Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys

Poster: A snowHead
Hi peeps,

Just got back from my holiday in Les Menuires, had a great time excellent skiing. We managed to go across to courchevel, Meribel and Val thorens too over tthe week, really glad i got the 3V lift pass as les menuires is busier than anything i've ever witnessed before, we spent most of our time over at Val T. It snowed a lot at the start of our trip and became sunny and clear for the last 4 days which was great, although i would say that the resort was in need of more snow as we left as bits of various runs were getting ver low indeed (could see grass, rocks, mud etc) the biggest problem was the amount of rocks, I've managed to totally knacker my new skis over this week covered in huge scratches, dents, gouges etc caused by all the debris. I've got a fair bit of repair work ahead of me to get them ready for my next trip but never mind. On a positive note, it did start to snow as we were leaving the resort on sunday morning, so you never know, things may improve quite quickly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice to hear from you The_Mac_Daddy, Any highlights or recommendations?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Chris,

Not really much to say apart from we had a great holiday in the 3 valleys and covered a lot of miles. Your log of the area that you posted in the resorts section seems pretty spot on. To be honest i think in the future i'd avoid les menuires as it was really crowded and loads of learners etc. We spent most of our time over at Val Thorens which seemed to have better snow, better runs and a lot less crowded, maybe one for the future. I wanna try Austria next Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did you get up to (I think it's called) the Cime de Caron? I've not got that far, but it's supposed to be the dog's danglers for skiing in the area. Any views?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The_Mac_Daddy, I'm off to Courchevel in 2 weeks - what was the snow like over there? As to Chris's comment I did Cime de Caron two years ago, can be terrible queues on the cable car, but not much in Jan, did the Combe Roseal black off the back into the fourth valley - tremendous views - good and steep and best of all completely empty! Some of the runs on the front (VT) side can be in the shade for lots of the day!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be honest steve, i didn't spend very much time in Courchevel as it was a bit of a trek away. But we did get over there for lunch one day (via meribel) and found the snow to be pretty good for the majority, there were a couple of stoney bits showing through when you got down to resort level but nothing major. And from what i saw on ski club uk web site, the whole area had another 15 cm of snow as we left so i expect the conditions are pretty good right now. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful holiday. Chris, no, we only got as far as the top of la moutier where we found a lovely blue run with some excellent moguls and jumps etc, did that run a couple of times Wink Not really in to Black runs as me and the mrs are more lower intermediates and prefer red/blue runs. Maybe one day though snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Over in La Tania the Sunday afternoon/evening snow amounted to just a sprinkling.

We arrived in La Tania on Monday 27th and while there had been some recent snow and it continued into Wednesday, all that did was put soft snow over no base - it was very easy to ski through it and hit rocks. On Thursday Vic put a huge gouge in her 1½ day old skis (Ski Higher in La Tania very generously repaired them for free). The top of the blue run into La Tania, Arolles, was apparently very rough and should've been closed. However, runs with snow cannons had obviously been able to put a base down and there was some very good skiing on these, and the problem of skiing worn out blue and red runs was easily solved by skiing the alternative blacks.

One of the main runs from VT to Motteret - Lac de la Chambre had a nasty section of sheet ice. This was well marked with plenty of black & yellow warning poles but it was great fun to watch people come down and ignore their function an use them as slalom poles. Strange, it seems the people who slalom these poles can't ski/board ice wink

On our return from VT on Sunday (avoiding Lac de la Chambre), we heard advice to steer clear of Cime de Caron as the section just below the top was very rocky.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditions are upside down.

All the upper slopes are showing rocks, stones, mud and grass. The Lower slopes are more commonly complete though loose stones are commonplace.

Whatever the official snowdepths that are being fed into the media at the moment, the depth of snow on parts of many pistes is almost nill. In fact, many of the pistes are being skillfully bulldozed complete on a daily basis and showing bare patches again by the end of the day.

Best conditions on the lower slopes!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't agree more!

Best condition (1st week in Jan) was La Tania, 1550, 1650 & 1860. La Praz 1300 was icy. Upper slopes looked good but stony at places.

It is the same situation everywhere in Tarenraise (Tignes/Val D, Les Arcs/La Plagne) or Portes du Soleil. Condition in 3 Vallees and Valmorel was better than the rest.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The small amount of new snow definately lifted spirits around the 3v's today. Lots more smiley people about.
Unfortunately, it wasn't so much that it will last very long and much of the effect was simply to hide the rocks so that they became a complete surprise when U hit them.
More snow needed!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How's the snow now?

Heading there on Saturday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I left this morning and it was still chucking it down! Courcheval and La Tania now covered by shed loads of gorgeous powder - conditions superb!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee, more details about your holiday please. Latest night, longest lay in etc. oh yeah and the snow and resort in general and all that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still snowing in VT.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've just had a week in the 3V's, based in Mottaret, and the news from there is excellent.

Having been misled yet again by snowforecast.com, expecting nothing more than a healthy sun tan, it started snowing on Tuesday and never really stopped. It was still coming down this morning. The upshot for us was reasonable ski-ing spoiled only by some serious white-outs and the fact the pisteurs couldn't really get to work.

Speaking to a local I was told that, from Tuesday this week, the forecast was for a whopping 14 feet of snow during the following ten days. From what I have seen this week do not be surprised if that is not far from the truth.
snow conditions
Significant further snow overnight and the wind has died down. For those who like fresh powder on piste – knee deep in places – VT is the place to be right now. Unless, of course, you like to be able to see where you’re going – the visibility is pretty poor at the moment.

Still snowing – looking good! Very Happy
snow report
Crying or Very sad

Not good for the mood of a man who is back at work tomorrow!
latest report
Just got back from Courchevel 1650 still snowing at 8:00 this morning ... but loads of great skiing done last week esp Saturday first few runs were untracked knee deep powder ... kept low & amongst the trees but even as we were heading back from La Tania / 1300 /1850 none of the upper lifts were open (still can't believe how good Jockey's was!).. some luck souls must have had an awesome day today if they opened them ....
ski holidays
stevew, doubt they did - it's been snowing heavily, non stop, all day!
ski holidays
This from merinet.com;

Quote:

The amount of snow falling today is unbelievable: every few hours we clear away another 20-30cm of fresh snow and the layer of snow in the resort is reaching hip level. I can't remember seeing snow like this for years - even last year when we had excellent snow there was never a single massive dump like this one.

The tree branches are so heavily laden they are pointing down at the ground; parked car have entirely disappeared under banks of snow; and skiers are happily schussing down the main roads in town.

Why, oh why did I choose last week to go instead of my normal first week in February?

Confused
snow conditions
Still snowing Very Happy
snow conditions
How's the snow going in Val Thorens? Could everyone there please make sure there's plenty left for next week wink
snow report
Hooray for everyone going skiing soon but I feel sick. Was in the 3 Valleys from 2 to 15 of Jan and a pair of ice skates and walking boots would have been more useful than skis. Grrrr. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Currently in La Tania and first things first - it has just started snowing - not that we need it ! I can happily report excellent snow conditions on all but the very busiest pistes eg ( bottom of runs into Meribel and Mottaret )

Further update on Saturday upon my return
snow conditions
Of goody. We're going out to 1650 on Sunday so it sounds as if we'll be in luck!! Sorry G-Rock, !! Little Angel I'll keep my fingers crossed for your next trip!
snow report
Those coming to the Three Valleys this weekend should prepare themselves for a very good week's skiing. Snow is very good on piste, but with the avalanche risk at 4 off piste is not advised. Saw an avalanche in Courchevel yesterday (the skier who set it off escaped) and there was a bad one in VT a couple of days ago where one person was not so lucky.

Still VERY COLD.

sandfox, there should be plenty. Very Happy
latest report
Alastair, We will be there in two weeks. Thanks for the updates. Any other snowHeads in 3V over the half-term week 13th-20th Feb? We are a party of 7 intermediates.
latest report
We will be in Courch 1550, looks like we're set (fingers crossed) for good conditions then...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got back from the 3 V's yesterday, based in La Tania, but got over to VT on last day (Friday 28th) it was snowing on and off on my travels, got into Meribel, Courch 1850, 1650 on a few occasions, in short conditions are excellent, good on piste and still plenty of powder off it to play in. BE CAREFUL though Avalanche risk still high in places.

Have fun and play safe. (Sounds like a Durex Ad).

I'll be back in the 3 V's early March and am sure there will have been further significant dumps of snow by then Smile
ski holidays
Hey guys help me out here. Never been skiing in France. Considering 3V's. Considering catered chalet in
Courchevel 1850, Meribel or La Tania. La Tania sounds appealing because of cost and travelling with family-
so robust nightlife not a big concern. Want to ski mainly in Courchevel-where is La Tania in relation to
Courchevel slopes. How easy is it to get to? What altitude is it at? Is it a good central place to explore
the rest of 3V's. Going from March 19-26th. When can I wait before booking. Puzzled
snow report
Hi sawni, I have just got back from La Tania having spent a week there. La Tania is ideally placed to ski the Courchevel Valley and fairly convinient for the rest of the 3V's- 2 lifts and you are at the top of the Col de La Loze where you drop into either the Courchevel or Meribel valleys. I believe the altitude is around 1350m and there is snow-making on at least one of the runs back into the village - although this is irrelevant as the snow conditions are great out there at the minute. Very family frindly - I took my 18 month old but there are provisions for all ages.

Cheers
Timberwolf
ski holidays
Timberwolf, thanks for the info. Can you recommend any chalets in La Tania. How easy is it to drive to
Courchevel 1850 if the wife wants to go browsing? I also like the skinny skis, any idea of nordic tracks in
La Tania or anywhere in the 3V area? Thanks.
snow report
sawni, I stayed with a company called Skibeat - there are various references to them on this forum and they have a web site so have a look. Also take a look at an unofficial guide to La Tania which has links to quite a few chalet companies. It is a fairly long way ( relatively speaking ) from La Tania into Courchevel 1850 even though it is pretty much one road. There are buses but they are busy and not very frequent. Not being an expert in cross country I can't really comment other than to say I know there are tracks, check out a piste map at Courchevel's website or La Tania's website
ski holidays
Timberwolf, thanks again for the info. Do you think we can wait until March to book something? Just to
make sure the snow is still good. We're looking to go from March 19-26 - just before Easter. Are all the
catered chalets 7 days? We're really looking for something Sat-19th to Friday-25th - want to drive back
to Lyon on Friday - to catch the early flight out-back to Canada. Any suggestions?
ski holidays
sawni, no problem. Easter, and probably the two weeks either side will be fairly busy. However, I think that everybody that 'needs' to go at that time, in terms of children, restiricted holidays etc, will have booked ages in advance. There is always accommodation available, but it depends how flexible you are. Chalets do tend to be 7 days, but some owner run chalets will undoubtedly be flexible for you.

If you want my personal opinon, I would wait - I mean if you're flying into Lyon, there are so many options available to you. If you don't get what you want in La Tania you can always look elsewhere.
snow report
Timberwolf, Great thanks for the info. As you point out, we're already booked into Lyon. There's a ton
of choice from there. There has to be good conditions somewhere and accomodation should be available.
We'll book last minute and wait for the best pricing and snow. Can't wait. Going up to Tremblant this weekend.
Conditions pretty good. Not a lot of freshies but the sun is shining and the temperatures good.
ski holidays
Still plenty of snow on piste, although it's getting a bit icy in places. Blue skies again.....
snow report
Just back from Les Menuires. Not snowed in 3 Valleys since Tue 1 Feb, but pistes are well groomed, plenty of snow cannons and are in generally good nic. Very good skiing to be had in all 3 Valleys. Managed to get to La Tania on Friday 4th Feb and even the bottom of there was in good condition. Anyone going to 3 Valleys this week will have a great time.
snow conditions
Yes, the snow is still good in 3 Valleys. Just back from Courchevel. I think we had the best conditions I've ever experienced in the middle of the week. Perfect snow - not too hard, not too soft, blue skies and sunshine. What more can one ask. Plus, the end Jan is a really good time to ski since it is so quiet. Going over into Meribel and down to Motteret we saw virtually no one. That must be unheard of!
snow report
Snowing lightly this afternoon, although it seems rather warm. Still, the snow is forecast to go on till Tuesday and the temperatures are expected to drop dramatically. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy