Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

Poster: A snowHead
gregh, can't disagree with them.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meteo France Les Arcs forecast reckons heavy precipitation all day Friday and Saturday.

Freeze levels:

1900m Friday 8am
2100m Friday 2pm
1700m Saturday 8am
1700m Saturday 2pm

Then on Sunday morning, O°C down to 1400, overcast, no snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odd, Sunday looks quite warm again to me as the LP moves south and brings warmer air round the top of it. Oh well. Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow-forecast has reduced the amount of snow by a third, and also increased temps, FL over 2500m on Sunday Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, looking about a bit it depends on which model you look at. GFS still has that Italian LP, but ECMWF has it further north, and both UKMO and FAX charts have it further east and more filled out. All of which would drastically change the temps and snowfall. I've stuck with GFS above as it has been pretty insistent about it being there. We'll see though as I'd expect some convergence between the models tomorrow (they all had it there earlier in the week, so it may be that GFS is behind - but it has had one more run, so its disappearance may be down to the data in the midnight runs).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
Meteo France Les Arcs forecast reckons heavy precipitation all day Friday and Saturday.

Freeze levels:

1900m Friday 8am
2100m Friday 2pm
1700m Saturday 8am
1700m Saturday 2pm

Then on Sunday morning, O°C down to 1400, overcast, no snow.

I think you mean snow levels, the freezing levels are: 2000 2300 1900 1900; snow will fall in air temps up to +2C.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry, snow levels. Strange about the variance for Sunday, maybe someone typed a 1 by mistake, instead of a 2!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My bunions are aching - it must be going to snow !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, bunions ? My entire right foot hurts, I can't stand on it, it's really not looking good at all, I've not been able to ski all week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, how did you manage that? Too much skiing, perhaps? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, no, it was a horrific sleeping accident Very Happy I got up the other morning and it just hurt, I guess it's a trapped nerve or similar. Ironically, Saturday morning I hopped to the car and it wouldn't start so I had to get that fixed as well. At least the car is OK now though ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had snow in 7-8C in the UK last friday. The snow can fall through warmer air if the dewpoints are low enough - you need pretty dry air for that to happen though (if I recall correctly). When it does though it tends to bring the air temps down towards, or to, the dewpoint temperature. If you think about it, the snow experiences the temp of the wet bulb as that's effectively what it is - though that suggests that it is melting/evaporating so explains how it turns to rain and and also brings the temps down as it does so. Sorry, a little off topic but it is connected.

PG, Meteo France are probably basing theirs on different models - not GFS, which is what I was basing my thoughts on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, could it be gout ? Many people get their first attack overnight. Go to bed fine - - wake up limping Larry. Get a uric acid level check if you think it might be. It's a form of arthritis and overdoing the red wine etc does not cause it but overindulging combined with dehydration could trigger an attack. Loads of water and some anti-inflamatories is the usual treatment for an acute attack. For some reason I've never understood, you cannot take uric acid lowering drugs during the acute phase.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, I hope not Crying or Very sad It's subsiding now fortunately, so hopefully it'll be fine by this weekend.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely looking more promising! This morning's Meteo France forecast for 3 days, Les Arcs.

Thursday 8am 0°C@1700m sunny
Thursday 5pm 0°C@2300m sunny

Friday 8am 0°C@1700m light cloud
Friday 5pm 0°C@2400m snow level 1700m light snow

Saturday 8am 0°C@1900m snow level 1700m heavy snow
Saturday 5pm 0°C@1900m snow level 1700m heavy snow

Sunday 8am 0°C@1400m snow level 1400m heavy snow
Sunday 5pm 0°C@1800m snow level 1800m light snow
snow report
I hope your right PG...........
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Definitely looking more promising!

Ah, that's a nice post to wake up to!
latest report
ise, definitely sounds like gout to me although it usually starts with the joint on the big toe, I have just been diagnosed with it. Its treated with non steroidal anti inflammatory tablets. these reduce the pain and inflammation. If they don't work they put you on tablets to reduce/control uric acid in your blood. Its caused by sudden exercise, stress, alcohol and rich food such as liver.

If it does go or get any better after a day or so get a blood test and see a doctor

Sorry to go off topic

Back on topic forecast looks good to keep snowing and the FL not too bad either need more heavy snow up to the 23rd then I'll be really happy snowHead
latest report
Russell, once you know about it you can usually manage things to stop the painful attacks. And I know a lifelong teetotaller who hardly ever eats red meat but who has chronic gout. It's not all about rich foods and booze. Why is only one foot affected at any one time ? Fortunately so ........ wink
Previous thread about NSAIDS, gout and much else including vultures and Indian cows - oh the joys of snowHeads thread diversions wink http://www.snow.co.nz/media/media_index.asp?pressReleaseKey=1784
Back to the snow forecasts and enjoy your EOSB trip. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 14-04-05 9:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, I used to be veggie up until 6 months ago and stress is high at the moment due to divorce so I have put it down to a change in diet and stress. got the !st attack the after I came back from Banff so thought it was a ski injury but hard to fathom as boots are rigid around toes so I blamed my new custom footbeds at first.
snow conditions
Russell, flying and dehydration probably had as much to do with it as anything else. I used to regularly get the 'twinges' after long haul flights and overdoing the free champers. You lose a lot of fluids skiing too. Dry air, much panting, maybe also sweating. Water, water, water .....
ski holidays
Thanks guys, but it's not gout, gout's a form of arthritis or inflammation of a joint, the pain I'm getting isn't in a joint.
snow report
ise, hope you're right but believe me when it really kicks in the pain comes from every bit of the affected foot, ankle, knee, elbow or whatever. No way is it localised to a joint although as Russell says the classic 1st occurrence is usually a throbbing big toe. If you are in the clear ise perhaps our diversion might help others.
ski holidays
feck me, snow-forecast are forecasting big snow 3 Vallees 1350m they have 11cm Fri night, 20cm+ Sat, 8cm Sunday, 6cm Mon, 11cm tues

at 3200m they are forecasting 77cm Friday, 65cm Sat, 20cm Sun, 22cm Mon, 28cm Tuesday!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
gregh, there's always a but! On Monday O°C is forecast to soar right up to 2900m in the Tarentaise Sad Sad Sad
snow report
yeh snow-forecast had high f/l on Monday, but they just changed it, f/l back down to 2000m on Monday, they had it around 2600m previously
snow conditions
Is there any snow base left around the trees or has it all gone? If it's as cloudy and snowy as it says I'l be wanting to play around the trees in Courchevel for visibility reasons!!!
snow report
Reasonable chance of snow all next week with more showery stuff after the weekend. Looks like it could well cool down a bit second half of the week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky, Very Happy hey, I understood that one wink
snow conditions
Meteo France/Chamonix is showing great forecast for the coming few days, low f/l and moderate falls:

CHAMONIX VALLEY AND MONT-BLANC AREA WEATHER FORECAST

ISSUED AT 08:53 FRIDAY 15 2005
VALID FROM : FRIDAY APRIL 15 2005 -- UNTIL : WEDNESDAY APRIL 20 2005

GENERAL SYNOPSIS
Low 1001 hpa, English Channel, drifting southeast and filling slightly. Linked disturbance, very active, slowly crossing over the Alps until Monday. Fœhn wind period ahead.

TODAY - FRIDAY APRIL 15
Mainly cloudy - fœhn wind - showers at night
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : mostly cloudy - cloudy at times with sunny spell - becoming overcast towards the evening - period of sunshine close to 20%.
PRECIPITATION : none.
WIND - ground level : gusty fœhn wind - locally strong.
- mid mountain : S light to moderate.
- high mountain : S moderate to strong.
TEMPERATURE : min +8°C - max +14°C.
ISOTHERME 0°C : 2400 -> 2200 m.
ISOTHERME -10°C : 3800 m.

OVERNIGHT
Overcast - becoming rainy
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud) : overcast.
PRECIPITATION : showers in the first part of the night - continuous precipitation later - rain-snow limit dropping towards 1000 m - expected snowfall towards 1800 m : 5-10 cm.
WIND - aloft : SW moderate -> NE moderate.
TEMPERATURE : +1°C.

TOMORROW SATURDAY APRIL 16
Gloomy and cold - snow
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : mostly cloudy or overcast - period of sunshine close to 0%.
PRECIPITATION : continuous and moderate - rain-snow limit towards 1000 m - expected snowfall towards 1800 m : 30-40 cm.
WIND - aloft : E -> N moderate.
TEMPERATURE : min -1°C - max +1°C.

SUNDAY APRIL 17
Gloomy and cold - snow
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : mostly cloudy or overcast - period of sunshine close to 0%.
PRECIPITATION : continuous and light - moderate at times - rain-snow limit towards 1000 m - expected snowfall towards 1800 m : 20-30 cm.
WIND - aloft : N moderate.
TEMPERATURE : stable.

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL WEDNESDAY APRIL 20 2005
Monday : changeable - becoming unsettled in the afternoon. Tuesday : rainy. Wednesday : improving. Outlook is uncertain.
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Sunday - poor thereafter.

Reports
Chamonix-ville
45.9 N 6.9 E - Altitude 1042 m
15 April 7 h
Temperature +8.6 °C
Relative humidity 54 %
Wind NNW 8 km/h
Pressure 1005 hpa - falling
Pressure at 1042 m 884 mb
Precipitation last 6h 0.0 mm
Skies partly cloudy
Visibility 35000 m
Aiguille du Midi
Altitude 3845 m
15 April 7 h
Temperature -10 °C
Wind S 40 km/h
Relative humidity - %
Le Lac Blanc
Altitude 2330 m
15 April 7 h
Snow depth -- cm
Wind -- km/h
Gusts -- km/h
Temperature -0.2 °C
Relative humidity -- %

w w w . c h a m o n i x - w e a t h e r . c o m
Chamonix Valley and Mont-Blanc area weather information service
© chamonix-weather.com
ski holidays
Do you have a Friday forecast Skanky, especially for Courcheval? Most places I can check seem to agree on heavy snow, and then lighter snow during next week with colder temps, with a slight blip Sunday night/Monday please tell me you still agree Very Happy

regards,

greg
snow report
Not sure why you trust me as much or over the professionals, but ever obliging....

Okay, not sure I can place Courcheval on the map (is it north or south of the Italian/Swiss border - extrapolating it westwards), so I'll do a general French Alps summary.

Currently, the Cold Front moving eastwards seems to have slowed down so there seems to be less precipitation so far than predicted by GFS etc. The FAX chart for tomorrow morning shows it affected by a LP that forms in the morth Med. This brings easterlies on its northen side which stall the front and in fact turn it into a westerly moving warm front. GFS shows this LP and stalls the front overnight right over the western Alps. It does predict most snow for tonight, so we'll have to see how that goes. The bulk of it seems to be in the southern regions. Freezing levels should (relative to recently) quite low.

Saturday and Saturday night the front stalls and we get quite temperature gradient build up over the area around the Swiss/French/Italian border so there could well be quite a lot of convective precipitation there. The warmer air is to the east. Sunday should see some more precipitation, but as the LPs fuill and move away, things should warm up a bit again (though nothing major in France) and it will probably all die out overnight.

Monday the models have a complex set of LPs over the UK bringing cold NW air down into the continent. A weak warm front should move through first of all on Monday morning, followed that afternoon by a stronger cold front that will restore cooler temps and bring more precipitation.

Tuesday, as the LP systems over the UK move SE into the continent, it brings cooler air down so things look reasonably cool that day.

Wednesday all three models have central Europe in a slack northerly flow which continues the trend from Tuesday.

Thursday a small LP is shown on ECMWF & GFS (UKMO does not go that far, but shows little indication of it the day before). This would bring warmer air (though again nothing warmer than now) and again a good chance of some localised, heavy precipitation. As it moves away, it will drag colder air back down on it's western side bringing the temps back to similar as Tues/Wed.

I've missed the charts for the last couple of days so don't how high the confidence is in that, but it's looking pretty favourable.
snow report
>> Not sure why you trust me as much or over the professionals, but ever obliging....

cos you were spot on last time!

thanks alot.

Greg
latest report
Just got sent some pics from Tignes - http://www.snowstarholidays.com/ pics on their website don't appear to be working but 2foot+ in Tignes overnight and still coming down, hopefully it's heading towards 3 Vallees!!
snow conditions
according to reporters on skipass.com (the ones that trust tartiflette) there is a great deal of snow coming down in the Three Valleys and generally around the Rhone Alps but there is not a lot so far in the Haute Savoie or the Beaufortain. It would be interesting to get a first hand report from Chamonix. MF are still forecasting a lot of snow here over the next few days, but so far a lot less than forecast. However the temperature has dropped several degrees, quite suddenly, in the last couple of hours, which is encouraging.
snow report
pam w, I'm no expert but basically (and you can confirm with skanky, ), the cold front and snow is moving up from S/SE, down here (nr Cannes ) we can see the snow on the A-M. Last night was full of heavy precipitation and it has been followed by cold weather . As long as the front can keep moving ( and it is still cold/windy), I think you can bank on it coming through ...
snow conditions
Newbie50, thanks for your words of comfort. we sat and watched tennis on French TV this afternoon - coming from Monte Carlo, where spectators were wrapped in scarves and hoodies and looked freezing cold.
snow conditions
pam w, can't give you anything from Chamonix but at Les Arcs, it snowed pretty hard overnight Fri/Sat and all Saturday morning until I left Arc 1950 at 2pm.

Here's some pics all taken between midday and 2pm today (16th) except the second one which is from Friday at midday for a comparison. Given my limited geographical knowledge of the area I'm not sure my post helps at all Puzzled Puzzled but some of the snowy pics are nice so I thought I would share them here and in the snow forecast thread - please forgive my indulgence Blush Blush Blush Blush
snow report
it's been snowing hard in the Beaufortain since about 4 am, temperature at 1500m is minus 3. That probably means that Flaine and Chamonix have also had a lot. What a bonus.
ski holidays
Another 20 cms last night in La Rosiere and it's been snowing continously today, forecast is for more snow this week. Looking good for the end of season.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy