Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My ACL rehab - not for the squeamish.

Poster: A snowHead
lampbus, looking great.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crumbs, that is looking good! My bruises, the dark, multicolour skiing ones, last for months Shocked .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lampbus That's tremendous progress - really brill!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive just got back in from my physio session. Week 3.

Feeling a bit crap (brain failure) for a few days and particularly this morning so I was not looking forward to going out and having to smile at people and work, but I now feel realy ok. I dont know if it is just the excercise or the fact that we had a laugh (but when depression sets in other people laughing and trying to cheer you up can be realy very annoying) and I suppose it is because I could actually do the things he asked me to do (Plus my usual 10%) so thats all good.

Went to the pharmacy for more happy pills and the pharmasist was very impressed with my scar (I was still in my shorts, I didnt need to roll up my trouser leg like I do usually to make the girls squeak).

I have the ice pack on now to control any swelling.

I do need to work on my left hamstring cos it hurts like heck and cant actually lift my bum off the floor while lying on my back with my heel on the chair. But its not surprising as it has a bit missing now Skullie
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lampbus, Poor hamstring - give it a treat of some sort! Very Happy Sounds good R. Keep up the good work. You know the old thing - if you make the effort to smile it makes you happier (well sort of). I always find this helps. See you very soon - I expect to see demonstrations in LDA. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lampbus, that's marvellous progress you're making! Glad to hear/see it!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lampbus, Good story. Looking on the positive side, my other half had an ACL rebuild about 10 years ago using the same technique as yours. Total success, and she is now skiing happily on it. Very Happy

Hers was a result of a karate injury (twisting kick), and was originally not diagnosed as on ACL injury Evil or Very Mad So her unstable knee wore out the meniscus, which was the trigger for reconstructive surgery. When doing that they told her she had no ACL and that would need a second operation to fix!

All done by a chap called Bickerstaff, the top man for knees in the Sheffeild area and something of a world authority we later found out.

JT, agreed. It is like carpentry. In our case she saw most of the procedure whilst it was being done Shocked as she had a epidural, to avoid issues with nausea following general anaesthetics in the past.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jmdohanlon, Several peeps at the physio ('open gym' in Hexham hospital) have problems with their knees doing martial arts stuff !

Anyway - An Update :

This is my knee at the PSB. Ok, so that was months ago but I have only just downloaded the photos from the camera and got my brain together enough to post !

Since then I mostly ignored xmas (too much stress to get 'organised') but I think the results are worth it - I have surged into the new year feeling the best I have in years - I have found another group of friends and apart from sleeping too much, I am in a very positive frame of mind.

I had basically written off skiing this season, BUT I decided to at least go and hang-out in the pool/sauna/bar at the MSB. But this made me lazy with the rehab and even the NHS physio put be back to every 2 or 3 weeks. Then as my leg got stronger and I discussed it with the physio, I decided to aim for some limited sliding at MSB.

I still dont know how realistic or even sensible this is, and I will need to talk with my surgeon early Feb to get his view (probably a little vague from past experience).

I will purchase a leg brace (ouch-pennies) and be careful about my terrain selection and particularly how tired the muscles get - this is critical apparently as my nice strong muscley bits will be critical in offloading the new ligament. This will apply in normal skiing and be critical in any fall. No mougls or surprises under soft snow for me Sad

I am now back to weekly sessions at the hospital, I have been out on my bike and I have been doing lots of stuff on the stairs at home. The only thing I am ashamed of is that I have not been doing enough on my hamstrings. My left one is still very weak but no longer painful, but that in itsself deters me from lying on my back on the floor to do the excercises. (that, and I notice that I need to hoover which bugs me) (I also found someone had stuck chewing gum under my coffee table - yeugh)

The scar is fading so it has less of an effect when I flash it about. ho hum.

R
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lampbus, well done sir and at least you found my chewing gum Laughing wink

Be great to see you at MSB - have you got your flights sorted ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lampbus, good stuff.

Get stuck into the hamstring work.

Sadly neither Fastman nor I will be at the MSB to ski with you - but I'm sure you will have fun. Remember to take it easy - it is not a contest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahh, the classic ACL reconstruction. brings back a lot of memories. I also totally snapped my ACL back in 2000 after a fairly nasty rocking accident. I had the reconstruction 6 months later after working very hard on trying to gain as much range of movement with the knee before surgery as I was told that that would greatly increase the recovery time after surgery and keep the knee and leg muscles as strong as possible during rehabilitation after surgery - very good advice as it turned out.

10 months after surgery I was back in the mountains leading a mountaineering expedition to climb Aconcagua in South America with my new "bionic" knee that honestly felt and even looked much stronger than my non-bionic knee ebfore the accident.

For those of you who worry about not been able to ski of carry on living an active lifestyle; I can honestly say that ever since the surgery I have never had any problems with my very active mountaineering and ice climbing pursuits as well as my equal passion for skiing.

The only piece of advice that I will give anyone who has had knee reconstructive surgery is to ALWAYS make sure that you keep your leg muscles, especially the hamstring and calf muscles, as strong and as flexible as possible and you should have no problem living an active lifestyle.

I'm sure that in later life I may suffer from arthritis or something but certainly for the foreseeable future I will carry on enjoying my love of the mountains.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That should have read rock climbing accident and not "rocking" accident.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lampbus,

Fingers crossed for the MSB.

If you restrict yourself to gentle terrain as you suggest, I might even be able to follow you around - at a discreet distance, of course - and learn a thing or two Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Lampbus,

Bindings ... I bust my ACL once and got that fixed but then the next year twisted my knee badly - both times in Marker bindings on my Volkl 4*s so it's interesting to hear that you bust yours the one day you were not wearing the same binding. I stopped trusting them after the second injury but deep down I know the injury was due to skiing slower than walking and so when I fell there was no power to rip the ski off. I have to confess I do feel a lot more confident now I have changed my skis though and I try to never ski slowly Very Happy

I hope the recovery is going well - keep up the physio!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cp1000, interesting, it is the marker bindings on my 5* that i trust - the rental off piste skis had some other make on I think.
snow report
Hornster wrote:
That should have read rock climbing accident and not "rocking" accident.

I'm so disappointed that excessive AC/DC can't cause spontanteous ACL destruction.

Keep up the good work lampbus. Keen to know when it feels "right" again.
latest report
Here's a followup after some extensive snow-trials of the rebuild :

I had pottered about a a slow pace for 2 days on the MSB in March 08. Short (140) skis set to DIN 4 and no problems. Then somtime in late summer I went to Castleford and throw some proper skis about on 'normal' DIN and no problem except possibly a tiny bit of swelling deep inside somwhere.

Then in mid December I went to Tignes for 3.5 days skiing. I had been a bit(lot) lazy with the physio so about 3 weeks before I drew up a incentive schedule and ticked off excercises as I did them each day. THis seems to have worked very well - I had very little problems with strength but my cardio-vascular was a bit lacking. The skiing mostly involved off piste powder turns and my knee largely did what it is meant to with little complaint.

After a four day whirlwind return to the UK, I got myself out to Zermatt for 7.5 days of skiing. There was not much fresh snow to be had and much time was spent at speed on pistes and down itineries. The pistes were firm and fun, the itineries were firm and massivly mougled. There were some nice pockets of almost powder and plenty pf plates of windslab/crust. But how did my knee hold up?

Well, it's still connected I think, but I did get some twinges of pain in the heavier of mougl manouveres. As a result it has swolen up a bit and continues to be uncomfortable about the house or when driving (clutch pedal leg) from time to time.

My 'other' knee also complained a bit too, so it may just be that I overdid the mougl-the-size-of-matterhorns using 177 freeride skis a bit much.
snow report
lampbus, "it may just be that I overdid the mougl-the-size-of-matterhorns using 177 freeride skis a bit much." Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Just possibly.
snow conditions
I have had ACL reconstructions in both knees. They'll almost always give you a bit of trouble when skiing especially after a long day. But you do learn to cope with it until you hardly notice. I had my last one done 9 years ago now and skied on it for the last 7.
ski holidays
lampbus,

Good news.

I'm sure you are painfully Embarassed aware that it's amost two years since that horrid day on the Lauberhorn - I still wince when I think about it so I can only guess what you feel.

Great to hear you're back in the groove.
snow report
As this has been x linked I thought I'd just add that seeing lampbus skiing at Hemel the other week you'd never have guessed he'd had any knee problems. He looked pretty confident (& fast) on the whitedot ones & some other mid wide skis IIRC.
latest report
Thanks fatbob, I ended up on the Volkl Mantras and felt totally at home. I should have popped back on the White Dots at the end when I was loosened up for a proper comparison.

I did get a teeny bit of mild inflamation after 4 hours in the 'fridge, but it went away again quickly.
snow conditions
Interesting blog.

I ruptured my right ACL on March 15th 2009 whilst racing motocross and had reconstruction surgery on 24th April 2009.

I have worked quite hard at my physio but suffered knee cap pain which prevented my fully loading my knee. I've since had this cured and am now pretty much doing everything I need to. I go to the gym, play badminton and squash (badly) although the later can cause me a little inflamation.

I've booked to go to Serre Chevalier on March the 20th 2010 (12 months after the injury and 11 months after surgery) and hope I don't suffer to much discomfort. I've got it in my head i'll not be doing much more than blue runs and skidding my turns rather than carving....but I'd sooner that than not go at all. If I can carve red then all is good.

I'm planning on buying my own skis and boots. I don't know anything about bindings, but is there anything I can tell the ski shop regading my ACL?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 11-01-10 22:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
lampbus, I read your stuff last year when I had my accident in Avoriaz in Feb 2009 and it was very helpful and it's good to hear an update. I ruptured the ACL and MCL in my left knee and MCL in my right knee. My MRI showed the ACL was intact so I went down the rehab route for several months until it became apparent it really was shot and then I had ACL reconstruction before Christmas. I am now 5 weeks post op, it is slow going but I really can measure the progress almost on a daily basis. I am still living and breathing skiing and it's always on my mind, my goal is to ski again as my kids will be 3 and 5 come 2011 and I am desperate to get them on the slopes. Pottering around with the kids would be great, not sure how I will handle it if I am not strong enough to ski off piste as that is what it's all about for me but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! Smile
ski holidays
lampbus, What a coincidence this thread has resurfaced...I was just looking at your photos again here last night, comparing wounds!! Have to say yours looks far worse, I don't seem to have any bruising or staples Shocked
ski holidays
R32, It's bizarre how different it is for everyone, I had virtually no pain right after the op and minimal bruising but then about a week later it was picking big time for about 2 days - my next door neighbour took my staples out!
snow conditions
My physio keeps telling me that everyone heals differently to ACL reconstruction.

Gsyfreerider, interesting to say you can feel it improve daily. I only removed my knee brace after 6 weeks, I had to wear that 24 hours a day to allow my meniscus heal. For a long time I was my daily exersices and I remember thinking to myself "is this ever going to get better, and stop hurting".

I've still got 2 months to see a bit more improvement before skiing.
snow conditions
dave_m, After I had the accident I had braces on both knees (much to the amusement of my mates who kept shouting 'Run Forrest'), and then when I got back home I was in brace on my left knee for about 6 weeks as well. I just presumed after my ACL op that I would be in a brace but they didn't bother. I asked my physio about it the other day and he just said it was at the discretion of the surgeon. I'm glad actually I really felt at the time it held me back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gsyfreerider, I'm almost exactly a month behind you with both my injury and operation! I had it done on Tuesday and have had very little pain so far....so tomorrow it's going to start hurting I guess!!! I have steri-strips so will not have to ask the neighbour for any help Shocked No brace for me either.
snow report
Gsyfreerider, R32, good luck in the rehab guys, did mine last season, had the op at the end of March and skied 6 days in Nendaz just before Xmas (piste only and nothing silly!). Work hard at the rehab and you'll be back before you know it. Looking forward to my next outing with confidence now snowHead
snow report
kristof, Thanks. I'm aiming to be skiing at Christmas, so I'm going to work really, really hard!! Pleased yours went so well Very Happy
ski holidays
I went to physio today and she has given me a bunch of hoping and jumping exersices, maily side to side.

She still thinks I need to increase my quads, so I've also got a few things to do there.
ski holidays
R32, think that's a good target to be honest. My doc was happy for me to be doing anything I wanted at 6 months but no contact sports or skiing until 9 months. I had slight issues with my patella tendon where they took the graft from but that actually feels better now because of the skiing. You can spend most of the summer on the bike which was one of the best things for me, helped keep me fit, built up the quads again and the constant movement is good to get rid of any stiffness and swelling. Getting those quads back is hard work but keep at it!
ski holidays
kristof, Yes, that's sounds about the same as what my consultant advised, he suggested cycling too in the summer but he wasn't too keen on me going downhill mountain biking in LDA, so it looks like I need to buy a normal bike now rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
..and he's right. The first time you lose your front end and stamp your foot down will cause you pain for weeks!
latest report
dave_m, Ouch!!
ski holidays
R32, Yeah I am aiming to go just before Christmas, my physio is saying a year for the rehab because much as if things go well you can be in good nick after 7 months or so they really like you to push on and get into really top shape, that's fine with me I'm not going to push my luck. My missus who doesn't ski says she wants me to have a couple of weekends first just to get back into the groove and spend time with an instructor to get my confidence back so that's at least two trips I can look forward to then!! I don't think you competing in the Avalanche trophy is the way forward I think your consultant is right on that one! Toofy Grin I am planning to walk around the Island for 'Charidee' in June which is about 43 miles and with loads of cliff paths and steps so that should get the quads firing.
snow conditions
Gsyfreerider, I suppose it's only a year and I suppose a few weekends skiing first would mean that you couldn't overdo it. We're going to LDA over Easter and it's going to be really hard not skiing, but apparently easiski has arranged an 'injured-skiers' group!! I'm seeing the Physiotherapist tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to move on to Stage 2 of rehab! Good luck on the charity walk and keep me updated.
snow report
R32, I'm thinking of going to Chamonix in May Day Bank when I normally finish my season but this time just to do some biking, walking and lots of eating - but it is going to very strange going to a resort and not skiing. Interesting what you said about Easiski, Wozza Smith did a 'Back from injury course' in Verbier but judging by the fact he hasn't done another one I presume it wasn't popular. Be interested to know what she has got planned.
latest report
Gsyfreerider, No, it's not an actual skiing group...just that someone else is injured and unable to ski....so we'll be able to sit at a mountain restaurant drinking hot chocolate & Baileys and watch!! But I do think an actual skiing after injury course sounds like a good idea.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy