Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's your attitude to cheese fondue?

Poster: A snowHead
That's one reason why my parents always drive to Italy. Can't get too much Fontina.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have one question about Selfridges. Do they?

(sorry, the old ones are always the best)

Once brought back 2kg or Roquefort in my suitcase on a school trip to France. Mum wasn't impressed!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That tomato/cheese one sounds very nice I might actually try that thanks ise
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Embarassed

hold on, I've just followed my link for the tomato/cheese one, I grabbed it quick off google and it's some dumb American version. They all seem to think they'll and up alcoholics if they use wine for cooking, we're not so bothered in Switzerland Toofy Grin

I'll dig out better version from home later.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even better tomato cheese and wine ! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This should better, I'd suggest the kirsch is obilgatory though. And, 250g of cheese is a lot if you're having some dried meats etc with it.

CHEESE AND TOMATO FONDUE

Avoid drinking really cold drinks while eating a fondue, this could cause some stomach pain. We Swiss usually drink dry white wine (Fendant, Chasselas) or black or peppermint tea.

Beware of the heater........

- Put 25 grammes of butter with
- 1 small and finely cut onion together with
- 2 smashed cloves of garlic in the hot Caquelon on the kitchen stove

- Remove the skin and the seeds of 4 tomatoes. To remove the skin easily pour the tomatoes shortly about 30 seconds in boiling water, cut them in small bits put the tomatoes in the Caquelon with 2 table spoons tomato concentrate or ketchup.

- Cook a few minutes to get a thick sauce
- Pour 3 dl of dry white wine and the juice of one lemon

- Take off the fire and add the 800 grammes (200 grammes up to 250 grammes per guest) of grated cheese (ideally Fondue mixture) and 2 tea spoons cornstach

- Put on the fire again and turn the mixture with a wooden spoon until the
cheese has melted completely.

You can improve the recipe with a small glass of Cherry brandy (2 cl Kirsch) 1/2 tea spoon of sugar, fresh pepper, and paprika
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mmmmm... tasty!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Might have to try this one before the weather becomes too warm. Otherwise it may well be the first one of next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lucie, personally I'm a big fan of the Atkins diet, especially with a good sideorder of potatoes and a healthy wedge of bread in the morning Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris
Yeah, I think it's great apart from the meat & cheese bits Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Attitude to cheese fondue depends entirely upon whose abdomen it's being applied to, and both the means and motive behinds it's removal.... Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right as promised a couple of recipes from The Fondue Cookbook by Gina Steer:

Tuna and Tomato Fondue
450g fresh tuna steak
Fresh basil sprigs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic
450g ripe tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp water
120 ml white wine (rest of bottle to drink while you cook! Toofy Grin )
120 ml water (not worth drinking with meal, only for washing in before)
slat and ground black pepper
1 red and 1 yellow pepper deseeded and cubed

Method:
Cut tuna into cubes
Heat oil in pan and saute onion and garlic for 5mins or until soft
Chop tomatoes and add to pan with tomato paste blended wit h2 tbsp water
Cook for 5 mins then add wine water and 2/3 sprigs of basil, then add seasoning to taste
Bring to boil and simmer for 10-15mins or unitl sauce thinkened
Puree in food processor, adjust seasoning and then put into fondue hot pot. HEat the sauce through
Spear tuna and vegetables and cook in sauce.

OR if you're brave

Hot 'n Spicy Turkey fondue

900g turket breast
2-3 chillies (more if you like)
3-4 garlic cloves
2-3 tsp Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tsp warmed clear honey
3 tbsp lime juice
6 tbsp oil
600ml oil for frying
Tortillas to serve it in!

Method:
Cut turkey into strips
Mix chillies, garlic, tabasco, coriander, honey, lime juice and the 6 tbsps oil and pour over turkey to marinade for AT LEAST 30 mins.
Cook these in the oil in the fondue pot.

Hope someone tries these anyway!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love the cheese fondue, but hubbie hates it after being rather ill in FLaine the following day). We do have a fondue pot, but use the Tefal raclette/pierrade more often.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I adore cheese fondue and also the meat fondues. Never tried Chocolate fondue, strange seeing as I am a chocoholic!!! Confused

Relatively funny story. My family and some friends were having fondue one New years eve and we were using two fondue sets, including a new (and rather tacky) set. It went out and so we put more methylated spirits in (the purple stuff), relit it and started eating again.

I think we may have put too much methylated spirits in or the burner and stand were worse than useless, anyway the whole stand caught fire. I had to quickly race into the kitchen, douse a kitchen towel under the water tap and smother the flames. Happily the strategy worked and the house still stands.

Needless to say we never used that stand and burner again!!! Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Annehillskiing, I once had a similar incident after performing a home "chemistry" experiment. Went to the ideal home exhibition and saw a funky new company displaying their "gel burners" - basically a trendy candle holder, together with an ethanol-based gel that burns like hell (contained in some kind of metal holder). Only downside was they cost a hundred quid each.

So I got home and decided to make my own gel. Well, not being a chemist, I couldn't get my hands on ethanol, so I decided to use white spirit. Mixed with caster sugar. In one of those "jig" things you measure cocktail shots in. Only problem was, the mixture was too damn efficient and the whole lot went up in a HUGE ball of flame when I lit it.

Didn't quite last the 40 hours the Ideal Home stuff was supposed to, but was certainly entertaining! Just need to refine the mixture so that it lasts a bit longer now...

And doesn't remove eyebrows.
snow report
Has anyone tried the 'Grizzly House' In Banff?

Such luxuries as: buffalo or elk, wild boar, shark, alligator, rattlesnake or Ostrich fondues. spoo

I played safe and boring and had beef and chicken!!
Confused
snow conditions
Michelle. You know I'm a vegetarian. No, I haven't tried the Grizzly House, though I'm quite partial to a bit of grizzled cheese. Hence this thread (mind you, vegetarians don't generally eat Swiss cheese because it usually contains rennet).
latest report
Yes, and he's a self-confessed monoskier & milk-float thief as well. Clearly a lunatic, and not to be trusted.
snow report
I love the stuff but always have too much & spend the next day with a massive cheese ball in my stomach. Guyere & Emmental in white wine is my favourite.
latest report
Back on topic so soon Exclamation Smile

Must admit to loving anything with cheese, so fondue 'n raclette are looked forward to as part of the trip. I wish they would do the cheese fondue with all the pickles and dried meats you get with the meat fondues.

BTW you can't "have too much", well known scientific fact that.
snow report
Eeyore wrote:
I love the stuff but always have too much & spend the next day with a massive cheese ball in my stomach. Guyere & Emmental in white wine is my favourite.

I diagnose too little white wine with the meal, take an extra bottle NehNeh
snow conditions
Or belly's too cold. Suggest prewarm belly with whisky prior to meal. And post-meal.
snow report
.....and perhaps a light lowland to go with it?
snow conditions
masopa wrote:
Annehillskiing, I once had a similar incident after performing a home "chemistry" experiment. Went to the ideal home exhibition and saw a funky new company displaying their "gel burners" - basically a trendy candle holder, together with an ethanol-based gel that burns like hell (contained in some kind of metal holder). Only downside was they cost a hundred quid each.

So I got home and decided to make my own gel. Well, not being a chemist, I couldn't get my hands on ethanol, so I decided to use white spirit. Mixed with caster sugar. In one of those "jig" things you measure cocktail shots in. Only problem was, the mixture was too damn efficient and the whole lot went up in a HUGE ball of flame when I lit it.

Didn't quite last the 40 hours the Ideal Home stuff was supposed to, but was certainly entertaining! Just need to refine the mixture so that it lasts a bit longer now...

And doesn't remove eyebrows.

We are all pyromaniacs around here!!! Laughing Wink
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
You know I'm a vegetarian.

Yeh, David... but Jackie would love it Wink
[and they do cheese too!]
snow report
Ahh now then if we're talking pyromaniacal tendancies you can get good results from Potassium Permanganate crystals and...

No I won't post that here it might give people ideas, let's get this back to food and more specifically fondues, what about some more recipes for non cheese fondues ?
snow report
Easy DG we don't want to blow random holes in mountains and houses Laughing
ski holidays
No it's ok Anne that particular mix won't blow things up merely set them on fire Twisted Evil

More recipes please Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cooking Twisted Evil
snow report
Not at this time of night I hope Shocked
snow conditions
Well not tonite Laughing
snow conditions
Well, I'm sure you've all heard of this, but it's one of my favourites. Not because it's fancy (far from it), but it was one of the first things I learnt how to cook as a kid (after Zabaglione - no, don't ask!) and is incredibly simple. Tastes ok as well.

French bread pizza (per person).

Finely chop half a medium onion (or a whole small one) and fry over a low heat with a clove of galic until transparent.
While this is cooking, warm up the grill.
Once cooked, placed onions & garlic into a mixing bowl and add grated cheese (quantity up to you - depends on how much filling you want) and tomato ketchup (again, quantity to taste - try it to determine how much TK you want). Season with pepper BUT NO SALT.
Slice the baguette lengthways and spoon the topping mixture onto the two slices. Stick under the grill until bubbling.

It's so easy and remarkably tasty (given how little actual effort & ingredients go into it). I'm all for cooking and eating fancy food, but sometimes the simple things work well... The best Bolognese sauce in the world is one of the simplest.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy