Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's snowing in La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Tony, yes but no reduction in cost I'm afraid.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David@traxvax, What, for you, or for us having to share? Razz
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neither, unfortunately.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It hasn't really snowed hard since Monday 21st Feb., but weather conditions have been good, very cold, clear and bright. Lots of snow here over 2 1/2 metres at the top and easily a metre and a half at village level. All runs open and some terrific skiing to be had, off-piste has been fabulous but avalanche warnings at 3 so you need to know where to go or hire a guide. Not so good in La Thuile unfortunately but all runs there are open as well, although some pistes hard and icy, the blacks 2 & 3 down to the village need care.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 26-02-05 18:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David, Blacks 2 and 3 need crampons not care, good job there is the Rascard to recuperate in. We were amazed at the difference in snow quantity/quality over in La Thuile.

CP
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, Keep it coming. Cant have too much info
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great day's skiing today, off-piste has got a bit cruddy but piste conditions superb. Took Tony Ellwood to Italy this AM but we didn't stay long, conditions much better in La Ros, although we did see that heli-skiing in operation today, first time this week. The sun has shone all day, which has cleared some of the roads in the village but still very cold, another -15 day. Snow is forecast for Sunday PM so anyone out here in the next few weeks should have a great time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it started snowing on Sat night and was still snowing when I left at 7.15 on Sunday. Looked to be about another 10 -15 cms of fresh. Had a great week although La Thuile was a bit disappointing, the terrain above Fourcalz was practically bare, it looked as if the slopes had been severely wind blasted. Pistes 2, 3 & 5, the black runs down to the village, were all icy although 5 had slightly better conditions. Pistes 7 & 18 were the best routes to la Thuile. All the pistes in La Rosiere were open with some fantastic skiing, especially Saturady when we appeared to have the ntire resort to ourselves, until about 11.00 when the massed ranks of Italians arrived. Off piste had got a bit cruddy by the end of week, there had been a sucession of very cold days, but the new snow will have freshened things up a bit. Roll on April, unless I can sneak a long weekend sometime in March.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to David@traxvax and thanks to La Rosiere, had an amazing time there last week Very Happy . Really I can only echo what David has written - the snow conditions were superb, and even with my limited experience of skiing, these were easily the best conditions that I have ever come across.

I am now a fully paid up La Ros supporter - this is a great resort and whilst I can accept that the layout of the runs and type of terrain might not be to everyone's tastes, I defy anyone not to have a great time. This was the "second" week of the half-term hols and it is no exaggeration to say that the pistes were deserted. OK then, that probably was exaggerating a bit, but it was really quiet and you could easily find pistes where you were the only skier in sight. The experience of skiing over into Italy and La Thuile is one not to be missed.

The pistes were well groomed and as David has mentioned, they all have a great snow base, and with the fresh snow the week before we arrived - it all looked and skied beautifully.

The resort itself is very easy to get around with only two areas to bus to, and which are linked by runs anyway. Very easy access to bars/restaurants and because the village is so high to start with, it is easy to ski back at lunch time to where you can meet friends and family and grab some great food.

I will be posting a report on David's chalet under the appropriate link, but if anyone wants to PM me about La Ros or the chalet, then please get in touch.

Overall - please please please can I go back NOW! (especially after one day back at work) Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, How do you think the snow will hold up to a week of warm weather and poosibly rain?. Have we any worries for 27th.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Forsty, you shouldn't have any problems it's still cold and there's masses of snow. There is a forecast for a little more snow this week but the freezing level is only at 1500 metres, no forecast for rain on the local meteo.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty, well there's good news and less good news. The good news is rain is not likely, the less good news, temperatures have risen dramatically, local meteo is forecasting sunny days at least until the weekend. Off-piste conditions likely to be hazardous, the avalanche warnings are now level 3 throughout the Haute Tarentaise.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Off-piste conditions likely to be hazardous,

Corduroy only for me I'm afraid. Why do we have this obsession with weather and snow onditions, as there is booger all we can do about it. Having said that, any further hot press info is greatly appreciated
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should we be changing the title to: Its Raining in La Rosiere!. Meteo.fr has a 3 half days of substantial rain and 2 of light rain with snow levels of the follloing 2300 2400 2400 2700 2500 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad. Never seen rain in a ski resort. Can imagine that it is not good news for the snow quality, but has anybody any first hand experience. On the bright side; at least La Ros has just about the best snow depth in the Savoie.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The long range forecast is for similar temperatures through to next weekend Confused ... with perhaps more rain on Saturday. The hope is that the rain will pass us by - with reasonable snow depths around the Tarentaise we can live with the sunny, hot weather for a while, but it's the rain that does the real damage.

Davidof mentioned the instability of the layers - some pistes were closed off around Les Arcs yesterday as they were beginning to avalanche in the afternoon....
snow report
Frosty, think positively, rain in a ski resort is not a pleasant experience.
ski holidays
"I'm trying, I'm trying"
ski holidays
Can anyone comment on on-the-ground conditions at present? Am off to Sainte Foy at the weekend and geting a touch nervous....
latest report
It was raining today, so i don't think anyone was too bothered about checking snow conditions. Never mind, there's at least one bar in Ste Foy.
latest report
Thanks David Confused I will probably drive up to La Rosiere for a day while we are there. Any advice on parking, day lift passes etc to make the most of the day- and somewhere for a non-ski-ing wife to sit with a drink?
ski holidays
Wopple, parking is no problem in La Rosiere just drive right on up to the centre of the village, no charge for parking. You'll see the main lifts, lift office. I believe your Ste Foy weekly pass will give you a discounted rate, it works that way for us but you have to show your lift pass to the ticcket office.. Near to the lifts etc is the Relais St Bernard hotel, there are 3 bars/restaurants there all with a sunny, south facing terrace, Le Petit Relais is at the far end, very good for linhes, apres ski etc but the best bar is Willy's bar right in the middle , good drinks, reasonable prices and stunning views from the terrace. I hope I wasn;'t being too desparaging about Ste Foy but we only go there when its had a fresh dump and it does lose the sun quite early in the afternoon. You can always PM me for more information.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, it snowed last night on the mountain, about 20cms of fresh powder today and it's forecast to get colder with more snow Sat & Sun. Hope this cheers U up a little.
snow report
David@traxvax,I LUV YOU Shocked Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
Frosty, think positively, rain in a ski resort is not a pleasant experience.

Yep, having endured the Whistler monsoon season, I can second that, though shooting class-III rapids on piste is interesting!! Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
stuarth, The purpose of the exercise is to cheer me up wink
ski holidays
Last post before the journey. Depth at altitude has increased from that of yesterday and ony a couple of cm gone in resort so fingers crossed. I would rather ski soft snow than ice any day Very Happy. We are taking our wellies just in case. Shall report back with an unbiased view of La Rosiere. Have a good one.
snow report
Snowed in La Rosiere today but very wet. I hope Frosty the Snowman is enjoying himself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just walked in the door. Fantastic week, skied fresh powder on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, full report once Ive had some kip. Expectations have been well exceeded
snow report
Was in La Thuile over the weekend and skied both there and La Rossiere. I was amazed at the difference between two adjacent resorts. On Saturday it was foggy but calm initially in La T, with visibility virtually zero, so we went to La Ros, where the sun was out and the sky was blue. However, in La Ros, the wind was up and on those long slow chairs, we found it rather unbearable and so headed back to La T, where, in the afternoon, the sun was also out, but none of the wind. Yesterday, similar story, strong winds in La Ros, but only calmness and warmth in La T.

Snow-wise, they are really struggling in La T, with the resort side very bare and many runs/lifts closed. Out of the sun the pistes are extremely hard packed. In La Ros the situation is a lot better and the snow is holding up pretty well and the pistes are much softer and more pleasant - if only it wasn't for the wind and the uncovered chairs.

Very impressed with both resorts overall and will be back again.
latest report
Just re-read all the older posts, it is good to be able to read them understanding the runs, restaurants and terrain that people are talking about. I would thoroughly endorse David@traxvax recommendation of Le Rascard. We stumbled on it rather unbeknowingly the first evening and went back for the other two evenings as well as it had been so good.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Was there also on Saturday and can vouch that the wind was from the north and FREEZING. Our party split up and half went to the San Bernardo pass area and half long lunched and did La Rosiere. The wind was worse on the 2 fast chairs as it was "in yer face". I am similarly impressed, but keep it quite. Did you ski friday as it was one of the great days out io have had, with good piste and fresh snow high up.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, no, we only arrived at 5:00 on the friday afternoon. Sounds like we missed out on the best day then - typical for me!!

I had been to the 3V for the weekend at Easter and it had been so warm there that I was caught less prepared than I should have been for the slight drop in temperature and the strong wind this weekend.
latest report
Just posted my trip report in " Resorts" and some pics in media zone. Dont worry Ray, 95% of those on the hill in LR were trying to get out of the wind. Usually when there is a cold wind it is cold generally. Saturday it was warm but with a freezing wind!! Very nasty as most were underdressed.
snow report
Another 20 cms since yesterday with more forecast over the weekend and on Tues. The temperature has fallen as well, minus figures for the last few days. Looking good fro the last week of the season.
ski holidays
David@traxvax,
we'll be out there on Saturday for the weekend. Save us some!
DJ
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy