Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Trappers in Sunshine Village, Banff. Sawyers Nook at Temple Lodge Lake Louise. Le Pi Mai, Frejus, Serre Chevalier. What's your favourite? and why?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-02-04 10:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Prefer a buttie and the chair lift. Maximum time on slopes.
But when I do go in to them, any I've been to in Italy and none in France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Taniere - half way down Face in Val D'isere.
With a crowd for the week who seemed to choose self service restaurants with 45min queues! Found this rest. early in the week - table service - great food - very friendly - nice house wine.... On the last day we skied all the way from Tignes to get back to it. Got up from "lunch" at 4.15 - after a steak and a bottle of wine - and I skied Face for the first time - and survived! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well done Jayne snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 18-02-04 10:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grindelwaldblick, also known as Stocki for some reason, at Wengen. Can only be reached by an off-piste run down the Lauberhorn (or by walking up). Great food and it's cheap, and never crowded.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm. Lots to chose from here. Perhaps my fave is the one at the end of the Sarenne run in Alpey Dee (Charvet?). Nice sit down with good food and wine after a long run down the back of Pic Blanc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd agree with markP. I prefer s/c where I can make my own sandwiches. After all, there's no skiing before the first lift (perfect time to plan out your routes for the day and make those sarnies) whereas once you're on the slope, you want to maximise your skiing time. Take a mars bar as well in case you hit that glucose low late afternoon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skip lunch when in French resorts - gives you a lovely quiet time on the pistes and especially late in the season often the best snow conditions of the day. Then I'm usually knackered by 3'ish so weather permitting I go into deck chair mode with a beer and a baguette so catch up on the carbs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I loved Chez Vrony in Zermatt so much I bought the t shirt all the waitresses were wearing! It is off a blue with lovely scenery and the Matterhorn in the distance. The restaurant is made up of small cosy sections, full of family memorabilia, artwork, photos and whacky decorations. The food is excellent and you need to book. Afterwards you continue down the blue to a old fashioned two man chair back up to the top. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The revolving restaurant at 11,000 feet in Saas Fee is stunning, just for the views. I also loved Masalm and Rossweldhutte in Saalbach/Hinterglemm. Great food, reasonable prices and fabulous sking both to and from each one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley - we're off to Zermatt in April - is it very expensive? guideline price for lunch?? ta
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brandegg Restaurant above Grindelwald, not the self service part at the front but the table service part in the rear, good food no rush and pleasant staff, guide prices 8 SFr for a bowl of soup, 15 Sfr for a big plate of sausage and rosti or chips, 0.5 litres of Apfelsaft 4.50 SFr, if you like a big lunch try the daily menu for excellent value for money e.g bowl of soup plus home made beef burger with chips and assorted veg for 19.50 SFr (menu changes every day and many of the local railway and piste workers come here for lunch which is a reccomendation in itself ).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The little lodge halfway down the hill at Kicking Horse - it's at the bottom of the top bowls and it's so easy to fly past and miss it. Must only seat 30 but when I was in there 2 saturdays ago they had a sushi chef and it was very reasonably priced! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talking about Kicking Horse, The Eagle's Eye Resturant, at the top of the gondola, above the aforementioned bowls. New building (obviously) good architecture, splendid views, good food, good wine, excellent service and very good value. Alcoholic lunch for 6 C$200 about £14.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter I know the US dollar has taken a bit of a mauling but I seriously doubt that £14 will buy you C$ 200 at the moment Confused
ski holidays
Er, I meant £14 per head Embarassed
ski holidays
The restaurant at the top of the Zephyr lift in Winter Park is good. They also do evening meals, when they replace a few of the chairs with gondolas, and you get to go up and down in a bit more comfort.
snow conditions
Jane, I didn't think so and it does all sorts from hearty bowls of soups to full blown meals, so you can have as much or as little as you want. Do try the plates of cheese and air dried meat though it's lovely. It is on the Sunnegga side and you take the blue down to Findeln. Their number is 027 967 25 52. Have fun! Very Happy

There is also a good Italian pizza place which I think is at Trockener Steg, go upstairs for waiter service, good pasta and pizzas. One more, there is a good one up the landtunnel train and I think you get off at Riffelalp, go along the flat bit to the smart hotel, past this and a little way down the blue on the right hand side is a really cosy restaurant.(can't remember name), but was good. Basically, Jayne, there are too many to mention!!
snow report
thanks Beverley - I've copies the details...
snow report
The one at the end of the traverse underb the Matterhorn (and blacks) at Zermatt, several in Courmayeur (esp. the ones at the top and bottom of the Zerotta chairlift).

A good "self service" one at Crap Sogn Gion in Laax, where though the actual restaurant is nothing special, the chef cooks up your pasta dishes and sauces in front of you while you wait, resulting in a speedy, but cracking lunch.
snow conditions
I agree with DG....Brandegg - but you have to have the apple fritters Very Happy
ski holidays
Damm how did I forget those, they're the house speciality but have them with the vanille sauce for best effect
snow conditions
Jane,

As to other memorable mountain restaurants, there's always the revolving restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn. Food's not bad and the views are unparalleled.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-01-13 20:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Anyone been to the Ptarmigan at the top of Cairngorm?
snow conditions
Yup. Motorway service station on the piste (at least it was when I skied there in blizzards, rain, hail, fog and sunshine all in one day some years ago).
latest report
Ah... best avoided then!
ski holidays
At the top of the first cable car (of 3), going up to the valle blanche in Courmeyer. The small restaurant at the lift station not only serves great food, with Mont Blanc as a back drop. But 3 weeks ago they gave us a free desert, free coffees and a bottles of local spirits to take what free shots we wanted. Brilliant.
snow report
Any mountain restaurant in Courchevel. 7 euros for a large orangina. Believe me that paying that much does actually convince you that it is a superior to any other orangina
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You got a large Orangina for a mere 7 Euros! Where is this bargain place?
latest report
Chris Bish, Restuarant at the bottom of the Signal chair 1650, nice grub too
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, How much is a large beer going to set me back then??!! Sad
ski holidays
Peter B wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, How much is a large beer going to set me back then??!! Sad

Go to Bar Piggys in 1850. You can get a large beer for a bargain 12 euros and a Guinness for 14. Of course that was in 2002 so it'll probably cost more than that now.

Foolishly I didn't check the price before ordering the round. Embarassed
ski holidays
Lager, I just came back from Saalbach. The cellar bar in the hotel Austria sold large beers for 2 Euros!!! Better get a re-mortgage!
ski holidays
Or stop at Geant on the way through Albertville and get slaughtered in the comfort of your own apartment!!
ski holidays
I'm going to an Inghams Clubhotel - La Floride, and the only rule for such places appears to be that you are forbidden from consuming your own alcohol anywhere on the premises. They've got to catch me first Laughing
snow report
What a daft rule Peter. I could see how "not allowed to bring alcohol purchased elsewhere onto the premises" might be enforceable, but how are they going to catch you drinking in your room??
snow conditions
so many restaurants - so many ski resorts - so little time. Sitting here with my bowl of cornflakes salivating......(...empty fridge - need to do Tescos )
snow report
masopa, I got the holiday on lastminute.com for about £350 each- that's flights, transfers, accommodation, meals etc.. They probably think that they've got to recover their losses somewhere. What doesn't make sense is that I could go to a neighbouring bar and consume there, but cannot buy alcohol in a shop and bring it back to the room.
I wonder about liquor chocolates!!?? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Or how about stopping off at a Spar on the way back from the slopes - pop a few bottles in your backpack...
ski holidays
I'll just have to break the cafetiere! The deal includes free wine at dinner until the coffee arrives.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy