Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whister Conditions > The Truth

Poster: A snowHead
mij, we haven't had a great deal of hassle really, only going out and not signing the contract, but I think that is partly our fault as we didn't realise they had to send us the Projet d'Acte first, which wasn't ready.We really love the resort we're buying in (Serre Chevalier), and the French there are all extremely friendly and welcoming. I'm not deluding myself on the snow conditions in Whistler. I figured that the poor base would mean bad snow, but there you go, some more experienced people have said otherwise. The only thing I haven't done yet is booked lift passes as I wanted to see how things developed first.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're still wondering about conditions in Whistler, I posted a report in "Resorts." Basically it is fairly icy in most areas, but with some decent powder if you are willing to hike/do very tough runs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well today I did the tough runs on Blackcomb - the snow in Spanky's ladder (high entrance to ruby bowl and in diamond bowl) and the chimney was pretty good. Snow in Jersey cream bowl looked pretty good too, but didn't really fancy the 'drop and stop' entrance!
Definitely getting pretty icy and mogully elsewhere. Makes the steeps extra 'steep' - mistakes are not really an option Shocked
Still lots of snowmaking happening so the main pistes are not too bad, a big dump of real snow would be nice though Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not likely to come for a while though Sad
Do Flute Bowl tommorow, you won't be dissapointed. Similar to Spanky's in that it's cut-up powder, but the powder is much deeper in Flute and a bit less cut up. Also, it's a nice wide open bowl, very calming just to cruise in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from Whistler (skied 23 Feb - 4 Mar), I know there are several snowHeads going out there in the next few weeks so thought I'd post a snow report.

Before I flew out I was a little despondent about the prospects for this holiday - there was fresh powder all over the Alps and more new snow falling in the UK than in Western Canada Sad

As it turned out, it was a great trip and I had some ski days in Whistler last week that were are as enjoyable as any I’ve had anywhere, any year. Very Happy

The good news:
There’s a lot of great riding to be had if you stay up high: Peak chair, Blackcomb Glacier, Spankey’s, Flute and parts of Harmony Bowl were all nice, if icy in places. And it doesn’t take much snow to turn things around in the high alpine - after the meagre 10cm dump last Monday night there was still tremendous skiing in Whistler bowl and Flute bowl for several days after. I skiied in Whistler bowl with stuarth on Thursday (hi Stuart!) and the snow was gorgeous: chopped-up powder but light and fluffy as a pillow.

It was a very pleasant change to ski Whistler in clear blue skies and blazing sun. Now I know what the mountains and the valley actually look like Very Happy

If you enjoy big moguls on black diamond runs then you are in for a treat.. (or not as the case may be)… snowHead

To their credit, they are making colossal efforts with grooming, snow-cannons and harvesting to keep the ski-outs open. I’ve never seen so much snow-making going on in one place. On a cold day Lower Dave Murray was actually in better nick than I’ve seen it in supposed ‘good’ years.

People seem to be compensating for the snow drought by partying even harder than usual this year Toofy Grin

Food, drinks and ski gear are very cheap on the current exchange rate. Drinking and eating out in Whistler works out cheaper than going out in Bristol right now Shocked

And the less good…
Despite the new snowfalls and the up-and-down freezing level, the lower slopes are still very brown and it looked like May rather than Feb/Mar. It will need some major storms to turn that around - we’re talking several feet of new snow needed, not centimetres. Pistes below 1800m (Christines, The Roundhouse station) are scratchy at best. All gladed (tree-line) black diamonds are closed, there’s just not enough cover. Most runs below 1200m are closed – those open are marginal and mostly man-made. Watch out for ice, rocks, exposed earth. These lower runs are like solid concrete in the morning and like gloopy wet caster sugar in the afternoon (actually I quite enjoy ripping through wet spring snow on the way home but call me a masochist Twisted Evil ) On Blackcomb – everything in the zone to the right of Solar Coaster / Wizard lifts and below Expressway on the map is closed. Lower Cruiser to Blackcomb base and the link back into Whistler village are open though. On Whistler – most runs below the Chic Pea (1600m) are either officially closed or else very marginal – the only ski-outs to the valley are Lower Dave Murray to Creekside, and from the bottom of Emerald chair via the Olympic to the Village.

On several days it turned too warm and rainy for snow-making on the lower runs, even at night Sad

I haven't pulled any punches on the bad news. But to those worried about the snow for your trip - don't be, Whistler-Blackcomb is a huge area and there's more than enough good stuff to keep you busy. And a bad year by Whistler's standards is not *that* bad – I can remember doing several weeks in the Alps with worse snow in Jan/Feb/Mar in recent years.

Best advice is get up high, stay high, enjoy a cheap beer and a hot-tub afterwards snowHead Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyrotten, Thats a great report, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post for us.

Glad you had a good trip. Tell me, how was skiing with Stuart, hope he didnt knock YOU off of any runs on to a hard, flat road 6 feet below? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good to know that up high is worth it. I expect the bottom to be shocking, after all i was there in January when all the rain kicked in, but if the top is holding up then great.

12 sleeps... snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnnyrotten, thanks for your cheery report. I was indeed getting rather despondent, going out to Whistler for Easter, and thinking I should have stuck to good old Val Thorens or La Plagne as usual. It seems it might be worth packing the ski boots after all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, I felt the same. I booked my Whistler trip last Nov and in the run-up to flying out I was wishing I'd booked Europe instead. Don't know why I worried in the end. Bad winter or not, it's difficult not to have a good holiday in Whistler. (well unless you're my jinxed boarder buddy who broke his shoulder on day 2 of our first visit 4 years ago and then did a knee ligament on day 2 of this trip rolling eyes ...)

Robbie, yes the bottom of the hill is in crappy shape, unless things change drastically then go expecting late spring conditions. Don't take new skis - unless you don't mind them getting dinged. The high alpine snow is staying sweet though. And Stuart didn't have to push me off anything - we were too busy trying to stay upright on the steep stuff that the potty Extremely Canadian guide was trying to chuck us down Shocked

stuarth - if you read this, did the Extremely Canadian photos come out? Mail me, or post them on snowMedia if they're good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnnyrotten,
What's snowMedia?

Alpine was great yesterday, unfortunately it rained very high up last night, then froze, then was very warm today, so all in all pretty grim today Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right - worked it out, I've stuck the pictures of our foray into the ice cave here. http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/224

JohnnyRotten if you want thr Hi res copies of any, let me know and I can email them to you
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, thanks! Your shots of the 'Blackcomb indoor snowdome' came out well. That was a great day out - shame you had to bail out of the 3 laps of Spankey's Ladder after lunch Cool

The others going to Whistler in the next few weeks should check this out - there are exposed ice caves on the Blackcomb glacier that you can walk or 'ski' (sideslip very carefully) into. They are on the ski-out from the top of the glacier, left hand side just before you get to the base of Sapphire bowl. Could be a once in a lifetime experience as they are buried in normal snow years. A snowHeads first? - underground skiing in a glacier snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For some reason, I can't enlarge the thumbnails. It says "I must be a registered user" to view them, then when I try to login it won't accept it Sad Do you have to register seperately for the media section of this site? If so, I would change this - anooying and poorly designed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ponder, duck now! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ponder, yes you do, it's actually a completely separate site, it just has very close ties to this one, what we normally suggest is that you register with the same details as on this site and you will get an email back very quicly to grant you full access
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just stumbled across this site which seems to give fairly honest snow reports for Whistler, ie

Tuesday, March 8th 2005

Rain up the whole mountain over the last few days has made for some wet and slushy conditions over the entirety of both mountains.

Heading up there today means getting very wet and uncomfortable. Only for the very keen.

Monday, March 7th 2005

It was not cold enough even up the top of the mountain to snow last night. We received rain all the way up to 7th Heaven meaning conditions were slushy.

http://www.snowboardingatwhistler.com/snowreport.html
ski holidays
gregh, not looking too good from today's report.
snow report
For all you folks heading to Whistler over Easter - it`s apparently snowing heavily at the moment (according to the Whistker Insider website). Fingers crossed !
latest report
beetle, HURRAH. Thanks for that.

snowHead snowHead sleeps
snow report
I would post a link to Epic, but I know that many of you will shout at me first before reading it to the end, so I won't post it. Instead, there is a claimed 14cm fell yesterday.
latest report
2 sleeps

2 sleeps

2 sleeps

(OK, i feel better now, thanks!

Embarassed
snow report
Hey sparky, we don't take kindly to unsolicited spam.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, the power at my fingertips.................. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Looks like our transatlantic snowHeads are in luck and things have improved greatly. Perspective on the season at Whistler in this review from Times Online
Quote:
But last week the resort was selling just 8,000 lift passes a day, compared to 25,000 in other years - which makes for very quiet slopes at the top of the mountain: ironically offering better skiing at times than in other years, as there are fewer queues for lifts.

Arleigh Galant, co-ordinator of media relations for Tourism Whistler, said: "We were under pressure to maintain the reputation of this resort. If we had closed that would have been a black mark against us."

* Postscript: conditions have taken a dramatic turn, with a big snowstorm in over the past few days dumping up to three feet of snow and resulting in 85 per cent of slopes now being open. Officials are hoping it's not a temporary cold spell - and that the "worst winter of our dreams" has finally come to an end - Tom Chesshyre
snow conditions
43 cm snow last night, still snowing this evening. over 100cm in the last 7 days. GREAT SKIING (at last) Very Happy

Time to dig out the new skis! Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

43 cm snow last night

You are not making friends Sad wink
latest report
colinmcc, I was so sad to leave it all behind. We had a great (if wet) trip round Stanley park though as we had bags of time before we got to the airport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy