Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots too Big?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is there are any way of getting a better fit from boots that are too big?

I’ve had my current boots (Salomon Evolution 9.0s) about 5 years (7 weeks use). They were too big when I got them (S&R boot fitter spent no more than fifteen minutes with me, and I knew no better at the time), and have got looser with use. About four years ago I bought some sort of insole, which helped a bit, but they are now worse than ever – can just about lift my whole foot up, and my heel and ankle get thrown all over the place on steeper/bumpier runs. I always end up with big bruises on the front of my ankle, and tightening the buckle just seems to makes it worse. Think my problem is that my feet are quite flat (but wide), and ankles and lower carves quite thin.

Anyone know if there is anything I can do about this? E.g. a new moulded inner; more insoles etc.? Or should I just buy new boots?

Cheers all.

PS: Thanks DG Orf – although technique might have something to do with it, I recognised the “clawing toes” and “tightening thighs” symptoms from your ‘Ski Boot Fitting’ web site! About 1.5 inches between heel and shell.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally with that much play I'd look for new boots, as an alternative though if the shell is still in good condition and the wear at the heel and toe is minimal what about a custom foamed replacement inner, these fit your foot exactly but I think your boot shells are too big to ever get a good fit too much play inside the boot will result in a more rapid rate of wear on the liner.

By the way just for everyones info: boot sizes are funny with ski boots, they use the Mondo Point system for sizing but note every time you go up a full size e.g 29.0 to 30.0 the length and the width increase, however going from 29.0 to 29,5 only the length increases.

Thus if you find your boot in a 29.0 is both too narrow and too short you need to go to a 30.0 however if the width was right but the length too short a 29.5 may suffice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ouch - mine are very slightly too big (it was either that or have the slightly smaller size, which were too small), but they're nothing like that.

Best bet is to go and talk to a decent bootfitter. Chances are, they'll recommend you get new boots, but they might have a fix (such as custom foam inner).

Snowlines do an Atomic custom foam inner for £100, which is a pretty good deal (as long as it solves the problem). Obviously you need to get the inner professionally fitted, but may be a cheaper option if you want to retain your shells (am considering it myself). Ski boots & stuff from Snowlines.co.uk

My boots, as I said, are slightly too big for my feet, but the gap at the back is about 1.5cm, so not quite as much play as yours. Certaily don't get bruises or anything...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The 1.5 inch gap between heel and shell is with the liner out - according to DG's instructions for measuring a good fit it should be about 1 inch. Though it is very difficult to measure down there!

Sounds like it would be best to get new boots - now just got to find a good fitter in St Anton for next week!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After I put my foot in the shell, I stuck a lump of bluetac down the back - it kind of moulds around your heel so you can them take it out and measure it. To be honest though, it's just as easy to guess!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave Burt wrote:
The 1.5 inch gap between heel and shell is with the liner out - according to DG's instructions for measuring a good fit it should be about 1 inch. Though it is very difficult to measure down there!

Sounds like it would be best to get new boots - now just got to find a good fitter in St Anton for next week!

Dave, it should be more like a finger's width to two. If you can make it work, I'd recommend a single finger if you are a more advanced skier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh one finger would be the sort of fit achived in a competitive ski racers boot where it doesn't have to be worn very long, two is closer to the inch I suggested on my site, for anyone who wants to see it's at http://uk.geocities.com/david.orf@btinternet.com/Ski_Boot_Fitting.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The advice on that site by the way was cobbled together from the best written advice I could find with the editing and extra coments by me rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy