Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitness goals 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure whether this may have been done already in the resolutions thread, but it may be useful to have them seperate so that we can check on our progress over the year.

I'll start. My three main fitness goals this year are-

To be able to row 10000 metres on the concept two.

To be able to run 5000 metres at an average speed of 12kph.

To be able to bench press my own bodyweight.

Seperate from those, but a consequence of them, I'd like to lose another stone, and get my waist (not trouser size!) down to 34 inches.

At the moment I can row 8500 metres, and run 4000 metres at 10.5kph. I can bench press 70kg which is someway short of my current bodyweight, however if I managed to lose another stone it should make it a bit easier to achieve.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, if you lost another stone, you'd blow away in a puff of wind Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, I don't know what drives you, but if it comes in a bottle please send me some!! Good luck with your resolutions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A couple of years ago I was 2 stones heavier than i am now, couldn't run for a bus without hyperventilating and had one skinny arm (a left over from a bad injury when i was a kid).

I'm now thinner, fitter and stronger and have become a "gym obsessive".

My goals for this year are:

1. Get my body fat percentage down below 20%

2. Improve my running... I have a good level of all round fitness, but for some reason still struggle with running. I ran the Manchester 10k and nearly died... I'd like to be able to run that kind of distance comfortably. At the moment I'm comfortable upto about 5k, then things start to go wayward.

3. Pull-Ups and Push-Ups - I've gone from not being able to do a single one of either to be able to do about 5 full pull-ups and 20 proper press-ups (proper mens ones, not girlie "on your knees" ones). I'd like to double these counts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, I've got one goal - London Marathon in 4hrs 08 on 13/4/08.
Now you may ask why 4.08?

Simple answer: every other Olympic distance I can run under twice the world record, and the current Marathon World Record is 2.04.

I'm not sure that I'll achieve it however Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick L, If you run the whole distance without walking you stand a good chance of doing 4hr 8mins. this is 9.5 mins per mile which is a very slow running pace.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good luck to you all with your goals, this is one of the most important things in training, setting REALISTIC and achievable goals Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, thanks for reminding me.

I'd like to be able to do one unassisted pull up.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I want to be able to do kung fu and improve on the little I know as this helps my fitness.
Wall sit for longer, I can do a minute at the moment.
Generally get fitter so i can climb Steep Hill in one go without dieing, and get stronger so I can climb a less pathetic rock climbing grade.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(1) Win a GS race in Megève in March (2nd earlier this month)

(2) Not be last in a 1.2 mile sea-swimming race in Greece in July

(3) Beat my (older but lighter) brother on bike climbs in Northern Ireland in June (it was about 50:50 last year - I have the power edge but will need to lose weight!)

(4) Get back to last year's 5 mile / 40 min pace at running.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My only aim is to keep pace with laundryman, and his brother from Portrush to Ballycastle this June. (It gets very hilly beyond Ballycastle)

They are very fit compared to me, so my plan is to give them loads of whiskey the night before.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm, I obviously lack ambition....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll give it a go as well then:

2.4km in under 10 mins.
Run 3.6km comfortably (if not especially fast).
25m sprint sub 4 secs. (Set by someone else for me).
Get my sit-ups back to 40+.*
Up my press-ups from 35 to 50+.*
Shift some of the gut. Although for me, weight/gut is a distant second to fitness.

*Using timed audio marks (similar to a bleep test). Got to be proper press-ups too; I can't believe women are allowed the namby pamby ones in the RN (come on, they weigh less AND they don't have to do as many... Evil or Very Mad oops, almost started a rant there).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My fitness goal is 14' by 40 - I'm currently 15' and 39 and 7 months!

If I acheive it I will naturally be fitter as I'll up my excercise and watch what I eat.

My caveat at to this is that if I feel fitter and healthy and can run more etc, I'm not to bothered about my weight
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to do the Wicklow Hills 100km cycle challenge on 8th June, and I will not be getting off me bike to walk AT ALL.

Ooh crikey. Now that it's in black and white I have to do it. You are my witnesses.

I'm not comitting to anything time-wise because I've never done anything exactly like this before with all those steep hilly roads. I have started training on the roads around East Lothian, but I think the highest point here is only half the height of Wicklow. I could just go up and down each hill here twice - that would work wouldn't it? I'm aiming to get up into the Pentlands when the weather gets a bit better or at least drier.

Maybe my goal should be to just brave whatever the weather can throw at me.

Next years goal will be to do the 200km challenge. maybe.
snow conditions
sheepmadang,

Maybe see you at the Wicklow. I'll attempt the 200 again and try and complete within 9 hours this year. Previous best was about 9.25, including stops. Here's hoping for good weather. The secret is consistent training between now and then (including some hills) and having sufficient gearing. I'll use a 48/32 and hope that I only need the 32 for Slieve Mann.
ski holidays
hilary t, eek - you're scaring me now. Shocked

I don't know what gearing I have. I don't know what that means. All I know is I used to have a rickety old bike and now I have new fast one that cost alot of money and the man at Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op said it would be fine. Is Slieve Mann only on the 200km route or will I encounter it on the 100km?

I will definitely be out cycling in all weathers from now till June.

I only started serious cycling about a year ago. Back then, I could only do about 10 miles at a time. Now I can do 50 miles no probs with some hills. Now, I just have to build up my hill work a bit more and that last 15 miles of distance. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can masticate!!!

Look out for a wee wummin on a pink bike. Laughing
latest report
sheepmadang, the 48 is the number of sprockets on the smallest front cog and the 32 is the number on the largest back cog. You want the first divided by the second to be as small as possible to get you up the steepest hills.
snow report
 brian
brian
I've signed up for a charity hillwalk thing doing all 9 of the Scottish 4000' mountains in a weekend, so I guess my ambition is to be able to walk at the end of it, or at least lift a pint. wink (One car journey allowed between the cairngorms and nevis, I may be daft but I'm not stupid !)
ski holidays
My target is to get myself fit enough (again) to do a MTB transalp from Garmisch down to Lago di Garda. If I follow the same trail as the transalp challenge race then that's ~600Km and 19600Hm in one week Shocked On second thoughts maybe I'll choose a slightly easier route Toofy Grin
ski holidays
once ski nis over im binning spinning and body pump and going back to rowing for the summer.. concept 2 here i come.. (i feel sick already just thinking about it).. 8,000m in 30 mins and sub 7 mins for 2,000m.. both of which im sure ill fail to achieve
latest report
Seeing over my belly to what's below. I can either lose some weight or respond to some of the tempting offers that come into my mailbox every day. Not sure which to try .
snow conditions
Complete my first Ironman distance tri. Roth. Worried? Yip of course I am. 5 months 2 weeks to go.......
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
My target is to get myself fit enough (again) to do a MTB transalp from Garmisch down to Lago di Garda. If I follow the same trail as the transalp challenge race then that's ~600Km and 19600Hm in one week Shocked On second thoughts maybe I'll choose a slightly easier route Toofy Grin

What like take the train? Wink
snow report
My goal is just to get ski-fit (pretty damn quick!) so my legs aren't killing me come the afternoon skiing (as they were the other week Sad ) I was hoping that my gernally good level of fitness would have been fine, but it wasn't.

So - I've joined a gym, close to work. I go three times a week BEFORE work Shocked Shocked - AND I got myself a personal trainer at the gym, who just happens to be a nice young CSIA qualified ski instructor! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Result! Feeling at the moment though as if I've been kicked in the ribs - we did a lot of abdominal exercises yesterday, plus rather nasty one-legged squats where the 'resting' straight leg is held sideways above the ground behind the supporting leg - oooh, that was tough. As was holding a squat position on the power platform - a thing that vibrates Shocked But I did manage to hold a plank for a minute which I thought was pretty good Little Angel . I could get very used to having a personal trainer...... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Going to the gym before work is great though I find - otherwise all day I think of excuses as to why it would be much better to go to the gym the next evening Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Don't have time to do that in the morning!
ski holidays
Kramer, what pace are you going for with the rowing? If you are cycling for 3-4 hours I am sure that you can row 10k. Technique is crucial and it is well worth looking at the Concept 2 website if you haven't already. You probably want to rate no more than 28 and probably 24-26 to let the "boat" run between strokes. If you are trying to do this in <40 mins and are already doing these kind of ratings please excuse me from stating the obvious. Embarassed
snow conditions
ianmacd, agree technique is very important, and something that I am lacking. At the moment I'm on about 8500 metres in 40 minutes, at the end I'm nearly puking, so first goal for me is to actually make it to 10000 metres. I'm also doing a few 250 metre sprint intervals to try and improve my technique. Thanks for the pointers, especially about looking on the website.

My relationship with the Concept 2 is probably best described as love/hate. wink
snow report
we can get a concept 2 thread going once the ski season is over..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CANV CANVINGTON, look forward to it. I reckon that the long slow pieces are best for working on technique and don't turn it up to 11...
snow conditions
ianmacd, im not even going to contemplate any sprint work untill at least 3 weeks of long slow getting back into the goove stuff
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

What like take the train? Wink
I'd look a bit silly riding my bike up and down the train. Or is that not what you meant Puzzled
snow conditions
sheepmadang, Slieve Mann is only on the 200 route. If you train consistently between now and then, you will have no problem. The crowds will drag you along as well. Good luck.
snow report
Well I've lost arround half the weight I'd like to loose so that's another 25kg or so to go, still on the plus side I'm apparently not human as thios is the only way the gym can explain how someone who appears to be as unfit as I can apparently get the sort of performance that I can achive e.g today despite still suffering from a cold and not doing any cv work I managed to lift 120,000kg and burn 1040 Kcal in arround 45 mins Shocked

As far as that bloody rowing machine goes I'm happy if I can do over 1100M in 5 mins, any longer than that and I want to die Embarassed
ski holidays
Hey what happened to this thread? How is everyone progressing so far?

I have been cycling the roads around the Lammermuir hills. That is SERIOUSLY hilly terrain - all up and down, up and down, up and down - good training for Wicklow I think.

3 weeks ago, I did 35 miles on these roads. However, I hit The Wall - emotionally and pysically - at 20 miles. It took me 3.5 hours to do the last 15 miles! And it took me 2 days to recover - again, both emotionally and physically.

Last Saturday, I managed 53 miles on the same roads. After that, I was fine - apart from the sunburn, from which I am still recovering.

There is one hill up from Gifford to Newlands Hill that keeps beating me, and I have to stop for a rest half way up. It reaches a height of 420m, and the goal now is to get to the top in one go. Then I will be ready for the Wicklow 100. Only 3 and half weeks to go tho.

My other goal is to stop getting lost - I was aiming to go to Oldhamstocks, and realised I was on the wrong road when I reached Cockburnspath rolling eyes
snow report
sheepmadang,
Well done, I can still not see over my belly. Hills knacker me on my bike, fortunately I live in one of the less lumpy bits of Scotland. I was out last weekend though and had to get off and push, must lose some weight. Embarassed
snow report
sheepmadang,
Quote:

Hey what happened to this thread? How is everyone progressing so far?

Well I still need to loose another 20Kg give or take a couple of kilos, oh and the concept II still wants to kill me but I'm getting there, I can with a bit of effort bench press about 80% of my bodyweight with multiple reps, oh and I've gone from 8Kg dumbells up to 16Kg dumbells when I do concentrations so I guess my biceps are improving. Must be actually because when I started doing assisted pullups I needed a 75Kg assist to do a set of 10 reps and I can now do the same (just) withonly a 40Kg assist.

I think I need to get out more and do some more walking/cycling to help with the weight loss, the musscle is there but especially round the stomach so's the fat Embarassed
snow conditions
sheepmadang, Good luck in wicklow try not to get distracted with the scenery God the crap of moving home and working in Dublin is worth it when I spend the weekends in Wicklow
snow report
I'm at 9816m in 40 minutes on the rower. Trying to get to 10000m in 40 minutes which would give a 2 minute 500m split average.

Did 6k at an average speed of 10.5kph on Monday.

Not sure about my bench press, as I'm doing endurance training at the moment.

Haven't managed to get out on the bike yet this year. Embarassed However have arranged a weeks mountain biking in Scotland in June. Very Happy
latest report
impressed with 40 mins on the rower. i've never managed much more than 20 before my ar5e goes numb Confused
snow report
Summer fitness started yesterday, light session in the gym before work (but aching already) and an hour on the bike from home (after work but no aches) riding along the sea front and up a few hills etc. i aim to do this (or a mixture of the two) 4 days a week and drop a stone in weight
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy