Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Peter B, Take your camelback down to dinner and fill it up with red wine during the main course!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone know the good restaurants etc in Val Cenis?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Val Cenis in March 2001. Enjoyed lunchtime crepes at the place at the bottom of the gondola in Lanslevillard. Not too much to report on the restaurant front, we were staying half board in Lanslebourg - which was really quiet in the evening.

(Watch out for the draglift de la Fema - its one of these exciting vertical takeoff ones!)

I think I'm right in saying that Simon (Mr T) is a fan of the place - often found hanging around in the snowPark so you could go rattle his cage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter B,

I believe the alcohol rule they operate is because of the licence they have. If they have their own bar then drinking your own booze, even in your room, is illegal. This was on another thread either here or on 'the other place' quite recently.

Nice to know you are not so hot on French law and us amateurs have their uses. Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info. In reality, how strongly is that enforced? I am not paying Courchevel prices for my Remy!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Ian, we'll try the lunchtime crepes week after next! Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

In reality, how strongly is that enforced?

In reality, how can you enforce it? Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The usual price for a big beer around the 3 Vallees is €8 in the 1850 sort of places. Over towards the rough ends of Les Menuires and Mottaret you can get it for €6 or even €4. 3V is not cheap!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman - I think I know that place. Only stopped there for a coffee, but got a frienly welcome.

Anyone going 3V soon, I'd recommend the Panorama at the top of Mont de Masse on the far side of Les Menuires. Huge portions, good value and great views. Seems to be a family place and omelettes are made fresh to order. Still a €6 beer though, but it is German Paulaner.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to one of those free wine until coffee comes places a couple of years ago. You were not allowed to smoke in the dining room (quite right too) so, between courses, us addicts took our glasses of wine to the bar for a ciggie. And got thrown out as only drinks bought from the bar were allowed to be drunk there! We argued that wine was still being served in the dining room so what was the problem? But they got very stroppy and insisted that we leave or buy a drink. After a big row, we had, for the rest of the week, to go outside if we wanted a ciggie with wine between courses. Unbelievable Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi, Are you Maggie o'brian from a previous life. Did you go to Zermatt? How was it, if you are/were?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, sorry, I'm not. And I've never been to Zermatt. But if anyone is offering.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Chalet du Lac (I think?) in Arc 2000 for the yummy food and nice atmosphere and the restaurant over in Arc 1800 the self serve one with the fantastic views, deckchairs and good music. Laughing rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That reminds me: Alp Ruschein in Laax, bottom of the Crap Meself chair lift - only accessible via a moderate red or (apparently) very black, black (or the very slow chair). Small, but worth it when the sun's out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back to top for another poster-
snow report
Just back from Alpe D'Huez - I can highly recommend lunch at the Auberge de Combe Haute, it's on the long track back down from the Sarrenne and can also be reached by green/blues from the Auris side. Fab food, quick efficient service - get there early as the queue for tables was quite long....but not too early cos the sun doesn't hit the terrace till midday as it's in a steep sided valley.
ski holidays
Sorry Helen, had missed your posting, when I put mine on. Dont have any restaurants to mention but am off to Meribel in two weeks so will report back. Will try and keep more detailed notes in case we get a factfile section.
snow conditions
No prob, Chris, had nice lunch above Mottaret a couple of weeks ago, but can't remember the name of the place, nice sunny terrace. Feel free to start a post antytime you like. Thought you might find something useful there. I'm off to Serre Chevalier soon, benn before, but will try out some new places too. Little Angel
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Trappers in Sunshine Village, Banff. Sawyers Nook at Temple Lodge Lake Louise. Le Pi Mai, Frejus, Serre Chevalier. What's your favourite? and why?

sounds very swanky, we're more into basic eateries. l'Equireul at the Collet d'Allevard, le Saint Mury at les 7 Laux. The Saint Mury are hard workers, even on the day of the Covid Shutdown they still managed to rustle up some food for us.
latest report
Is that a 20 year bump or am I misreading?
latest report
Some sort of 20 year bump to celebrate 20 years of the site?
snow report
can't recommend Novex above Champoluc highly enough.

Also excellent les Vieilles Luges above Les Houches.

Chalet Sauvage (Mégéve) interesting ...
snow conditions
Jimmy Hütte in the dolomites for me, especially in the sun, with amazing views of the dolomite mountains,
snow report
Amazing 20 year thread bump, but some great memories!
snow report
philusher76 wrote:
Jimmy Hütte in the dolomites for me, especially in the sun, with amazing views of the dolomite mountains,

I shall raise you -- with the Col Pradat Hutte for views

https://www.colpradat.com/en/
ski holidays
The highest mountain hut (residential) in Switzerland, the Mönchjochhutte, 3650 metres.

Inside,

Fantastic place.
snow report
Ice Q in Solden. Yes, a cliché. Yes, ferociously expensive. But I had my 40th there, and frankly it's an amazing place.

Otherwise, La Paika in Les Gets, when the barbecue is going.

Changabang in Avoriaz for a burger outside in the sun.

If alone, or just with Lady F, we tend to grab a sandwich and ski through lunch, or eat before midday or after 2. Not generally a long lunch fan when skiing. We are out with friends next week, as we are every half term, and they love a long lunch. I provide a service by taking their restless children out to do some skiing once we have eaten, whilst the adults relax at the table!
snow conditions
Fredarola just over the Belvedere ridge on the Arabba side. Wow and wow again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last week 2 of my overnight stays were:-

https://rifugiolagazuoi.com/

and

https://www.rifugiobaitacuz.com/en/

Absolutely amazing places!!!
snow conditions
Nice bump…and to think (having read the thread), it was possible then to buy a large beer for €2,00 Shocked

Wonder where some of those old sH names are now.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Trappers in Sunshine Village, Banff. Sawyers Nook at Temple Lodge Lake Louise. Le Pi Mai, Frejus, Serre Chevalier. What's your favourite? and why?

Le Sanglier Qui Fume in Arc 1600 is excellent

Les Enfants Terrible at Peisey is great too
latest report
I can't pick A single one. I mostly ski Zermatt/Cervinia area and these are my top ones though

My favourites in Zermatt:
Alphitta
Blatten
Chez Vrony
Findlerhof
Fluhalp
Zum See

My favourites in Cervinia:
Bontadini
Chalet Etoile
Foyer des Guides
Rascard
latest report
Ciao Pais in Sauze D'Oulx . . . .the best carbonara in the world and the cheapest rocket fuel expresso!
ski holidays
Flexenhausl - Zurs
Schlegelkopf - Lech
Trittkopf BBQ Station - Zurs
+1 for Foyer des Guides - Valtournenche
Edelweiss - Le Fornet
Trifollet - La Daille
La Loge du Massif - Courmayeur
Chiecco - Courmayeur
snowHead
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
Flexenhausl - Zurs
Schlegelkopf - Lech
Trittkopf BBQ Station - Zurs
+1 for Foyer des Guides - Valtournenche
Edelweiss - Le Fornet
Trifollet - La Daille
La Loge du Massif - Courmayeur
Chiecco - Courmayeur
snowHead

To add to the Arlberg locations, had an amazing afternoon at the Arlberg Hospiz Alm in St Christoph a few years ago - was a slushy spring day and it was the perfect antidote.
ski holidays
Blackblade wrote:
I can't pick A single one. I mostly ski Zermatt/Cervinia area and these are my top ones though

My favourites in Zermatt:
Alphitta
Blatten
Chez Vrony
Findlerhof
Fluhalp
Zum See

My favourites in Cervinia:
Bontadini
Chalet Etoile
Foyer des Guides
Rascard

It’s a hard life Very Happy
snow report
After 20 years how many of those Restaurants are still trading - quite a few of those poster aren't Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
Hooters anywhere Toofy Grin
snow report
@jayne durham, You are completely spoint for choice in Zermatt. Chez Vrony is brilliant. Findelhorf and Alder Hitta are both in a place called Findeln and you should try both.

Safe to say it does cost a pretty penny but it is immensely worth it!

Make sure you make it over to Cervinia for lunch at Chalet Etoile also.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Blackblade wrote:
Chalet Etoile
Foyer des Guides
Rascard

It’s a hard life Very Happy

Glad that someone apprciates that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy