Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1650

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked today for 20th March.
What's it like? Can you point me in the direction of any decent bars etc.., and some decent gentle cruising ( my partner is a week 2 skier and needs some confidence!) How about recommendations for private lessons for her?
Help, advice etc greatly appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Peter - it's great Smile - I'd recommend the Bubble bar (english owned/run) and l'eterlou for food in 1650. Having 2 small children, what I know about night life after 11 o'clock can be written on a postage stamp (or something smaller) - I'm sure somebody will correct that omission. For lessons, I hear great things about Ski New Generation but have no personal experience of their lessons, children being loyal to Supreme at 1850. We've jsut bought a flat in 1650 (this is first season) so if you'd like any more info, just ask.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bubble and Zoo bars are the best bet. I've booked lessons with New Gen for my week up there next month (week before you). Their website is http://www.skinewgen.com/ and although they're not cheap, they've come highly recommended (by another ski school I've used a few times in Val d'Isere). They also do clinics - half way house between ski school and one-on-one lessons. I've booked for a couple of days' clinics and then one afternoon of one-on-one.

The Courchevel website is excellent, but I've actually got a brief piste guide I put together for the others in my party... will try to find it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Green runs

“1650” to “1650” circuit: Massive! Arondiaz cable car to Bd Arondiaz, Petite Bosses, Praline and finally Bd Arcosse back to the apartment / 1650 centre

Blue runs

“1650” to “1650” circuit: Ariondaz cable car to Bd Arondiaz (Green). Ski to Combe lift. Traverse from end of Combe lift to Pyramide double lifts. From here, two alternatives:

1) Pyramide, Ariondaz, Piste Bleue, Indiens, Ste Agathe (or Ariondaz, Marquis, Ste Agathe)
2) Huge: Plan Mugnier / Mont russes, Grandes bosses, Indiens, St Agathe

Or, from Bd Arondiaz, take the Grande bosses intersection down to the Signal chairlift. From here, ski Marmottes onto the full Grandes bosses/Indiens circuit.

Red/black runs

“1650” to “1650” circuit: Ariondaz cable car to Bd Arondiaz (Green). Ski to Combe lift. Traverse from end of Combe lift to Pyramide double lifts. Roc Merlet lift to the “COL DE CHANROSSA”. Then:

1) Chanrossa (Black) or J Pachod (Red) to Creux (400m drop)
2) Marmottes lift to “VIZELLE”
3) Marmottes / Creux haut onto Bd Lac Creux and Cave des creux
(or Marmottes, Turcs (Black), Park city onto Bd Lac Creux)
4) Bd de Prameruel (Green) to “PRAMERUEL”
5) Prameruel chairlift then Prameruel (Green) / Grandes bosses (Blue) to Signal lift
6) Signal chairlift to “SIGNAL”
7) Chapelets or Rochers haut onto Rochers bas / Bel air
Cool Bd Arcosses back to apartment / 1650 centre

“VIZELLE” to Suisse lift: Marmottes (Red), Turcs (Black), Suisses (Black) or just Suisses (Black) all the way to Suisse lift or ski onto Mur (Red) into “PRAMERUEL”

From “PRAMERUEL”: Aiguille du Fruit lift to Turcs (Black) then Suisses (Black) onto Suisse lift.

“VIZELLE” to “VERDONS” (600m): Combe Pylones (Red) / Ch Vizelle (Red) onto M (Black) or Ch Vizelle (Red) onto Epaule Vizelle (Black). Vizelle lift returns, or Saulire cable car gives access to Grand Couloir!!!! (Very black). Pure reds are Combe saulire and Combe Pylones leading to “VERDONS”.

“VERDONS” to “LOZE”: ski Renards (Green) then Biollay (Blue) to Coqs lift (arrive at “CHENUS”), then ski Green to “LOZE”.

“LOZE” to “LE PRAZ” (1000m): Bouc Blanc (Red) leads to Jockeys (Black). Dou du Midi Haut (Red) leads to Jean Blanc Haut (Black). Both lead down to “Le Praz”. Foret then Cretes lifts return to “CHENUS”.

Special Blue/Green run – 1650 to La Tania (and back again)

1) Ariondaz lift
2) Bd Ariondaz (Green) to top of Pointe Bosse lift
3) Short run - Bd Gravelles (Blue) to West side of “PRAMERUEL”
4) Creux lift (difficult surface) to Creux Altiport Pralong
5) Blue/Green runs down to “PRALONG” and Pralong chairlift
6) Biollay (Blue) or Petit Lac / Verdons to bottom of Coqs lift
7) Coqs lift to “CHENUS”
Cool (optional) Col de la Loze lift and same run (Blue) back to “CHENUS”
9) Green run (Cretes?) down to “LOZE”
10) Cretes (Blue) and Bd Arolles (Blue) to “PRAZ-JUGET”
11) Folyeres Haut (great Blue) onto Folyeres Bas (great Blue) through the forest to “LA TANIA”

La Tania then Praz-Juget lifts return to “CHENUS”. Chenus Haut (Blue) or Lac Bleue (Blue/Green) lead back into “1850”. Verdons cabin onto Verdons (Green), Biollay lift onto Pralong (Blue) then Bd de Prameruel (Green) return to “PRAMERUEL”. Prameruel lift onto Prameruel (Green) leads to Indiens (Blue) into “1650”.

Other great red runs

1650: Chapelets - relatively quieter run, amazing scenery
1850: Creux - long & fast, tree-lined at the bottom
1850: Combe Saulire - long and North facing (good for skiing afternoon), but can get busy (like most of 1850)

Other great black runs
1850: The Couloirs - steep and steeper. Range from the easiest (Grand Couloir - probably just a very difficult black) to the mental Telepherique (don't even think it's officially graded any more)
1850: Suisse - bumpy at the top, but can normally avoid them if you don't like moguls (wuss!)
1850: Epaule vizelle & M - nice and long, but not too tough
La Tania & La Praz: Jockeys - wicked, wicked, wicked! Tree-lined, so good in poor visibility.
La Tania & La Praz: Jean Blanc - alternative to Jockeys, but not quite as exhillerating.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FANTASTIC detail - how do you remember this stuff? I can never remember the names of the lifts/runs. Am busy memorising all this for my trip - looks as though we are going in consecutive weeks as I'm out there 6th - 14th March. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, it looks like you've got some good info there on the runs - I've had about 8 or 9 weeks in the 3V over the years, but can't really add to that! Most of 1650 is perfect for wk2 skiers, with long blue runs, and some fairly easy reds. Make sure you eat at least once at the Bel Air, and the Altiport is also great.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sat at the computer for quite a while with the piste map, poma! That's the benefit of not having to go to work every day - I have loads of time to waste on things like this!!

There may be a few mistakes in it though - it was compiled by me, not just copied off another (more reliable) source!

Oh, and I've just realised there are a couple of references to "apartment" - that's where we'll be staying, so anyone else please ignore - don't presume it'll take you back to where YOU'RE staying! Wink

Shame we won't overlap - would have been good to meet up with fellow Sn snowHead wHeads. Have a good time, and good luck renting out the apartment...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masopa, could be wrong but i suspect that you have been to Courchevel before. Almost felt myself leaning into the corners as I read. The Creux lift (difficult surface) has been replaced by slow but very easy gravelles chair, giving a perfect lift to 1850 for a week 2 skier.

Peter if you venture out of 1650 try comimng back mid to late afternoon and bask in the all day sunof 1650. Quiet and sunny..................Ah yes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, he he! It could have been a very lucky guess, I suppose! Glad to see Creux lift has been replaced - we have a 1st week skier, who I really want to try to get over to the Folyeres runs over by La Tania, so that's good news.

Have you tried the couloirs? Never given them a go before, but I have a private lesson with the aim of getting down Grand Couloir in one piece! (the descriptions of the couloirs were from a French friend of mine - that bit wasn't first hand!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masopa, Thank you seems totally inadequate!
If ever there was an example needed of the benefit of a forum of this nature, this thread should be posted. I am indebted to you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Couloirs!! - You seem to have me confused with someone that posseses ability, nerve, and youthfull lower limb joints. Creux and Chapelets 5 minutes after the Piste Basher has combed me a path is my idea of a good day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter B, No probs - makes a change for me to post something (hopefully) useful rather than just tell people how to add smilies to their posts!!

Frosty the Snowman, In that case - wish me luck - I'm somewhat lacking on the ability front! If I'm not back posting on the forum on 21st March, you'll know why!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masopa, Good luck, good snow, good weather, and a good smooth flight back down in the helicopter (wanted to insert a toofy grin at this stage but didnt know how)

PS How do you highlight the name of the person being referred to?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To highlight their name, just left click on it on the left - that inserts it.
To insert the smilies, again just click on them.
If I go to your post above, click on your name on the left hand side, you come out like this Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter B, Just Testing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Peter B, Fantastic, thanks very much, Im well away now Toofy Grin
snow report
I've done the Grand and the Telepherique, but not the Emile Alais (middle) couloir. Like any steep run, if they're covered in 9AM Easter rutted concrete or huge moguls, leave them for another day! In good conditions the Grand is certainly manageable by anyone who's done lots of other blacks in the big French & Swiss resorts.
ski holidays
Only 32 hours till we leave terminal 2 at Manchester. Anybody got any last tips?
snow report
Lessons: Can endorse the recommendation for New Generation - we have excellent first hand experience. A vast improvement on the ESF

Mountain restaurants: Bel Air (at top of main gondola out of 1650) is one of the best in the 3 Vallees. Not particularly expensive. Advisable to reserve if peak times in bad weather - we turned up in a blizzard when all the inside tables had gone, so they stuck us on the balcony under the eaves, wrapped us in blankets, served us in 10 minutes flat, then gave us all a large free glass of eau de vie to send us cheerfully on our way - Fantastic service, and in sharp contrast to most other places
snow conditions
Peter,

Re. lessons I had 3 private lessons the other week with a guy called Marko James (welsh guy) who is at Ski Academy in 1850. I am sure that he would come up to 1650 meet you for a private lesson. If you are interested I have his number, he might take a direct booking from you which would be a saving from booking it through the school.

Send me a private mail if you want it.

Have fun!!
snow report
I can also endorse Ski Academy, We skied to meet them each morning, or caught the bus, both no hassle. Much cheaper than NG!. Our groop had 4 instructors, all superb. Sophie and Raphael stood out though. Raphael took 4-6 of us on 2 days, varying abilities, and still gave us all the best level we had ever had. Dont plan much for the rest of the day though as we were pushed hard. a small but very nice company.
latest report
sarah, and Frosty the Snowman, thanks for the tip, but I've booked private lessons with NewGen. First one on Sunday afternoon, so will enjoy a beer afterwards. 12 hours and I'll be there Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy