Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need to buy some skis

Poster: A snowHead
Right I feel the time has come to buy my own skis and boots etc

THink i'll try and pick them up when im out in Andorra

BUT- I tend to buy things because they look lovely and I have a handbag to match, so I need some pointers

I can ski well- im not a huge fan of powder and the hard stuff- like to stick to reds

Any particular make model I should be looking for?

What can I expect to pay? (so they dont think about ripping me off)

thank you xxx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go and have a look on the ellis brigham or Snow and rock websites put in the colour of runs you do and the type of skiing and it will make some suggestions
note down the prices most have been reduced by 20% over here at least already and then you will have a guide line for when you are in Andorra !!

hope this helps
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks lots- i'll go and have a peek x
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look for something like a Giant Slalom or Slalom type ski, these are good for pistes and good at turns, the slalom skis will be shorter, so not quite as fast but have a tighter turning radius on carved turns. Note I say like one othese types of skis don't actually buy a genuine GS or Slalom competition ski (unless it looks good of course) as they are more expensive than normal skis.

Good makers include Head, Atomic, Rossignol, Salomon and Volkl.

Now Head do some skis with i.c. in their name which means they have a mini computer in them that supposedly reacts to the way you ski and adjusts the stiffness of the ski accordingly (a bit like active ssuspension in cars), so far I've talked to three people who were good whole season skiers and had these type of skis, one said that they were nice to ski on but didn't know they had a chip inside them, the other two both said their performance had actually improved slightly, no one has yet said they are bad.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a computer in your skis? has the world gone mad? I bet theyll put them in cars next Razz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A pair of Slalom or GS skis ? They'd be a bit of a handful for a recreational skier wouldn't they ? I thought the day when we had GS skis for day to day use were long gone.

There's any number of all round carving skis that'd be just fine, Atomic have several for a start, like the Ride 8 /9 or, maybe better, the Carv 8/9. The best skis are the ones you can try first of course Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes ise they would that's why I suggested that type not a full blown competition ski but you'r quite right an all round carver/on piste would be fine Embarassed , in addition to those suggested by ise look at the Head i.c. 170.

I wasn't kidding about the computer, apparently it works like this, there are fibres inside the ski that as the ski flexes produce a small electrical charge this charge is fed into the built in chip which analyses the results, I guess the harder and faster you ski the greater the signal, the chip then sends some of this charge back to either the same fibers or different one (as I said I don't know the details) which either stiffen or relax accordingly. The idea is that if you are going slowly down a nice gentle piste the ski is softer but if you go like a bat out of hell down a steep and icy black run the ski stiffens uf to give you greater control and stability.

One good thing about those head skis, batteries are apparently not needed Razz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not aware anyone sells a pair of slalom of GS skis that aren't actually the real thing but I'm sure you're right. I've never heard of an i.c. 170 but maybe it's something for the UK market, I'd be surprised if it was described as a slalom or GS ski though but who knows.

As for the chip business, it's not analysing anything, there's no processing going here, it's just a feedback system and is basically electrical (just semantics of course), the effect is similar to speed sensitive power steering. It's not new either, K2 had something similar some years ago, the technology is extremely simple, K2 didn't make much of it, maybe Head will make more of it. I have skied some and I can't say I thought they were much good but I'm sure some find them fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee, definitely buy you own boots, but I would think very carefully about buying skis. Ski technology is changing rapidly year on year. And you will change as well. Do you want to ski on-piste only, go off-piste, do fun tricks, or even give boarding a try? If you want to play with all the latest toys: hire. I did buy skis many years ago. They now gather dust in the attic. I have hired for the last 6 years.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DG Orf, I must remember to switch on the computer next time I clip into my Head's, either that or mine must be Pentium 0. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ditto Jonpim, Buy yourself some boots. Antbody serious about skiing should really have a goof fitting pair by their second holiday. As for skis, can't go wrong with the Atomic C:9 Snow & Rock do a lighter womens version.
The Head i.c 170 Railflex is exclusive to S&R apparentley. No idea why.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK mark one of the other head skis then I believe they do a i.c. 160 and 180 as well (yes all right I got the number of the S&R website earlier) Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They also do a 140, a 200 and a 300... confusing isn't it. All with the intergrated railflex binding.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark, I have a pair of Head Monsters. Very heavy skis to carry around resorts, all the weight seems to be in the integrated bindings. Excellent to ski on howerver. My old Salomons and mates Rossi's much lighter.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thats been my experience too. I'm not convinced about all this IB jive. No consumer choice for a start off.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, try some Fischers, Elans, and Volkls, too, especially those specially designed for women. They all have high-performance versions, and from your photo, I suspect you'll find a women's ski a better bet than a uni-sex ski.
latest report
Actually to be honest I think the best option is to go to a resort where they'll let you test a selection of skis and buy the ones that you like the best. The boots though are definately more important than the skis snowHead
snow report
D G Orf, I agree 100%. That's why I used the word "try:" I meant to demo them!
snow conditions
Sorry ssh your posthad not appeared when I started to write mine, I guess that great minds think alike really is true snowHead
latest report
Wink snowHead
latest report
Nadenoodlee, If I were you, I'd get boots this time, and maybe leave the skis until next season.
This will give you a week's skiing with your boots this trip, then you'll be a bit more used to them before you get the skis. Also, try different skis when you're out there.

As for the boots, depending on your foot shape, different brands fit different feet. Certainly try them on here, but it will be chaeper to buy in Andorra (S&R aren't cheap when it comes to boots)
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, most shops that rent gear out will knock the rental price off your purchase price, if you choose to buy. Try different skis each day, and then buy the ones you like most.
Many will (and have!) argued against buying skis, but I like the fact that I know the level of performance of my skis, and know any improvement is down to me, and not just different equipment.
snow conditions
I've got a pair of iC170s - 350 euros incl. bindings. Very tidy ski, very stiff so probably more suited to a heavier or confident skiier. Handled everything I through at it or vice versa. Not *that* intelligent though as still able to bury itself in powder when lost. Sad
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, forget skis. Get boots. This appears to be the concensus here and is the best advice.

Unfortunately, I don't really know how good the Glasgow shops are at boot fitting, since I only visited one to buy boots (Nevisport on Sauchiehall Street) and they weren't brilliant. Tiso certainly seem to be the best all-round ski people - the tech I spoke to certainly knew his stuff about ski maintenance, so might be worth speaking to them and asking what experience he has.

Unfortunately I think you're going to find the whole boot-buying process unpleasant. Why? Well, it involves trying on a variety of different boots (sounds good so far, I hear you say) and totally ignoring what make and colour they are (that's going to be the tough bit). When the bootfitter tells you that the dull brown boots are the best fit for your feet, but you prefer the look of the shiny pink ones - trust him. Spray the damn shell if you want, but you must have faith in him (assuming he's good).

A good bootfitter will take over an hour to help you select the best shell/liner, and then will (depending on the boot) form the liner to your foot. They should also recommend (well, usually) a custom insole. These are an extra £30-40 but worth ten times more than that in terms of comfort. If you get a goot bootfitter, your boots should end up almost feeling like slippers.

A recap/few final tips:

1) Phone ahead to find out the bootfitter's experience. Ask to speak to him/her yourself. Ask how long it will take to fit boots & insoles. If (s)he says less than an hour, go elsewhere.

2) Be totally honest about your skiing ability. A good bootfitter won't give you a boot that isn't capable of growing with your experience, so there's no need to exaggerate ability (or the opposite, for that matter). Skiing in a boot that's too rigid will just make your technique worse (not enough ankle flex and knee driving).

3) Be flexible on cost. Yes, I know this is tricky, but what's the point of paying £300 plus quid for a skiing holiday if it's unpleasant? Buying the right boots and insoles may cost £50 more than you budgeted for, but if you're going to do it, do it properly.

4) Ideally buy in resort. Yes, I know what I said about checking the experience of bootfitters and you can't do that easily if you're abroad, but generally bootfitters in resort should be more experienced anyway. Also, you may well need to go back after a few days' skiing to have minor adjustments made. It's easier (and you get more benefit) if you do this mid-week in resort, than at the end of your skiing holiday back where you bought them.

5) Be totally honest about which boots feel the best. Just to reiterate, ignore the colour - please! It may help to close your eyes while trying on different boots (or wearing an eye mask!)

Think that's it - good luck!
latest report
masopa, Excellent advice - couldn't have put it better myself. Hope the rib pain is getting better.
snow conditions
Jonpim, caved in and took aspirin/paracetamol. Doctor's appointment at 2:20 - hurrah!

Nadenoodlee, one last tip - don't be tempted to buy boots on eBay!! (or anywhere else where you can't try them on).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 4-03-04 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
There should be a good boot fitter while your out there. Might be worth asking around when you get there.
That way you can ski in the boots and pop back to the shop to get them adjusted.
Plus its an excuse to go back if you have a warranty problem...
ski holidays
markP, good call.
One thing would be to ask your instructor in the resort where he goes to get his boots worked on, or where he buys them from.

masopa, excellent advice.
I do think she'd be better just to get boots now, and get them right, then maybe save her money for skis until next season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK Nadenoodlee all us "Experts" agree, get boots now and wait till next year for skis snowHead
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
OK Nadenoodlee all us "Experts" agree, get boots now and wait till next year for skis snowHead

Woohoo! I'm an "Expert" now, and I've made 300 posts! snowHead
ski holidays
Yes well you notice the judicious use of inverted commas in my last post ! Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-03-04 13:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I hope they were sarcastic commas in my case! Laughing

I'm almost at the half k... WAY!
ski holidays
is an inverted coma where you pass out upside down?
snow report
I've never tried that so I don't know sorry snowHead
ski holidays
I thought it was a new trick the knuckledraggers were working on, you know, a "fakie indie 500 inverted coma with a cab 920 back to London"
snow conditions
Boots are way more important than skis!
snow report
Boots *are* more important, and more importanlty than that there's the whole debate about whether it's cheaper and easier to hire skis rather than go to the trouble of luggin your own around the world and paying for services etc.

But, be aware, some Salomon skisa are now available at 20% off, as it's nearing the end of the season - just bought a pair of Scream 8 pilots for Mrs NBT since we know that's the right ski for her
ski holidays
markP wrote:
Ditto Jonpim, Buy yourself some boots. Antbody serious about skiing should really have a goof fitting pair by their second holiday. As for skis, can't go wrong with the Atomic C:9 Snow & Rock do a lighter womens version.
The Head i.c 170 Railflex is exclusive to S&R apparentley. No idea why.

That's obvious I think, it's so they can do their price guarantee, you know "double your money back, a free holiday etc" if you find you them chepaer elsewhere, quite common with electrical goods as well I think.
snow report
nbt, Where did you buy them from? I wasn't aware of any sales yet?
ski holidays
Ski gear starts to go on offer arround the second week in feb, saw Blacks were selling off their ski gear in Southampton store about 2 weeks ago
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy