Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's your attitude to cheese fondue?

Poster: A snowHead
Apparently cheese melting is all the rage in 2004. Sales of fondue sets in John Lewis soared over Christmas, and the ingredients are walking out of M&S.

As the author of this piece in The Scotsman reports: "...fondue is certainly the dinner party dish du jour in my circle of girlfriends because it’s easy, highly sociable and extremely yummy."

Yes, indeed. My mouth's watering already, and it's only 10am. Do you have an attitude to cheese fondue? Does your heart melt at the sight of a fondue au chocolat? Or do you hate the whole ritual, plunging those pesky little forks into the communal gloop?

There's a helpful cheese fondue recipe at the end of the article, if you need it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I never really liked cheese fondue, on the other hand chinoise or burginion (spelling) are very nice and chocolate is wonderful Blush
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love cheese fondue. Have done for years and will probably never tire of it. Only have a few a year though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is the best. Am now the proud owner of 3 fondue pots so can do cheese, meat and chocolate all in one meal time. Oh dear - do i need to get a life? Worry it is all very 1970's kitsch though. Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I like the bit in the article that relates the 1970s boom in fondue to the 1970s boom in wife-swapping! *

Do the two go hand in hand?

*Sorry, spouse-swapping - let's be PC here.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll be throwing your car keys into a bowl on the coffee table soon!!!!!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't worry Robbie, I got three as well, though never thought of doing all 3 sorts of fondue at one meal. My favourite is still cheese. It's so easy to do when self-catering (just melt 2 packets, cut the bagettue, whizz up a salad and pour the wine: gourmet in seconds). Not so fond of chocolate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, instead of using regular chocolate, try toblerone. Excellent!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Robbie wrote:
It is the best. Am now the proud owner of 3 fondue pots so can do cheese, meat and chocolate all in one meal time. Oh dear - do i need to get a life? Worry it is all very 1970's kitsch though. Confused

Who cares when it tastes so nice. You don't modify the rest of your diet based on fashion do you? Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't like cheese, never have done - The worst day on holiday is when its cheese fondue or raclette night. yuk.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't own a fondue set, but have got a combined pierrade/raclette grill which gets used extensively; friends & family love it.

I am partial to the old cheese fondue when skiing but have never had it at home; I have a feeling it might be one of those things that doesn't quite taste the same back home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucie Axford, it actually tastes just as good! Have a vin chaud as well and turn the heating up high, and you could almost think you're there! Run up and down some stairs for three hours before, empty the contents of your wallet down the toilet and you'll be in apres-ski heaven!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could always get a load of loud, chain smoking frenchmen in my dining room to give it that french ski resort restaurant touch....hang sopping wet ski jackets on the back of our chairs....I'm getting into this now. Any more ideas to turn it into a truly authentic experience?
Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, you have to have the extreme freeride videos on the TV, for a start...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And play Euro-pap at extreme volumes.

"Vin chaud" with fondue? White wine and plenty of kirsch!
snow report
Fondue bourguignon (?) is far nicer. I find the cheese fondue a bit much to stomach!!! Obviously with us all being honed athletes at the peak of physical fitness the cheese option just isn't healthy enough....???! Laughing
I have actually got a fondue set recipe book here- amazing how many recipes can be cooked in a fondue pot!
snow conditions
Ah now chris would you like to post any of them on the alpine cuisine thread
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
and the ingredients are walking out of M&S.

Hmmm, cheese walking - that reminds me of something slightly OT.

Never go on a sailing trip and buy cheese. Well, never go on a sailing trip, buy cheese and put it in the bag with your log book. Well, never go on a sailing trip, buy cheese, put cheese in a bag with your log book, and chuck the bag under your bed when you get home. And leave it there for eight months. No, I'm not kidding, and yes, it was rank. The cheese was sealed, so that's why I couldn't smell it!

And no, I don't have personal hygiene problems - it was a one-off, honest!
ski holidays
DG, will do so later today!!!!! Any preferences?
snow report
Cheese as a main course is just wrong. Just because its got wine in it - doesnt make it nice!
snow conditions
Chris anything apart from cheese Laughing
latest report
I enjoy a good cheese fondue, or a raclette; but have never understood the meat one. If I go to a restuarant I want the chef to cook the food for me - not just hand me a plate of raw meat to do it myself!
snow report
Meat ones are the best.....especially with mountains of frites.
snow report
Chris Angus, yes, a good meat fondue. Some nice red wine. Good company.
That's the sort of fondue I like.
Alternatively, if there isn't a meat fondue, then make up for it with more wine, equally, if the company is poor, then more wine can be a substitute.
snow report
I have only tried a meat one. Its ok but it takes soooo long to cook and then eat. I consumed about 1&1/2 lb of steak but was still hungry afterwards!! Not mad about the smell of hot cheese either. I'd rather have a wedge of fit and a glass of nice port with some biscuits (or French bread). BTW anyone tried blue Wensleydale? Its a bit like Stilton but not so strong and more creamy...excellent!
snow report
Cheese is wear it is at, definitely. Meat ones ok though. Fries are essential. Bit worried though at idea of just emptying in the packets?? Surely, just do it yourself. I too have a fondue recipe book - too many options. Just stick wiht basic swiss. Ahh, the confussion Confused
snow conditions
Robbie, I like meat and cheese together, you can dip your meat in the cheese. This is probably way its best not to do all three at once cheese and chocolate don't mix too good. Yum Yum! Skullie
snow report
WTFH and DG will be off to research some tasty recipes later......will report back when mission is accomplished and my bl00dy computer stops playing up - has just wiped 500+ words of work. grrrrr Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
its just soooooooo stupid though! Its cheese sauce thats all! typical bloomin french/ swiss food
ski holidays
Here in Switzerland it's a pretty big deal, the local supermarkets will always have specials on various fondue cheeses. Where I live the Moite-Moite variant is common which is gruyere and vacherin in 50-50 mix. Some other nice variants use cider and calvados instead of white wine and kirsch and a tomato/cheese version is pretty nice.

What I don't like is a meal with just cheese fondue, you need something with it. It's a particular pleasure living here to have the local cheeses, local dried sausage and good potatoes (in fact a friend here last week was all for taking some potatoes home to the UK as he reckons UK ones are now tasteless). I also reckon something other than white baguette is nice, some brown, wholemeal or granary is nice.

If we're exchanging recipies :

http://www.vafsa.ch/en/produits/vacherin/recettes/rec04.htm

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/fondue/fondue84.html

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=201&sid=4561037

And some general Swiss cheese recipies at http://switzerland-cheese.com

Sadly, as I commented with the Swiss white wine Fendant the other day, very little of the best ingredients leave the country.

In fact I'm quite fancying a fondue now Very Happy
latest report
Nadenoodlee, erm... four words: DEEP ***** **** BARS.
latest report
Greg Capper wrote:
Robbie, I like meat and cheese together, you can dip your meat in the cheese.

Isn't that the sort of thing that goes on at Pas de la Casa? Little Angel
snow report
Robbie wrote:
Cheese is wear it is at, definitely. Meat ones ok though. Fries are essential. Bit worried though at idea of just emptying in the packets?? Surely, just do it yourself. I too have a fondue recipe book - too many options. Just stick wiht basic swiss. Ahh, the confussion Confused

Fries !! You've got to be joking, what washed down with lager ? Very Happy

Sounds like the sort of stuff served up on the package tour fondue evening where the cheese was scrapped out the bottom of the previous nights caquelons
snow conditions
Greg Capper, Yes, but if you run out of things to dip and there is still chocolate left - what to do??
ski holidays
ise wrote:
Here in Switzerland it's a pretty big deal, the local supermarkets will always have specials on various fondue cheeses. Where I live the Moite-Moite variant is common which is gruyere and vacherin in 50-50 mix. Some other nice variants use cider and calvados instead of white wine and kirsch and a tomato/cheese version is pretty nice.

What I don't like is a meal with just cheese fondue, you need something with it. It's a particular pleasure living here to have the local cheeses, local dried sausage and good potatoes (in fact a friend here last week was all for taking some potatoes home to the UK as he reckons UK ones are now tasteless). I also reckon something other than white baguette is nice, some brown, wholemeal or granary is nice.

Depends where he gets his potatoes from. We get ours from a local farm and they're lovely. Use them with raclettes more than fondue though.

Not tried the cider option, but will. I've often experimented with cheeses - mainly to do with not always being able to get the ones I want. Always start with a salad and very rarely use a baguette. Wholemeal works quite well, it can be good to have a mix of breads.
latest report
OK, i am going to have to leave this thread and go elsewhere, because i am getting TOO HUNGRY. Sad

Ahhh, need to go home and eat cheese, and melt toblerones. Toofy Grin
latest report
Chris Angus wrote:
Fondue bourguignon (?) is far nicer. I find the cheese fondue a bit much to stomach!!! Obviously with us all being honed athletes at the peak of physical fitness the cheese option just isn't healthy enough....???! Laughing

But all that deep fried meat is a perfectly balanced dish then Chris?? Wink

This resurgence of fondue popularity ties in nicely with the Atkins diet epidemic sweeping the country. Atkins-ers are dipping veg into their fondue, rather than bread
snow report
Locally the tomato/cheese fondue would not be served with bread, it'd be potatoes and a ladle rather than forks.

ah, raclette, here you buy special raclette potatoes, any supermarket will sell them. In fact, we've a big lump of local raclette cheese in the fridge now I come to think of it. Some experiments with cheese is good there as well, again our local vacherin is quite nice.
snow conditions
ise wrote:
ah, raclette, here you buy special raclette potatoes, any supermarket will sell them. In fact, we've a big lump of local raclette cheese in the fridge now I come to think of it.

You are so lucky, raclette is so hard to get here. I can buy it from Selfridges for £22 a kilo or stock up on southern visits to Waitrose. We tend to buy it when we are in France/Italy (along with a huge lump of fresh parmesan). Customs seems to be getting tighter on food imports & I think you are only allowed to bring 1 kilo of cheese into the country.

Tough luck if you're sat near me on the plane, I'm the one with the stinky hand luggage! Confused
ski holidays
Lucie Axford wrote:
You are so lucky, raclette is so hard to get here. I can buy it from Selfridges for £22 a kilo or stock up on southern visits to Waitrose. We tend to buy it when we are in France/Italy (along with a huge lump of fresh parmesan).

£22 a kilo ! wow... I though cheese was expensive here
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy