Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

why is it hard to sleep after serious exercise?

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

Once a week I do an hour circuits class, where I really push myself, after the class which finishes at 7:30pm I always have a poor nights sleep, often waking up during the night a few times.

Other training inc 2 hours of hockey training, hockey games, other hours spent in the gym, running, MTBing and I have no problems sleeping!

Just wondering if anyone had any explanations, not worried about it, just intrigued!

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adrenaline, endorphins etc?

I prescribe a healthy bottle of wine when you get back from training...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski,

I know what you mean - im playing football tonight at 9.20 !! and know I will be wide awake when trying to go to sleep Evil or Very Mad

I must admit though that FastEddie,s idea of a bottle of wine sounds like a solution rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, A large glass of red and 2 minutes slap n tickle with the wife should see you right.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, TWO minutes? I take it you're including the time I take to fold my clothes up neatly and floss my teeth?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FastEddie, To be honest, you didn't figure in my plans or calculations wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastEddie, It's not just a name then? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tried with and without wine, neither seem to work....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh dear boys... Toofy Grin Cheered up a dismal boring morning for me FrostytheSnowman and Fast Eddie.

kitenski, Would suggest along the lines of not having cooled down enough. You said you had pushed yourself. I bet you got out of the gym and straight into the car? Not warmed down properly and may even be a bit dehydrated. I would probably have to be killjoy and not recommend a glass of red, as will only dehydrate you more. Back off a bit? Overtraining? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, a few of us down the running club swear by the Red wine technique!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, you just wait until Saturday, you big bear Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, if you ask MrsFE, she has no complaints.

Generally all she wants is to get back to Corrie before the end of the commercials... Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MarjMJ wrote:
Oh dear boys... Toofy Grin Cheered up a dismal boring morning for me FrostytheSnowman and Fast Eddie.

kitenski, Would suggest along the lines of not having cooled down enough. You said you had pushed yourself. I bet you got out of the gym and straight into the car? Not warmed down properly and may even be a bit dehydrated. I would probably have to be killjoy and not recommend a glass of red, as will only dehydrate you more. Back off a bit? Overtraining? Puzzled

We do a proper cooldown, stretches, then a shower at the gym. As I've said I've tried without the wine, but it's not made much difference....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski,
try reading a book or doing something boring like company expenses, tax returns, learning German,
also, I read that for dehydration milk is a lot better then water so a pint of skimmed milk might help,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, a bout of self-abuse is recommended by many.
ski holidays
Quote:

a bout of self-abuse

Was that a rude-ish word changed by the forum s/w? Smile
latest report
jonm, sadly no - it was entirely the function of my own diseased brain Smile
snow conditions
FastEddie wrote:
MrsFE, she has no complaints.

Generally all she wants is to get back to Corrie before the end of the commercials... Wink

It's a real problem now that the commercial breaks have got longer, isn't it FastEddie?
snow conditions
helena57 wrote:
kitenski,
try reading a book or doing something boring like company expenses, tax returns, learning German,
also, I read that for dehydration milk is a lot better then water so a pint of skimmed milk might help,

That's what I'd do when I have an evening of intense exercise. The most boring task I put off doing all week, I do it after intense exercise, when my mind is at its clearest!

It doesn't exactly help me sleep better. But at least I made good use of the time awake instead of trying so hard to fall to sleep.

The next night I sleep well, usually.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Afternoon all,

Once a week I do an hour circuits class, where I really push myself, after the class which finishes at 7:30pm I always have a poor nights sleep, often waking up during the night a few times.

What do you eat afterwards?
ski holidays
Are you not drinking the recommended 1l of wine post class?
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, watch out, you'll get the sH alcohol police after you Very Happy
ski holidays
FastEddie, Hey, I resemble that remark! wink
latest report
Read Snowheads..... that'll do it
ski holidays
dehydration - more water required
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
What do you eat afterwards?

well after the 10 pints and the litre of red wine I normally get a kebab or curry......

..seriously, normally a light meal of chicken/pasta/veg
snow report
kitenski, I've often suffered from this problem after serious exercise (circuit training), but it seems to worsen the later I eat in the evening. Sometimes tricky when I don't get back until 9 - 9.30 and then have to sort out some food. Only things I'd suggest would be eat as early as possible, and avoid tea and coffee to close to bedtime. Oh, and drinking sufficient water seems to reduce cramp (something else I'm prone to bouts of after exercise).
snow conditions
The exact opposite happens to me. The more I exercise, the more sleep I seem to need. And then I sleep like a log. I assume it's because my body needs to repair itself and that only happens during sleep.
I drink a fair amount of coffee during the course of the day but rarely drink alcohol - perhaps once every couple of months. Alcohol definitely ruins my sleep; I sleep erratically and for about four hours at the most. I read somewhere that this is due to the side effects of the liver breaking down the ethanol in the alcohol into methanol.... yadda yadda

Now, if only I was a finally honed athlete, then perhaps this would all be worth it.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phil Jordan wrote:
kitenski, I've often suffered from this problem after serious exercise (circuit training)

Glad I'm not the only one!!
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
The exact opposite happens to me. The more I exercise, the more sleep I seem to need. And then I sleep like a log. I assume it's because my body needs to repair itself and that only happens during sleep.
I drink a fair amount of coffee during the course of the day but rarely drink alcohol - perhaps once every couple of months. Alcohol definitely ruins my sleep; I sleep erratically and for about four hours at the most. I read somewhere that this is due to the side effects of the liver breaking down <snip> the alcohol into aldehyde.... yadda yadda

Now, if only I was a finally honed athlete, then perhaps this would all be worth it.... :roll:

fixed.

I am tempted to go with the dehydration explanation, as we have so little information to base something fancier on, and as it is so easily corrected without bad side effects.
snow conditions
comprex, since I posted about getting tired at the gym, I've upped hydration levels - worked a treat. Toofy Grin Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy