strength. To avoid appearing too 'girly' in the Apres bar I would suggest aiming to be able to effortlessly consume (at altitude) 8 - 10 pints of strong beer and a Jagermeister or Genepy shot with each before dinner and a further 6 pints after dinner (or more if no wine was taken with the meal). Effortlessy means that NO assistance is required to return to bed and you must still be at breakfast by 8am. This needs to be sustainable for an unbroken 7 night period. Laughing
latest report
beeryletcher, how did you choose your user name Puzzled ?
ski holidays
ianmacd, What? We have a choice? Mine was assigned to me due to behavioural issues NehNeh !
latest report
beeryletcher, I'm going in a week and a half, have I left it too late Puzzled And will a bigger session at the weekend make up for it?
ski holidays
zebedee, Might be too late for peak fitness, but any form of special training at the weekend will always be fun..enjoy snowHead
latest report
I've been using a new fitness instructor for last 6wks or so. His approach has been completely different to anyone I've used previously. His key focus has been as follows:

1) correct postural & soft tissue problems
2) build core strength
3) focus on key muscle groups (in line with imminent trip)
4) Add in cardio work (in last few weeks)

I'm definitely feeling the benefit in daily life - previous lower back probs all but gone, increased muscle tone/strength, greater flexibility etc but interested to know what others think about the lack of aerobic work.
snow report
If you have limited time for exercise then I suppose you have to prioritise. Starting off with good posture and core strength seems a fairly sensible approach, but ultimately you really would need to have started the plan sooner to get more cardio work in. Personally I would swtich 3 and 4 if I had to make a choice, but if you only do 30 minutes of cardio you should be able to do a few strength movements in the same workout.

The most important thing is that you've noticed the benefits, don't take too much notice of others who might say it is wrong.

At a physiological level the response to strength training begins later than endurance so there is at least some reason behind this approach.
latest report
beeryletcher, do you have any training dvds? I think there is a gap in the market for you, a more holistic approach which I think we can all learn something from.
snow report
martski, not yet, but what a fab idea. This could be the start of a very enjoyable new career Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy