Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise Bikes

Poster: A snowHead
Bought an ex-gym bike which is installed in my living room--but I can't get motivated to get on it most days.--Though I have promised myself to do 20 minutes each day to keep the fitness I have acquired this summer--(and have felt so well as a result)--but that was from purposeful outdoor biking.
Any suggestions as to how to make it seem less boring--apart from playing music, or imagining I am cycling outdoors? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It IS boring. You can distract yourself with music or movies (I like wuxia for on the bike) only so far. Best way to stay with it is to drop the generic '20 minutes a day' ambition and to figure out a more structured 9, 10, 12, 16-week program so that you can track your progress. You won't see any progress 'til 5 weeks is past anyway, so better make it worth while, no lukewarm half measures.

Other things to do:

pedal one-legged one mile at a time, trying to maintain your previous average speed, switch legs

try to get a higher cadence without rocking the hips. 120 not a challenge? Try 150. Try 180rpm

focus on the different ways to use the various muscles in the legs. See if you can get speed out of the adductors.

stand up to spin at 90 rpm. 100 rpm. 110rpm. 120 rpm. Let go the handlebar with one hand

play 'rip the bars off the bike' by pulling up whilst smashing the foot down

imagine that you're dancing a jig and kick the heels up, using that as a power stroke

play 'rip the pedals off the bike' by pulling back on the pedals at the bottom of the stroke without holding on to the bars, like scraping gum off a shoe

play 'kickboxing hero' by trying to kick forward through the top of the stroke.

Oh, Spinervals make videos.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 6-11-07 22:27; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spin til you puke.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
While I've never been able to persuade myself that there's a point in running on a treadmill or riding a bike that doesn't move when there's "all that out there", get yourself some sort of training DVD that uses Spin. Spin can help pass the time, and it can be bloody hard, unless you're one of the housewives who go to my gym's Spin classes just for the gossip - how anyone can spend 45 minutes in such a session and not break a sweat is beyond me.
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
Put a big screen in front with a moving scenery so it makes it more interesting... Laughing

Or even better, because its so boring, get one that will move its self, put the setting on something only quite fast and just leave it going during the night while you sleep! Laughing NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get a fixed gear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will Stanton, what's that gonna do for her? Get a fixed gear with lights, vertical dropouts and mudguards.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Exercise bikes are extremely boring and there really is nothing you can do about it. 30 mins seems like 30 hours. I love real biking outdoors, but the indoor bike machine is my last resort for training.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I enjoy spinning a lot. It's great practice for mountain biking, and I find it really motivating.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, about which axis?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If x is up, and y is along, then it would have to be the z axis. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman wrote:
Kramer, about which axis?
Of Revolution, I expect.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I'm just going to use my will power and do 15 minutes morning and 15 minutes evening--maybe get into some sort of trance while doing it?
Maybe just having made my intention"public" I'll have to do it! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julieanne <sigh> not much point to us writing is there? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, oh but yes-- I do appreciate all your suggestions! May try some of them too! wink
ski holidays
Julieanne, I gave up and bought a real bike Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno wrote:

And we are waiting for the thread where you ask for motivation to start using it. NehNeh
ski holidays
spin classes are the best way to get through 45 mins of exercise bike.. being told what to do and when makes it easier..
cycling and rowing both benefit from having machines and can do a reasonable replication of the real thing but allow you to work at a higher intensity for longer.. both boring as you lik ethough..
snow report
Julieanne, get chore self a heart rate moniter. Cheap as chips these days. Then u can think up some variations on the excercise routine.

Also rig up a TV and fan so you can at least watch something while you're at it and not drip onto the carpet at the same time.

And DO IT!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Julieanne, if you have a favourite 30 min soap - only allow yourself to watch it if you are cycling at the same time.

Kramer, there is a girl at my gym who gets on the rower and does about 10 mins rowing in a style that you might see if someone was lazily rowing to a picnic. I peaked over her shoulder the other day, and at the end of the 10 mins she had burned 42 calories - I can't really understand the point of her coming to the gym.
snow conditions
Nick L, I like the ones who are on the stepper taking microscopic steps at a very fast rate. rolling eyes
snow report
I'd disagree about watching telly whilst you train. I think that it has a tendency to make you slack a bit. A bit of good old fashioned hard house is a far better motivator.
snow report
Kramer, that's where the HRM kicks in - keep cadence around 90rpm and heart rate just above "too hard".
snow report
Nick L wrote:
Julieanne, if you have a favourite 30 min soap - only allow yourself to watch it if you are cycling at the same time.

That's given me an idea! I definitely don't watch soaps--but I do like an early morning chat/news program--so I shall try to move my bike (which is big and heavy..) into the bedroom (where my TV is)---and so I'll get my exercising combined with some mental stimulation .... rolling eyes
latest report
IncogSkiSno wrote:

Yes, strange as it may seem, I do have a real bike as well. But I don't ride it on the roads in London (too dangerous) and it is only allowed on designated paths (which don't connect with each other) in the large open space near where I live. So that's why an indoor bike seemed a good alternative for regular use.
latest report
i have just done a spin class.. very good instructor but does insist on euro pap techno beat music.. at mind numbing!!
the best song i have heard for spinning is an intrumental version of town called malice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy