Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis How often

Poster: A snowHead
Ok some advice might be helpful. My ski's are four years old and since I bought them ski design has moved on apace. I am REALLY tempted to buy new skis- making carving easier etc. but the keeper of the exchequer has proclaimed that they are still ok!!! I cannot claim that my skiing has progressed much over the intervening years. Is this greed or need?

How often do other snowheads update their equipment- Is it only when absolutely need to due to damage or when a new design catches your attention.??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what are they? and how old are they really? how many days ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brian T, it depends on how much you use them, they should be capable of lasting roughly 20 weeks of continuous skiing (a season) but you may find that due to accidental damage they don't last that long, why not take the existing ones with you this year, and hire a couple of really good pairs of new skis for a day each with possibly some 1 to 1 instruction, that way you can see if they really will make a big difference plus find out how to change your style to gain the most effect.

I replace mine when they get too damaged to repair or roughly every 5 years whichever occurs sooner
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my case, it is absolutely necessary to buy some when a new design catches my attention.
I have bought a new pair for the last 2 seasons (skied about 5 weeks total last season), oh and some Line skiboards the season before that, not really worn any of them out (or even in!) but I suspect I'll probably accidently buy myself some Seth Pistols (or similar) this season!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stuarth, some people just have too much disposable income Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth, sx9s, 1080s, Seth Pistols, Line skiboards, I really think there's a gaping hole in that quiver: you've nothing at all in a super-slalom, oh the mortifying embarassment, oh! Laughing snowHead Laughing Wink

Quick, demo some SL11s or Elan SLs or Fischer Worldcup SCs or 9s oversizes before anyone else notices. Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth, are you the same with ski clothing? Do you have to have a new ski jacket every season too?? Laughing Laughing Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
more importantly, can I get first dibs when you sell off some of the little ued dtuff?

Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
stuarth, sx9s, 1080s, Seth Pistols, Line skiboards, I really think there's a gaping hole in that quiver: you've nothing at all in a super-slalom, oh the mortifying embarassment, oh! Laughing snowHead Laughing Wink

Quick, demo some SL11s or Elan SLs or Fischer Worldcup SCs or 9s oversizes before anyone else notices. Wink

Laughing
Hmmm good point. Best get down to the ski shop snowHead

Snowy wrote:
stuarth, are you the same with ski clothing? Do you have to have a new ski jacket every season too?? Laughing Laughing Cool

Yep - but for different reasons, though I fully plan to use the one I bought last season for a second one Shocked (i.e. I don't plan to have any car battery/shoe polish related incidents with this one!) Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We always buy new skis each year but because we're buying to maintain a stock of skis for our guests to use, our buying criteria is different to the average recreational skier. We look for durability and the ability of a ski to suit as wide a range of skier capabilities as possible. From our experience, Dynastar are the best value we can find, we've never had a problem with them unlike certain other manufacturers. So I can get to ski just about any pair I want from 155 cms full-on Slalom skis to 184cms Bigs, but my favourite skis are 4 yr old 4x4 all-terrains. I know I can go anywhere on them without any worries. The Intuitiv 74s bought last year are livelier but not as good off-piste, so I don't feel that just because a ski is 4 yrs old it's time to replace it. It all depends on your style, expectations and ability. I have been told that skis have a life of 100 days skiing, about a season if used every day. So for the average 2 or 3 weeks a year skier that should mean at least 5 or 6 years before replacement.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seriously though, the reason for more vast (and growing!) ski collection isn't one of wearing a pair out every year (though I might actually manage it with a bit of luck this year snowHead ) , more one of no one ski can do everything.

Skiboards = fun, rubbish in powder, good for learning, good for dry slopes, don't use any more and have been consigned to the wardrobe! (nbt- they might be going cheap! Madeye-Smiley )

SX9's = more on piste (though not too bad off it), more racy ski's - use these when I have going fast in mind, or it's icy Cool

1080's = cruisy, messing about on/off-piste, jumping off stuff, good fun go anywhere skis, but not so great for speed and rock hard pistes.

Seth pistols (or similar!?) = backcountry/powder skis - not going to do any racing courses with these! snowHead

Though Mrs H will probably disagree, I think I can justify buying all of them (and a few more - SL11's eh... Twisted Evil snowHead)

I quite like Salomon scream xtra hot's too, and Rossi scratch FS's and Rossi B2's and, Atomic SX11s, and... rolling eyes Mr. Green
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth, it sounds like you've got a very understanding missus there. Little Angel

I have one brilliant pair of skis that will take me anywhere - powder or piste (Atomic C9). snowHead

I think the life of a ski will very much depend on whether you look after them i.e. get them serviced regularly and don't ski over debris (rocks, twigs, crashed snowboarders). Shocked Laughing

I actually rented out a pair of the atomic C9s before going off and buying a brand new set. The difference in performance between the infrequently serviced/rough based/blunt edged/unwaxed rental skis and my brand new ones was enormous. Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
seems to confirm what I've though for a while, buying used kit in the UK must be a total bargain Very Happy

I can't help wondering if at least some of the punters buying skis are buying the wrong kit each time and are locked into a continual search for a ski they can actually handle on a range of terrains rather than accept the "super, professional, expert, ski god" level ski they buy is not right for them Very Happy Blind testing with unmarked skis has got to be the way to go ....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brian T, if the skis you got are fine, then why change? All this rubbish about skis only lasting a certain length of time should be ignored. We all ski differently. The ski manufacturers of course want us to keep buying. But, if you've looked after them and they still do the job then you'll have to think of another reason. Now, if you just want a change, you've got some spare cash, they don't match your trousers, then go get some new ones. But otherwise she-who-must-be-obeyed is right - buy her something nice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm - well I have my dry slope skis (Atomic C11's, used every week of the year for 2-3 hours), off-piste/fun skis (1080's), uphill/touring skis (Dynastar 4x4 with Fritschis) and blades (original 1st year out Salomons). I'm missing my piste skis (X-Screams) which I sold last year, but, like Stuarth, there is clearly room in my cupboard below stairs for a few more pairs.....
snow report
Jonpim,
I think I agree with you, and yes, I could buy her something nice, but....
No! I'll be sensible and buy skis AND something nice.

Seriously, You are right about the manufacturers pushing sales through must have sales pitches. Unfortunately the pitches work on me all to often. May well hire at christmas just to see what difference if any a new design makes to my skiing, as DG suggested.
Makes sense - thanks everyone.
latest report
Excuse me, guys, but how many pairs of skis can one person carry from car to airport to bus/taxi/train etc Puzzled Three? Four? I struggle to carry one Confused Do you have butlers/Sherpas/Arnie type muscles or what?
ski holidays
maggi, plastic ski box. I can get two pairs of skis in a single box and have been known to put four pairs of skis in a double box but the double has wheels at the end. Getting the skis in is a shoehorn job but the harder problem is the ski poles which need a bit of patience.
ski holidays
maggi, this is one reason why I tend to consider driving before flying these days - even Club class check in will balk eventually Laughing
ski holidays
The train's good for luggage as well, I've yet to be turned away for having too much luggage, plus no weight limits Laughing
latest report
It's not the plane/train weight limit that bothers me. It's my own! Best way for me is, go by car to off site airport parking place, unload at reception - their man puts them in bus. At airport, man unloads them and I put them straight onto trolley, then wheel it to check in. Other end, off conveyor, straight onto trolley then wheel to tour operator's bus. Man loads them then (hopefully!) unloads them at chalet/hotel. Worst bit for me is getting them to my room to unpack them!

Couldn't cope with carrying them on/off public buses, trains, taxis etc and all the walking inbetween, along with all other stuff. Please don't tell me to go to the gym and get muscles - I know - but life's too short rolling eyes

Quote:

double has wheels at the end

Now that's an idea .....
latest report
How often?? Depends how you treat them ... Wink
latest report
Maggi,
best way (to Switzerland anyway) is swiss air, or their latest incarnation. Wave by by to ski's etc at check in and say hello again at hotel.

Bliss....
latest report
Brian T, DGO is spot on with the rental option. Just make sure you go for premium skis and that they are clean, sharp, waxed and have no major scores in the base. Go into the shop when it's dead and the guys should set you up well. Don't be afraid to get the hire skis serviced if you are not totally happy with them

D G Orf,
Quote:

I've yet to be turned away for having too much luggage, plus no weight limits

Is the "no weight limit" for you or your kit? Wink
snow conditions
Boardski, No comment ! Laughing But I guess it applies equally well to both Cool

Brian T, since I know where you are off to, go into Central Sport (because they have the biggest selection) during a quiet time (say 11 am on a Monday) and hire some VIP skis for a few days, they'll let you try several different pairs, also they will take that hire price off any ski purchase you make based on the skis they loan you, so given that you are going to get two hols there choose the skis on the first trip and buy them then and leave them out there till you return at the end of Feb
ski holidays
Its not a topic that grabs my attention - until today - someone said that a pair of skis loses its flex after 10 years - is this true? Obviously, it must be a generalisation, as I was of the opinion that it was usage of the skis that mattered not age. For eg I ski on K2 carvers bought in January 1998, have skied 11 weeks in the past 5 seasons. No probs with them IMO!

Should I be looking to chuck them in? ( They are OK in IMO but I have not tried any others so am ignorant of what has happened since 1998 )

Your comments would be of interest snowHead
latest report
Thanks DG! - Can't wait. Let's hope it's a cold, white Christmas there.
snow report
Good Grief!
john wells wrote:
I can get two pairs of skis in a single box and have been known to put four pairs of skis in a double box
How many legs have you got, John? Toofy Grin

hibernia wants comments. So here they are. Ignore the idjuts: if the skis ski OK, keep them!
Our crazy economy needs us to keep buying new things. That means we have to abandon perfectly good "old" items. To persuade us to do this they invented Fashion. When the Fashion Fabrication fails they hit you with "Oh, you still using those? They only last a couple of years you know". And isn't it poweful? You say your skis are OK. You are quite happy with them. They work for you. But now this "someone" has got you doubting - wonderinig if they are really OK after all.
Brilliant, isn't it. New clothes, new car, new skis, no questions - and the old ones worked just fine.
And that's how Philip Green gets to pocket 40 million.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, since '98 they've gotten much softer longitudinally, much stiffer torsionally, much more versatile for various terrain, and generally are sized shorter (193cm '98 -> 168cm 2004/2005 (for the skis I like at least Cool )

"Losing flex" is probably the least sin of them all in my book. Quite more serious when they:
have no bases left from tuning (they crack and start to peel up when water gets under them) (2pairs that I can remember)
have no edges from tuning or delamination pull-out (1 pair)
have collapsed the topskin into the ski, (1 pair)
have pulled the binding out because the core is dry-rotted (2 pairs)
have split and cracked the laminate (1 pair)
have permanent unintentional bends (2 pairs)
have snapped along the old binding holes. (1 pair)
ski holidays
Brian T, I buy skis whenever the wife will let me !

Good condition is much much more important than whether the ski has this years' flex pattern, by this I mean that the edges are sharp enough for what you want to do, and the base has been waxed.

For the economically challenged, buying last years' (or the year before) ski is always cheaper.......... Little Angel
ski holidays
comprex - thanks for the technical stuff. - gosh you get through a lot of skis! Cool

mine are K2 ; 178s side-cuts ( not as long as you indicated ) which I suppose are not too bad for skis that are nearly seven years old. I have them fully serviced once a year for 1 to 2 weeks recretional skiing. The bases seem to be fine. I supposen that I would have to try a newer pair of skis to really see whether it makes a difference. Indeed the difference in performance may only be marginal and not noticable.
snow conditions
Jonpim, while I agree in principle with the point you're making you're over emphasizing fashion. The whole point with skis and boots is that we’re encouraged to believe there’s some major technology advances that we need to take advantage of. These technology changes are the convenient justification for needing new skis or boots, buyers seem able to convince themselves that the new feature is exactly what’s lacking from their current kit and that’s stopping them from skiing bumps/crud/powder/ice/steeps. As I mentioned above, I’m absolutely certain many people just have the wrong kit, and keep “upgrading” looking for the right kit.

Of course, for most of us, the things that improve our skiing are perfectly obvious; doing more days, servicing the skis, being fit and having some tuition and the returns for the money spent there are going to be colossal compared to continually buying skis.
ski holidays
Although a few Snowheads make a living from skiing, most of us do it for fun. Skiing is just the adult version of sliding down the local mountain on a black bin liner - and no less fine an activity for that.

No-one can answer your question, Brian T, because we all have fun in different ways. Do you have fun opening your wallet whenever you see some eye-candy gear in the ski shop? If so, buy lots and lots of new gear. Do you have fun bragging about your kit to your mates? If so, buy some cool new skis. Do you have fun trying to work out whether you can't do moguls becuase your stuff's lousy or because you're lousy? If so, find out with some new stuff. Do you have fun looking cool? Buy the coolest gear you can find and strut about like an Italian (sorry, matteo).

On the other hand, if, like me, you just enjoy sliding down mountains - and you'd happily use a black bin liner if you didn't have skis - use the cash to buy another skiing holiday. Or some lessons. Or something really fun like heli-skiing (not that I've tried it - yet...)
latest report
ise, thank you for referring me back to your previous post. I had whizzed through it too fast and failed to take in the excellent point you made. I agree completely. Major Technological Advance? Huh! So seductive.
I have posted here as if I am immune, but not so at all. I can ski most slopes. I have skied the last couple of seasons on salomon x-scream hot pilots. The perfect ski for me: completely forgiving. But when an attractive girl in the Courmayeur ski hire shop said she couldn't stand salomons as they were so soft, I started to wonder if I shouldn't be trying another ski, some Bandits maybe.....
Pathetic, isn't it? No ise, you hit the nail right on the head with your recent remarks:
"the things that improve our skiing are perfectly obvious; doing more days, servicing the skis, being fit and having some tuition and the returns for the money spent there are going to be colossal compared to continually buying skis."
Wise words that deserve to be posted twice.
snow conditions
Jonpim, most ski shops regard Salomons as punter skis. They look good, they get good reviews, do they stock them, no not really, there are always a few top-end models because people ask for them but the vast bulk of most ski-shops stock are Rossignols and Dynastars (in France). The skis we have had most problems with are Salomoms. IMHO the build quality is poor compared to the equivalent Dynastars or Rossis. We have Salomons and Dynastars of equal age and the Salomons look knackered. I would agree with the comment about the softness of Salomons but maybe that's just my prejudices starting to show. My son, on the other hand loves them, he's used Salomon Pilots for 2 seasons guiding & instructing and thinks they're superb, so maybe it's an age thing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 22-10-04 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
OK, I'm a punter. I can live with that.
ski holidays
Web Cam? jonpim I didn't mean my comments to be derogatory, that's just how a ski-shop owner explained it to me ' we stock Salomons to sell and Rossigniols to use' struck a chord with me because it mirrored our own experience.
snow report
Sorry David@traxvax, should have put a there.
No offence at all. I enjoy all your comments.
snow report
When they break !
If they still slide use them , why renew ?
snow conditions
stanton, even when they break, I used to cut old skis down for my kids to use as shoe-skis, early form of blades I guess.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy