Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting Fit

Poster: A snowHead
bar shaker, But if she was doing all this she wouldn't be a 45 year old mum of average fitness. A few years ago I was doing two sessions of hard circuits, plus 3 or four runs of between 10 and 20 miles each week - but I was not of "average fitness" then, and certainly didn't consider myself not fit enough for skiing. Talking about a fitness regime like yours can only be discouraging to to the "inadequately fit", as they simply won't be able to see that it is possible for them (whether it is or not).

Everyone needs to start with targets that are doable for them, that they can see are doable.

I agree that age is not the relevant factor, I was at my fittest ever at age 44 (just before the discs in spine went Sad ), but I know that if I set the same targets now as I achieved then I would set myself up for failure.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
bar shaker, but how many small kids do you look after?

Er, none. We do both work though and I also have to contend with an inexplicable desire to go to the pub every evening.

At our gym (Virgin), the young mum's mostly go during the day when their older kids are at school. There is a creche for their pre-school kids.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Robin S I'm not sure I agree.

I hardly go to the gym at all in the summer. If I do, its just for an occasional spin class or a bit of golf swing specific muscle building. I may go once or twice a month, rarely any more often. Come October I almost live there, getting ready for the snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter in law has looked into the creche thing, and has dabbled, but it's expensive with two kids, and tends to be difficult to find the right class which coincides with when the baby is not needing a sleep and in a decent mood to be left with strangers. I find classes expensive - over £4 a time now - and a trip with two kids costs a fortune. And it's not worth joining unless you are really going to go a lot (that's how they make all their dosh!). My DiL was a competitive swimmer, and that's really the best exercise for her, but she's not super strong-willed and once you add the organisation required AND the money she gets discouraged. I find myself that when you've not done anything for a while, it's harder to get yourself going again - often the first step is the hardest. I am at this moment trying to psych myself up to get out in the foul weather and go to a 5.30 pm class locally. I have every sympathy with people who are at home with kids - it's really not easy. Far easier when you're working because you're geared up to an externally-imposed timetable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lose weight.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I think the biggest motivation is if you can workout with someone else, be it a friend you already know or someone you meet at the gym. You don't want to let them down and find the time/strength/drive to get there and do the job.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker, yes, you're right. It's good to find someone to help keep up your motivation, And now I AM off (all one my own!) to the 5.30 "Bums, Tums and Thighs" class. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold,
Quote:

Lose weight.

For most people very true - but if you use exercise as well as diet to help lose weight you will get fitter as well as having less lard to cart around - which is what I'm working on at present rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That should help you:

http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=691&desc=Ski%20Fitness%20-%20Exercise%20Planner&section=21

http://www.viddler.com/explore/kirkhillgc/videos/2/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold, that's a bit rude! The OP might be very skinny already!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not scared off - big thank you for all your posts! Sorry for not replying earlier!
I have started running again 2 times a week (freezing today!) and in the New Year will do a circuits class - thanks for that idea. Thanks for understanding the limited time angle - before kids I did manage tons of exercise - but time is now not my own! Sounds like my general fitness will be OK if I stick to what I am doing now - it's just the specific muscles that get called into action skiing that cause me frustration when I run out of steam long before the last lift!
Thanks again everyone!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris wrote:
Drink a bottle of red and eat 4lbs of cheese a night

And don't forget the lunchtime Beers and Genepi, or you won't be able to take the pace throughout the day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're right Boris - that's better practise for going skiing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brookside, I go to a local sports hall Bodymax class. It's kinda like step with some weights. You can start with smaller dumbells and work up and it's a good all round work out... But sometimes I'm the only bloke there ... wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WayneC wrote:
... sometimes I'm the only bloke there ...

Bonus!
snow report
Brookside, squats, lunges, box jumps, pistols in order of importance...do any 3 of these exercises (but always include squats) on a day on day off cycle with 5k runs on the off days...rest on the 5th day and repeat......N.B...do not use machines (leg press, leg curl etc)...they isolate the target muscle but negate the assistant muscles which are equally as important...increase your calories from fat intake as this is the best source of energy you can get, eat a calorie dense meal IMMEDIATELY after training to replenish the muscles and increase your total daily calorie intake by 30-50% to maximise results...

okbye
snow conditions
I find my "skiing specific" muscles hurt a lot less if I focus on getting my behind underneath me - which requires core strength more than anything else. So my focus would be on core strength more than anything else, and stretching any known tight spots - for me it's my calf muscles!
ski holidays
Don't matter how fit or unfit I get, still get just as knackered
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy