Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend is thinking of going there in March and has asked me whether I'm interested in joining him. Has anyone been there? Any info you could give me?

We're looking for different things which makes it tricky: he's mainly after red runs, I seek the blacks and offpiste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skied there as a relative beginner in 2001, based in Finkenberg, enjoyed very much. wide variety of pistes but stretched out along the valley. need to bus between the various areas. check out the hintertux glacier it is spectacular! the following may be useful - http://www.zillertalski.at/index_e.php
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you alpinewalker.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skied there many moons ago, stayed in a place called Reid, you'll not find it in any brochures. Sure you need the bus but it's efficient and on time of course. I wouldn't recomend staying in Mayrhofen,one main cabin out,the Penken can be really huge queues first thing and to be honest at any time however the skiing is great, good scenery ect and I agree the glacier at Hintertux is brill unless you listen to my hubby who thinks you spend far to long going from one chair lift to the next but how else are you supposed to get up there! Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 23-02-04 16:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
better qualify this, I'm Davids wife not David himself,he'd not be to happy if snowheads get the wrong idea Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David F
If you visited Mayrhofen "many moons ago" it may have been before the Penken lift was replaced with a high speed gondola a few years back. I only visited Mayrhofen after the new gondola had been installed (having read about the notorious queues) and certainly the new gondola seems to have virtually removed the problem. Incidentally, I believe the name of the place you stayed at is Ried (its near to the village of Kaltenbach).

I would recommend, whichever resort you stay at in the Zillertal, it's worthwhile paying a liitle extra for the Zillertal Valley Skipass since this let's you ski in any of the valley resorts (in addition to Finkenberg and Mayrhofen which have already been mentioned there is enjoyable skiing at Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach, and Hochfugen (highly recommended Cool -you get to it via bus from Fugen village).
Apart from the skibus, the Zillertal skipass also gives you free rides on the narrow gauge Zillertal railway which runs up the valley via these resorts as far as Mayrhofen. If you fancy a day at the Hintertux glacier you can pay a small supplement to the Zillertal Valley skipass.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiied there many years ago, based in Hochzillertal. Had one of the best days of my life there on Christmas day - perfect weather, perfect snow, deserted slopes.

I'm not sure I'd go back now myself, though, as with hindsight none of the runs that I found were particularly challenging and I like to scare myself when I ski. But if that doesn't bother you, there's a lot of fun to be had.

Definitely echo the thoughts about the area pass - we skiied in a different part of the valley each day. Agree with Alastair about Hochfugen, too. It's set back from the rest of the valley and is a little more tricky to get to on the bus, but it was the pick of the bunch in my view. Worst was Mayrhofen - too many people.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok Alastair, I can't spell right enough it was Ried, nice to know the queues are less though. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lannersbach is a good place to stay - it is central to both Mayerhofen and the Hintertux glacier. There are some reasonably priced, good standard, family owned hotels to stay in. There is a big 200 person gondola to link you to the Mayerhofen piste and a free bus up to the Glacier (about 15 minutes). There are small queues for the gondola onto the piste here. You can ski across to the next village (up the valley) or down to Finkenberg.

There are plenty of red runs to keep you happy for a week and blues too. Hintertux is not for beginners, it is for intermediates, and it really is worth going to ski on. Unlike VT and Alpe'D you really do know that you are skiing a glacier. STAY ON PISTE, 2 people (that I know of, could be more!) met an untimely end in the cravase fields...we could see the tracks of one of them from the chairlift (ugh!).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy