Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breckenridge

Poster: A snowHead
Whats skiing and staying in Breckenridge like ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
good.
Actually, very good.

It's been a year or two since I was last there, but go to Ullrs on the main street for beers/nights out.
Cafe Breck is excellent for breakfast - it's at the base of Peak 9, I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fandabidozey I would say.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, tis good.

The brewerys good too - for food as well. More than you can shake a ski pole at, order one starter and one main for every two people eating - really you get that much.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Breck in January and had an awesome time.

Before i went i was told that the skiing was most suited to Intermediates, however i found that while the mountain does have some great tree-lined cruisers there are also plenty or blacks and double blacks (especially lake chutes) to keep even the most advanced skiier occupied. I stayed in the hostel (Fireside Inn) and it only cost $35 per night!

The other great thing about staying in Breck is that it acts as a great base to visit the other mountains in the area. Keystone, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek, and A Basin are all within an hour drive.

The Brewery is a great place for a night out, as is St Bernard (Back Room). The best place that i went to eat was Southridge seafood restaurant but there is so much (80 + restaurants bars on or just off main st) on offer you'll always find something you like.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope its fantastic cos I'm off there on Weds Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stephen: Cool, sure you'll have a great time make sure you visit Vail especially if there's lots of snow, the back bowls and blue sky basin are awesome!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mark.goddard wrote:
Whats skiing and staying in Breckenridge like ?

What kind of skiing do you like to do. It's been my "home area" for the past few years, and I may be able to give you some specific thoughts on areas of the resort to seek out. It's a very large resort, and also quite diverse from peak 7 to peak 10...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would be pretty much a low intermediate
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm going too on 26 March for ten days and I'm probably a low intermediate as well but keen to improve. Any tips gratefully received.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know if ssh would agree but IMHO the bottom section of Peak 7 (Anything off the Independence chair) is great for intermediates with lots of rolling tree-lined blues, it was certainly very popular with the intermediate guys in our group. One tip...There's quite a long flat traverse from Peak 8 to Peak 7 so get lots of speed up from the Rocky Mountain chair (i.e. NO turns) otherwise you'll get tired very quickly! Once you've progressed a little there are some steeper blues off the Beaver Run Chair on Peak 9 and a great blue/black called Spruce off the Colorado Super Chair on Peak 8.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stephen Sadler wrote:
I hope its fantastic cos I'm off there on Weds Madeye-Smiley

What a fun time! Stephen phoned me Saturday evening just after I'd spent the day on the bumps at Copper Mountain. We had a lovely dinner at Downstairs at Erics and got to know each other a bit. I gave him some recommendations for runs to ski at Breck the next day, and we chatted it up until I dropped him back in Frisco later that night.

Sunday evening, we caught up again and had BBQ at Bubba's. Stephen had had a great day on Peak 9 and was looking to head to the lift-served summit of 9 today. We didn't hook up again, so I'll have to leave it to him to post his thoughts upon his return next Monday. I did suggest a couple of instructors to him since he was looking for a lesson during his stay.

We did get snow on Sunday, and the freshies were still to be had even late in the day today. While not the best snow, it was quite nice and I enjoyed it immensely. snowHead

As far as I know, this is the first SnowHeads meet. I'd be willing to wager it's the first intercontinental SnowHeads meet! snowHead We got to know each other because of this great site! How cool is that?!?!?!?! Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WaistDeepInPow, excellent recommendations! The lower Peak 7 is really wonderful intermediate terrain, and although I often spend a lot of time on the double-blacks, I find that Peak 7 terrain very, very enjoyable, indeed.

Peaks 7 and 9 really have the best intermediate terrain. Peak 8 is a bit more "blue-black," but you can find some very pleasant groomed blue terrain there, too.

Note: Breckenridge grooms every blue and every green every night all season.

For a complete perspective on the mountain, check out their trail map.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I've thought about this, I'd recommend to you both what I recommended to Stephen: start on Peak 9. Get your ski legs back by skiing the greens under the QuickSilver chair. Then, once comfortable, move over to the Beaver Run Super Chair (blues only!). Once you're comfortable there, take the Peak 8 SuperConnect and traverse over to Peak 7. Enjoy the runs there for as long as you want, but remember that you'll need to ride a Peak 8 chair to get back to Peak 9's base.

Again, check out the trail map and perhaps I can answer questions for you...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh, Steve we are going to Breck on 20th March
and will need some lessons. This only our second
skiing trip. Can you tell us who to look out for
if possible. Have heard the instructors out
there are great anyway but i little extra
advise from you would be great!! Very Happy
latest report
jimmybob, glad to help any way I can...

Given your level of skill, there are a couple of options. First, I would recommend that you request a level III (pronounced "level 3") certified instructor (or above) regardless of individuals that I might recommend.

As for the individuals, I'll send you a PM with names. I do not want to upset any Breck instructors who may be watching if I fail to mention them! Wink
snow report
ssh, Thats great mate thanks
Holidays been booked for 8 months
now just can't wait for it to come Wink
snow report
I spent the past two days (Sunday 29 Feb, Monday 1 Mar) skiing at Breckenridge for my PSIA level II certification exams (I passed skiing, but did not pass the teaching Crying or Very sad, so don't pay any attention to me over in the Bend ze Knees forum!). Anyway, for those of you heading here sometime soon...

The snow was decent, but thin in spots. We did not ski on Peak 10 at all. Peak 9 is largely green and blue, so groomed every night. Coverage was good, the snow was pretty good, but there was some manmade hardpack to be found.

Peak 8 is my favorite part of the resort, and we spent quite a bit of time there both days. It did snow more than half the day on Sunday, and although they reported only a total of 4", we found stashes that were easily 12-18" deep around the trees, in the various bowls and chutes, and tucked off the beaten path. We were still getting first tracks at 2pm on Monday off the Contest Bowl and Peak 7 chutes.

Some of the nicest skiing on the mountain is from the T-bar (if you can handle off-piste black to double-black terrain!). From the summit, slide right along the traverse, and hit any of the runs starting with Pika and heading all the way out through the gates to the Peak 7 chutes (Vertigo is great on a windblown snowpack day, and Debbie's (to skier's right of Vertigo) is a bit more private). If you like to climb, the hike up either Peak 7 or Peak 8 gets great rewards on powder days (hikes are 35 and 45 minutes, respectively, for a typical person in reasonable shape. Less if you're an athlete!).

The snow off Hallelujah Bowl was very nice, as well, and the Outlaw chute was enjoyed by others in my group. I had some fun hammering around the trees off lift 6 on both Sunday afternoon and Monday.

Really, though, we could use some more snow. Hopefully we'll have our normal snowy March and April and we'll be skiing A Basin into the early summer!
snow report
Steve, bad luck on the teaching thing. I've started studying for my level 1.
snow report
Does anyone know if ESF have a "teaching" part to their exams? I have always doubted it Exclamation
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Steve, bad luck on the teaching thing. I've started studying for my level 1.

Thanks, WTFH. You'll find Level 1 simple having spent all the time you do on EpicSki. As long as you can do the carved uphill arc without any skid, it's simple. Are you going to do it in PSIA-RM? If not, which division?

You know, I'm proud of passing the skiing. I've only taught kids this year at levels 1-3, so it makes it impossible to get practice with level 5-7 adults (the exam). I also think that the examiner was wrong about a number of things in both skiing and teaching, so I'm not beating myself up over it.

But, thanks for the kind words!

Now, a bit of Breck-specific words to make this a bit higher signal-to-noise post:

For the best snow forecast for Breck and some other other US resorts, check out SnowForecast.com.
snow conditions
Steve, I'll probably be doing it with PSIA-NRM, but I'm just trying to sort out a few issues.

Breck is a great place. Almost as good as Winter Park. (which is my favourite in Colorado)
snow report
The runs off the T-bar in Breck are awesome...i could spend all day just messing around up there, especially down through the trees off contest. I really liked some of the blacks off the 6 chair too, luckily i was skiing with a local so was able to hit some really good spots.

ssh, do you have any opinions on ski instructor courses in colorado. I am strongly contemplating going to keystone next winter and doing a course run by the Rookie Acadamy (14 weeks), have you heard of it or know of anyone who has done it?
latest report
WaistDeepInPow, I have not heard of the Rookie Academy, sorry. 14 weeks is quite a long event!

What are you looking to learn?

I would recommend the EpicSki Academy as a great start, plus spend some time over on that web site. Instructor courses run by the PSIA-RM are widely available through the year, as well, and even without being employed by a ski school, you can attend many of them and even pass your level I (although you aren't officially "certified" until you're employed by a ski school). You can check the PSIA Rocky Mountain web site for more information.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Steve, I'll probably be doing it with PSIA-NRM, but I'm just trying to sort out a few issues.

Breck is a great place. Almost as good as Winter Park. (which is my favourite in Colorado)

Funny, that. I don't like WP at all! My favorites are Breck, Copper, Vail, and Beaver Creek. Steamboat is great, but I don't get there very often. I'd love to get the time to hit Wolf Creek, and Crested Butte was wonderful the only time I've been able to ski there (lots o' steeps!). A Basin is nice on a powder day and in the spring/summer, and I used to ski Loveland a lot until I had just skied it too much and got a little bored with it.

Hmmm... Seems I like most of Colorado, eh? Happy to answer questions on any of these... Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy