Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer fitness - marital arts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just taken up Kung-fu as Twin 1 and youngest sprog have been going for a while and I thought I'd give it a go. Anyone know if it's good/bad preparation for skiing?

I'm a bit worried about injuring myself as I'm clapped out already, but when it comes to exercise it's got to be interesting and some 'safer' sports just bore me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oops - freudian slip. Should read MARTIAL arts not MARITAL - that's for another forum!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marmalade, I've been doing martial arts for a few years now with a variety of different types/styles. I've only been skiing/boarding for the last year or so but I know that some of the work that I do as warm up exercises and general health & wellbeing each day is very good for you. A couple of things that you could look at:

Qi Gong and the breathing exercises - there are loads of different ones and I can't pretend to know them all (or very many at all!) but these are very good for breath control, energetics etc. If you are doing Kung Fu, it depends on which form you are doing but you should also be doing this kind of stuff each session you go to. Particularly integral to the 'internal' martial arts rather than just the external fighty-fighty stuff. I've just come back from a Hsing I course where this was very important before any hard physical exercise - I think skiing will fit into this!

Slapping Qigong - google this or have a look at this link. Looks like crazy stuff but really does feel good once you get into the habit of it. Each morning or so or before skiing, I should think this would be very useful. www.mnwelldir.org/docs/qigong/qgsm.htm (this link wouldn't open when I just tried it but it does usually)

The general balance training in Kung Fu (this is what it is ALL about!) should also be very good for skiing.

Hope this helps a little bit. Be interested to hear how you get on with it and from anyone else who has some ideas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marmalade, I would have thought than anything that improves fitness and strength has got to be helpful for skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marmalade, Virtually all the race clubs that I know about make the kids do some sort of martial art. They consider it excellent for flexibility, strength and discipline. I did Kung Fu for a while and it was great, I was in much better shape and with fewer aches and pains than normal. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you want full on aerobic fitness workout, try and get involved in mma fitness/conditioning training. possible the hardest training i have ever done
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have both our boys in Karate classes now - thought it was a good idea from various points of view, not least of which the factors that easiski, mentions. It's definitely a workout too, as they are both cream-crackered after the hour long lesson! Very Happy I think it can only help with concentration and application of instructions as they are so definite and precise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy