Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Irish cablecar project gets (another) go-ahead

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Don't get too excited about this one - it's been mooted for 15 years.
Also - how did you guess? - it's not for skiers but it'll be a rare (unique?) opportunity to ride a cablecar in Ireland.

The cablecar will link the island of Inishbiggle in County Mayo to the mainland. It's a 2.5 million Euros project, and the latest news - from The Mayo News - is that it's going ahead.

Well, according to this news report from 1996, that's not the first time this has been said!

So, could we have official Snowheads approval for the Inishbiggle Cablecar, please? Queue here for lift passes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does it take donkeys (and carts) as well?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Er, no hills then?

Or snow?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inishbiggle - great name for a place.

I'm terribly sorry, David, but the lack of mountain + snow to go with cablecar has sort of dampened my enthusiasm. How about this fine example, Blackgang chine chair lift
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
" Inish " is the gaelic for island. Its a very small island off Achill island and the mainland. I've got a link for a picture ( which probabaly will not work - failing that just type in Inishbiggle )

www.eircom.net/~caoimh1/oilean/achill2.html

The mountains in Co. Mayo at just 650 meters are not renowned for skiing!

I have family in the adjacent County Galway, and know the area reasonably well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So what does Eilean mean then? Or is Scottish gaelic totally different from Irish? Sorry - don't really have a clue about these things (only moved up here a year or so ago).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both the words Inish and Oilean are irish gaelic for island. Don't know much about scottish gaelic but a lot of the words, I am told, are similar
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
joseph wrote:
The mountains in Co. Mayo at just 650 meters are not renowned for skiing!

That might to do with the effects of the NAD as anything. How high are the French Juras?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
How about this fine example, Blackgang chine chair lift

That was the very first chair lift I ever went on, would have been in the summer 1977 or 1978.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sadly, even the highest mountains of Ireland (which are only a bit lower than the Scottish peaks) apparently collect little snow. A few years ago we took a summer holiday at the foot of the Conor Pass on the Dingle Peninsula (an utterly magnificent destination), which is an impressively high mountain road in the midst of some of highest summits, and I asked a local farmer if the pass was ever blocked.

He gave me the impression he'd never seen a snowplough in the area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, same here. It is/was actually at Alum Bay, by the Needles where the different coloured sands are. The tourist experience was to walk down the trail, fill a lightbulbed shapes glass er, bulb with layers of the different coloured sand, seal it, get the chairlift back up, go home and display object for all to see. Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I gave one of those to my Nan when I was about 10.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could put my Nan in one of those now Laughing Confused Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MR VINCE I'm shocked and saddened at your ignorance! We do have motorised vehicles over here, albeit most are tractors or some other form of agricultural equipment (just ask johnboy). NehNeh

And to clear up any further confusion, we get Eastenders (worst luck), Corrie and EVEN the same News programs as you lot on the 'Mainland' (as we like to call your homeland). I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked in England if I've ever seen Coronation Street!! My sister was in Reading when Princess Diana died and someone asked her if she (my sis) knew who she was - and you call us Irish thick!!!! Shocked

Getting back to this thread, I was on a chairlift on the beautiful island of Capri last year - does that make the Italians as thick as us Irish.... Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh dear, tried to use a quote and bold text in that last one but failed miserably. Just reinforcing the 'thick paddy' stereotype..... Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy