Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you help me set my fitness goals?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Little Angel

In another post i made i mentioned me suffering from slope fright and someone suggested it might just be to low fitness levels and fatigue.

I'd really like to avoid it if possible and so am making a determined effort to increase my fitness to a respectable standard for a cough potatoe. I have about a month or two.

I planned to take up running, but had a really bad time of my first attempt today and had to turn round and come home after a 1 minute jogging session, being unable to breathe. Pathetic, i know.

So as an alternative i'm thinking of using the eleven flights of stairs to my apartment as an exercise aid.

I imagine at the moment i could do the 11 flights to the top at about 1 step per second, then get down to the bottom (rest period), and do maybe another 3 flights up before i keel over. A total of 14 flights up.

How many flights up do you think i should aim for being able to do before keeling over, to consider myself suitably improved and fit for skiing?

Is walking upstairs an exercise that you would consider to be beneficial to my skiing fitness?

I realise its a bit random, but i'd appreciate some input from your disgustingly fit and energentic people Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd stick with the running if I was you, and supplement that with stairs for leg strength. Start walking a mile, then after a days rest, try jogging a little, walk the rest, and then build it up by jogging a little further every time.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.......and try to give up the potatoes if they're making you cough. Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why don't you try going out for a long walk, its better to walk for 1hr than to try to run for 1 minute. Try to build some hills into your walk, pick a route that you know the distance off and aim for around 4mph to start.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A treadmill is easier on the joints than the road. Intimidating in the wrong gym perhaps. I would avoid the 11 flights of stairs until you can run a mile in under 10 minutes. Perhaps two or three flights at most, lift to eight and walk up three.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Downhilldan, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

LK85, Perhaps you should check with your doctor first before doing any exercise? I minute of jogging shouldn't really leave anyone breathless - should it? Do you do any walking? Swimming?
If you're determined to take up running, then people tend to start by walking, say, 5 mins, jog 1 min, walk 5, jog 1 - do this 5x (30 mins) for a couple of weeks then reduce the walk to 4mins, increase the jog to 2 mins. etc. etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
totally agree with erica2004 go and tell your doctor and have yourself checked over ..he should check your heart (ecg) and give you a full health check..mine did,,..start on a bike in the gym on a steady state progeamme and build up.and wear a heart monitor the machines tell you what your heart rate should be for your age but I would check with a pt ...but if you are giving up after a minute jogging ..get yourself checked over
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the stairs would be very good exercise and will not damage your angle and knee joints like running can.

You should be able to go up all 14 flights (7 floors) and down, at least twice, before collapsing. You will be very much out of breath (I would be and I'm pretty fit) but your goal should be to get to a stage that your legs can do it. Don't rush it either, a steady speed all the way up is best and force yourself to hold this pace even when your legs are burning.

Walking is, in my opinion, of very little use as it is done with straight legs. I walk 4 miles+ most weekends with a bag of golf clubs on my back. I don't consider that this adds anything to my leg strength/stamina.

What you need for the mountains is quad muscle and hamstring stamina, which the stairs will be very good for.

Once you can do twice, go for a third climb!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't worry that you were out of breath after one minute running - that can be quite normal for someone who is new to running. I had the same problem when I decided to train for a 5k race for life. I bought an excellent book called "Running made easy" and it starts off with a beginner programme of run for 30 seconds, walk for 3 minutes and repeat three times. Sounds pathetic doesn't it but I was out of breath after 30 seconds. The programme soon moves on and before you know it you are running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute intervals x 10 - which gives a 40 minute workout and is approx the amount of time it would take for a novice to complete a 5k distance. By the time came for the race I could run 30 minutes non-stop which isn't bad for someone who's not a natural runner.

As for slope fright - I recommend plenty of sessions at an indoor slope or a dry slope. It's amazing how quickly your brain gets used to the pitch of the slope and you find yourself wanting to go faster down it. Trust me, I was a slow cautious learner so I know how it feels.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy