Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airport Facilities/policies etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone clarify if Chambery airport (or Jet2) allow helmets as hand luggage? There are posts on here that suggests that they dont, there are also a number websites that say the same. However more resent posts suggest that they lifted the ban but i've not been able to get a black or white answer.

MrSteve,

Thanks for that, i'm supprised by that response becuase its pretty much everywhere than Chambery does allow boots as hand luggage. We're flying with Jet2 as well and they allow them but its the airport that does not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got the reply from Jet2 over the weekend...

Quote:

Dear Stephen

Thank you for your recent correspondence.Subject to local security restrictions a boot bag may be carried as the one piece of hand luggage-normal weight and size restrictions apply(max.10kgs,56cmx45cmx25cm).

Alternatively a boot bag may be checked into the aircraft hold if you have prebooked it as either a hold bag or ski equipment(ski equipment includes skis and boots).

I hope you find this helpful,for any more questions or further clarification,please kindly contact us on 0871 226 1737.

Kind regards,

Temptation Shaya

Jet2.com
Contact Centre Team

Looking good... Smile

I'll email Chambery and Jet2 back to ask about the helmets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's the Jet2 reply about helmets (Chambery referred me to Jet2's T&Cs). This would all be subject to meeting their hand luggage size criteria.

Quote:

Dear: Stephen

You are allowed to take ski helmets as one piece of your hand luggage.

Kind regards,

Mohamed Sharief

Jet2.com
Contact Centre Team
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i emailed Chambery too, she suggested clipping my helmet to my hand luggage back. not convinced that will work. but long as short of it is as long as it meets the airlines restrictions (weight and size) then its ok
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BAIRITZ SKI BOOT WARNING....

I flew from Dublin to Stanstead to Biarritz with my Ski boots as hand luggage, but they were taken off me by Biarritz security on the way back.... they consider it a risk because of clubbing people over their heads with them.... Insurance wouldnt pay because they were confiscated.... (no stolen/damage reports from police)

Ryanair customer support actually answered my email when I asked why I wasnt told. I was lucky enough to have a skiier answer me who wanted to find out himself why they were taken off me.... he told me that while an airline didnt consider them a risk, that is only for boarding the plain.... but that individual airports AND / OR security personnel can make a decision on any individual item, so it was within the airport security officers rights to confiscate them "for disposal", which means that I cannot get them back even if I flew to the airport!!!!!

So the simple thing is remember that an Airline might allow something, but the airport might not and VISA VERSA!!!!!!!! Hold luggage only for my boots from now on!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the safe bet here is to pack them in the checked in luggage, it just seems to me that these people answering emails and the reality of airport security dont match up. Just pains me to put my boots in the hold.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Someone must have been through Chambery this season with Jet2, maybe they can confirm if there are still signs saying no boots in the cabin?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reply from Manchestser airport at last...only took 2 goes to get a reply... rolling eyes

Quote:

Dear MrSteve,

I am writing in reference to the web enquiry you have sent regarding ski boots being carried as hand luggage. Ski boots are permitted to be carried as hand luggage in accordance with your Airlines Hand-luggage requirements regarding dimensions and weight.

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Thank you for your email.

Kind regards

Ashley Horsfall

Customer Relations
Manchester Airport

So all in all, looks like boots as hand luggage will be fine going out with Jet2 to Chambery, and coming back again.

Of course, I'll let you know if it all goes horribly wrong next month on our Tignes trip. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DUBLIN / AER LINGUS / SKI BOOTS AS HAND LUGGAGE

Just to note, as of this month (Feb 2012) Aer Lingus are allowing ski boots through as hand luggage (in boot bags obvs) at both Dublin airport and Geneva airport. The boot bag appears to take up hand luggage allocation. Purely based on observation and may of course change.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I travelled through Chambery last week, Flybe flight , had to repack my lovely Atomic skiboots from their bootbag to my suitcase amongst the washing! I had met Flybe hand luggage restrictions travelling to Chambery and felt really peed off having to repack infront of 2 queues of dozens of folk! Why is it that kids can take their stupid hard case TRUNKIES and other flyers can take hard sided bags? My boots were well wrapped in ski trousers. DOH !!! I hate that woman on check in! Please can somebody clarify and make clear the rules on taking ski boots as carry on? Many thanks. xxx
Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
badgerlover, Chambery have too many Russians to deal with these days, so what as few different bags as possible so boots in hold luggage Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thought I'd give a bit of an update on Grenoble's recent refurb.

It's still a small airport but in the terminal you now have a semi decent restaurant and bar up stairs to go with the snack bar and shops downstairs, aside from that there's nothing there.

I was there every saturday last season as a driver and I'll also give my two cents on the whole place

1. On arrival look at the boards for your luggage belt number most of the UK flights coming in are on the belts out the first door and down the steps.
2. They aren't really fussed if you go out to get a trolley from departures and come back in, if they make an issue just explain.
3. Once through from the luggage belts the foyer is carnage on Saturdays, with loads of reps from the bigger TOs and a number of drivers/reps for smaller companies, the thing to do is find a rep from your company get yourself ticked off and either head straight to the coach or wait outside, you will just get crowded otherwise. The smaller companies can sometimes be caught out if they only have one rep on site and people may come through while that rep is taking a call outside/at the toilet/delayed in traffic, it's generally the same people everyweek so the reps sort of know each other, if stuck just ask if they know where he/she is. The biggest and most important thing at this point is that you know who your holiday is with, the place will be rammed and if you come through and ask someone who clearly has a sign saying their company operates chalets in La Tania if you are staying with them in Les Deux alps you're just not helping the crush.
4. When I was leaving guests to the airport I would always say to them to stay this side of the security until called as there is bug all back there, if they have any questions there is an English woman who works weekends behind the info desk and she is lovely, can tell you your flight status and a host of other things and this is very helpful as the boards can often be a but out of date.
5. If your flight is delayed either ask your TO if they can organise a coach/minibus to the McDonalds/Super U or walk it yourself. The McDonalds will be busy but they have free wifi and it's certainly easier to use up time on line than it is sitting in a departure lounge. The Super U is huge too so it can be a lot cheaper to get a bite to eat in there than in McDs/the airport.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

We have tried to give a good description of quite a few airports on our site... Hope it helps... Going to upload Zurich and Salzburg in the next few days.

Geneva: http://www.findtransfers.com/airports/airport-geneva-airport-transfers.asp#UsefulInfo

Chambery: http://www.findtransfers.com/airports/airport-chamb%C3%A9ry-airport-transfers.asp#UsefulInfo

Grenoble: http://www.findtransfers.com/airports/airport-grenoble-airport-transfers.asp

Innsbruck: http://www.findtransfers.com/airports/airport-innsbruck-airport-transfers.asp

Barcelona: http://www.findtransfers.com/airports/airport-barcelona-airport-transfers.asp Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
STANSTED

The ramp up to the front of the terminal is now closed to private vehicles (used to be allowed for drop off only and not allowed but always used by me for pick up). Now obligatory to use the short term car park and pay the fee (from £2 but quickly increases) or you can drop-off/park at the mid stay in a special area and passengers use the terminal shuttle bus. Link here:

http://www.stanstedairport.com/transport-and-directions/driving-to-stansted

Last time I was there for a pick up I used the short term car park and paid (which pained me). I noticed a few people with bags had walked through the car park and were picked up from the roadway before their drivers went into the barrier controlled area - not ideal as some of the traffic fair hurtles through there.

I had a quick look at the Radisson BLU hotel entrance which is near the car hire pick up. It has access to/from the terminal by a covered walkway (less than 5 min walk). The car park is barrier controlled but there is enough room to turn round near the barrier and I reckon you could do a stealthy drop off or pick up there and save the £2.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LYON UPDATE

The EasyJet terminal is now updated and it as least a "building" rather than tent - still same entrance (and you drop your bags in the same place) but you then go though security and a bit of a walk but then a small number of shops so better than it was. Don't go through the passport control bit until flight ready as nothing the otherside.

Tip on car hire for arrivals - when the plane lands, the driver should go and get the car sorted (others wait for bags) and then come back to the terminal to load up. It's free parking right outside for 10 mins. Suggest the reverse for departures as well.
latest report
Any advice re boot carry on Dublin -Salzburg. I had hoped to take my ski boots as carry on, flying Dublin - Salzburg with Ryanair on Sunday. I cant find any email for Ryanair customer support. I've taken them with Aer Lingus a few times but this thread has me concerned!!!
ski holidays
We set up Clubaero.nl to organize single day return flights from Lelystad to Sion for (affordable) short ski-break for busy people. Check out our choices of airports on our website. Just one day out and back places a lot of restrictions on the airports and the choice of aircraft type (STOL - short takeoff and landing). Our current choice of destination airport is Sion (Les quatres vallées) since it requires the least time for disembarkation and travel to the ski lifts - with luck we could even reach Veysonnaz within half an hour of touch down! Our destination choice is however not cast in stone. Innsbruck and Chambery are also alternatives. Does anyone have experience of passenger handling at Sion? We really would appreciate hearing from you. BTW you can contact our club management via the contact pages on our website or via our survey form if you have any other suggestions for us. http://clubaero.nl
ski holidays
OSTERSUND

Easily the most friendly airport I've ever been to where border guards smile and welcome you to Sweden.

Only one carousel that delivers all luggage and skis, so very easy to find. Straight outside to a car park. Small selection of car rentals as I recall.

On return there is a small gift shop and a small cafe. There's not much seating so grab a seat quickly if you're expecting a delay. You move to their International area a little while before departure and it's not well signed even though it's just the other side of a glass partition, so keep your eyes open as there's always someone who hasn't realised they need to and holds things up a bit. Not fun if it's you. There's a wall dedicated to the famous people who've passed through with photos and autographs. These are not the 10 a penny stars who are just famous for being famous but biathletes, cross country skiers and alpine skiers, proper stars who are good at something.

I like airports like this, especially since the runway is the only cleared piece of tarmac you'll see while you're there unless you go in Spring. Proper Winter!!
ski holidays
Chambery

Big signs saying no selfie / GoPro sticks. Mine was fine in hand luggage going out (no signs with Jet2 or at Manchester) coming back left in hand luggage and got through. That being said there was a huge box / stack of them with various GoPro attachments behind the metal detectors going through security. Worth making note of if you have one. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Butterfly, - "do not put boots or helmets in hand luggage - there are signs at the check in desks saying if you do they "will be removed at security and destroyed " . "

We flew to and from Grenoble a few weeks ago and 3 of us had ski boots in our hand luggage. No issues with customs other than me due to loads of electrics / cables. Had to take all out and re-scan but nothing mentioned about the boots.
snow report
@slowjoe, Ah, may have to take note of the boot situation for future. nightmare.
Perhaps we were lucky.
snow conditions
@Llew, you do realise this thread is 6 years old?
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Lol, missed that one Very Happy
ski holidays
Although replying 6 yr old comments to be fair the last reply before the resurrection was only 3 years ago.

I never realised this thread existed. Would be a good one to keep up to date but the discussion thread format doesn't easily lend itself to doing that. Need a database.
latest report
@ster, agreed.
One extra point I have is from Bristol Airport, with the latest campaigns to reduce plastic use and save money I try to take empty water bottles and fill them after through security.
In Bristol the water fountain wasn't the easiest to find, its over the bridge on the way out of the departure area towards the departure terminals 4-?
snow report
I know it’s an old thread but things have changed, not least French passport checks / terrorism alert levels.
Stansted - Grenoble. Last week. One word. DONT.
Stansted.
Awful. Looooong security queues. Arrived kerbside 2.5 hours prior. Barely made the flight!!
Return- crouded transit train, tired airport, (they’ve only refurbed the shiny shops in departures) 30 min wait for passports, then you get 10 minutes to get your car out if you use meet and greet otherwise you get mugged £25. (And that’s 10 mins from when their driver brings it in!)

Grenoble.
Arrivals.
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh. 2.5hours to get through passport checks! Queue throrugh a prefab which is boiling if sunny and looks like would be freezing in cold weather. 1toilet for thousands of people .
Car hire was fairly painless.
Drive to resort 1:30 on google maps. From Lyon google said 1;45. What’s the point of using Grenoble to save 15mins.

Departures
Not too bad, long queue for the TO flights. Ok queue for EZY and BA.
Security ok. Didn’t see boots, but people were taking helmets through ok.
Airside. No facilities apart from 1toilet (i.e 1 stall) small cafe and duty free shop.

Summary. Great ski trip , but LHR-LYS, or LGW-LYS all day long next time.
snow conditions
I know it’s an old thread but things have changed, not least French passport checks / terrorism alert levels.
Stansted - Grenoble. Last week. One word. DONT.
Stansted.
Awful. Looooong security queues. Arrived kerbside 2.5 hours prior. Barely made the flight!!
Return- crouded transit train, tired airport, (they’ve only refurbed the shiny shops in departures) 30 min wait for passports, then you get 10 minutes to get your car out if you use meet and greet otherwise you get mugged £25. (And that’s 10 mins from when their driver brings it in!)

Grenoble.
Arrivals.
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh. 2.5hours to get through passport checks! Queue throrugh a prefab which is boiling if sunny and looks like would be freezing . 1toilet for thousands of people .
Car hire was fairly painless.
Drive to resort 1:30 on google maps. From Lyon google said 1;45. What’s the point of using Grenoble to save 15mins.

Departures
Not too bad, long queue for the TO flights. Ok queue for EZY and BA.
Security ok. Didn’t see boots, but people were taking helmets through ok.
Airside. No facilities apart from 1toilet (i.e 1 stall) small cafe and duty free shop.

Summary. Great ski trip , but LHR-LYS, or LGW-LYS all day long next time.
ski holidays
Geneva last Saturday was a chaotic mess... line for security snaked all throughout the departure area. If you have a priority line designation on your boarding pass but your family doesn't, they are screwed so you have to get in the general line. Apparently you can buy priority security in advance for others but not the day of departure or within 24 hours.

Heaven help anyone who has to pass through check in without some kind of status like Star Alliance Gold.

Once you actually get to security, they're quite nice and helpful but getting there... ugh.

Not sure why helmets are an issue in some airports. Had two of them packed in a carry on bag
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Treviso (Monday evening) exceptionally quick flying in. Flying out though it was pretty much one big queue from after check-in until the gate - no chance of zipping through security and then having a nice long sit down or look at the shops. Flight left on time though, so would certainly use again.

Edinburgh quick in both directions as usual.
snow conditions
ItaloSkier wrote:

Not sure why helmets are an issue in some airports. Had two of them packed in a carry on bag

What was the problem? Never had any issue with them even hanging on the side of hand luggage. But think the time we went thru Geneva they might have been in the check in bags.
snow report
Not sure... I see people wondering about helmets in bags but I'm not sure why security would have a problem with a helmet. Very handy in case the plane goes down.
snow conditions
Innsbruck
Quote:

Collecting skis on arrival - LEAVE the baggage reclaim area! (after picking up any other luggage you have) The skis will be loaded on trolleys outside the terminal building, to the right as you go out of the door. The trolleys are labelled with which flight they came from, but not always easy to see.

But not always. I wandered outside to collect mine once leaving them on the carousel!! Fortunately, sneaking back in to arrival hall in Innsbruck is not difficult.
snow report
Does anyone know if you still collect skis outside the terminal at Salzburg airport, travelling with jet 2
ski holidays
@kb36, it depends. Sometimes in the hall sometimes outside . Don't think it is airline specific more volume related
ski holidays
Nothing like making things simple is there lol, hopefully the screens will make it clear
snow report
Nice to see this thread picked up again.

To continue from last year, I am happy to report that helmets slung onto backpacks as hand luggage were perfectly acceptable to security at London City airport and Geneva (Swiss side).
ski holidays
Hi. What is the view of boots as hand baggage through Geneva ? (sorry but could not get the link in findtransfers.com to work). Their size and weight limitations are the same as BA but they say that "blunt objects of work tools and sports gear," are prohibited. https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Preparation-voyage/Enregistrement-Bagages/Bagages-cabine
Thanks
latest report
@ThreeBlades, I think I took boots in hand luggage on BA ex Geneva about 2 years ago. Certainly BA didn’t have a problem ex LHR.

If you look at the poster in the link from that page you referred to above, it pictures ski poles and a baseball bat as examples of banned sports gear so that should give you an idea of what sort if thing they are banning.

I’m sure you’ll get a more up to date answer and experience but I think you’ll be fine.
snow report
@ThreeBlades, never had a problem with boots as hand luggage at a major airports (including Geneva many times, but not in the last 2 years) flying scheduled airlines.
I do recall multiple comments about one particular airport being funny about it but definitely wasn't Geneva.
snow report
@ThreeBlades, Boots are.fine on BA. I've done that loads.of times.

I've also had tools taken from me. Hex (Allen) keys. I suggested to them the tools really means big spanners etc and not something smaller and blunter than the pen in my pocket. No joy.

So I have experience of both scenarios.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy