Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

These are a few of my favourite things...

Poster: A snowHead
The "Pet hates" thread seems to have have struck a nerve, but snowHeads are smiley, happy people. So what are your favourite moments when ski=ing?

The view as you come out of the top of the funicular at Saas Fee has to be one of my favourite things.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Making fresh tracks all day on a powder day

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 7-03-04 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every time I return to Wengen

but in all seriousness watching the sunset as the light changes the coulour on the Jungfrau must be one of the most inspiring sights in the world
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being the first off the top lift in the morning, no one in sight...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The feeling that I felt when I tackled my first steep red, I only fell once! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Related to PG's - being the first person on a particular slope in the morning. Freshly groomed courdoroy with a light dusting of early morning powder.

Also that moment when it all just clicks - mid-carve, feeling at one with your skis!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not thinking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saturday skiing. Off season skiing (especially pre Christmas) after a big powder dump. That first apres ski beer after an awesome day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having pushed it just a little harder/faster/further than before, haviing tried something new/different - or just done it better - and stayed in control !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
austin7, yeah, that reminds me: undoing the clips of your boots in the bar as you sip your first beer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stopping really quickly by your mates who have fallen over and covering them in snow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WTFH- never bothers me - have been know to remain 'in boot', fully clipped, for several hours after returning back of an evening !

Heleln - fun doing that to boarders sat in the piste, definately one for the list Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Every time I return to Wengen

but in all seriousness watching the sunset as the light changes the coulour on the Jungfrau must be one of the most inspiring sights in the world

I have to agree with DGO here. The Jungfrau when it is at its best has to be one of the most awe inspiring sites you can possible be privileged to see.

The peacefulness of the mountains and as long as you are no where near, watching avalanches.

Also not falling over for the whole holiday is quite nice too. (and don't say that means I am not learning - I don't like falling over if I can help it!!!!! Wink )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, John Coltrane's epic sax solo in his version of your thread title has to be one of the great jazz performances. The man must have had lungs of huge capacity, the way he sustained a note or a phrase. It would be brilliant music for a sequence of skiing across a vast landscape.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Getting the last lift up and taking it really easy because it's the very last run of the day. Letting everyone else rush off and feeling like U are the only one on the mountain - until the piste patrol and their dog turn up to hurry U home.

Stopping in the evening sunshine just a couple of metres before U reach the shade and waiting a few minutes as the sun sets behind the oposite side of the valley.
snow report
watching the colours of the Dolomites change fron brown to pink to purple as the sun goes down, fantastic photos of the effect of light on the rocks
snow report
Being with good friends on the le Fornet glacier watching a cloud of ice crystals suspended in the air shimmering and dancing all around me.
Magical.
Then racing all the way to the bottom!
snow report
Grabbing the milk run with the patrol on a powder morning.

Finding lonely powder shots in the trees.

Being at the edge of the bowl when they drop the ropes.

Being snowed in at Breckenridge for the "storm of the century" last spring.

Deep snow on any ski day. snowHead
ski holidays
Watching Pierrick Bourgeat and Bode M race each other for fun before the children's parallel finals at Alpe d'H last year, seeing how it can and should be done! Same meet the year before in Les Menuires, watching Carole Montillet open the girls' national GS finals, a couple of weeks after winning the downhill gold in Salt Lake - and realising that nobody's perfect! (Not CM's best event)... In general, watching the heros easily mixing with the kids, making it a day they'll never forget...
Bourgeat - Covilli - Tissot - Montillet
ski holidays
Being so cold you think you are about to just sit down - give up - and just say to hubbie "save yourself" - and then seeing my favourite restaurant looming over the hill in the distance..... A steak and a bottle of wine - and I was in heaven..... Little Angel
latest report
The first lift up of the holiday.....filled with anticipation as the week ahead seems to stretch forever.

Unfortunately, last run down usually seems to arrive too quickly Crying or Very sad
snow report
Away from it all off-piste, with no other group and no man man objects in sight, in good snow with the sun shining.
ski holidays
Red Dave wrote:
Saturday skiing. Off season skiing (especially pre Christmas) after a big powder dump. That first apres ski beer after an awesome day.

Yes and yes Very Happy Saturday's our day out normally, some skiing and a good lunch as a rule, Quite cheap really, keeps me out of hi-fi, computer and ski shops on a Saturday.
ski holidays
Any narrow, flattish track through the trees just after a snowfall - or even better, during one.

The long, slow chair on the Veny side of Courmayeur.

Plan de la Gabba, right off the chair at Courmayeur.

Ventina and the "boulder" area of Cervinia.

Finding the right sloped piste for your mood and just getting it right.

A quick coffee wit kirsch/scnapps/grappa in a blizzard.

Being in cloud so thick that you can see one orange pole, but not the form of the snow, on a piste you're on for the first time ever, so you have no idea which direction to face, let alone to go.

Finishing the holiday with a black that's just difficult enough to not make you want to great straight back up the mountain again.

The first run of the holiday.

Denta Gigante on the Monte Bianco ridge. Especially when it's lit by the sun.

Monte Bianco and the dames Anglaise, the Grand Jurasses and the whole ridge.

Skiing under the Matterhorn/Cervina.

Being so isolated at Val d'ISere to wonder just how a simple chairlift can mean we can go into an area, in conditions, where we'd otherwise be lucky to get out alive. And remembering that fact.

My fall on Plan de la Gabba.

Many,many, more...
snowHead
snow report
The first run on a trip when it all begins to feel natural again...
ski holidays
How quiet it is after fresh snow. It just seems to absorb all noise and vibration
ski holidays
Sliding on my face for 100m and realising nothing is broken! Little Angel

Last run of the holiday - always end on a blinder! Very Happy
snow conditions
The end of a run when everything has gone right - speed, control, balance, rythm - ending with a really loud wahey shout!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Following a long journey including 10 hr's on plane, 2 1/2 hr's in a bus. Checking in at the hotel, dumping luggage just inside the room door and running out agian, around to the front of the hotel. Checking it is still there, and saying hello to - Whistler Mountain. Such a feeling of "coming home". 3 weeks to go...
snow report
From my last trip; fighting down from the top of the hill through a high wind (we had to skate and pole to go DOWN a track), fairly heavy snow and feeling like I'm freezing up. Then get below the trees, it's quiet, empty, every tracks a new track and for the first time I get it together in deeper snow.

Then back up again on the only cable car still running - three of us in a car that holds a couple of hundred - to do it again. snowHead
snow conditions
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Vin Chaud of the trip
snow conditions
Timberwolf, Often followed not much later by the least favourite moment, when you realise that you'd paid through the nose for hot gut-rot cheap plonk disguised with plenty of cloves...
ski holidays
Quite right PG, but we never learn................
snow report
1) An long empty courdroy slope just for me.
2) Hot chocolate with lashings and lashings of rum.
3) Seeing the tops of mountains peeking through sunlit cloud like heavenly islands.
4) Grinning so wide that if you grinned any wider your head would fall off.
5) Looking forward to the next holiday.
snow report
The Alps from a plane window.
ski holidays
Arriving in the resort. Cold days with blue skies and plenty of sunshine. The peacefulness of being the only person on the chairlift. Steep pistes, beautiful scenery and good company. Lots of reds with a few blacks and blues thrown in. Stopping only for lunch. Being last back to the chalet straight from the last run of the day. Feeling skied out and that I’ve earned a nice cup of tea and slice of cake. Going back next time, whenever that may be.
snow conditions
Knocking the branches of a tree with your poles so that the person behind you gets a face full of snow Twisted Evil
snow conditions
At the front of the queue when the 7th Heaven lift opens on a powder day.
ski holidays
When you realise that your boots don't hurt any more.
snow report
AB Ski wrote:
When you realise that your boots don't hurt any more.

...and it's not just cause you took them off an hour earlier...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy