Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Six ski poles compared

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This little review of six new ski pole designs, from the American Ski Magazine might be of interest if you're thinking of upping sticks for this winter.

Unfortunately the photo is a bit 'creative' and not too descriptive, but the text gives a bit of useful info.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Come on now. Do poles actually matter that much?? Do they make a difference? I mostly use mine for defending my place in lift queues!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to think not (when I didn't really use them for much!), but when I was in Tahoe for a few days and didn't take my own skis and (ali) poles, I rented some carbon ones with the skis and they felt much better.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had some Goode? poles for several years now and they're great, just a little harder to use them to open ski bindings because they flex so much

A general bit of advice when buying expensive poles get a spare set of baskets or two at the same time so when they get damaged you can replace them
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My poles were chosen based on a desperate hunt for cheap ones when I managed to snap one off under a chair lift! Embarassed I picked up a pair of Scott poles for less than £20 in resort and they're great!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lets develop into "how do you break yours?"

My experience was on a warm day down an icy and fast schuss. My coat was only loosely fastened with Velcro and blew open at the mighty speed I was going. I instinctlvely dropped a hand to fasten it and caught the pole on the ice. It nearly sent me flying in a most spectacular way!

Another favourite spot for pole breaking is on the chair up to the blacks above Ciel Alto (???) at Cervinia. The chair goes over a little hump just before the end and any sticking down are most efficiently snapped. I think that chair might have been designed by the ski shop!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish, by snapping off the bottom part of the plastic ferrule that holds the basket onto carbon pencil poles (Scott, Leki, Karbon, Gabel all at least once). Generally never even notice they're gone until you try to push off and one is shorter than the other Shocked .

Fortunately Leki sells a replacement. With a 13cm wide webbing-reinforced basket, just right for tree wells Wink .

Some older Scott grips tend to shred at the palm grip area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got some Salomon Scream poles for about 30euros-wrongly priced I think!!!! But they are excellent poles.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy