Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitness - volume training.

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else tried this?

Ten sets, ten reps, one minute rest between each set. Something new that my PT introduced me to this lunchtime, apparently it's meant to develop muscles like nobodys business.

All I know is that my session finished two hours ago, and already I'm acheing like I've done ten rounds with Tyson. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmmm am gonna try this tonight
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It'll take ages Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, didn't know what you were talking about, so I Googled and found this which induced an immediate desire to go and have a lie down. Shocked I think that, perhaps, it's not quite the thing for a 5'2'' female of a certain age...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, Shocked absolutely. Now I'm starting my new job next week, and I promised myself to either renew my gym membership or find some alternative exercise. It won't be this, that's certain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, I've just done 206 reps at 260 Kg on the leg press and I feel fine, is there something wrong with me ? Cool

Oh and the gym computer assumes nobody can arm curl more than 50Kg, I was doing 60Kg so had to add more reps

Total weight lifted tonight 63,870 Kg total calories burnt approx 950 in arround 90 mins of exercise
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, do you wear your Y fronts on the outside? wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, What sort of weight tho ? I had a programme once with a guy at the gym who was convinced that a single set, but with weights that ended the set in failure, if you see what I mean, was the way to go.
Jerry, who tends to look at the weights for a bit and then go for another run Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, nope, not in that league yet Laughing Though in the last 8 weeks according to the gyms computer I've lifted almost 1,000,000 Kg Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jerry, you do it with 60% of the weight that you can lift to failure at 20 reps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
according to the gyms "computer" I've lifted almost 1,000,000 Kg Shocked

Is that Microsoft kg's or proper kg's?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
srobbo, Proper Kg's though MS may have missed a few from the total due to their features
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not sure that pure muscle strength is that effective for things such as mountain biking and skiing. For MTBing it's more the power to weight ratio, for skiing I see core strength and balance better than limb strength.

The current MTB world champion (Christoph Sauser) is 63-68kg (heaviest in winter) with a height of 1.81m (ca 5' 11")
http://www.sauserwind.com/data.asp
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, I agree, probably not for mountain biking, where you feel every extra pound that you have to carry up the hill, but it's a way of increasing lean body mass, and if you look at the downhill skiers, they're built like brick outhouses.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer wrote:
DB, I agree, probably not for mountain biking, where you feel every extra pound that you have to carry up the hill, but it's a way of increasing lean body mass, and if you look at the downhill skiers, they're built like brick outhouses.

Yes to build up lean muscle any method that works for you is great. I doubt any of us mere mortals will get near the speeds of professional downhill skiers (without leaving a mark somewhere). Us recreational skiers ski for hours not minutes too. Benni Raich is 1,81 m and ca 75 kg. Size isn't everything (as the bishop said to the actress).
snow report
I liked this quote:
Quote:
In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
... if you look at the downhill skiers, they're built like brick outhouses.

Some are, particularly in the legs, but by no means all. Some of the DH guys I saw at Val d'Isere I thought didn't live up to the brick outhouse image at all, including Ralves, Mickel, Strobl, Ghedina and others. The all round guys such as Raich seemed smaller than I thought they would as well. I think it was Maier who switched is training regime from lifting lots of weights to resistance work on the bike and found it improved his performance on skis.
snow report
Pilates works for me along with swiss ball excercises. Where is Stocky on this debate..
snow report
I think that in virtually any sport at the top level the competitors will have far greater power and strength than average, in some though weight carries a disadvantage so that the muscles are not particularly hypertrophied but they are almost always stronger than average.
snow report
240 reps at 260 kg on the Leg Press this am, total weight lifted at this am's session 71,200 Kg anyone mad enough to even try to beat that in a single session Laughing
latest report
Kramer, thanks for the tip on volume training, i had to try it the other night, and been doing it every night since...lol
ski holidays
Kramer, ever look into 40 x 1s at 10 rep max? No ache, all gain, bit of time cost though with 30 second rests. I'm thinking reasonable cross-training for in the season.
latest report
I've just renewed my gym membership for the winter, did the first two sessions last week - and boy oh boy do they hurt. I tend to do each body part on a seperate day, with a little ab and back work mixed in. Chest must be the worst for pain, especially when you finish on the cable cross overs after a massive press session Evil or Very Mad
snow report
There was a news report a few days ago about how much more muscle tone people have, who have a tendancy to fidget.

So that means, my mom was wrong when she told me to "Sit Still!!"
snow report
comprex, not sure what you mean by 40*1s at 10 reps max?

SnowHot, yes fidgeting is good.

I'm going to move onto the 300 workout the week after next.
latest report
graeme, glad that you enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Anyone else tried this?

Ten sets, ten reps, one minute rest between each set. Something new that my PT introduced me to this lunchtime, apparently it's meant to develop muscles like nobodys business.

All I know is that my session finished two hours ago, and already I'm acheing like I've done ten rounds with Tyson. Very Happy

Did your PT say to do this weekly, or just every now and then to mix up the standard 3 sets, 10 reps routine???
snow report
kitenski, split into three seperate workouts, push, pull, and legs. Between each workout, leave 3-5 days recovery time, so doing each one about once a week, but three workouts a week. Do it for 4-6 weeks then change. It works really well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really should feel dreadful, I did 500 reps at 260Kg on Thursday on the leg press but amazingly I feel pretty good, the trainers at the gym have I think decided that I may not be entirely human (I could have told them that ages ago wink ) Hopefully all this exercise and leg flexing will help with the skiing, I may just pop down to the local dry slope soon and find out
snow report
40 sets of one rep each at the same weight you'd use for 10 rep failure, i.e. 78%-80% of one-rep failure, 30 seconds rest between.
latest report
comprex, thanks for that clarification, I may try it.
snow conditions
Many people say that legs benefit from longer sets than other muscle groups. 12-20 reps/set has been mentioned often.

As for the Comprex' suggestion, would someone please tell me how they felt afterwards. I fail to see the point in this, because if you did four sets of 10 reps, you would use the same weight as in his 40-set/1-rep programme, but increase intensity by, well, you think it yourselves.
latest report
demos, I did 750 reps on the Leg Press Sunday morning at 260Kg, 3 batches of 250 reps, each batch split into 4 sets of arround 60 to 65 reps my legs felt fine, but I would not suggest that anyone else try such a rediculous weight or number of reps, the instructors at the gym are convinced I'm not entirely human and I won't disagree with them
snow conditions
Thats impressive DG, what can you squat and deadlift? After a while I found lifting boring and repetitive I just climb / cycle now...
ski holidays
Will Stanton, nothing like as much or as many Embarassed
ski holidays
D G Orf something which my personal trainer does which you might like to try as an effective variance with the leg press is introducing sets where you lift the weights using both legs but then lower in a very controlled fashion (should take 3 seconds) using one leg. He had a technical name for this kind of training which i can't remember but i can vouch that it is much harder and seriously increases your leg strength. Be very consistent with feet and foot position on the plate.
latest report
Beakyshark, On the same topic, I mentioned elsewhere doing extended-time squats or presses to increase the ability to fight lactid acid. Bring the weights down (or squat down) extremely slowly, from top to bottom around 10-20 seconds and push up equally slowly. This way each repetition is between 20-40 second long. Do ten reps/set if you can, four sets.
snow report
Kramer, sounds a good thing to try to vary your workouts. Sounds like you won't be lifting the same weight as you would for single set of 10 reps, so it won't be about strength so much as improving endurance.

The soreness thing is something gym instructors often like because it 'feels' like you did a good workout, however for strength lifting heavy weights is the key, not fatiguing the muscle.
snow report
D G Orf, Reading your stats and thinking very impressive - however, it'd be interesting to see if free weights may give you better results. Versus the machines they also allow you to work your core whilst building legs etc - after BASI common theory course 2 yrs ago I had a chap called Gil tell me that gym machines were useless and free weights were the only thing worth considering. Maybe you could give them a go and let us know the comparison. I'm a free weight convert myself and have been busy learning technique for dead lifts, lunges and power cleans to add to my usual squatting this summer - must admit I have never ached so much after shown how to really do them - with no cheating as I used to do Very Happy
ski holidays
dg3, I will freely admit that I'm useless with free weights, I tend to be fairly unbalanced, however they do have a smith machine which lets me more or less use free weights but controls the stabilization

I should point out that I have a 26" thigh muscle and it is fairly solid muscle, I don't think there are many people who could do the silly number of reps I do on the leg press at those sort of weights, I find that the leg press actually gives me a fairly similar range of movement to that which I go through on skis so I suspect it's not bad as a training aid.

By the way the other night I was doing 30 reps at 34Kg on the free weight leg press without any real problems, save that we ran out of 20 and 25Kg weights Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy