Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Had enought of the monster resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
One place I'm particularly fond of in the southern French Alps is Sauze-Supersauze. Most Brits head for the classic destinations - tour operators concentrate on them understandably, there's not the accommodation/transport facilities to do otherwise. But as a result some superb - and not so small - resorts often go unnoticed and undiscovered. For anyone considering the DIY break, look beyond the Savoie and consider the likes of Sauze - you won't regret it.

An article I did on the resort, in 3 bits.....

Page1
Page2
Page3
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG: can't get your articles to load.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odd, they work ok this end. They are pdf files though - (quite low res) - so they should work with a recent enough version of Acrobat Reader.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes they work for me. Interesting stuff PG - you should start your own website with all your articles on it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nice work PG.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ken Lingwood, Thanks. You know it's a shame, but alpine skiing gets little recognition... How many people have heard of Carole Merle, subject of the article, for example? Yet given her achievements it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest she's the best woman skier ever, or pretty close. At least in the UK you've got Ski Sunday - here in France, incredibly, none of the main tv stations show any alpine ski racing at all. Just occasionally on Eurosport, for those who can get it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Red Dave, I'm on a ski sabbatical at the moment - posting to Snowheads is going to have to stop while I go and do some of the real thing and find something to write about!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, I thought that the reason we got very little was that the UK has such a small ski area and thought musnt it be great to be in France etc where they must get so much coverage. B****y TV stations. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG wrote:
Ken Lingwood, Thanks. You know it's a shame, but alpine skiing gets little recognition... How many people have heard of Carole Merle, subject of the article, for example? Yet given her achievements it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest she's the best woman skier ever, or pretty close. At least in the UK you've got Ski Sunday - here in France, incredibly, none of the main tv stations show any alpine ski racing at all. Just occasionally on Eurosport, for those who can get it.

Interesting that. When I was in Zurich last Saturday, we put the TV on to check weather and stuff. In Switzerland (as you probably know) their cable systems have a lot of channels from around Europe. We saw live(ish) womens salalom and mens ski-jumping on Swiss(I think), German, Austrian and Italian channels, and Eurosport. But now you mention it, not on the French that I can recall. Of course, the channels they carry aren't exhaustive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG have fun and report back on your return - only the w/e for me I'm afraid.

Yes coverage isn't brilliant in France. Eurosport and Sport+ show a bit, but it's never enough. Whenever I tune in it's always ski jumping which I can live without - maybe they show the real stuff when I'm on the slopes! There's the odd bit on the terrsetial channels but nothing to write home about.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, when I say "stop" I only meant during skiing hours! And I'm not going up today (Sunday), too busy. Yesterday was cold -25°C at 3000m early on and they've forecast it dropping to below -30°C today. The Arctic weather that caused all the chaos in the UK has reached us here now - but no snow, or very little anyway, so far.

Trouble with skiing on the terrestrial channels is I never know when it's on - it's not actually scheduled, is it?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, where are you skiing - Siberia?

I didn't bother going yesterday either as I thought it would be rather busy at AdH with the last week of the holidays + all the locals, and the forecast was for snow. Anyway I had an excellent day there on Saturday, skiing in untracked powder in the sun with no crowds - it was pretty cold, especially when the wind picked up late afternnon, but not THAT cold.

It snowed like crazy in Grenoble yesterday afternoon, so was expecting there to be loads of new snow at AdH. However when I checked the SCGB website just now the Rep has reported no new snow, beuatiful skiing and sun for yesterday - doh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RD, Well that was the temp mentioned by the pisteurs I met coming down from the Aiguille Rouge just before 9 Saturday morning.... I've seen worse! Then when meteo.fr decided the 'froid intensif' would become a 'froid polaire' on Sunday, that combined with possible congestion put me off going up on Sunday. And likewise, some snow in the valleys, but nothing much in Les Arcs. As I sit here I can see the cannons blasting away up at Arcs 1600, beautiful day, still pretty cold....

It can vary so much in the mountains, daughter was racing in three resorts over the weekend - Areches Beaufort, Les Saisies, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, came back saying it hadn't been anything like as cold as per my warnings....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, so true about how it can vary in the mountains, and change so quickly.

I realised that I didn't actually answer your question. When it is on it is scheduled - check out one of the weekly TV mags (one of the satalite ones is the best but I can't remember the name of it). They had the Men's and Women's Slalom racing on Eurosport yesterday in the morning and the afternoon - that's why I normally miss it as I'm on the slopes!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red Dave, PG, have you ever heard the "Weekend Ski Deaths Report" (I think it's on a Chambery radio station?!?) Tales of Dutch snowboarders hurtling 80m to their death, drunken tourists getting lost in the cold, dark Savoyard night, etc. etc.
ski holidays
New one on me, sorry....
snow report
Cee Bee, no I've not heard of that one either - and since someone stole my radio aerial in Bourg St. Maurice a few weeks ago I'm not likely too!

I often check out www.pistehors.com though - it gives great information on French off-piste skiing / boarding in English.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy