Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are you fit enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

stronger you are the better you will ski....period

Nope!

The better technique you have, teh better you'll ski.

I suppose if your technique is already near perfect, then fitness comes into play at competition level. Or, if your technique is cr0p, you can also compensate with strength. For a while, that is. Fore the rest, majority skiers will ski better by skiing with better technique.

I have always been quite fit (run/cycle and do other competative sports regularly, YEAR ROUND, not just before ski season). But I was usually exhausted at the end of a day. And that was when I was in my "younger" days too.

Now, with improved technique, I am able to ski all day (1st to last lift), and come back for the same day after day. And that was including bumps and off-piste. I don't really feel I ski "hard". So even if I were not quite fit, I think I can still ski just the same.

The only exception I see is for lessons. Since it often involves doing things "new", it does tax the body a lot more. There, being fit does help to learn better. But for general skiing around for fun, I don't see fitness has much to do with enjoyment. Technique is everything!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc, dont agree....skier (a) and skier (b) are both technically equal..skier (a) is a fat slob... skier (b) is at optimum fitness level......who will ski better for longer?.....

another fact is that the fitter you are, the better your technique will be...this is true of any phisically challenging sport...

okbye
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
the fitter you are, the better your technique will be

That's pish, I will always be terrible at golf no matter how fit I get (keeping in mind I am still pretty young + fit) whereas John Daly will always be good no matter how many more pies he eats. Fitness may not make you a better technical skier but it would mean you could hold your skill level for longer in the skiing day than John Daly on his B5's.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv thats pish, john daly would be a much better golfer if he was fit...fact....also laying off the bottle a bit might help!.......

okbye
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thin people ski better than fat people.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowpatrol, he was pretty heavy when he won his majors, you can't get much better than that. (In fairness he does make golf a little bit interesting and isn't playing so bad just now).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowpatrol wrote:
abc, dont agree....skier (a) and skier (b) are both technically equal..skier (a) is a fat slob... skier (b) is at optimum fitness level......who will ski better for longer?.....

I already answered that question:

Quote:
I don't really feel I ski "hard". So even if I were not quite fit, I think I can still ski just the same.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv, true, he has always looked like canada, even when he won his majors..but could he have won more if he was fit? he does make the game more interesting but he needs to get more consistent so we can see him play saturday and sunday too....

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I reckon if you are skiing for long periods where your technique is being stretched fitness becomes a limiting factor, tis with me anyway.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HH wrote:
snowpatrol, OH/ph has the skiers edge. Taking up loads of room in our bedroom. It's your for a fiver. Pick up only.

I suspect he won't be too pleased at you offering over £1000 worth of equipment for a fiver Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
I reckon if you are skiing for long periods where your technique is being stretched fitness becomes a limiting factor, tis with me anyway.

Exactly, and at the risk of defending Snappity-troll wink , that's what his primary argument seems to be, amongst many, many other things. Not that he actually needs much help defending himself........................

Jeeeez, I'm probably not well liked on here for my opinions, and now I'm allying myself to someone who makes me look like an amateur.

Ok Bye.................. I'll get my coat.

John.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney,

Laughing Laughing Laughing

but we really shouldn't bother with the plank... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
Quote:

stronger you are the better you will ski....period

Nope!

The better technique you have, teh better you'll ski.

This is true, but that doesn't mean what Snowpatrol said is not true, so your "Nope!" is wrong.

Quote:

I suppose if your technique is already near perfect, then fitness comes into play at competition level. Or, if your technique is cr0p, you can also compensate with strength. For a while, that is. Fore the rest, majority skiers will ski better by skiing with better technique.

Fitness comes into play at any level.

There is no doubt whatsoever that for a given level of fitness, you will ski better if your technique is better.

I do not think there is much doubt either that for a given level of technique, you will ski better if you are fitter. You will certainly be able to keep sking at your best for longer.

The two things are complementary, not exclusive.

Obviously, for a medium level (technique) skier, there comes a point at which you are fit enough to be able to ski at your best all day, and then it doesn't make much difference if you get even fitter. But I think that level of fitness is higher than most of us manage Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
abc wrote:

Fitness comes into play at any level.

There is no doubt whatsoever that for a given level of fitness, you will ski better if your technique is better.

I do not think there is much doubt either that for a given level of technique, you will ski better if you are fitter. You will certainly be able to keep sking at your best for longer.

The two things are complementary, not exclusive.

Obviously, for a medium level (technique) skier, there comes a point at which you are fit enough to be able to ski at your best all day, and then it doesn't make much difference if you get even fitter. But I think that level of fitness is higher than most of us manage Sad

T Bar wrote:
I reckon if you are skiing for long periods where your technique is being stretched fitness becomes a limiting factor.

That's the best description of the interaction.

A lot of skiers are happy with the way they ski and ski within what they can handle. For them, having better fitness may or may not make skiing more enjoyable (or enjoy skiing longer).

It really is, when and only when, your technique is inadequate for the condition, then your fitness will be the limiting factor. For when technique is inadequate, you're naturally compensating with brute force. That makes you tired. That's the only time that the more fit you are, the longer you can last with brute force.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HH wrote:
snowpatrol, OH/ph has the skiers edge. Taking up loads of room in our bedroom. It's your for a fiver. Pick up only.

I'll take it. When do you want me to collect?
latest report
abc wrote:

T Bar wrote:
I reckon if you are skiing for long periods where your technique is being stretched fitness becomes a limiting factor.

That's the best description of the interaction.

I disagree.

The long periods bit, yes obviously, the longer you spend at any one time, then the more important fitness becomes. But it doesn't have to be "when your technique is stretched".

Quote:

A lot of skiers are happy with the way they ski and ski within what they can handle. For them, having better fitness may or may not make skiing more enjoyable (or enjoy skiing longer).

Undoubtedly, but that isn't really the point.

Quote:

It really is, when and only when, your technique is inadequate for the condition, then your fitness will be the limiting factor. For when technique is inadequate, you're naturally compensating with brute force. That makes you tired. That's the only time that the more fit you are, the longer you can last with brute force.

I have no idea why you are bring "brute force" into this, since nobody else is making any such suggestion.

It really and absolutely is NOT the case that "when and only when, your technique is inadequate for the condition, then your fitness will be the limiting factor.". Your technique can be as good as possible, but if you are not fit enough, that will limit how you can ski.

If you are going to just ski one (shortish) run at a time then take a significant break, sure your fitness will not limit you much. But that is not how most people want to ski.
snow report
alex_heney,
Quote:

HH wrote:

I suspect he won't be too pleased at you offering over £1000 worth of equipment for a fiver

HE PAID £1000 FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^oh oh...someones in deep $h!t!!!!........HH, still taking a fiver for it?..............

okbye
snow conditions
Think we might be best hanging on to it as THAT really is the only bedroom activity he's going to be seeing in a while Laughing
ski holidays
HH, Laughing Laughing
latest report
HH, i could still call round????????

okbye
snow report
snowpatrol, do that and OH will find another use for his skiers edge ski pole, I think! Shocked
latest report
HH,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn...kinky.....ok, i'm in..........

okbye
ski holidays
HH wrote:
alex_heney,
Quote:

HH wrote:

I suspect he won't be too pleased at you offering over £1000 worth of equipment for a fiver

HE PAID £1000 FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is roughly the retail cost of it.
snow report
alex_heney, yep, I asked him. Tis true. Shocked
ski holidays
HH, that could have gone towards that tignes weekend you pulled out of due to lack of funds........ Toofy Grin .......

okbye
ski holidays
snowpatrol, I'll let him off, he did buy it about 2-3 years ago. But if I had sold it second hand then.... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
HH, you were selling it to me for a fiver....that wouldnt have paid for magazines at the airport!.....

okbye
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FOR SALE one skiers edge coat stand.
£999 ono. Very Happy
ski holidays
ph, Sorry if I got you in trouble with the OH. I assumed she was aware of the cost of those things, and was joking, and it was intended to be a light-hearted response.
snow report
alex_heney, marriage wrecker...............

okbye
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
HH wrote:
rob@rar, might I suggest you take a quick look at the Would you take advantage? thread... Wink Laughing
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
HH wrote:
rob@rar, might I suggest you take a quick look at the Would you take advantage? thread... Wink Laughing

I was just offering to help out fellow snowHeads by clearing a little bit of space in their bedroom Wink
snow conditions
Not sure how direct the link is here.

I'm fitter than I've ever been. I did my first Ironman last year, and am training for this year's 13 hour struggle. 14 hours a week training and my legs feel it daily. However my skiing is about the same level as it was five years ago, not much has changed. At the recreational level I do really wonder how much fitness plays a part. We have one chap that skis with our group that is well over 110kg and terribly unfit, he skis amazingly well. In his case it's all learned, all ski hours under his belt, he grew up in a ski area and I don't think any amount of training will ever give me his technique. You need a basic level of fitness, but I think most people should survive a week's holiday seven hours skiing a day on a fairly basic level of fitness. OK I don't get "leg burn" to any extent, and I feel fine after a day's hard skiing, but there is no way I am skiing better....... in fact I think my technique if anything is getting lazier.

Hmm maybe just me.
latest report
If I had to make a choice between a high level of fitness and a high level of skill I'd take the skills every time. Obviously both is ideal, but skills without fitness means fun and aches, fitness without skills means frustration that can easily last from first lift to last.
snow conditions
alex_heney, wink
latest report
alex_heney Very Happy
OH was only bothered that she could have spent the grand on a cross trainer if she had been given the choice.
When i bought the skiers edge we had a games room set up with a tv on the wall facing it. I used to get up and do 30 minutes on the skiers edge every morning. It is a good bit of kit and does feel as near as you can get to skiing. You can adjust it for mogul training etc. The games room is now a kids playroom Sad and so the skiers edgeis now in the bedroom. Im not sure how you could incorporate the skiiers edge in bedroom antics but i think we could have fun trying. Very Happy
snow report
ph, i've drawn out a few diagrams for you....................they're in the post...........

okbye
snow report
As long as i get a good CV work out i will be happy.
snow report
oh you'll get a good pump all right........... wink

okbye
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy