Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Hey ski fans!

I know it's not that glamorous but are any other snowheads thinking of heading to any of the Scottish ski stations this weekend?

There seems to be a bit of snow expected! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://217.160.75.104/pics/brack1.gif

snowHead

Though the MetO isn't forecasting it as cold as I'd have thought.

Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
theres no snow! check out the webcams on cairngormmountain.com scotland hasnt had a dump of snow yet and when it has snowed its got mild afterwards a s usual! Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow showers are forecasted on winterhighland.com

Don't know if it's worth the gamble of driving up there just to see grass and ice!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, though that set-up has potential, it's forecast to be too scattered for loads of snow. No idea why - some research needed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what happened to the amazing winter that many people were expecting, i was all excited!

guess its still early days tho, hoping itll be good for 4th march, going up there to do a spot of winter walking, and ideally a bit of skiing too Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
looks like my skis will be staying in the car for another weekend Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blue Mark, if you go with the expectation of walking, at worst you'll have a superb weekend walking the Scottish Highlands in wintry/clear conditions. If the MO get it wrong, you'll be pleasantly surprised..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
take ur skis with u when walking as many of the hills have large areas of snow that stay and are only accessable by walking. that is the future of scotish skiing at the mo!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ahey! backcountry skiing in scotland... like it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
looking at the webcams now it looked a pretty good bet for this weekend (well today anyway?)....Blue Mark, how was it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What are we talking about here?

Nevis Range, Glenshee, Lecht and Glencoe are all closed. The only skiing resort with runs open is Caringorm. They have one funicular and 4 lifts open at the moment but I think much more snow is needed for a Snowheads meeting.

This Web page describes Caringorm current condition as

Run from the top to the middle now possible. Care still required, particulrly at the bottom of the Zig Zags. Home road is rocky but possible to pick your way down to the Base Station. Overall, the situation is much improved on recent weeks. First train up at 9.00am Last train up at 3.15pm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee, i was looking at the cairngorm webcams, and went upon that last comment

Quote:

Overall, the situation is much improved on recent weeks

Figured it was casue for some optimism, and certianly better than midweek.

admittedly i based my rather rash comment on that alone, i profusely apologise Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I gauge Scottish resorts by the number of lifts opened. I consider the condition is suitable for skiing if about 75% of the lifts are operating.

One has to be desperate to ski a run that is "possible" from the top to middle but requires care!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, difficult to define now what 75% on Cairngorm would constitute - my understanding is that a number of lifts have been mothballed. But you're right - in essence - Cairngorm is well worth a ski if the Traverse, Coire Cas, M1, Coire na Ciste etc. are open. Pretty limited otherwise, especially if only the Ptarmigan and Ciste tows are the primary tows operating - they are only green runs.

There's been discussion on Winterhighland.com that the funicular track has reduced drifting of snow into Cairngorm's most famous run - the White Lady. Certainly this tow seems to have shut in most weeks since the funicular opened a few years back.
snow conditions
8 inches of FRESH SNOW today at Cairngorms - where were you guys????
latest report
Could be more if it is measured next to the fence between the pistes.

If no more lift is open then the snow must have fallen on the wrong place. I expect the guys who earn a living from the resort to update the web page every day or the operating funicular and the 4 lifts represent the consequence of the 8 inches of the new snow.

The web cam (click other countries and then Scotland) does look promising though.
snow report
Quote:

8 inches of FRESH SNOW today at Cairngorms

.....and that was at middle station. Just Rudolph and me making tracks. It was a struggle in the Ptarmigan bowl as the snow was deeper and the slope shallower, but Rudolph had no problems and was making fine tracks.
ski holidays
Kit Wong,

So you work there as the resort was closed on Monday due to snow drift on the roads. Typical isn't it? When there is now the roads can't cope. By the time the roads are cleared the snow also starts to disappear on the piste.

Anyway this weekend looks promising as Lecht and Nevis Range all have runs open. Caringorm should be fully opened by the look of it although 8 inches if on zero base isn't much for a piste.

Your Rudoph picture looks great. Didn't run into any of them when I visited last season (only once).
snow report
Could well be more there this weekend, too.
snow conditions
Yes, all snow is very welcome, but I remember winter after winter when that mid station (of the then chairlift) was dug out with a JCB. Where have all those classic Cairngorm snowstorms gone?
snow conditions
Top to bottom in a hurricane yesterday. Smile
snow report
I've been watching the conditions over this week and with the base being skied on then fingers crossed a top up next week would really tempt me to make the trip up north for a few days. Then I was greeted with the news its half term next week! :/
Will it be really busy at Aviemore during half term?
snow report
well, it certainly looked worth the effort for this weekend at Cairngorm, and its still snowing! Although as you say rockyrobin, its looking pretty busy on the cams....but im pleased for the CML, couldnt have been better timed for their business methinks! snowHead

Oh well, back to writing my assignments Sad
snow report
Hehe, looks good today with the stones almost covered on the first webcam but they do need to get a long pole and squeegee for the other one on the ptarmigan.
Looking at the weather forecast looks like there may be some freeze thaw cycling next week before getting colder again at the end of the month.
Rockyrobin predicts early March to be the best conditions fingers crossed Smile
If anyone has been up the Gorm this weekend would be nice for some feedback and photo's to keep us guys unable to go something to chew on snowHead
snow conditions
rockyrobin, Im going up on the 4th-5th March...ive got my fingers crossed too! snowHead
ski holidays
PS i havent seen cairngorm that open for a long while, how many times last season were that many 'zones' open??

also, would it be fair to say that even with perfect conditions many lifts would not open, as many of them seem to serve similar territory, or am i mistaken?
latest report
tomski01 - http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forregions28.asp?set=scotland&range=28
If the above forecast prediction comes to fruition i'll be a happy bunny. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I havn't ski'ed the at Cairngorm since the early to mid 80's where I learnt to ski.
The memories of huge moguls down the white lady always stuck in my mind.
I do remember the whole mountain being open every time I went though, but too long ago to remember dates i'm afraid.

Quote:
also, would it be fair to say that even with perfect conditions many lifts would not open, as many of them seem to serve similar territory, or am i mistaken?

I would have thought that they would try to get everything running if the runs were skiable if for no other reaosn but to keep the ques down and impart a memory of this to encourage people to return.
latest report
I was seriously tempted to head up this weekend (and surrender my Everton tickets) but I was put up off by the forecasted strong winds. However, an SMS from Glencoe just now informs me that all the runs are open... Ah bug!

Hope anyone who goes has a great time, but doesn't wear the base away!
snow report
Heavens,
Scotland is gettig clobbered right now.
Access roads to Caringorm, The Lecht and Genshee all blocked. Prospects should be quite good for half term when things clear out.

Cairngorm web cam : http://www.cairngormmountain.com/webcams.htm
snow conditions
rockyrobin, Very Happy

well, i hope they are right about the Tues-Fri bit (perhaps about 2/3 foot of snow would do?!), and that in fact its gonna be sunny and zero wind by the weekend....and of course no one else apart from you and me (and any other SnowHeads of course) realise, so the place is empty! snowHead

Either that, or i would accept anything...so long as the place is open for me to try my new boots Madeye-Smiley

Im meant to be going do do some winter walking with some old mates (camping in Aviemore apparently, brrr)...so all is not lost ill still have fun (always need a back up in Scotland eh!), but boy it be great if the conditions were good for skiing.

::finger crossed:: snowHead
latest report
tomski01 - You really need to have words with your m8's about the camping mullarky Wink
Can you not tempt them with the thought of a warm bed, ensuite, etc?

Have any of you guys done an early morning dash (3am from Yorkshire), days skiing then drive back home same day?
I might be able to fit one of these in this week to grab some of this snow while it lasts.
Is this a good idea or do you guys/ladies reckon would be pushing it a bit too much?
ski holidays
[quote=
Have any of you guys done an early morning dash (3am from Yorkshire), days skiing then drive back home same day?
[/quote]

Hey I like your enthusiasm! I don't know the roads that well to be honest, but people tell me the road up to Aviemore is easier going than the road to Fort William. I'm thinking of doing something similar next weekend or weekend after, so let us know how it pans out
Wink
snow conditions
PeterS, typical Scotland: when there's snow to ski, you can't get to it coz the roads are blocked.
And then they wonder why the Scottish ski industry is in the doldrums. Confused
When I was out in La Plagne the other week, I asked our guide if the road up to the resort ever got blocked - it did snow a lot that week - "Never" was his reply. Scotland needs to get its act together.
ski holidays
Jonpim - They probably have to contend with a local highways management that frowns at the thought of servicing something so elitist as skiing - a bit like with the Lake District National Park wanting to withdraw guided tours from middle class walkers because it was not benefitting other minorities they were not reaching government targets with rolling eyes
I'm probably totally wrong on the above but I do sometimes wonder Crying or Very sad
Do they not have their own facilities for clearing the access road?
Perhaps Fort William may be a better bet with easy access to the gondola?
latest report
rockyrobin, we did something similar once on a climbing trip, but left more like 9pm, arrived about 5am at Glenshee, set up camp by the snow covered car park....it was snowing like buggery and when we woke up the tent was covered in snow...it was a short walk to the ski station....after deciding that climbing would be a pain (wading in through knee deep snow), we decided to ski instead, we were the first on the slopes (simply cos the ploughs hadnt got there yet!) and even the Glas Maol runs were open!

that said, we did stay for a long weekend, so we had no plans to drive back that night!

Roads were piece of wee wee from Leeds, A1 - A9, tonned it the whole way...pre-speed trap days (not a car on the road) Madeye-Smiley

Man i would love to get up there for a day this week, but dont really fancy the drive on me tod....ill pray that march works out!!

PS Camping is great...but yes sometimes a little cold!
latest report
tomski01, Check your PM mail box.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
PeterS, typical Scotland: when there's snow to ski, you can't get to it coz the roads are blocked.
And then they wonder why the Scottish ski industry is in the doldrums. Confused
When I was out in La Plagne the other week, I asked our guide if the road up to the resort ever got blocked - it did snow a lot that week - "Never" was his reply. Scotland needs to get its act together.

Maybe you can read "road blocked" as shorthand for "Can't run lifts so we'd rather be able to get on with our work on the mountain and clear snow from the carparks without having a handful of nutters sitting in the daylodge nursing a cup of tea and a mars bar all day to work round then rescue when theyve got stuck."
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Jonpim, the La Plagne access road will very rarely see the sort of conditions the Cairngorm one does. It's not the volume of the snow, it's the strength of the wind. The road is a natural trap for snow to drift into. I've driven up through a corridor of drifts of 8 to 10 ft on the road while most of the hillside is wind scoured and still heathery. You also have to bear in mind that in whiteout conditions with drifting snow being blown horizontally over it, it can be very difficult to see the line of the road even if your car can physically drive on it ok.

That's Scotland for you, marginal but magnificent snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy