Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An exercise conundrum

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody explain how, on one day, one can exercise efficiently and happily, with no more discomfort than the breathlessness and sweatiness which are the whole point of the exercise and, on the very next day, feel as though one is moving one's limbs through a tank filled with wet cement? Or is it just me? Everything else seemed equal ie no hangover, late night, or suchlike, in between. Puzzling. Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too much culture maybe Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same muscle set or different?

Same exertion level?

Same nutrition timing?

My four explanations, in vague priority order:

1) you used the same muscles last night beyond a one-day-recovery intensity and have nothing left for tonight.

2) blood sugar low

3) dehydration

4) unusual range of motion or untrained muscle set

You could, of course, also 5) be coming down with something, and 6) have indeterminate external stress or lack of focus

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-10-08 0:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, same, pretty much on all counts, I think.
PhillipStanton, well, yeah, I did go to the opera last night, but that doesn't usually affect my exercise routine!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, do you structure the week for microcycles, for example

Mon - off , stretches, other things
Tue - light target workout
Wed - moderate to hard target workout
Thu - off
Fri - light
Sat - long or intense or both
Sun - moderate

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-10-08 0:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, oops, sorry, you added a bit more. In answer to your numbered points:
1) I exercised in the middle of the day on both days and don't think I did an unusual amount yesterday.
2) Unlikely, I had a light, balanced meal about an hour and a half before exercising.
3) That's possible, thinking about it.
4) Also possible, I guess. Hope not.

As regards structuring exercise cycles, it's a bit hit and miss, depending on timing of freelance work and other things happening in the evenings. Now that the ski season is in sight, and the first week booked (course of lessons, for which fitness will be important) I'm trying to exercise every day, as per Kramer's advice. Doesn't always happen, though. I probably don't approach the whole exercise shtick sufficiently scientifically, if truth be told - the whole damn thing is fairly hit and miss. Embarassed

Oh well, two hour Pilates class tomorrow, plus some more culture in the evening, should sort me out. Or not. wink

Thanks for outlining the possible causes. This has happened to me before and I think I'll keep an eye on the factors that you mention.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nooooo! I've been saying for the last month that I must resurrect my gym membership and get myself down there - reckon it's got to happen this month and pretty soon. I'll see if there's a suitable personal trainer there - I had one for a few months last year who was also qualified as a ski instructor - very good! He knew exactly what I should be working on Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, don't panic! Toofy Grin In fact not that much of my exercise is ski-oriented in any event. There's a history of heart disease on both sides of my family - were it not for that, I probably wouldn't get my fat ar$e over to the gym at all!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, I run three to five times per week, between 45 and 90 mins. I think I suffer from a similar issue, even on days where I should feel bad I can even doing a short run. My wife is the same, she always runs 45min (the same route) around 5 times per week, some days it kills her, most she breezes through it - she thinks it psychological as she is very fit and careful about what she eats / drinks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing phew! wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, yes, it's in my warm-up - which is the same every time - that I know, straight away, that I'm off-form. Will be interesting to see what comprex has to say about your experience: I suppose it could be one of the other factors that he mentions eg non-recovery?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone else think this was going to be another Carol Vorderman related thread?

Quote:
Vorderman later said that she had "put on a stone from the stress of being sacked from Countdown"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Vorderman

Hurtle,

Do you incorporate a cool down phase after exercise?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, sort of, in that I do a lot of Pilates stretching - about 20 minutes or so.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle,

I've experienced similar after hard exercise without a cool down phase. Basically I do very light exercise @ a heart rate of ca 100-110 bpm (Active recovery) for 10 to 15 mins at the end of my workout. Streching is something I do after a warm up phase before intense exercise.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/activerecovery.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, I , like Kramer exercise at least 5 x / wk and tend to feel tired most days to a greater or lesser extent. However, some days, for no reason that I can identify, the session can be really easy. I just wish that it happened more often Sad
My view is that variation in muscular fatigue levels is normal.
snow conditions
Hurtle, I have it from time to time too and have no clue why it happens. Good days and bad days in random order Sad All else equal. Always warming up and stretching. Puzzled
latest report
Some days you just can't be bothered Twisted Evil

I find the amount of water I drink really affects me. I drink a lot of water anyway but if I forget to take some when I'm out cycling then my legs can start to feel like lead. I also find that if I haven't drunk my usual amount during the day it can feel harder at the gym at night, even if I drink water while exercising there.
snow report
Nick L,
Quote:

My view is that variation in muscular fatigue levels is normal.

I'll buy that.

lynseyf,
Quote:

I find the amount of water I drink really affects me

And that.
latest report
Hurtle, as I see it the one thing not touched on in the thread so far has been recovery phase nutrition.
snow report
Hurtle, or perhaps you have some tremendously horrible disease??

hope that helps Toofy Grin wink
snow report
I don't know much about exercise, but isn't there something about microfractures in the muscle tissue and the reason why long distance runners have ice baths that could factor here or is that some different thing entirely?
ski holidays
I actually tried the cold bath thing last weekend and felt very good the next day (after a 21 miler) - did 23 this week and didn't do the cold bath (called at the gym for a jacuzzi soak instead) and felt much worse the following day. I am now struggling with a cold though so it could have just been that.
Oh, and you do have to get in doing chimp impressions Laughing

As for good days and bad days, oh yeah, I'll occasionally set off and then start asking myself if I have ever actually run before rolling eyes I think it could be loads of things, what you've eaten, drank, sort of day you've had etc, etc.
ski holidays
Jerry wrote:
I actually tried the cold bath thing last weekend and felt very good the next day (after a 21 miler) - did 23 this week and didn't do the cold bath (called at the gym for a jacuzzi soak instead) and felt much worse the following day. I am now struggling with a cold though so it could have just been that.
Oh, and you do have to get in doing chimp impressions Laughing

As for good days and bad days, oh yeah, I'll occasionally set off and then start asking myself if I have ever actually run before rolling eyes I think it could be loads of things, what you've eaten, drank, sort of day you've had etc, etc.

I actually tried the cold bath thing last weekend and felt no impulse to masturbate or rub up against women on the train Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Oh God, why did I ask? rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy