Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keep Fit prep for this season

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, What is everyone doing to prepare for the ski season, keep fit wise.

As a starter....

2 visits to the Gym each week, 10 min bike, 15 min cross trainer, 20 hill run, weights for hamstrings, quads and some toning for upper body. Plently of abs work too.
Play sport at the week end.

Hope to step it up to 3 times a week soon and mix in some out door running.

Bod
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This article posted up today by Competitor Magazine seems quite interesting for pre-season strength work.

I recently bought a bike - first time I've done so for about 20 years - and find it's excellent for working out the legs while doing trips I used to do by car. Modern bikes are such nice machines to use, with the index gears and excellent brakes etc. - and fantastic value compared to ski hardware! For under £300 I got a Claud Butler Voyager, British made, Shimano components and aluminium frame. Very pleased indeed with it.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-11-04 0:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find a bike is the best training myself, but I admit I don't like gyms. I'm basically lazy, but on a bike I can actually go somewhere, which makes it more fun.
To train I ride up Highgate Hill (twice) each evening, unless I've done a good ride already. (Not the most direct route at first). I started 2 weeks ago(first ski 8 weeks from now). Plus a few exercises to get more supple (necessary at my age!)
Mind you, out skiing I find the bigest demand on fitness isn't the skiing but the longer walks up carrying skis to find good off-piste.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 18-11-04 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm also a cycling fan for general fitness. That and swimming are 2 great low impact sports and you can tailor the effort to suit your degree of fitness without much risk of injury or over-cooking things. Swimming lengths is boring - no getting away from that. But biking (real stuff - not a static machine) is fun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with kuwait ian. I spend a lot of time on my bike, but also run a bit, swim a bit, and do some weights. Cycling gives me the same type of buzz as skiing, which motivates me more than doing the other stuff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bike and swim, and agree with kuwait_ian, about swimming. It is, very.

I do find, however, that swimming is much more tiring that biking (no downhill bits in a swimming pool), so it's probably better exercise.

What do the fitness experts out there say about cycling? Does it exercise the muscles we use for skiing ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try swimming backstroke - gives you something to think about. How far is it to the end of the ......

bonk.

John Wells is one of our regular posters on fitness and exercise regimes - perhaps he can answer ski's question?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian, I like that - mine is usually 'I'm not there ye...bonk!'
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK bored kuwait_ian, andski, try this!
200m warm up....varied strokes(IM ideal!)
8 x 25m underwater....set your own time.
Pyramid....200m(freestyle), 30secs rest, 150m, 20secs rest, 100m, 15secs, 50, 10secs, 100m, 15secs, 150m 20secs, 200m
8 x 50m kick 1' 10" per 50
8 x 50 pull 1'00, breathing every 3rd stroke on the first/second fifty, then every fifth, then every seventh, then every ninth. OK?!
4 x 100m swim 2'00"...whichever stroke you favour.
2 x 50m dash....all out! rest of 3' between.
200m cool down.

To be swum at least twice a week with lots of variations. Enjoy Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac46, by 'kick' I assume you mean legs only and 'pull' = arms only? I reckon I'd need oxygen lowering the breathing rate as much as that. Wink
An interesting routine - and definitely one to keep the little grey cells working snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mac46, I think my crib sheet would get a bit soggy. Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stand up on the bus everyday trying to hang on with one handle - improves your balance no end!

Drink too much - but dance it off, dont smoke but inhale everyone elses unwillingly, End up walking home after half the time - v v far - especially in 3in heels- that burns double the calories.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-11-04 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not that I'm particularly good at following my own advice, but isn't the easiest thing to stay fit over the summer rather than getting fit for the winter?

I find inline skating really effective - you're using much of the same muscle groups and it's a very effective, low impact workout. It's also really good for your balance - as you're having to remain upright on a 30cm lever rather than 170cm.

And checking against my heart rate mon, I find I'm naturally interval training while skating so 30 mins scooting at high, entertaining speed around Hyde Park is worth way more than 50 mins running home from work.

That said, it's kind of tricky in the rain...slicks all round

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 19-11-04 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, getting rid of the car entirely helps with the riding of the bicycle to work and with the running everywhere to else!

Not so good for the getting to airports tho.....

I belong to an amature rowing club, which is fantastic training for skiing - same muscle groups and balance required. Off season training now, so = Sat 1hr session on the river. Sun 10km run. Mon easy run or cardio 25mins + gym weights. Tues 4000m on rowing machine + 45min circuit. Wed 5km run or 45 min gym cardio (includes 20min on rowing machine) + yoga. Thur gym weights. Fri .... nice big glass of oaked Chardonnay!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like to be very fat and lazy until 6 weeks before my trip and then do an hour a day in the gym for 5 days a week with Sat & Sun recovering. Last year I only had 4 weeks due to a very bad back and still had a great Hol. I have 1 bad knee and 1 very bad knee, both have osteo-arthritis. If they are very tired then I knock off early, if visibilty is bad and the fresh snow deep, then I read a book. I bet this sounds crap for a lot of people, but I LOVE my ski hols. I think fitness needs depend on the level of sking you wish to achieve.
latest report
Quote:

fitness needs depend on the level of sking you wish to achieve

Or the amount of drinking, eating, and general enjoyment of creature comforts you wish to achieve BEFORE leaving for your holiday!!!! Wink

Mr M's a chef - for me trying to keep a strict training diet is a complete a***e!
snow report
Exercise every other day to allow the micro tears in the muscles to repair.
30 minutes on an elliptical trainer split 15 mins low resistance high speed, the second 15 minutes at high resistance.

I then concentrate on core work with sit ups and free weights for 2 sets of 20 reps with 6 different exercises.

Upper body free weight work with low weights ( high weights build muscle mass which I don't want).

Leg work with ankle weights about 3 kg (straight leg lifts 3 sets of 15)
knee flexing with 3 kg weights on ankles 3 sets of 30.

I then do some flexibility and stretching work from an exercise list I got from the SCGB in 1986.

I am now in better shape physically than I have been for 15 years.
snow report
I agree with the cycling and swimming in as much as I find the swimming boring so I get out on the mountain-bike as much as possible. This involves mountain-biking weekends (and possibly a week's cycling holiday too) throughout the year and, when there's enough light, cycling most evenings for a couple of hours. When the evenings draw in I get back down the gym for 1.5 to 2 hour sessions 4 to 5 times a week. These involve weights on all the different groups (on a day on 2 days off basis) followed by about an hour of cv (rowers, cycles, elliptical runners, etc). That said, I have just got into doing night rides on the mountain-bike. Looks like it could be a wet and muddy one tonight though rolling eyes
Alternatively, there's always walking - off to North Wales this weekend for a bit of scrambling/walking around Snowdon. Should be fun. Smile
snow conditions
I've just signed back up at the gym again. So-hopefully, swimming a couple of times a week, 2 Pilates classes, and then a circuit on the gym equipment a couiple of times too. Have a copy of the Bodydoctor fitness program that my sister doesn't use, so might try that.
snow conditions
2 x yoga classes (plus couple of home sessions), 1 x pilates class, 1 x aerobics class, walk everywhere I can as fast as I can, never use a lift and trot upstairs two at a time (I work in a 7 storey building). Can't run or cycle for more than a few minutes at a time because of a back injury. Might start to up it a bit as I've only got 5.5 weeks left but that lot seems to keep me fit enough, I'll find out when I get back on the slopes!
latest report
I found that cycling will increase your Cardio Vascular fitness, but won't improve your skiing muscles.

I used to play Rugby when I started skiing and found that skiing, as it took place mid-season, wasn't too hard physically. When I stopped playing and took up cycling my CV fitness increased a lot, muscle size reduced and so I lost weight, but I found skiing MUCH harder even though I was fitter and trained more often. I'd guess swimming would have much the same results.

Now I just increase the ammount of running I do in my usual fitness regime for a couple of months before I go and that seems to work wonders. Sorry, no magic wand - just get running.
snow report
If you are doing no skiing at all during the summer and autumn, the amount of fitness you do will only have a limited effect on your skiing as you are not likely to use the muscles in the same way as skiing. As well as keeping fit and strength training, I would recommend skiing on plastic, or at a snowdome on a regular basis. Perhaps even having some lessons or join a local club and do some race training!
snow report
philbski1, which club do you belong to?
ski holidays
Similar to Marc Gledhill re rugby.

Currently training for a site race we have at work. 16 minutes flat out, with a good stretch afterwards, three times a week.

Fantastic effect for less than an hour a week. Having more effect than slower five mile runs were.

I think I'd find drinking less beer would help too but what can I do, I'm a man and drinking beer is compulsory.

If it wasn't for that I'd have the body of a Greek god, again.

latest report
Mark Hunter, I currently coach at Hemel and run an alpine racing club.
ski holidays
I bike raced a few years back and have done triathlons and half marathons to a reasonable club level.

I can honestly say that I was strongest on the piste when i was doing a lot of cycling, by that i mean 200 miles per week.

For a measurable increase in fitness levels get a heart rate monitor and stick to your relevant thresholds even if they seem too low for a week or so, trust me it will sort itself out, this is if you are jogging or prefer cycling.

If you want to do gym work, speak to a member of staff at the relevant establishment.

I row these days on a concept II 5000m a pop from time to time and yes it improves your CV fitness but I'm not convinced on it building leg strength for days on end of skiing.

Bottom line is anything is better than nothing to prepare for the shock on the ageing joints of a weeks skiing with a hangover. Toofy Grin
snow report
Has anyone tried the 'Skiers Edge' equipment ?
snow report
I would make a distinction between a recreational activity which has a fitness benefit and exercise focussed on effective fitness improvement.

Most of the forms of exercise being quoted in this thread I would classify as recreation. Yes, they will improve your fitness; the downside is that they take quite a lot of time, they physically stress the body more than is necessary for the fitness improvement gained and they are not very efficient. However for some people this may be the only option if they are adverse to gyms and get bored by pure exercise.

Recreational exercise is certainly better than nothing; I would suggest that the intensity should be kept as high as possible for the best fitness gains and, as has been mentioned, rest on alternate days. If I remember correctly even the official suggestions for training for the London Marathon had running five days a week but alternate days at a relatively low intensity.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With regard to the article in The Competotor Magazine quoted by David Goldsmith, I wish that fitness and sport professionals would stop advocating the exercise ball. This is a piece of apparatus which requires good form as incorrect use is hazardous. With home use and the the fairly universal tendency only to read instructions if you cann't make it work, people run too high a risk of injury. The exercise ball should only be used under supervision or after adequate instruction.
snow conditions
Just started in the gym, plan to go every morning if I can get up. Fourth day and suprisingly enjoying it Confused

10 Minute Run, 10 Mins on the Bike and 10 Mins Rowing, too many sit ups and stretching. Will build up to 20 mins a day dont want to go overboard as the other training in the bar at night is a good session readying myself for apres ski.
snow conditions
People gave me lots of good advice

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3096

which I am following dilegently.

(by following i mean "doing nothing")
latest report
Well, last year I tried a bit of running, then two days before departure felt my back a little sore; the following morning couldn't get out of bed or walk. Spent the holiday spaced out on painkillers.

This year I have tried cycling, fell off the bike and am currently nursing two sore knees, one of which is still red and swollen.

Might train solely for the apres skiing in the pub next year Crying or Very sad
latest report
john wells, if we'ra all doing it wrong what do you suggest? As I am just about to comence my fitness programme suggestions would be welcome.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I would stop short of saying that snowheads are exercising incorrectly, horses for courses and all that, but there are more efficient ways of exercising if the intention is to get fit for skiing and if you are short of time as most people are nowadays.

For recreational skiing I would consider that muscle strength and endurance are the most important aspects. Both types of training will pick up some cardiovascular benefit also but predominantly the endurance training.

Muscle strength is easy - one set training to failure within two minutes per exercise using slow controlled movements with good form; whole body training, 8 to 12 exercises in total per session; rest for at least the next 48 hours but for some this may be as long as 4 or 5 days. this is high intensity training and the last part of each exercise hurts but this is only for a very short time.

Muscle endurance training for the last 1 to 2 months - interval training of some type in which the exerciser is crossing the anaerobic threshold - again high intensity and it hurts - 20 to 30 minutes 3 times a week - use exercises which include the quads; steppers or elliptical trainers are good.

You can go directly to the endurance training which has a strength improvement component but the strength gain will be less than pure strength training and it is more difficult to do whole body training. High intensity is important if you want to keep the time short - adequate rest is equally important..

If you are just starting training and have less than 2 months to go, you can combine strength training and endurance training. Do both in the same session, strength training first - you will be hitting your body reserves harder so adequate rest and recovery is even more important - at least one day between sessions but two days might be better.

Whole body training but specific muscle groups to include quads, hamstrings, adductors, abductors, triceps and lats. Probably lower leg also if you can find the equipment.

I would advocate using a gym and machines unless you are experienced as this is the safest way but don't allow the instructor to bully you into fast movements with weights or multiple sets. The experience of T-Bar is not uncommon and it is silly injuring yourself when trying to get fit for skiing.
latest report
john wells, I am very inpressed that you are familiar with the Ken Hutchins SuperSlow System. I am a believer!

I go to the gym every 5th day for about 40-50min. I have been using this system to exercising for over a year and am very happy with the results. I strength trained for many years using the traditional gym routine of multiple sets. I can honestly say that the one set to failure approach is giving me better results in less time. Skiing was easy for me last season (including a 17 day trip to Colarado with only one rest day), even though I had spent less time preparing for it. Before the skiing season starts I do hill running intervals and balancing exercises (I agree, most people do not know how to use a Swiss Ball correctly) in between the strength training days.
latest report
BTW Kieser Training in London (Mornington Crescent and Fulham) uses a very similar approach. they do a free demo session. worth doing even if you then join another gym.
snow conditions
snowman, brilliant, if we all shout about this long enough we may even educate the general public and the fitness industry eventually. Between the two clubs we have 43 pieces of MedX equipment which we had to ship in from the States and we insist on slow controlled movements with good form on these machines. Some use the Nautilus protocols, some use the SuperSlow protocols and some use Bob Sikora's protocols which are a variation of SuperSlow.
ski holidays
snowman, yep, Kieser is the other user of MedX equipment in the UK. Kieser has a chain of clubs on the continent and manufactures MedX equipment under licence. Both of us are basically following the MedX guidelines as originally laid down by Arthur Jones and his associates. Ken Hutchins worked for Arthur Jones at Nautilus as did Bob Sikora. The best show case for MedX equipment is in Gainsville in Florida where Joe Cirulli runs one of the best Health Clubs in the world.
latest report
Just a thought, but surely most people just want to get more out of their skiing (ski for longer, etc)?
If they can achieve that by methods they enjoy rather than extensive structured programmes which are starting to sound rather complex and more applicable to athletes, then I would have thought it is a good thing.
Personally, I enjoy skiing and want to enjoy it as much as I can. BUT, I don't want to spend a lot of time doing things I don't enjoy in order to get more out of it. That's why I spend the rest of the year doing other things I enjoy (mountain-biking, walking, running). If things stop being fun, I just won't do them.
These methods may not be the most efficient there are but I still managed the whole season 2003/04 skiing first lift to last lift virtually every day (the only rest days were to change resorts).
Whatever works for you, as long as you are still enjoying it.
snow report
I'm a bit confused. In my circuit/strength training I go for the fast, heavy, mulitiple (3) sets routine.

Should that in fact be a lighter, slower, single set (for as long as I can)?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy