Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grass skiing, anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3536819.stm

Or perhaps the sand dune version would be more appropriate Sad Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see that it's Swiss research, and the authors are quoted at the end:

"We don't attempt to determine the cause. We only report what we find."

Very Swiss!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember seeing grass skiing at Hillend, Edinburgh in the late 70's. During the summer hot shots used grass skis, that I recall were about 2 ft long with caterpillar tracks, to blast down the grassy areas next to the plastic slope.

I haven't seen or heard of grass skiing since. Is it still available ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AB Ski, you need to check PG's site at http://grass-ski.alpesprovence.net/ for all the grass-ski=ing info you could want!

I thought we might be getting some action on global warming after Kyoto, but it looks like we won't. The problem seems to be that the level of scientific proof required to get action is somewhat beyond what is achievable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian, the sceptic in me wonders which is more important to the 'movers and shakers'... compelling evidence (concepts of what represents definitive proof on this topic being somewhat subjective?) or private agendas....

(Did you see the Observer article on the alleged leak of the Pentagon report, which is supposed to contradict the Bush line?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GWB has got a wide range of scientists rather peeved. Relevant to this debate is the White House applying pressure to the US Environmental Protection Agency to remove any reference to the human impact on climate from a recent report.

I saw the Observer report - this is an interesting one - in some ways it has the greatest scope for political impact (Bush will listen to the Pentagon), but it wasn't clear what it's scientific credentials were.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AB Ski, These the skis you remember? LE SAUZE 2002
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw grass skiing in Devon, near Woolacombe, a couple of years ago. I also saw a "Grass Boarding" centre had opened near here the other day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grass skiing is advertised as being available at Rother Valley although I've never seen anyone doing it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grass skiing was big in the Seventies. A substantial road show went around the country with all the hardware available to rent, and rope tows to get you up the hill. Sites included Hampstead Heath in London, and Butser Hill near Petersfield (Hants) which was probably the best location in southern England.

I recall a farm out west which was turned into a semi-permanent grass skiing centre, but I can't remembers where it was.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, I think the national championship the site refers to must have been quite a few years ago. David Goldsmith, There used to be an active grass skiing centre in S. Wales once, with some high level competitors that did well in the European circuit. In the last contact I had with one former champ she told me she'd taken up motor rallying instead Confused marc gledhill, I'd be interested to know where that was/who was doing it... the Europeans are trying to rekindle interest in the UK at the moment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, Woolacombe is a tiny place on the North Devon coast. A farmer ran a caravan site but also offered horse riding, mountain biking and had a tow and course set up for grass skiing.

Must confess I didn't have a go, but I could see it from the road. I'd guess a few hundred yards long.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, yes these look exactly like the 'skis' I remember. I did try them once but found it a bit beyond me (my ski technique in the 70s relied upon skidded turns and I recall that grass skis don't skid). It would be interesting to have another go now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AB Ski, there is a wheeled ski that's a bit easier for beginners - it's true though that trying a skid stop on either type is definitely not recommended! Because no sliding is possible, it certainly teaches you to carve early on....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill, Thanks Marc, though it doesn't sound as if it's the place to launch a new campaign for the sport from!
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, going back to the Pentagon report, there's considerably more information at:

http://www.ems.org/climate/pentagon_climate_change.html with the full report at:

http://www.ems.org/climate/pentagon_climatechange.pdf

Still seems to contain a lot of speculation and little in the way of references however.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Still seems to contain a lot of speculation and little in the way of references however.

In a document from the American military ? And your point is ? Very Happy
latest report
The point lay in it being a report from a apparently pro-GWB institution that surprisingly ran contrary to the Bush line, somewhat embarassing in fact. It will be interesting to see how Bush approaches the global warming issue in the light of this 'study' and the allegedly more ecologically friendly approach of his new opponent for presidential office. Sudden about-turn, perhaps?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy